03 - Back to Malforten

mithrandir138
Ranger
Ranger

03 - Back to Malforten

#1 Post by mithrandir138 »

The party slowly makes it back to Malforten, it is now late afternoon on the same day in which you left. The sound of the bells announces their return, and the two town guards you encounter let you pass without question. The guards say nothing to the party, but they exchange solemn glances with each other as if to say: "Perhaps these travelers are not the heroes that will save the town after all." Their faces become very worried and grim as they see the wounded, as if they feel the weight of crushing impending doom upon their town and their families.

You are just inside the border of the town. What do you do?

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: 03 - Back to Malforten

#2 Post by Dogma »

"You should see the other guys," Tomas says to the guards with a wink. "At least we're walking back for a hot meal and soft bed."

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#3 Post by NJWilliam »

Arot hefts his collection of crocodile steaks to his other shoulder, and says - loud enough for both his companions and the guards to hear -"Who ya think might be interested in some crocodile steak. Always heard they were good for yer manliness."

And then, less loudly to his companions, "I don't care to sleep in that inn another night in a row, I think I'll set up just outside o' town and cook some crocodile before sleepin' under the stars."
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#4 Post by Vargr1105 »

Alias keeps to himself during most of the night, musing on the strange dream he had and groaning due to the tender spots that the healing magic didn't fully heal.

Mondego
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#5 Post by Mondego »

"Since we came all the way back to town I see no reason why we shouldn't get a good nights rest at the inn."

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#6 Post by Dogma »

"Yes, a good nights rest, and a good meal, and a pint or two." adds Tomas, "and if the gods are willing, a fine lass or two wouldn't hurt. These fine people are in dire need of a good bit of entertainment and I intend to see they get it."

Blazeguard
Ranger
Ranger

#7 Post by Blazeguard »

Filibert inquires as to the availability of healing in town and avails himself of the service if accessible. He will procure a meal at the inn and then spend the night, providing it is offered gratis again or else he will join Arot under the stars.

jdluna
Guide
Guide

#8 Post by jdluna »

Luna stops by the shop and purchases darts and length of leather. He then joins the party for a good meal with the rest of the gang. He then turns in and studies his spellbook and works on turning the leather and croc tooth in to a makshift amulet.

mithrandir138
Ranger
Ranger

#9 Post by mithrandir138 »

Some exposition that I feel I left out

After your fight with the crocodiles, the Blink Dogs seem to tend to their each other by licking each other's wounds. The rest of the pack seem to be saying goodbye to the one that has befriended Filibert. They take off into the wilderness, and you do not see where they go.

Filibert's new canine companion is now with you, and walks side by side with him as leads his donkey back to town. He knows that Filibert is hurt, and seems overly concerned. On the slow trek back, he looks at Filibert several times and whimpers and nuzzles him with his nose, and licks his face (it's almost annoying but he/she means well). Blaze, you can choose the gender and name your new animal companion.

mithrandir138
Ranger
Ranger

#10 Post by mithrandir138 »

jdluna wrote:Luna stops by the shop and purchases darts and length of leather. He then joins the party for a good meal with the rest of the gang. He then turns in and studies his spellbook and works on turning the leather and croc tooth in to a makshift amulet.
Make sure you manage this in your inventory -- if you need help with prices let me know. I am not sure if leather is listed in the base list or not, we can handle that via PM or something. I am sure I have seen a price for that in the materials I have.

mithrandir138
Ranger
Ranger

#11 Post by mithrandir138 »

Blazeguard wrote:Filibert inquires as to the availability of healing in town and avails himself of the service if accessible. He will procure a meal at the inn and then spend the night, providing it is offered gratis again or else he will join Arot under the stars.
At the inn, when you ask about a healer, you are sneered at, and told that this sort of thing is frowned upon. (There seems to be a healthy amount of superstition here in the frontier-lands.) However, as patrons banter about the subject, you learn that there is a female druid in town that may be able to help you. She has been seen blessing crops, even if people don't want it, and you hear derogatory statements about the practice. There is also talk of a cleric who lives nearby, but no one is explicit about where to find either -- the patrons seem to not want to encourage the "proliferation of such foolishness". You hear the callous sentiment that: "After all, if there were true gods around, why would they allow the people of Malforten to suffer?" You almost can't believe what you are hearing.. It is very obvious to you that the gods are real and that they interfere/assist with the actions of mortals every day. These people have just lost their faith and disbelieve even obvious miracles in these harsh times.

When you ask Kerrywyn about a meal, he agrees to give you (and whoever in your party asks) a meal "on credit". Kerrywyn seems to like to have "the upper hand" with people he deals with. Meaning: he would rather you owe him money, so that he could call in a favor or two as a way to barter your tab. He almost makes you uncomfortable during the meal talking about one of his daughters who has come of age. He seems to want to get her out of his house and married. In a most delicate way (though still offensive, though he is ignorant and doesn't mean harm), he suggests that he wouldn't be opposed to an inter-racial marriage between a halfling and his daughter. He shouts: "The children would be cute and small forever! HAHAHHAHA!" as he claps you the back and musses your hair with his hand as if you were a child. He then realizes the awkwardness and looks away and walks into the back room.

He doesn't, however, offer a room for free to anyone.

mithrandir138
Ranger
Ranger

#12 Post by mithrandir138 »

Dogma wrote:"Yes, a good nights rest, and a good meal, and a pint or two." adds Tomas, "and if the gods are willing, a fine lass or two wouldn't hurt. These fine people are in dire need of a good bit of entertainment and I intend to see they get it."
I will let you run with that if you want to. Don't feel forced, we can just assume that you play into the night and raise the spirits of the cynical townsfolk.

mithrandir138
Ranger
Ranger

#13 Post by mithrandir138 »

Additionally, you all feel lucky to not run into Eryl tonight. He would likely give you a tongue-lashing for limping back so early, and with nothing to really show for it other than an ass-whoopin'. :)

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#14 Post by Vargr1105 »

How much does a room cost for for a night?

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#15 Post by Dogma »

Vargr1105 wrote:How much does a room cost for for a night?
Maybe Tomas can negotiate a few rooms on the house (and a meal?) in exchange for his musical talents

mithrandir138
Ranger
Ranger

#16 Post by mithrandir138 »

1sp per person/per night. You have to be out by noon the next day.

mithrandir138
Ranger
Ranger

#17 Post by mithrandir138 »

Dogma wrote:
Maybe Tomas can negotiate a few rooms on the house (and a meal?) in exchange for his musical talents

Yep, that can be arranged -- the conditions for that is some narrative describing what you do and a CHA-based SIEGE check. He will give 1 free room to Tomas (regardless of pass/fail) and 1 free room for every point over the CC (which for you would be 13 because CHA is a prime attribute for Tomas).

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by max_vale »

Vax will give the Innkeep a gold piece to cover his room and rooms for any of his companions who wish to have one and tell him to keep the change; hoping his generousity now may pay dividends in the future.

Hearing Filibert's inquiries about healing; Vax moves over to him and offers; "I can pray for a couple of healing spells tomorrow; if you feel you need such aid?"

Blazeguard
Ranger
Ranger

#19 Post by Blazeguard »

Filibert thanks Vax for his offer of healing, "I appreciate the offer but I will seek out the local help anyways. Best to keep your spells ready in case they're needed out there."

Filibert seeks out the druid first and then the cleric (if needed) for healing and then returns to the inn.

After several ales his tongue finally loosens and he begins..."I'm sure you're all wondering about my 'friend' here. I'm not sure even I understand it all but I'll tell you what I know. Several years ago I was out wandering and came across a dog caught in a bear trap. It had been there for quite awhile already and was near death. I freed it and took it upon myself to nurse it back to health. I kept searching everywhere I went for its owner but never came across anyone who claimed it as their own. It was several months before it was completely healed and then one day when I woke up in the morning it had simply vanished. I didn't think too much of it. Simply figured it had finally figured out which way was home and had taken off. I have not seen it since until today at the river. As strange as it sounds I think it has appointed itself my guardian and protector as repayment for me saving its life. I hadn't named him before but if he sticks around I will call him Zander which means 'protector of mankind'. I think it fits, given the situation."

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#20 Post by NJWilliam »

Arot will speak with the innkeeper about trading his fine crocodile steaks for shelter for his companions. He will join Filbert in looking for the druid and cleric for some healing, before setting up a small campfire just outside town (near a guard post if there is one).
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos

Return to “C&C - A0: The Rising Knight”