Quest to Rescue Lady Barunnas Alant, House of Ballinford

Ithril
Ithril
Ranger
Ranger

Quest to Rescue Lady Barunnas Alant, House of Ballinford

#1 Post by Ithril »

Ruldun, Ninth day of Hothrin

Early the next morning, long before the sun has broken the line of the horizon on the Eriztern Ocean, you rise, eat a meager breakfast, and depart the city of Stomanell to travel to Tirby. It is fortunate that the weather is good for travel. The morning is a bit chilly, but you haven't arranged transportation, and so you must walk.

By mid morning, the warm sun has dispelled any chill from the early morning, and you find yourselves removing any heavier cloaks or garments. The sea breeze still rises to give you a refreshing breath of it's cool salty air.

The countryside you are traveling is mostly settled. Farms and fields harboring the regular assortment of livestock and common pack animals continue to line the road, with few places that do not clearly belong to one farm or another. To the Wenzt, the Krekur Forest is only a thin line when you can see it, but usually it is beyond your sight. The farmers here are wise though, and have not totally clear cut the land, leaving small copses and groves between or along their farms. The regular farm, however suggests you will not likely have trouble from anything more than a stubborn mule, and grumpy horses (or farmers) that may bite.

It is early evening when you finally reach your destination in the town of Tirby. Your legs are tired and your feet are sore, but without too much trouble you find a hostel that has room for weary travelers. This small village is a way-station for people traveling from Stomenell to Ballinford, and there are many such inns.

With the fees paid (5sp/day, or 3 gp/week) for the rooms, you return to the hall for some food (Meals are also 5sp/day) and conversation. Without much difficulty, you find that the local Seneschal has been expecting a rescue party of the Dukes Royal Guards to rescue the Lady Barunnas Alant; and also where to meet him.

Anyone who wishes to inquire about other local legends, please roll 1d6, add your Charisma adjustment bonus: Any results = 5 or more means that your character learns some rumors while mingling with the patrons of the inn.

Though the saloon stays busy late into the night, you are tired from your journeys, and retire to your rooms to rest. Tomorrow you will have to face an opponent that strikes fear into many: dealing with those who govern a small town.

Basdae, Tenth day of Hothrin

In the morning, you arise, and take your breakfast in the common room, after which you make way across the village to the city council chambers. When Conwenna presents her letter from The Duke to the Village secretariat, you are told that the kidnappers have made a ransom demand to be left in the ruins of the temple near the Sea, or they will sell Lady Barunnas Alant into slavery! The Seneschal is disappointed that The Duke sent mercenaries instead of his trained guard to negotiate with the kidnappers, but he doesn't have any resources to attempt a rescue himself, and they certainly cannot pay the ransom demand to rescue The Lady Alant. And even if he could rescue her, he doesn't know where she is being kept.

Once the exchanges with futility are done, you find yourselves gathered once more at the Tavern to decide your next course of action. It is Noon.
Last edited by Ithril on Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:03 am, edited 3 times in total.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Quest to Rescue Lady Barunnas Alant, House of Ballinford

#2 Post by Rex »

Conweena

"It looks like we are going to the ruins by the sea. Can you tell us anything about it?"

Rumors [1d6+1]=5+1=6

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Igber appears to have been totally distracted by one of the local lasses at the Inn. His perch at the bar has been totally abandoned and he's found a down-covered corner to spend the day while enjoying the distraction. He finally returns to the Inn's common room to discover the party readying themselves for another expedition.
Err... he says looking sheepish ...What's the plan?
Whoever it is, he's clearly smitten! Completely oblivious.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by gurusql »

Traesta

Traesta will attempt to gather rumors.

Random d6: [1d6]=4+5 = 9

"At the very least we need to know the direction and distance to the ruins"

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by redwarrior »

Dorath spends a fair amount of time in the tavern, chatting with the bartender, servers, and any one interesting in talking into the evening.

Rumors [1d6+3]=5+3=8

After getting the leather blessed in the morning we left Stomanell, Dorath carefully cut it into 24 small squares at one of our rest breaks on the road. Putting most into his pack, he keeps one piece out and quietly mumbles over i,t and suddenly yanks it on both sides, causing it to snap he folds it double and slides it inside his tunic. (Armor cast) Both Holy Waters to Traestra.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by ravenn4544 »

Pebble is relieved to be out of the larger city, but the local politics and conversation are a stretch for him. He can't really tell if the gossip he has heard was truth or just made up stories. He shrugs it off as unimportant to the task they have before them anyway.

Rumor [1d6]=2

"Good idea on the location of the ruins - is it hours or days or weeks away? I guess it can't be too far right?" He tries to think of a strategy to help here but nothing comes to mind. "So now what? Do walk in the front door with no ransom?" He rubs the fresh scars of his recent wounds in hesitation. "There has to be a sneaky way to do this, right?"

sunphoenix
Guide
Guide

#7 Post by sunphoenix »

Harker will meet the people of Tirby congenially asking what troubles may be of note or needy that call the town home that might need help. Though the party is there to rescue Lady Barunnas Alant, Harker is cognizant not to ignore other injustices or needs suffered by the local citizenry. He cannot solve ALL the evils or hardships of the world but he does try to lend a hand where he can if such is within his power. So after a brief rest on arrival he interact with the people of the town helping with whatever little tasks he can to make life a little easier... running errands, chopping wood for elderly residents such simple deeds until the even sets in.

In the evening sup he will chat with the towns folk over dinner asking about legends, or rumors of dangers or threats to the local peace...

Conversations & Rumors [1d6+6]=2+6=8

The next day after the meeting with the Seneschal he will gather with the party at noon in the Tavern.

Nodding to his companion he will pause and suggest in a whisper, "I think we should first gather in one of our rooms to discuss our next actions than discuss anything in the common room... as if I were some local miscreant, I would certainly make sure I had ears in the common places to keep tabs on what the local lord might be planning."

He will gesture toward their rooms... hoping the party will follow to a more private venue to plan...
"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#8 Post by redwarrior »

Dorath follows Harker's lead. Once in the private room, he will share a rumor he heard that "They say an ancient cult uses the desecrated temple for their foul and abominable ceremonies! It brings ill luck to any who speak of such things."

Ancient cults and rescuing princesses are both outside of his experience, and so he will gladly defer to the others for planning, unless some of his skills in acting of disguise might be of use.

Ithril
Ranger
Ranger

#9 Post by Ithril »

ravenn4544 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:09 am Pebble is relieved to be out of the larger city, but the local politics and conversation are a stretch for him. He can't really tell if the gossip he has heard was truth or just made up stories. He shrugs it off as unimportant to the task they have before them anyway.

Rumor [1d6]=2

"Good idea on the location of the ruins - is it hours or days or weeks away? I guess it can't be too far right?" He tries to think of a strategy to help here but nothing comes to mind. "So now what? Do walk in the front door with no ransom?" He rubs the fresh scars of his recent wounds in hesitation. "There has to be a sneaky way to do this, right?"
It occurs to you that a bit of loose coin might loosen the local barkeep's tongue a bit as well.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by gurusql »

Traesta

Traesta agrees that the private plan is better. After getting into the private area.

"When looking for rumors, I was not able to find anything on the ruins of the castle or the temple by the sea - not even where it is or how far. I just heard the forest is full of ogres and other foul creatures."

sunphoenix
Guide
Guide

#11 Post by sunphoenix »

Harker rejoins his companions within their private rooms he will continue.

"I too have only been able to gather vague rumors that the ruins are reputed to be a place where miscreants and pirates are thought to lurk about, but nothing truly specific."

He sighs, "So we must be subtle least our investigations spook the abductors to flee. So yes Pebble we can do this in a sneaky way... and we will. If we had more time other options might be available but time is of the essence. So we will make our way toward the Ruins but I expect the main roads will be being watched by the criminals so we will follow the road but from a distance ~ say 60 or so yards off the main road, keeping our eyes open for the criminal lookouts. It will be slow going but we will need to move from cover to cover to avoid open travel."

He turns his gaze upon Igber, "To this we will have to rely upon your skills at stealth Igber.. you will have point of on our approach..the rest of us lagging back at least 60yards so as not to spoil your quiet stalking. Can you get a bird whistle from the markets here perhaps...something we would recognize? As we advance should you spot something suspicious you tweet your whistle to warn us to stop.. three tweets for stop, two long tweet to keep moving."

"Once we just gain sight of the Ruins we hide and approach no further... but again must rely on you Igber to not approach the ruins but circle them looking for any criminal lookouts. Pebble will go with you.. not to circle but to wait in a place of concealment you decide upon Igber. Pebble is there just to make sure if you are spotted and pursued.. you have a fighter type close by to render aid in your escape. You are only to look for lookouts and get the lay of the ruins to bring that intel back to us so we can plot a proper approach by the most concealed approach if possible. We do not know how many brigands are involved with this so any idea of how many we will be facing is Vital to find out. We are not an army so we must not give up our element of surprise which may be our only advantage over an unknown number of enemies!"

"It's noon now by the time we get there it may be near dusk. That will be the ideal time to use the cover of twilight to approach the ruins and search for the brigands hopefully before they spot us."

"The point of all this subterfuge being to not spook the brigands into fleeing or hurting their captive so a stealthy approach is a must."

He pauses meeting everyone's gaze, "Does this sound like a suitable approach? Or does anyone have a better idea of how to accomplish our goal?"

Ithril
Ranger
Ranger

#12 Post by Ithril »

It's easy enough to surmise that whatever else, the ruins are near the sea. There are few roads that go that direction. Most converge going Nordt to Ballinford or Sount to Stomanell. Several meander in the Wenzt among the farms, but very few approach the sea to the Erizt.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Rex »

Conweena

"The plan sounds fine with me."

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#14 Post by redwarrior »

Dorath nods his agreement. It sounds like a solid way to go about it. I trust I will stay with the main group, and do what I can from a distance. I am OK with a sling, but not much for hand to hand combat, as you may have guessed. If Pebble or Igber are willing, I can prepare a swatch of leather that will protect you as well as Scale mail, though it will only give that protection for a hit or two...

I have one Armor spell memorized that I could cast before we move out. It gives AC 6 and stacks with dex, but not other protections. It will last until you've taken 10 points of damage.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by gurusql »

Traesta

"I do agree that the plan is sound, just in case of injury other than my Blessing of Dorath's leather I have taken 3 cures."

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by ravenn4544 »

Pebble with no real information from talking to the locals gives up and sits at the bar for a meal and an ale. It occurs to him watching money change hands that he could add a few gold pieces to his bill to help find out some info on the temple and it's location.

Then, he indeed joins the group to discuss the plans. He is quite impressed at the complex plan that is laid out and what to do. Nothing like that would have ever occurred to him.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by BackworldTraveller »

sunphoenix wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:47 am Harker rejoins his companions within their private rooms he will continue.

"I too have only been able to gather vague rumors that the ruins are reputed to be a place where miscreants and pirates are thought to lurk about, but nothing truly specific."

He sighs, "So we must be subtle least our investigations spook the abductors to flee. So yes Pebble we can do this in a sneaky way... and we will. If we had more time other options might be available but time is of the essence. So we will make our way toward the Ruins but I expect the main roads will be being watched by the criminals so we will follow the road but from a distance ~ say 60 or so yards off the main road, keeping our eyes open for the criminal lookouts. It will be slow going but we will need to move from cover to cover to avoid open travel."
60 yards is open country will be much too close. 600 is more like it. You can see people moving a long way off across country - especially if you have a height advantage. Woods would be another matter. Do we know what the terrain is there?
sunphoenix wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:47 am He turns his gaze upon Igber, "To this we will have to rely upon your skills at stealth Igber.. you will have point of on our approach..the rest of us lagging back at least 60yards so as not to spoil your quiet stalking. Can you get a bird whistle from the markets here perhaps...something we would recognize? As we advance should you spot something suspicious you tweet your whistle to warn us to stop.. three tweets for stop, two long tweet to keep moving."
[/quote
A good bird whistle will sound like the bird it's imitating. Easy to make a mistake as they are bound to be local birds! But I get the theory. Something naturalistic but different.
sunphoenix wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:47 am "Once we just gain sight of the Ruins we hide and approach no further... but again must rely on you Igber to not approach the ruins but circle them looking for any criminal lookouts. Pebble will go with you.. not to circle but to wait in a place of concealment you decide upon Igber. Pebble is there just to make sure if you are spotted and pursued.. you have a fighter type close by to render aid in your escape. You are only to look for lookouts and get the lay of the ruins to bring that intel back to us so we can plot a proper approach by the most concealed approach if possible. We do not know how many brigands are involved with this so any idea of how many we will be facing is Vital to find out. We are not an army so we must not give up our element of surprise which may be our only advantage over an unknown number of enemies!"
You can rely on me..."He who fights and runs away lives." Being chased by dogs or horses or anything faster than me is a scary prospect.
sunphoenix wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:47 am "It's noon now by the time we get there it may be near dusk. That will be the ideal time to use the cover of twilight to approach the ruins and search for the brigands hopefully before they spot us."
I've heard some things can see in the dark. We may do better setting up further away and starting early on the approach.
sunphoenix wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:47 am "The point of all this subterfuge being to not spook the brigands into fleeing or hurting their captive so a stealthy approach is a must."

He pauses meeting everyone's gaze, "Does this sound like a suitable approach? Or does anyone have a better idea of how to accomplish our goal?"
Overall, these brigands must feel relatively safe - everyone knows where they hang out - so we'd best assume that they will be watching for people coming directly, or through locals watching for them, from a long way off.

Also, they must get supplies from somewhere - if they were raiding taxable stuff, the army would have attacked ages ago. So they must be trading. Maybe we can watch their suppliers and remove some opposition that way.

sunphoenix
Guide
Guide

#18 Post by sunphoenix »

Harker listened intently to Igber's assessment and improvements upon the strategy nodding in acceptance...

He smiled, "This is exactly what I was hoping you could help with Igber... I'd originally thought 60 yards {600feet} from the road would be sufficient and necessary cause none of us are familiar with the area and I did not want to risk us getting lost or misdirected in the unfamiliar terrain wilderness. We will have to see what the terrain is like on the way to the Ruins but I'll leave plotting our course to your skillful eye as to what the best concealed approach will be."

His expression is shocked at the mention of beings able to see in the dark... and remarks, "Really?!? You think it possible the brigands are working with Wichtelmännchen?!? I had not considered that!! They seemed unwilling to be reasonable for any agreement with humans. We will have to play it by ear to plan our approach as close to twilight as possible dim lighting but not so dark as we cannot see!"
{OOC: Remember, the GM has declared this a LOW-FANTASY world as No Demi-humans 'Dwarves, Elves, Gnomes, Half-elves or Halflings'... cause 'shrug' "reasons".. so we have NO familiarity with anything but humans who do not see in the dark.}

But he nods in agreement, "Yes, clearly the Brigands have intel on the goings on in town and feel secure to ransom the lady from a place of local knowledge... so we must be very careful how we approach this. We will of course deal with any of their lookouts or informants we discover. Again you will be center stage on this operation Igber as I'm wholly un-trained in matter of stealth and clandestine assault. We'll be relying on you heavily."

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by BackworldTraveller »

sunphoenix wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:21 pm But he nods in agreement, "Yes, clearly the Brigands have intel on the goings on in town and feel secure to ransom the lady from a place of local knowledge... so we must be very careful how we approach this. We will of course deal with any of their lookouts or informants we discover. Again you will be center stage on this operation Igber as I'm wholly un-trained in matter of stealth and clandestine assault. We'll be relying on you heavily."
Igber
I'm not sure my experience counts as training!

One thing...as we won't want to make fires - we will need dry-tack to eat! I wonder if the Inn could supply cold pies?

sunphoenix
Guide
Guide

#20 Post by sunphoenix »

Harker chuckles, "Well I'll count on your experience then, my friend!"

Then looking at everyone, "So we have a plan.. let's get too it!"

Return to “Dooms of Evisath (2e)”