Investigation #6: The Historical Site Part 2

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Investigation #6: The Historical Site Part 2

#61 Post by Rex »

Mac

"Guys, I think I need some help here!" Mac tries to resit going.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#62 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roy sighs "This is not going to go well." unsure of what to do to help but not risk being the target of the ghost Marshall Roy tries to consider his options. Knowing well that if he uses his proton pack it likely will certainly draw a lot of attention.

(brains roll I guess?)

Brains: [4d6]=16 G: [1d6]=4 + 3BP [3d6]=14
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by Bluehorse »

Bluehorse wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:47 pm Mac gets the hard roll for keeping his cool since he was directly interacted with. I will say everyone else can roll Moderate since if nothing else this ghost's appearance is off-putting.
Thank you Scott for pointing this out. I apologize everyone, I have been struggling with a pretty severe sinus infection that has aggravated my "long covid" (didn't know that was an official thing) and the meds trying to flush it out. I am going to edit the post from yesterday and will post again when I have it tweaked to reflect honoring your rolls more properly. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by Bluehorse »

Bluehorse wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 2:10 pm
Bluehorse wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:47 pm Mac gets the hard roll for keeping his cool since he was directly interacted with. I will say everyone else can roll Moderate since if nothing else this ghost's appearance is off-putting.
Thank you Scott for pointing this out. I apologize everyone, I have been struggling with a pretty severe sinus infection that has aggravated my "long covid" (didn't know that was an official thing) and the meds trying to flush it out. I am going to edit the post from yesterday and will post again when I have it tweaked to reflect honoring your rolls more properly. Sorry for the inconvenience!
New edited post is made/corrected. It only affected Lionel after reviewing the numbers. Thank you again for pointing that out and keeping me on point!

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by Urson »

Joker
Cool: 3 adding 3 BP[5d6]=21 ghost [1d6]=1
Joker is done. Üzgünüm. Gitmeliyim. Sorry... Pale, shaking, tears standing in his eyes, Joker returns to Ecto-1. He sits on the hood, smoking his rancid cheroots.
FA FO

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by Bluehorse »

This is a "Semi-Update" just to keep a few of the longer bits moving and to organize for the next bigger post I anticipate, or I can continue doing the mini posts as needed if you perfer.

Drinkin' With the Dead
September 17, 2018 6:15pm
Dark, Cooling.

Mac tries his best to not follow where his legs are taking him, but it is like he is on a ride rather than in charge of himself.

The Green-Eyed Ghost laughs ruefully. Tipping his hat a little as they walk through the pitch shadows under old-growth trees in a direct line towards Garrison Ave. Seems that despite being off the designated path, this way has been walked a LOT and is very well worn in despite being a little more grown-up, more like a game trail than a manmade pathway worn by time. My name's Harris... Drake Harris. You and I? We're going to slam it back tonight... all the way 'til dawn. Whiskey, Vodka, Scotch, Rum... I call the shots, and you are going to take 'em. Don't worry... I'm payin'.

As the ghost speaks they come out through a narrow gap in the bushes and onto the busy Garrison Ave. Without being able to stop, you are walked right out into traffic! Car slam on their breaks, honk horns, swerve out of the way, and several hang their heads out the window to throw curses.

Commuter What do you think you are doing?! Get the hell out of the road!

Drake turns and the driver sees him as if for the first time. I'm doin' my best!

The drivers can't wait to get away from there once you pass.

Once you cross, you find yourself outside a small, rowdy bar.
AM's.JPG
AM's.JPG (76.68 KiB) Viewed 826 times
You "walked" right up to the bar and the clientele one by one see what is happening and goes quiet and either shy away into corners or rush out the doors until other than a few observers and a trapped barkeeper, Mac and Drake are all alone with a ghost at the bar.
AMs2.JPG
AMs2.JPG (97.11 KiB) Viewed 826 times
GreyWolfVT wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 1:39 pm Roy
Brains: [4d6]=16 G: [1d6]=4 + 3BP [3d6]=14
As Roy does his best to try to work out what to do, he gets a short moment of revelation of what the ghosts say, Drake... Drake Harris... You've heard that name somewhere recently... But where...? Oh! That's it!

https://www.unseenservant.us/forum/view ... 91#p478891

That was one of the names on the whiteboard back at the Firehouse on the whiteboard for being an active headstone at Oak Cemetery and was one of them Joker collected a sample of Black Slime from as well. There was also a connection between the Harrises and Harpers made from that research... As in the old Harper Gang that seems to keep popping up mission after mission...

The rest of the team have trouble following and keeping up with Mac, but with at least a direction to follow and Mac's big shadow against the brightening lights of Garrison Ave, they come out of the bushes just in time to see Mac's several run-ins with busy traffic. Will they run after to catch up or wait for a traffic signal to change?

BP Spending
Roy -3bp to rolls.

Brownie Point Pool:
Dr. Jason O'Roarke: 212/217 @@
Lionel 'Freight Train' Williams: 256/256 @
Roy O'Dowd: 337/355 @@
David "Mac" McAuslan: 277/289
This is now updated from the other thread "What have you read about Kindle"

@ = One free re-roll without ghost die. Merry Christmas 2019 & 2020!

Needing a Moment (Not So) Alone
September 17, 2018 6:15pm
Dark, Cooling.

Joker has waded through all the activity and found his way back out to the parking lot and sits on the still-warm Ecto-1's hood as the air around him begins to feel cool. He is trying to get his nerves together for the second time today and he is lost on what to do next. Reason and science have always guided him but with demons and ghosts everywhere, it seemed all that was in doubt... the lingering effects of the encounter with Kindle this afternoon still seemed to weigh on him despite his usual self-assuredness.

You look like you need one of these more than I do... comes a surprise voice, but it is low and holds no malice, a feeling of non-judgment is laid over it and in turn, Joker can feel the sensation settle over him as well. When he turns to the source, there is an old man carrying an ice chest and offering him a beer. He is native American and seems to stare off into the distance where Joker came from rather than directly at him, seemingly content and calm as he stands there offering the drink.

BP Spending
-3BP to rolls.

Brownie Point Pool:
Dzjokar "Joker" Jelal: 506/584

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#67 Post by Scott308 »

Lionel "Freight Train" Williams

Seeing the strange ghost walking off with Mac, Lionel will do his best to keep them from getting too far ahead. When he sees them crossing the street, he will dodge traffic but is not willing to wait. Hey! Dead and ugly! Leave my friend alone!
To avoid being hit by a car: Dodge: [6d6]=20; Ghost Die: [1d6]=2
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by Rex »

Mac

Mac looks around the bar, not liking where this is going.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by Urson »

Joker
Joker startles severely and falls off the hood. He lay there for a second, then gets up. I- I do, sir. He speaks slowly, visibly fighting for the words (His English is almost gone, thanks to the day he's had and the cursed die roller!)
He takes one, opens it, and drinks half. Thank you
FA FO

GreyWolfVT

#70 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roy the name dawning on him "Bloody hell. Joker, does that name ring a bell with you? You found a headstone bearing that very name. You collected black slime from there. " looking for the ghost Marshall Roy tries to flag the marshall down hollering for him and waving his arms "Hey, Oi Mate! Marshall! A little help Marshall!"
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by Bluehorse »

Drinkin' With the Dead
September 17, 2018 6:20pm
Dark, Cooling.

Lionel deftly dodges the cars in the street, luckily they don't travel very fast through downtown despite 5 lanes thanks to frequent lights. Most are now giving a wide birth to Mac and his ghost. The ex-footballer easily keeps up with them as they enter the bar and even manages to maneuver through the crowd of folks squeezing out the entrance to get out of the bar upon Mac & Drake's entry.

Roy manages to follow in Lionel's wake (It was a good roll, I am just saying that there is enough of a pocket behind Lionel for Roy to slip in behind him. And voices his realization that they have seen a connection to this ghost and his apparent grave in Oak Cemetery a short time ago as one of the stones oozing the black slime Joker collected back in the lab. It is only after that revelation when he turns around to confirm with Joker, that Roy realizes their companion isn't there!

That Green-Eyed Ghost, Drake Harrison sits down at the bar at the same moment that Mac himself feels compelled to do the same. The bar clears out other than the ghostbusters, the barkeep, and a few patrons that are cowering in the corners. Drake holds up a pair of fingers, locking eyes with the bartender. I want two lines of your strongest whiskey! with his other hand he drops a sack on the bar that jingles with the sound of silver coins, the real ones that used to be minted before they added more nickel, copper, and other more throw away metals.

The bartender nods and grabs a bottle from the shelf behind him and pours 4 shots each for Drake and Mac. When he is done he moves back but is clearly not going anywhere... Lionel and Roy realize there is nowhere they can get a shot on Drake without endangering someone.

Drake turns and looks at Mac while casually drawing an old rusty revolver that oozed ectoplasm, drawing back the hammer and grinning. Those witches thought they were really pulling one over on me. My name is Drake Harris and I died over 200 years ago. I shot a man to steal his drink, at least that's what they hung me for... Turns out it was one of those Blackwells. he laughs. Now I'm cursed to walk the earth and challenge every night A man to match me drink for drink or by the bullet die! he leans in tugging at the collar of his shirt to make sure Mac can see his broken neck. Too few come through the courtyard these days, so luck I was there when you did. Now... We're going to drink. Just you and me. And if you can last til, dawn, you win... But no one ever does. You see, the lord cursed my soul for killin that poor man, There ain't no choice so you must try to match me shot for shot, If you win, then you'll go free and I can finally rot the ghost grinned and as he picked up a shot glass, simply said, Round one.

Mac will have to out drink a deadman to win this contest. And he never loses. This is an endurance test where you have to last until dawn which is a whopping 12 hours away.

Here is the breakdown:
Each round will be 1 hour (for now) just to get things going.
Round 1, You just need 1 roll for Muscle at easy. So 5+ and you are good.
Rounds 1 through 4 will be the same.
Rounds 5 through 8 is 2 mod rolls.
Rounds 9 through 12 is 1 mod roll and 2 hard rolls.

Failure means you gain a penalty because you are getting drunk. Each penalty ups the difficulty of the following rolls, so this can go badly very quickly depending on Mac's endurance. You can spend as many BP as you like.

For every failure in a round, you will lose 20BP.
For every Ghost dice that comes up a 1, you have a reaction that will cause a roll on my part to see what happens BP-wise.
Failure with a Ghost will be both.

If you fail all your rolls in a round, you only lose the BP which can be a big hit towards the end.
If you fail all rolls in a round plus ghost, then you pass out and lose the "game"
If you drop to 0BP you pass out and lose the "game"

Roy has the idea to call for the Marshall, but there seems to be no answer at first. They are focused on the event unfolding before them with Mac before Roy hears that deep voice behind him again. I warned you something like this would happen. You have no idea what kinds of things can happen in this town. When Roy turns he sees the Marshall standing right behind him, arms crossed, and staring at the bar as Drake makes his story known. He looks down at Roy and even a fool could see the Marshall was no happy with what he was seeing, and yet he made no move to stop it.

Actions?

BP Spending

Brownie Point Pool:

Dark, Cooling.

Joker accepts the drink and it is nice and cold. When he drinks it is refreshing and it feels good to do something "mundane". He feels his hands begin to steady a little.

Old Indian Man You got rattled today, didn't you? That is okay. It means you are still human in a way that matters. It means you have still not seen everything that needs seen or could be. Your life is still laid out before you with new surprises to discover. A man like you, that should be exciting.

Joker's PKE chirped.

BP Spending

Brownie Point Pool:

GreyWolfVT

#72 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Wow now I am thoroughly confused I thought everyone was following...so now I'm talking to nobody fun times. But somehow fitting to Roy's character.

Roy sighs "We were trying to leave Marshall, honest. Then Drake here managed to snag my friend here. I was just trying to avoid having to use my proton pack and draw more attention. Will you please stop this so that we can leave as you have asked of us?" he tries to reason with the good Marshall.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by Rex »

Mac

I have to head to work early today so running short on time. This post will take a bit so I will tackle it tonight after work.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by Urson »

Joker
Joker smiles weakly, feeling much calmer. I- I would rather it not be quite so exciting... I have had a long, stressful, terrifying day. The beer helps- and so does a friendly face. Excuse me...
He glances at the PKE readout, bracing himself for whatever this day can throw at him next.
FA FO

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by Bluehorse »

Rex wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 3:32 pm Mac

I have to head to work early today so running short on time. This post will take a bit so I will tackle it tonight after work.
No worries, we are just going to take it a round at a time to start off. No rush. My intention is to get this scene with Joker fleshed out and then sync your group up again.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by Bluehorse »

GreyWolfVT wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 2:31 pm Wow now I am thoroughly confused I thought everyone was following...so now I'm talking to nobody fun times. But somehow fitting to Roy's character.

Roy sighs "We were trying to leave Marshall, honest. Then Drake here managed to snag my friend here. I was just trying to avoid having to use my proton pack and draw more attention. Will you please stop this so that we can leave as you have asked of us?" he tries to reason with the good Marshall.
Marshall Reeves gestures irritably. I have been after him for 159 years. You think he waltzes about freely like this because he is slick?
This is witch magic that has him trapped here.
he spits to the side. And because it is their curse, I can't touch him.

He looks dead at Roy in that moment with a withering stare. And I can smell those same witches all over you.

GreyWolfVT

#77 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roy sighs again "I had no idea they were the same ones. They recently helped us with a situation then called us to a meeting." he tells the Marshall "I'm sorry mate. Maybe I can call them? I'm afraid for my friends life and can't thing straight. I'll see what I can do I guess, so we can get out of your hair as fast as we can." taking out his phone Roy tries to call the witches....and inform them of the situation.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#78 Post by Scott308 »

Lionel "Freight Train" Williams

Lionel approaches the various patrons, strongly urging them to leave. You need to go, now. It could get very dangerous very quickly. I'd hate for any of you to die tonight. Don't worry about your tab- I think that bag of silver will cover your drinks.

He then calls out to Roy, Get ahold of the Blackwells and tell them we need them here now! I can pick them up in the Ecto if I need to- lights and sirens all the way.

At this point, he realizes not everyone is in the bar. Ah...anyone know where Joker is?
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#79 Post by Rex »

Mac

Mac starts to drinking, trying to keep it as slow as he can get away with. "The funny thing is, I haven't ever lost a drinking game either."

Round 1 drinking [4d6]=20 ghost [1d6]=4

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by Bluehorse »

Drinkin' With the Dead
September 17, 2018 6:25pm
Dark, Cooling.

Lionel Takes command of the situation and encourages people to leave, ushering a few who seem willing to be jarred out of their petrified horror.

Roy begins dialing up Kelly at D.O.O.R. After a few rings there is an answer and it sounds... chaotic on her end.

Kelly Hi Roy! Kind of a bad time right now! there is a scream in the background and it sounds very staticy. There is a lot of noise like furniture tumbling over. I'll have to call you back... and she hangs up.

Drake Harrison Matches Mac shot for shot and laughs. Good! I like confidence! To many of the slobs I have brought here whine and beg. No one drinks like a man anymore, so it will be fun watching you break. he chuckles. They always do!

We will say we are still in hour one for now since there is more going on but your roll is good and Mac is going to drink like a champ for right now!

Here is the breakdown:
Each round will be 1 hour (for now) just to get things going.
Round 1, You just need 1 roll for Muscle at easy. So 5+ and you are good. PASSED!
Round 2
Round 3
Round 4
Rounds 5 through 8 is 2 mod rolls.
Rounds 9 through 12 is 1 mod roll and 2 hard rolls.

Drinking Rules:
Failure means you gain a penalty because you are getting drunk. Each penalty ups the difficulty of the following rolls, so this can go badly very quickly depending on Mac's endurance. You can spend as many BP as you like.

For every failure in a round, you will lose 20BP.
For every Ghost dice that comes up a 1, you have a reaction that will cause a roll on my part to see what happens BP-wise.
Failure with a Ghost will be both.

If you fail all your rolls in a round, you only lose the BP which can be a big hit towards the end.
If you fail all rolls in a round plus ghost, then you pass out and lose the "game"
If you drop to 0BP you pass out and lose the "game"
Actions?

BP Spending

Brownie Point Pool:

Dark, Cooling.

Joker realizes he is sitting next to a ghost as well, also sharing a drink.

BP Spending

Brownie Point Pool:

Return to “Mission Archive”