The Toasted Troll Tavern

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: The Toasted Troll Tavern

#21 Post by Bluetongue »

Golgarth

"I did hear about this Renata a few days ago. Guards on the crossroads handing out 'Wanted:' posters. I think Sidkrake here is more familiar with her.

We had some contact with a rogue guild here that has links into the Citadel and a strange cult. Almost to match your tree-man. We had tick-men. A cult operating from within the Silvanus Embassy that worshipped Impurax and devotees were controlled by these giant flea critters.

It has stayed quiet for a few days but I expect they will become resurgent again unless dealt a deadly blow."

He has met Dalin before, notably at the Herne Festival and around Helix. The others he does not know.

As to the whereabouts of the brigandine, he does not know, so suggests Sidkrake make a few discreet enquiries.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#22 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Dalin "Well met Golgarth it has been a while since we first met. Glad to see others from the festival have managed to survive the expeditions coming out of Helix. I wonder do you know if Moriartus is still alive and well?"
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#23 Post by Bluetongue »

Golgarth

Buys a beer in each. Do Johka and Gunter want to introduce themselves?

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Spearmint »

I will give Johka and Gunter this evening then update here in the morning.

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#25 Post by Hvalreki »

The Toasted Troll Tavern

Bogtown, Duchy of Aerik.

June 6th 1066.

Gunter Red Shirt
Dalin "You folks from Helix too? Been seeing lots of strange stuff out there. Blighted forests, living fungi creatures that infect folk with some strange disease, and yes a ranger that was turning into a tree. We found him on the road here."
"Dark times indeed with proper men turnin' to trees. It ain't natural! We are indeed recently from Helix though in truth I just arrived there before I met the Stonefather here. Came from the East seeking my fortunes after leaving a free company when my service was done. Me old Sergeant told me about the place, he works the door at the Strumpet, you may have met him.

My companions and I have been here for a few weeks. Came looking for a lost cleric of Cromm Cruach and sadly we found him." Gunter trails off for few moments and takes a big gulp of ale to steady himself.

GreyWolfVT

#26 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Dalin nods "Yeah I've been in the Strumpet often enough I likely have met your old sergeant. I take it what you found wasn't good? It almost ended that way when I went to the Crooked Yew everyone on the merchant wagon I was on got killed, I made it then had to go on a trek with a ranger there to get back their druid Brother Clive, he and the ranger almost got sacrificed to the god of disease by a crazy cult of bugbears worshiping him. Some how I broke them out while being hunted, then we and a troop of leper bugbear cast offs took down the crazy cult tripe of bugbear and made it back to the crooked yew. It was quite the adventure. I nearly died several times."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#27 Post by Hvalreki »

The Toasted Troll Tavern

Bogtown, Duchy of Aerik.

June 6th 1066.

Gunter Red Shirt

"Oh we found him all right. Not good doesn't begin to cover it." He tilts his chin up so Dalin can get a good look at the finger marks seared into the flesh of his neck. More quietly he continues, "too many ears in the commons to get into the dark details if you catch me drift."

GreyWolfVT

#28 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Dalin nods his head "In my line of training I know exactly what you mean." his eyes go wide at the sight of the finger marks seared into Gunter's flesh. "Lived to tell the tale so I suppose it could have been worse. It'll leave a tale to tell for sure though when folks see that."

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Spearmint »

sorry for delay. I was waiting in players and fielding your private questions.

The Toasted Troll Tavern

The group touch base and swap stories. Both have 'edge of your seat' testimonials regarding near death experiences and battling against the odds. Dalin seems to permanently dabble in disease. Savant getting infected and dying as a Myconid, catching 'Mummy rot', helping lepers, meeting Arthuro suffering lignification. Those encounters are left behind; folk dead, healed or still diseased. A quiet backwater like Bogtown and couriering a message seems a more peaceful endeavour.

Golgarth and Gunter have spent the last days in watchful preparedness. Resting to recuperate and unwilling to leave town until the cult operation is fully brought to light, exposed and destroyed. They have not stopped checking folk, peering down the backs of collars just in case more tick afflictions leech on townsfolk.

While the two groups have distinct aims, common values and plenty of beer bring them together.
"You know if Renata is around? I've got a letter for her from Perni back in Helix. I helped Renata a couple of times in the recent past."
The dwarf has a message to hand deliver. While no one of the group know of the brigandine's whereabouts, Dalin has been advised by Renata herself.
It has been a strange adventure but I think best we part ways here though if either of you are in need, you can call on myself or my comrades. Seek them out in the Toasting Troll in Bogtown. Show them this."
He wears a signet ring that once adorned the brigand's own hand.

you can decide if Dalin has extraordinary slim and delicate fingers or Renata has fat sausage fingers.

Cautiously you approach the landlords, buying an ale, flashing perhaps a 'guild cant' gesture and revealing the ring.

actions Dalin can you give me a pickpocket/sleight of hand. I will use the success to measure if only Ruby the landlady or other people notice.

"Not too openly dear. You will give me a bad name." Ruby folds her own hands over yours, passing you change for the round of beers then calling out the daughter who augurs fortunes from a crystal ball.

"Ebony dear, you have a customer. He wishes his future read. Whether it be long or short."

After a moment one of the wenches comes across to the table, clutching a draped orb of glass. Ebony sits opposite Dalin, shooing away the group NPC's so just the characters sit around. She shakes the orb which like a snow globe floats a myriad of specks into a cloudy scene, swirling as though driven by a furious internal gale before settling. It looks colourful but you are not sure if the wench is just a soothsaying charlatan or an actual prophet of future possibilities.

actions Dalin, Gunter, Golgarth, Johka.

Ebony will 'read some future' depending on your questions and also comment upon Renata in the next update.. I would like each of you who look in to the orb or talk with Ebony give me a Wisdom based [1d20] roll.

GreyWolfVT

#30 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Dalin with Renata's signet ring on his pinky as that was the only finger it would fit, fiddles with the ring as he sits there. "Fortunes eh? Alright I'll bite. Let see what mine is." he says a bit skeptically.

PP 40% [1d100]=1

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#31 Post by Bluetongue »

sorry for hold up. 'there be trouble at the Mill'. Will post tomorrow.

Joey2k
Scout
Scout

#32 Post by Joey2k »

Johka thanks Golgarth for the drink (and his player apologizes for not having realized his story arc had jumped to a different thread).

Sitting near Dalin as Ebony manipulates her orb, slightly mistrustful, waiting to see waiting to see the result of his companion's interaction before committing to any of his own.

Assuming nothing ill happens to Dalin...

[1d20]=20

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#33 Post by Hvalreki »

The Toasted Troll Tavern

Gunter Red Shirt

Gunter breaks out into a cold sweat as he waits his turn with the fortune teller. He's never liked auguries and normally gives soothsayers a wide berth. Feeling a pull from somewhere he puts aside his fears and asks the lass"Where might we find the cult of the diseased one that we may root out this evil from Bogtown once and for all."

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Spearmint »

I am drafting update now. Will edit and post shortly.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Spearmint »

Sorry draft got lost. I am writing now.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Spearmint »

The Toasted Troll Tavern

Ebony sits in a sheltered booth of the tavern to scry futures. It is a cover too so that she may whisper in 'cantish' slang and inform Dalin of his quarry.

"But first a reading. Business and pleasure." she says and watches the drifting flakes settles within the glassy orb. A trio sit asking questions.

Dalin enquires. He is here as a favour for others and has no invested interest in the affairs of Bogtown. "But you will do. Here and gain interests in High places. The one you seek is in disguise. Find her at the Masquerade ball."

Gunter Redshirt jumps in with a few questions if his own. He stares into the orb but can not make head or tails of it. Ebony smiles, "The red shirt will run with crimson. The elves have succumbed. Given themselves over to rot and decay. They have abandoned hope and faith and wither as the leaves in fall. The cult has roots here and branches in Ironguard."

Johka too might inquire. "You carry two bloods within you. One fights for mastery over the other. Tame the beast within and unleash him on the battlefield."

Golgarth avoids the 'pagan arts' as Cromm Cruach might dictate. Such as little place for honest endeavour and making one's own luck and fortune. Still, he reluctantly agrees the Toadmother had some foresight they took advantage of.

Perhaps the readings are too generic or cryptic. It gives you a little to think about as you plan moves. The Masquerade ball happens during Duke Kell's birthday celebrations, which takes place in a few days. A private function you would think.

A tenuous link between the interests of the group. This festive event is being held within the Silvanus Temple in Ironguard. If the soothsayer's words are correct and the elves are corrupted, certainly you noted the drow priest present in Bogtown, how much further does the cult influence go?

And with the Duke due to attend a celebration in such a place, could that be dangerous to him?

next actions discuss and debate the suggestions and give me some direction how you wish to proceed.

GreyWolfVT

#37 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Dalin considering the information "Hmm, well it sounds like I'm going to a Masquerade ball then. I hope I won't have to do any dancing." he worries about having to dance.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#38 Post by Bluetongue »

Golgarth

Listens to the after-reading discussions.

"My concern is this cult. It has gone underground since we dealt with the drow priest. I am not convinced he was the source behind the cult. A figure of note but there must be more. The only way to find out is to face down the Silvanus Embassy and their Bounty Hunters, Inquisition of whatever it is named.

If they are afflicted by ticks or otherworldly spirits, then the last thing we need is that becoming a full 'coup' to over throw the Duchy.

It might not seem right but I think we should assault the Embassy. "

If Dalin, Johka and aides join us, we will commit to joining them. Dalin can then offer us as a new 'gang' to assist Renata in whatever scheme he has been sent for. The other rogue gangs in Bogtown were reduced, driven off or killed by the cult. Maybe that could give opportunity for a new rogue gang, (one that works on behalf of the poor not just brigand robbers mind).

He speaks his mind and will suggest we stakeout the Embassy and maybe send Froed, if he is around, back to Ironguard and stakeout the Silvanus place there.

Thoughts?

GreyWolfVT

#39 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Dalin decides to ask a possibly obvious question "Has anyone talked with Bjornark about this cult and missing drow? He appears to have a fair amount of pull in the area. I know he knows how to keep folks underground he may be odd but I doubt he would have any reason to aid the cult or drow but maybe he knows where they might be. Or I suppose the worst case scenario is he is unaware of this activity entirely and should be maade aware of it before he sends any of his agents out to investigate the blighted forest."

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#40 Post by Hvalreki »

The Toasted Troll

Gunter Red Shirt

"Has anyone talked with Bjornark about this cult and missing drow? He appears to have a fair amount of pull in the area. I know he knows how to keep folks underground he may be odd but I doubt he would have any reason to aid the cult or drow but maybe he knows where they might be. Or I suppose the worst case scenario is he is unaware of this activity entirely and should be maade aware of it before he sends any of his agents out to investigate the blighted forest."

Gunter absently scratches his patchy attempt at a proper beard.

“We heard of a Druid but things went too fast here to get a chance to see him. The Toadmother had some insights so I recon a proper Druid ]would as well. We should make a visit on the morn. Here, let me buy another round.”

Return to “Settlement: Bogtown”