Quest to Rescue Lady Barunnas Alant, House of Ballinford

Ithril
gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Quest to Rescue Lady Barunnas Alant, House of Ballinford

#741 Post by gurusql »

Traesta

Traesta will follow Harker up the stairs mace out. (And Detect Magic still active)

sunphoenix
Guide
Guide

#742 Post by sunphoenix »

Does Harker detect Evil up the stairwell from the approaching spellcaster?

Saving Throw Vs Spells 15+ {+2pal} [1d20 + 2]=10+ 2=12

Dex Check 13- [1d20]=17
"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Ithril
Ranger
Ranger

#743 Post by Ithril »

Pebble continues to pile furniture from the room on the bed and against the door, dumping whatever is on them to the floor (except for the lamp, which he puts near the hearth in a rush). Traesta urges frantically "We must decide up or out. In addition to the wizard there is still the captured ape upstairs." Harker nods at Traesta, and leaving Pebble to his task, charges for the stairs. His paladin sense telling him he has no time to spare if he wishes to force a tactical disadvantage on the mage.

On the floor, Lannas continues his battle with Conweena, still calling for his master to aid him, but before he can find a way past Conweena's tactics, Igber tackles him from behind, momentarily tangling him with his sling. Conweena, takes full advantage of Igber's distraction, and deals a powerful blow against the pirate's leathern helm. Clearly dazed by the blow, the pirate makes another wild swing stumbling into Traesta's path.

Traesta has to navigate around the melee as Conweena and the pirate flail about, but is finally able to follow Harker who has already reached the steps

Dorath looses a bullet, stinging the buccaneer and he turns towards the pain, allowing Conweena to deliver another powerful blow, sending the brigand to the floor senseless, like a sack of stones. A louder crash though, comes from the steps!

Harker in his rush, has misjudged the course of steps and has landed full faced on the stair. In the sudden quiet, you can hear a door open, calm, obscure words are heard, and then more clearly a soothing voice croons almost melodically "Come, my Brother. We can discuss this simple misunderstanding. I'll explain it all to you, my friend. It's all right, every thing will be fine. I hope that stumble didn't hurt..." the voice fades and you hear the sound of the door closing.

By the time Traesta reaches the stair, Harker is GONE. The door at the top of the steps is closed.

Before Traesta can react or explain what happened, another sound reaches you. A mounted force of at least six men is at the tower door. You can hear them dismount, and demand entry in common with a familiar accent, forcefully pounding on the door!

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#744 Post by Rex »

Conweena

Conweena will rush up up to the door Harker went through.

As she runs, "Someone tie up the pirate and deal with the other door."

She tries the door, if locked she tries to shoulder it open.

Open doors (9) [1d20]=7

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#745 Post by redwarrior »

Dorath will quickly aid in tying up the pirate before he regains his senses, and help toss him on the bed blocking the door going down. As he does, he will shout to Conweena I think Harker has been Charmed! Beware he may act out of character! Once the pirate is out of the way, he will turn to Pebble and ask What do you think of the company? Any chance they might be on our side? Their accent sounds familiar, though I'm having trouble placing it in the excitement.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#746 Post by gurusql »

Traesta

Since Traesta knows that strength is not her strong suit (pun intended) she will let Conweena crash the door and she will follow.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#747 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Igber aids in tying up the poor unfortunate pirate

And takes the opportunity to check him for blades, valuables, etc.

Before heading to the barricade.

I've no idea who it is, but the Zombies might be unhappy about their noise-making.

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#748 Post by redwarrior »

Dorath Igber, why don't you let them in. I'll stand back a bit until we know their intent. Maybe they can help with the undead or the wizard! If I shout "Puppies!" Turn away from me or shield your eyes!

Still got color spray which is a pretty good point-blank low-level spell.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#749 Post by ravenn4544 »

Pebble strains at the barrier and is confused about the various calamities around him - what to do?! Dorath asks him a question and he snaps his attention back to that "Voices?.." he listens and his open wide, "I can't tell! Could it be those knights that were giving Harker such a hard time??"

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#750 Post by BackworldTraveller »

redwarrior wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:30 am Dorath Igber, why don't you let them in. I'll stand back a bit until we know their intent. Maybe they can help with the undead or the wizard! If I shout "Puppies!" Turn away from me or shield your eyes!

Still got color spray which is a pretty good point-blank low-level spell.
Igber heads to the Door and Opens it with his best Steward's demeanour

Welcome, Welcome. Three floors of entertainment for all. Come in!

Ithril
Ranger
Ranger

#751 Post by Ithril »

The door at the top of the stairs closes, and you can hear the sound of a bolt sliding quickly, locking it shut.

Treasta tries the door, but it is useless, so she makes room for Conweena. In the room at the bottom of the stairs, Conweena instantly takes command of the situation "Someone tie up the pirate and deal with the other door." Without breaking her stride to ensure the others follow her orders, Conweena charges up the steps to the door. Dorath hollers after her "I think Harker has been Charmed! Beware he may act out of character! '"

Reaching the top of the step, Conweena doesn't slow for the barrier, but hits it hard with her shoulder. A few of the door's timbers crack at her assault, and another shove forces it open with a loud crash. Conweena and Traesta enter the wizards sanctum to rescue Harker. Meanwhile, downstairs...

Igber ties up the pirate and slips off the pirate's garnet adorned belt, while Dorath addresses Pebble "What do you think of the company? Any chance they might be on our side? Their accent sounds familiar, though I'm having trouble placing it in the excitement.", but Pebble is too overwhelmed at the excitement to answer. The banging on the door continues; horses stamp and whinny. A loud voice demands: "OPEN IN THE NAME OF THE DUKE!"

Pebble strains against the barrier, hoping his small frame will be enough to deter the undead should they start to break through the door behind his flimsy attempts to barricade it. "Voices?.." he listens and he tries to make sense of the situation, "I can't tell! Could it be those knights that were giving Harker such a hard time?" Igber replies to Pebble "I've no idea who it is, but the Zombies might be unhappy about their noise-making." Dorath settles the discussion "Igber, why don't you let them in. I'll stand back a bit until we know their intent. Maybe they can help with the undead or the wizard! If I shout "Puppies!" Turn away from me or shield your eyes!"

Dorath prepares his options as Igber approaches the door. He reaches for it, opens the door and there's NO ONE THERE! No horses, no soldiers!

Suddenly the room is drenched in an inky blackness. Igber turns to report his astonishment,but his report dies on his lips. No one can see anything. Near the mantle, the lamp still burns, the fire beyond it still roars with life, and the lantern set near the unconscious pirate is still glowing, but the fires give of no light! It is like the dark of the night outside flowed into the room like liquid ink, filling the entire tower.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#752 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Ithril wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:05 pm The door at the top of the stairs closes, and you can hear the sound of a bolt sliding quickly, locking it shut.

Treasta tries the door, but it is useless, so she makes room for Conweena. In the room at the bottom of the stairs, Conweena instantly takes command of the situation "Someone tie up the pirate and deal with the other door." Without breaking her stride to ensure the others follow her orders, Conweena charges up the steps to the door. Dorath hollers after her "I think Harker has been Charmed! Beware he may act out of character! '"

Reaching the top of the step, Conweena doesn't slow for the barrier, but hits it hard with her shoulder. A few of the door's timbers crack at her assault, and another shove forces it open with a loud crash. Conweena and Traesta enter the wizards sanctum to rescue Harker. Meanwhile, downstairs...

Igber ties up the pirate and slips off the pirate's garnet adorned belt, while Dorath addresses Pebble "What do you think of the company? Any chance they might be on our side? Their accent sounds familiar, though I'm having trouble placing it in the excitement.", but Pebble is too overwhelmed at the excitement to answer. The banging on the door continues; horses stamp and whinny. A loud voice demands: "OPEN IN THE NAME OF THE DUKE!"

Pebble strains against the barrier, hoping his small frame will be enough to deter the undead should they start to break through the door behind his flimsy attempts to barricade it. "Voices?.." he listens and he tries to make sense of the situation, "I can't tell! Could it be those knights that were giving Harker such a hard time?" Igber replies to Pebble "I've no idea who it is, but the Zombies might be unhappy about their noise-making." Dorath settles the discussion "Igber, why don't you let them in. I'll stand back a bit until we know their intent. Maybe they can help with the undead or the wizard! If I shout "Puppies!" Turn away from me or shield your eyes!"

Dorath prepares his options as Igber approaches the door. He reaches for it, opens the door and there's NO ONE THERE! No horses, no soldiers!

Suddenly the room is drenched in an inky blackness. Igber turns to report his astonishment,but his report dies on his lips. No one can see anything. Near the mantle, the lamp still burns, the fire beyond it still roars with life, and the lantern set near the unconscious pirate is still glowing, but the fires give of no light! It is like the dark of the night outside flowed into the room like liquid ink, filling the entire tower.
The first thing on Igber mind is to shut the door! Whether that just traps the darkness inside is a question that will have to be seen. The second thing is that this has to be Magic. Evil Magic or Standard Magic is anyone's guess. So, where is everyone? He listens carefully for each party member, trying to place them in the room from the noises they make.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#753 Post by ravenn4544 »

Pebble speaks out reflexively, "I can't see!" He stays put at his post at the door but one arm reaches out with his sword side-wise to protect from whatever is coming! "Everyone still here?!!"

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#754 Post by redwarrior »

Dorath, about 5 feet behind Igber calls out Protect the Puppies!!! and casts color spray towards where the door was.

"Puppies" was the signal for Igber to turn his head, close his eyes. It'll be interesting to see how theses spells, assuming the darkness is a spell and not an effect, interact. In any case, next round, he's charging the door. Which will hurt if Igber successfully closed it!

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#755 Post by ravenn4544 »

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#756 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Ithril
Ranger
Ranger

#757 Post by Ithril »

As soon as Igber sees there is no one beyond the door, he slams it shut. He hasn't seen such witchery, and it must be frightening. In the sudden darkness, he tries to make out who is where, but his attempt is ruined as Pebble calls out for his companions. "I can't see! Everyone still here?!!"

Pebble pulls his sword, and Dorath gives his warning "Protect the Puppies!!!"

Dorath completes his spell, and as his hand casts the sand in a horizontal arc, a sliver opens in the air, and positive energy flows into the room!

Igber and Pebble try to turn away from your signal, but despite the blackness (and these attempts), Pebble and Igber are suddenly awash in a vivid flood of rainbow colors thick like molasses, and as powerful as an ocean wave. They close their eyes in futility. The dazzling deluge overpowers their physical form, knocking them to the floor. The primordial other-planar light energy cuts through the thick darkness, and the relatively insubstantial flesh of the beings in it's path as if they weren't even there, stopping only when it reaches the physical barrier of wood and stone that compose the walls of the tower.

Dorath watches the darkness give way to the bright torrent like a thick sludge but as the lights fade, the sludgy blackness flows back into the space voided by the light, and fills it once again as if it was never there. Dorath charges towards what he hopes is an unseen enemy, but stops short when the voice speaks to him from across the room.

Unfortunately the spell can't really be blocked by not looking towards it, or if a being with sight simply closes their eyes. the description does say that creatures that are totally blind are immune to it, but that's not the case here. Fortunately, Dorath wasn't planning to murderize anyone with this kind of spell.

Also... I might have inadvertently started a new scenario by accident, and I haven't found any ready-made ones that will fit the parameters I've defined, so if you decide to pursue it, I'll have a LOT of work to do.

At any rate, I'm going to close this thread. This makes for a LOOONG day, and yes, it's only been one day (though it is sometime around 4:am Evisath World time). Look to Scouring the Tower Catacombs. I'll start a post there tomorrow if I can, Friday at the latest.

Return to “Dooms of Evisath (2e)”