Investigation #6: The Historical Site Part 2

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

Re: Investigation #6: The Historical Site Part 2

#41 Post by Scott308 »

Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by Urson »

FA FO

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by Bluehorse »

The Fort Smith Historic Site
September 17, 2018 6:40pm
Warm, Dark, Cooling.

Man, Joker is having a bad day!

So here is the breakdown. First Roll is to notice, the second is to be scared or not... so...
Mac: Pass & Pass
Roy: Pass & Pass
Lionel: Fail & Pass
Joker: Fail w/Ghost & Fail... oh boy...

You barely get time to react as you come across another set of rail road track just the other side of the old earthworks embankment as there is a loud whistle and the rushing of an old locomotive coming your way seemingly out of nowhere! Mac and Roy see it and get out of the way, holding onto their wits. Lionel has his head turned the other way and looks up just in time to see the train barreling down on both him and Joker as it rushes over them! Something about the sheer shock of it though never quite phases Lionel as he just freeze in place whereas Joker looks up just after the last second to see is FRISCO 4003 just as it rushes over him, leaving him screaming as he sees what is certain death a la GBII.
MedicalWelldocumentedArrowcrab-max-1mb.gif
MedicalWelldocumentedArrowcrab-max-1mb.gif (355.31 KiB) Viewed 792 times
Joker falls onto his back like a turtle and will need help up once he stops screaming and catches his breath. and only seems to take a little superficial damage to himself and the new pack. Glad that roll worked out! I am seriously starting to feel sorry for this poor guy! Lionel is on his feet still after having see the inside of the phantom express end to end, inside and out all in the span of a few seconds. Perhaps his heart is now pounding but otherwise he is uninjured.

I am getting tired of coming over here and reminding all of you to keep quiet! Disturbing the peace is a prime law that I will not tolerate!
You got that?
your attention is drawn by an angry voice belonging to the same entity you spoke with again at the gallows. He appears to be manhandling two groups, standing with one foot on the back of a civil war era union solder, while holding another by the scruff of the neck as he struggles, holding up another dressed as a confederate soldier in a choke hold in his other. Serveral from both sides seem to be picking themselves up off the ground around him like there was one heck of a John Wayne knock down drag out and everyone but the law won.

Congfederate Soldier Ow! Bass! Let go! Why is it you always come over her and break up the fun?!

Union Soldier We were just horsing around, all good fun! Honest!

Confederate Soldier 2: Anyone seen my playing card? I had them before...

Union Soldier 2: Bass, I'll...

Bass Reeves: Marshall Reeves! Don't you forget it! he said dropping the union soldier and stepping off the other before tossing the confederate at his buddies, knocking them over just as they stand up again amidst much protests. I best have no reason to think of any of you for a fortnight or I will bring you before The Judge on official charges!

All: Yes, sir. in unison.

Reeves then turns and looks directly at you across the distance, and there is not doubt who he is speaking to as his entire presence seems to fill your senses. Somehow, you see his eyes just as clearly as if he were face to face with you in broad daylight despite how dark it is. And I already told you once, it is after hours! You are going to get hurt, final warning to leave or I'll... he stops abruptly and turns his head more northeast. He mumbles something and disappears.

Everyone's PKEs settle down significantly, but you can still easily see what is indicated as a grouping of Class 4 ghost that make up the dozen or so soldiers who now straighten themselves up and begin arguing over how to set up for a card game as a phantom encampment seems to sparsely manifest around them.

Been playing cards all this time and you still can't set one upright...

Why would we not set it up like this, it has been almost 200 years, and we play almost every night...

You're shuffling wrong... You always shuffle wrong!
And so on.

Meanwhile, the bigger energy reading that you have sorted out in your readings as The Marshall has joined with the other larger reading to the Northeast, but you would have to go back the way you came and head toward the Historic Site's main offices in the Old Courthouse. This is where Roy and Lionel explored earlier with Ranger Cody and got readings from the Old Jail.

Actions?

Brownie Point Spending:
Mac: -6 to rolls
Roy: -6 to rolls
Joker: -1 to Damage

Brownie Point Pool:
Dr. Jason O'Roarke: 212/217 @@
Lionel 'Freight Train' Williams: 256/256 @
Roy O'Dowd: 349/355 @@
David "Mac" McAuslan: 283/289
Dzjokar "Joker" Jelal: 579/584
Pending final update from the other thread "What have you read about Kindle"

@ = One free re-roll without ghost die. Merry Christmas 2019 & 2020!

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#44 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roy jaw hanging open goes over to try and help Joker back onto his feet and dusts him and the pack off saying "Joker? You alright mate?" nodding to the Marshall as he takes off trying to keep the other ghostly rabble in check Roy can help muttering "Well, it appears we have at least one ghost trying to keep all the others in line and well I'm not sure I want to see what happens if we don't leave soon. He seams like a good bloke for well you know a dead guy."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by Rex »

Mac

Mac chuckles, "He is a legend after all."

GreyWolfVT

#46 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roy not being from the area misses how the Marshall is a legend "I don't follow, how is he a legend? I'm not up on the old west stories."
Last edited by GreyWolfVT on Tue May 10, 2022 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Taaz
Ranger
Ranger

#47 Post by Taaz »

So sorry I have been away for so long, Jason must have been awestruck through this

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by Rex »

Mac

"Legendary, as in one of the more famous US Marshals. Some of his exploits were borderline heroic."

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by Urson »

Joker
Joker is pale and shaking, flexing his joints as he tries to decide if he's been killed or not. He lights one of his stinking cigars, nearly setting his moustache ablaze.
Frisco 4003... he mumbles, forcing his hands to cooperate as he makes a note on his phone. Look that up later... probably nothing..

After a few puffs, which drive off the mosquitos in the area, he nods. I will ok being.
FA FO

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by Bluehorse »

We are all good. You guys want to keep talking, that is perfectly fine. Once you indicate the direction you want to take next, I will provide further scene setting for you.

For now, you just saw:
a ghost train
Bass Reeve's ghost quail some civil war soldiers
He then left for what is showing on your PKE and more or less the courthouse
Said soldiers are now arguing over an apparently eternal game of cards in front of you

Scott308

#51 Post by Scott308 »

Lionel "Freight Train" Williams

You know, I'm startin' to think...yeah, maybe the Marshall is right; we shouldn't be here right now. There's a lot going on. Maybe we come back in the morning. We don't want to get on the Marshall's bad side. Come back during hours of operation, see what we see.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

GreyWolfVT

#52 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roy takes some more readings and scans wit the app on his phone and attempts to find a way to save it to analyze later. "Sounds lie a good idea Lionel. Lets see if we can save some scans and readings to analyze back at the firehouse then hit the road."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by Rex »

Mac

"Sounds like a good plan."

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by Urson »

Joker
Joker nods. Tomorrow will be soon.
FA FO

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by Bluehorse »

September 17, 2018 6:50pm
Warm, Dark, Cooling.

The team feels a little overwhelmed by the incredible amount of activity on the now obviously very haunted grounds. It makes one wonder if this is why the very specific curfew for the grounds is 6pm.

The civil war soldiers for the most part seemed occupied with their card game and arguing over each other's hands. Roy could see all kinds of other activity through his goggles just like at the gallows earlier. Everyone's PKEs were struggling to keep up with all the different activities, especially this now higher concentration at the courthouse. The Phantom Frisco seems to be... well, it is gone other than that eerie whistles from a distance.

Let's have some fun.
1 - Jason
2 - Lionel
3 - Roy
4 - Mac
5 - Joker
6 - Extra special surprise!

[1d6]=4

Mac feels a tap on his shoulder and when he turns around, he sees...
Hard Cool please to see if you get scared. ;)
cowboy-iron-skull-mask-green-260nw-1277936575.jpg
cowboy-iron-skull-mask-green-260nw-1277936575.jpg (8.04 KiB) Viewed 754 times
...a ghost that is not much more than a skeleton in ragged old west wear. This ghost was probably more accustomed living out in the wilds than staying in town, yet here he is, glowing eyes and all.

Green Eyed Ghost his skeletal hand now resting on your shoulder in a death grip Pun most certainly intended! Hey, hombre... You drink?

PKEs are suddenly registering a stronger presence as this ghost apparently just manifested before them.

Mac gets the hard roll for keeping his cool since he was directly interacted with. I will say everyone else can roll Moderate since if nothing else this ghost's appearance is off-putting.

Roll Mod brains if you want to work out what you are dealing with or Cool to work out more about his appearance that might tip you off to who he is/was.

Or if you have another idea and want to get creative, that is fun too ;) I am just offering narration for now.
Brownie Point Pool:
Roy O'Dowd: 349/355 @@
David "Mac" McAuslan: 283/289
Dzjokar "Joker" Jelal: 509/584
This is now updated from the other thread "What have you read about Kindle"

GreyWolfVT

#56 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by Rex »

Mac

"I do drink occasionally."

Cool +3bp [5d6]=14 Ghost [1d6]=6

Going with Brains.
Brains +3bp [6d6]=32 Ghost [1d6]=4

Scott308

#58 Post by Scott308 »

Lionel "Freight Train" Williams

Lionel sees the ghost grab hold of Mac's shoulder. Not sure who or what the spirit is, he nonetheless does not feel any reason to be scared at the moment.
For being scared: Cool: [2d6]=8; Ghost Die: [1d6]=6
For having any idea who this might have been: Cool: [2d6]=6; Ghost Die: [1d6]=3

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by Urson »

Joker
Cool: 3 [2d6]=4 ghost [1d6]=3
Brains: 5 [4d6]=14 ghost [1d6]=1 :roll:
Joker is tapping at his phone, trying to collect as much data as possible, including about the mountain man ghost.
FA FO

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by Bluehorse »

September 17, 2018 6:55pm
Warm, Dark, Cooling.

This is the edited post to correct the mistake pointed out by Scott regarding the Cool Roll requirement that I muddled up. Mac was the only one required to make a Hard roll, everyone else was Moderate. Changes to the post will now reflect the correction and offer some more information as well thanks to "cool heads"
Roy turns around with the ecto goggles still on and immediately is bombarded with an increasing level of detail. As he focuses on the up close and personal ghost he can see a direct dossier begin to form on the entity, which is then passed to everyone's phone for the PKE program. There is a chirp from everyone's phones and even proton packs (those wearing them) as everything seems to celebrate.

Class 4 Semi-Anchored Full Torso Manifestation. There is a detailed reading of the PKE frequencies and fluctuations in other words, this new equipment is self-adjusting according to the readings from the Goggles as well as the PKEs, and Roy is literally seeing it all. With the flood of information he is apparently too intrigued by the information to get scared.

Something else he notices is that some part of this information seems to indicate this spirit is attaching itself in some way to Mac. Not as a possessor, but something else more like it is shifting its anchor from this place to him personally.
Scott308 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 5:25 pm Lionel "Freight Train" Williams
For being scared: Cool: [2d6]=8; Ghost Die: [1d6]=6
For having any idea who this might have been:
Cool: [2d6]=6; Ghost Die: [1d6]=3
Lionel must be getting used to the freaky stuff, or maybe this doesn't hold up compared to thinking he was going to be run over by a train, either way, he takes the new arrival with stride and gets to take some time to notice the Ghost's neck... and the broken bones there...
Urson wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:36 pmJoker
Cool: 3 [2d6]=4 ghost [1d6]=3
Brains: 5 [4d6]=14 ghost [1d6]=1 :roll:
Joker has had a long day. His poor nerves are shot from his ordeal earlier and what he has seen in the last several minutes here and just cannot focus on his PKE. This is just scary.
Rex wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 4:05 am Mac "I do drink occasionally."

Cool +3bp [5d6]=14 Ghost [1d6]=6
Going with Brains.
Brains +3bp [6d6]=32 Ghost [1d6]=4
Mac keeps his cool in face of the ghost and feels oddly trapped by... something... He knows from his studies at GBU that ghosts sometimes manifest as exaggerated versions of themselves as they were in life, and this feels like it could be the case. Whoever this was, based on his clothing and mannerisms, much less the broken neck skeletal appearance under those hallow clothes, this was not a good man in life.

Green Eyed Ghost Good... Good... come with me... We have something special to do. as the ghost puts his arm around Mac's shoulder and begins walking him northward. Mac finds he doesn't have control of his legs and they are walking at a quick pace into the shadows of the grounds.

Civil War Ghost 1 Uh oh... You see that?

Civil War Ghost 2 Yup, ol' Drake got him one...

Civil War Ghost 3 Think he will win?

Civil War Ghost 4 Why would he? No one ever has.

Civil War Ghost 5 My money is on the fleshy! He looked plenty stout!

Civil War Ghost 6 I'll take that bet! Easy money! I don't like Drake, but he is a sure thing.

The group of ghosts seem to have abandoned their card game and started placing bets on your teammate's ability to win... whatever game that Green-Eyed Ghost is playing...

Those that are scared can roll again to get themselves together, if not, you will suffer a 1 dice penalty when dealing with this ghost in future interactions... meaning if you typically roll 4 dice you will only be able to roll 3. You can choose to roll BP with this roll if you like to boost your chances. It is still a HARD roll meaning you need to break 20. If you get a ghost dice to come up (1) then you will take an additional penalty, with or without success on the roll.

Meanwhile: Mac is walking away with a new undead drinking buddy... what do you do?

BP Spending
Roy -9bp to rolls
Mac -6 to rolls

Brownie Point Pool:
Roy O'Dowd: 340/355 @@
David "Mac" McAuslan: 277/289
Dzjokar "Joker" Jelal: 509/584
This is now updated from the other thread "What have you read about Kindle"

Last edited by Bluehorse on Fri May 20, 2022 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Mission Archive”