Investigation #6: The Historical Site Part 2

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: Investigation #6: The Historical Site Part 2

#81 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roy sighs throws up his arms in defeat and walks back to the vehicle. "I'm going Marshall, I can't do much about this situation so I guess my friend is stuck here until Drake is done with his drinking game...."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by Rex »

Mac

Round 2 Drinking [4d6]=11 ghost [1d6]=1

I knew the ghost die was going to be my issue in this contest.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#83 Post by Urson »

Joker
Joker startles, but then relaxes a fraction. His hands shake a bit, but he makes an effort to control it . He mutes his PKE/ phone, and sets it down.

I.. I, umm.. Thank you for the beer. They call me Joker. I'm a scientist, and I catch troublemaking ghosts.
FA FO

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#84 Post by Scott308 »

Lionel "Freight Train" Williams

Lionel is stunned when he sees Roy get off the phone and start leaving the bar. It looks like everything is going off the rails in a hurry, and he needs to settle things down before the situation gets too far out of control. Roy! he calls out, as he tracks down his fellow Ghostbuster. Where you goin'? What'd the witches say?

If Roy tells him how the phone conversation went: Damn! That is not what we need right now. He thinks for a moment, then continues. OK, I'm going to the Blackwell's, see if I can help them with whatever they have going on, then hopefully bring a couple back here to end this curse. You want to stay here, keeping an eye on Mac and giving updates, or you wanna come with? And where the hell is Joker?

Lionel will hurry back to the Ecto.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

GreyWolfVT

#85 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roy updates Lionel and says "I was going to drive over there and see what is going on with the witches. Clearly the ghost marshall only wants us gone and is just more mad at us as we stay longer. I guess I can stay and call or text you updates but I feel about useless staying here. I've no idea where Joker went I swore I was talking to him then next I know I'm alone, following Mac and the ghost."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Scott308

#86 Post by Scott308 »

Well, come on then. Unless you were gonna hotwire the Ecto, you weren't going very far. I've got the keys- I drove here, remember? But if nobody is staying to see how Mac's doing, we really need to hurry!
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

GreyWolfVT

#87 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Scott308 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 2:54 am Lionel "Freight Train" Williams

Well, come on then. Unless you were gonna hotwire the Ecto, you weren't going very far. I've got the keys- I drove here, remember? But if nobody is staying to see how Mac's doing, we really need to hurry!
Roy shrugs "Ah I forgot, I thought I drove... Guess with everything happening here my brain was overtaxed. I'll hang here and keep an eye on Mac and text you updates Lionel." the Irish-American walks back to watch Mac while trying to figure out what to do.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by Bluehorse »

Drinkin' With the Dead
September 17, 2018 6:45pm
Dark, Cooling.

Lionel tries to calm down Roy who is clearly just worried about his teammates and not thinking clearly, though his goal is a good one. They continue to work out who is going where and how.

A quick google search and they see they are positioned well to make a quick trip to the Joliet House since there is a main avenue heading almost straight to it from here. 13 minutes and 5.2 miles one way.
Screenshot 2022-06-03 141539.jpg
Screenshot 2022-06-03 141539.jpg (170.29 KiB) Viewed 712 times
Drake Harrison orders the second round of drinks and so far Mac has held up like a champ. Mac begins knocking back the shots with Drake and gets a little too enthusiastic and chokes slightly on the last one, causing the ghost to laugh at Mac's expense. Choking up on my already? I had hope this was going to be a longer night than usual! he slaps Mac on the back as he tries to recover from that shot going down the wrong pipe. Mac loses [4d6]=16 in BP. And if you have ever choked on a whisky shot, you know why!

Here is the breakdown:
Each round will be 1 hour (for now) just to get things going.
Round 1, You just need 1 roll for Muscle at easy. So 5+ and you are good. PASSED!
Round 2 PASSED with GHOST DIE!
Round 3
Round 4
Rounds 5 through 8 is 2 mod rolls.
Rounds 9 through 12 is 1 mod roll and 2 hard rolls.

Drinking Rules:
Failure means you gain a penalty because you are getting drunk. Each penalty ups the difficulty of the following rolls, so this can go badly very quickly depending on Mac's endurance. You can spend as many BP as you like.

For every failure in a round, you will lose 20BP.
For every Ghost dice that comes up a 1, you have a reaction that will cause a roll on my part to see what happens BP-wise.
Failure with a Ghost will be both.

If you fail all your rolls in a round, you only lose the BP which can be a big hit towards the end.
If you fail all rolls in a round plus ghost, then you pass out and lose the "game"
If you drop to 0BP you pass out and lose the "game"
Actions?

BP Spending
Mac -16bp from choking.

Brownie Point Pool:
Dr. Jason O'Roarke: 212/217 @@
Lionel 'Freight Train' Williams: 256/256 @
Roy O'Dowd: 337/355 @@
David "Mac" McAuslan: 261/289

@ = One free re-roll without ghost die. Merry Christmas 2019 & 2020!

Needing a Moment (Not So) Alone
September 17, 2018 6:45pm
Dark, Cooling.

Joker watches the other ghost as he calmly nods. Certainly different than the one that took his teammate. There are plenty of those... meaning the troublesome ghost. There is one that took your friend. He is one of the worst. I know him well. Here... he reaches into his cooler again and hands him another ice-cold beer. Your friend is going to need a chaser. Trust me. This will help. And maybe tonight will put more than one person to rest if your friend wins. At least, that is how witch magic is supposed to work. he shrugs and frowns a little, almost indifferently.

This is about the time that Lionel and/or Roy can be seen nearing the Ecto where Joker and the ghost are conversing. I will say that at the beginning of this round you can begin interacting with each other.

BP Spending

Brownie Point Pool:
Dzjokar "Joker" Jelal: 506/584

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#89 Post by Rex »

Mac

Drinking round 3 [4d6]=7 ghost [1d6]=2

Coughing, "Don't worry, I just swallowed that wrong."

Scott308

#90 Post by Scott308 »

Joker? Please tell me you didn't get trapped into a drinking contest with a ghost as well! Mac is drinking for his life- I'm heading to the witches' house to get them to end the curse and stop that nonsense before Mac gets in trouble.

If Roy is coming with him, Lionel will give Joker the name of the bar where Mac is currently engaged. Can you head over there and keep us updated with how things are going?

If Roy went to the bar with Mac, Lionel will ask Joker if he wants to go with him, otherwise he'll give Joker the name of the bar so Joker can meet back up with Roy and Mac- unless he wants to stay and drink with his new "friend."

Lionel will hop in the Ecto and make his way to the Joliet House as quickly as he can without using lights and sirens quite yet.

GreyWolfVT

#91 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roy repeats what he said earlier when he though Joker was with them. "The ghost Mac is drinking with is one of the headstones you gathered black slime from Joker. This is serious business, apparently he is under some witches curse or spell according to the ghost Marshall. Please stay with Mac and let us know what is going on while I head off with Lionel to see the witches something is up on their end and it sounded bad."

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by Urson »

Joker
Joker accepts the new beer, but only sips at it. What do they call you, friend?

When the others arrive, Joker introduces his new associate. No drinking contest here- you guys know I am a smallweight when it comes to alcohol. I will go keep an eye on Mac. Turning to the NA ghost, he says Do you know anything about this dinking contest ghost?

When any conversation with the ghost is done, Joker will head for the bar to watch Mac.
FA FO

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#93 Post by Bluehorse »

Drinkin' With the Dead
September 17, 2018 7pm
Dark, Cooling.

Mac Knocked back the next round without a problem, feeling none the worse for wear.

Drake Harrison chuckles and leans in, eyeing him hard. Nah, your good, but I can see it in your eyes... your starting to feel it. You'll go down like all the others. he looks around and then seems to grin. Looks like your friends have all abandoned you too.

Lionel and Roy show up to see Joker knocking back beers with another ghost and demand answers only to see Joker start beer #2. He reassures them this is not another drinking contest. Lionel... will realize this ghost looks very familiar...

https://www.unseenservant.us/forum/view ... 10#p411010

Roy explains what he remembered about Drake's headstone which should prompt Joker to remember the samples he took. As a matter of fact, those samples matched up with the ones he took from the old Hospital basement when they went after Harlem Harper's Ghost there... Wait... Harrisons ran with the Harpers back in the day, the two families were in league with each other in the same gang. There has to be a connection there.

When Joker looks to his own ghost that is standing there watching him drink the beer intended for Mac, he is making a bit of a face and hands over a fresh one. My name? Stanton Blackwell. You could say I know a lot about Drake. He's the one that did this to me... he opens his jacket and shows the hole in his shirt that seems to go on forever. Shot me over a drink.

Here is the breakdown:
Round 1, You just need 1 roll for Muscle at easy. So 5+ and you are good. PASSED!
Round 3 PASSED!
Round 4

Drinking Rules:
Failure means you gain a penalty because you are getting drunk. Each penalty ups the difficulty of the following rolls, so this can go badly very quickly depending on Mac's endurance. You can spend as many BP as you like.

For every Ghost dice that comes up a 1, you have a reaction that will cause a roll on my part to see what happens BP-wise.

If you fail all your rolls in a round, you only lose the BP which can be a big hit towards the end.
If you fail all rolls in a round plus ghost, then you pass out and lose the "game"
Actions?

BP Spending

Brownie Point Pool:

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by Rex »

Mac

Drinking round 4 [4d6]=13 ghost [1d6]=4

Mac slams it back, "I am glad they left actually, I don't want them to realize I have been pretending to be drunk so as not to embarrass them."

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#95 Post by Urson »

Joker
Thank you, Mr. Blackwell. It is good to see that not all ghosts have a grudge against the living.... He sets aside the beer intended for Mac.
His eyes go wide as he makes the connection. Blackwell? Are you connected with the Blackwell witches? We have worked with them- and will probably do it again. They are good people with a bad reputation.

After Stanton replies, Joker will thank him again, then go to watch Mac and the goings-on there.
FA FO

Scott308

#96 Post by Scott308 »

Well, Mr. Blackwell, it's nice seeing you again. Sorry we can't stay and talk longer, but we've gotta go talk to your descendants, try to get them to end this curse and get rid of Drake. Lionel will get in the Ecto and head to the Blackwell house.

GreyWolfVT

#97 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roy half into the Ecto 1 says "I thought we were in a rush?"

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#98 Post by Bluehorse »

Drinkin' With the Dead
September 17, 2018 8pm
Dark, Cooling.

Staton Blackwell watches as the other teammates leave in the Ecto-1 and shakes his head. Turning back to, Joker: I don't think my grandchildren can undo my curse, but let's go check on your friend. he looks up at the sky. He might be running out of time.

Mac throws back another round of shots and is feeling pretty sure about his chances of holding out, but even the big man after so many shots is starting to feel the effects. Next set of rounds will be at moderate and require two rolls each. I am playing pretty fast a loose with the time right now since this is supposed to be spread out over a longer period of time. For Mac, this would be closer to 10pm. I will work out something narratively when everyone syncs back up.

Drake Harrison The green eyes smoke with contempt despite the amusement at the game he is damned to play. He laughs along with Mac, seeming to enjoy his bravado. I like your style. Going to be a shame to kill you later. Last few I drank with didn't make it this far and I had to put them down. It's good to sit with a real man again for a change.

This is when Joker makes it back and sees Mac, the ghost of Drake Harrison, and a terrified bartender at the bar. The bartender is pouring another round of shots as the ghost lights up a ragged cigar that smells of rot and something that might once have been sweet. Stanton looks at the scene and shakes his head. Some things never change.

Drake freezes at whatever it was he was doing and slowly turns around with contempt for the other ghost. Get out of here, you!
I told you you weren't welcome here anymore!

Stanton seems dry and unusually calm. Neither are you, Drake. We're dead.

Drake raises his voice and shakes his hand. Well, you saw to it that we stayed here, didn't you?

Stanton nods. You're right. And somehow, you found joy in what was supposed to be penence. But that was my mistake. I should have allowed you to fall into hell, but I upset that balance and the lives you took since then are on my hands. I accept that.

Marshall Reeves has been watching this exchange and looks on Stanton with a curious expression at that last remark, but remains silent.

Drake on the other hand... Shut the hell up, old man before I shoot you again! BARTENDER! SHOTS!

Meanwhile... Lionel & Roy drive north through the older part of town. They find themselves on one of the older boulevards that has seen better days but is still active with seedier nightlife down Midland Ave. There are old clubs and seemingly empty warehouses with poorer housing districts here and there. Seems this was a hopping place at one time but it has fallen into neglect as so many towns seem to as decades march by. Soon they are crossing over one of the two major bridges over the river and into Downtown Van Buren, which is also surprisingly busy, in fact, it seems busier than Fort Smith did. A few turns down the side streets and a few pauses for pedestrians along the way and they are heading back down the hill a bit to the older residential area and to the Blackwell house... which appears empty and dark. This is nothing like the chaos Roy heard over the phone when he called a short time ago, and surely they are not all in bed.

That was the moment they saw something dark moving on the shadowed porch of the old victorian home, black against the old white paint of the house... it moved to the stairs, paused, and began making its way slowly, steadily, but confidently closer down the path to the street. By the time it was at the pair of stone steps leading down to the sidewalk where they were parked, they saw what the shadowy apparition was...
JeniveveJoniet3.jpg
JeniveveJoniet3.jpg (32.27 KiB) Viewed 668 times
Jeniveve Joniet stood before them, dressed and ready to go out, holding a bag in her hands. Hello, Roy and Lionel. Don't worry.
I am ready to go. Could one of you assist me? I've never gotten into a Jeep before...
Here is the breakdown:
Round 3 PASSED!
Round 4 PASSED!

Drinking Rules:

Actions?

BP Spending

Brownie Point Pool:

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by Rex »

Mac

Round 5 Drinking Muscles +3BP [7d6]=26 Muscles +3BP [7d6]=23 Ghost [1d6]=6

"Not surprised I have made it further then most."

After the exchange with Stanton.

"Well well, it seems we get an audience after all to watch when I break this curse."

GreyWolfVT

#100 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roy looks at Jeniveve and raises an eyebrow "Uh, are you ok? What happened to the others? Over the phone it sounded like you all had something really bad going on here? Is everyone ok?"

For my clarification when you say "shadowy" are you trying to hint that Jeniveve does not appear to be human/living and looks like a spirit or ghost or that she merely was sneaking around in the shadows?

Return to “Mission Archive”