OOC 1 - Clacking and Talk-Smacking Zone

hedgeknight
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: OOC 1 - Clacking and Talk-Smacking Zone

#141 Post by dmw71 »

tarlyn wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:24 pm I have been as far as 3.5 but 4 was like meh and 5 no interest in it whatsoever after having tried it very shortly.
I have ZERO experience with 4e, but I'm definitely intrigued by it.

A lot of homebrewers borrow things from 4e (e.g. the concept of 'minions' is a popular one, and skill checks) and incorporate them into 5e (but could easily be customized for other editions as well).
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#142 Post by tarlyn »

dmw71 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:29 pm
tarlyn wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:24 pm I have been as far as 3.5 but 4 was like meh and 5 no interest in it whatsoever after having tried it very shortly.
I have ZERO experience with 4e, but I'm definitely intrigued by it.

A lot of homebrewers borrow things from 4e (e.g. the concept of 'minions' is a popular one, and skill checks) and incorporate them into 5e (but could easily be customized for other editions as well).
People have skills in 2e or proficiencies so that is nothing new to be honest :)

I just found 4 and 5 is good to attract new people to D&D, yes but D&D is not a board game and 4 is a lot like the Board Games taken after D&D like Castle Ravenloft, Dungeon of the Mad Mage etc.
"I drained the soul of a monk once....... It tasted like Chocolate."

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#143 Post by dmw71 »

tarlyn wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:52 pm People have skills in 2e or proficiencies so that is nothing new to be honest :)
I think I misspoke.

It's not skill checks, but skill challenges.
-- Project --
-- DM --

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#144 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Yes I am not going to disagree there of all the newer editions since 2nd I actually like 5e the most compared to 3e, 3.5e & 4e. I'd even go so far as to say what some might take as fighting words and claim that I actually like 5e more than BD&D & OD&D. But then again... the only really big problem in my mind with those two editions is classifying races as classes unless you are a human. Thats only realy bumb in the road I have with them to be frank.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#145 Post by Rex »

I have never played 3, 3.5 or 4e, I am in a 5e game my God Son runs and have played in several of Dave's 5e games and a couple of others on here. I have even run a couple of adventures in 5e. The core system is good, but it is to super heroish for me. Yes both 2e and 5e have lots of options but the options in 5e are far more powerful and game wrecking then the kits in 2e ever were. OD&D is my least favorite but I started out with Holmes Basic and it is still my favorite, even if no one else cares for it. I like the other Basic editions but the race as class never worked for me or anyone I played with so we always changed it anyways. 1e is where I played the most and am most comfortable with, but every table top game I ever played in or ran was heavily house ruled. I want to run a HarnWorld setting here but keep getting stuck on the system to use, HarnMaster is the best fit and I am very comfortable with the system but it is a very crunchie system and running combat with it in pbp seems very daunting. I could run some version of D&D, I started using HarnWorld in the 80's with 1e, but you need to house rule it hard to get the feel right. I did it on here with the BlueHolme rules (a Holmes Basic OSR) once before and it went well but it was house ruled and I had a hard time recruiting players so we ended up with a pretty small group, although they did complete the adventure. Still pondering how to run it for pbp.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#146 Post by dmw71 »

Rex wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:33 am...5e. The core system is good, but it is to super heroish for me. Yes both 2e and 5e have lots of options but the options in 5e are far more powerful and game wrecking then the kits in 2e ever were.
Absolutely agree with this.

I am working to find a way to remove the "super heroism" without destroying balance because the actual gameplay mechanics (or the chassis), I think, works really well.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#147 Post by Karaunios »

I've always run games for my friends and they've always been OD&D, BECMI and 2e. I've got the 1e books too, but I've only played here on these boards.

Since I left Spain I haven't played that much. We get to play with webcam from time to time, but too little.

I've played 5e for three years here in Germany but the combats were terribly slow and the DM was looking at rules all the time and was also too lenient. There was no way we could die :lol: I also don't trust my German that much to run games.

The edition/game is very important to me, but it's the DM and the flavor what at the end of the day make for a good game.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#148 Post by Rex »

Agreed, the rules are the least important thing. DM, players, even the setting is more important to me.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#149 Post by hedgeknight »

dmw71 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:27 pm That said, a game being run using the 5e rules can be really awesome (and Gary's game in Baldur's Gate absolutely is!) even if no customizations or limitations are made to the rules.
Thanks Dave. That likely will prevent Oak from getting eaten in the "death" cave :mrgreen: :SAN:
Winter is coming...

Lance
Ranger
Ranger

#150 Post by Lance »

Sorry about vanishing, I'm on vacation and don't have as much computer time as I hoped. :(

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#151 Post by Rex »

Enjoy!

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#152 Post by hedgeknight »

Lance wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:53 am Sorry about vanishing, I'm on vacation and don't have as much computer time as I hoped. :(
All good, Lance.
Enjoy your vacation...which reminds me > I need to put in an "vacation" thread ;)
Winter is coming...

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#153 Post by hedgeknight »

Will give this another day for others to post actions and then it's killing time! :twisted:
Winter is coming...

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#154 Post by hedgeknight »

Anybody seen Darithe or Lance?
Winter is coming...

GreyWolfVT

#155 Post by GreyWolfVT »

hedgeknight wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 1:47 pm Anybody seen Darithe or Lance?
Nope. Looks like Lance was last active 7 days ago doesn't actually say when Darithe was last active. Best I can find so far. Other than searching posts it looks like Darithe was last posting 6 days ago in another game.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#156 Post by Rex »

Neither. I am in a game Lance runs and it has stalled. Hopefully he shows back up soon.

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#157 Post by Karaunios »

Rex wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 2:49 pm Neither. I am in a game Lance runs and it has stalled. Hopefully he shows back up soon.
Same.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#158 Post by hedgeknight »

Good morning, folks!
I don't appreciate you guys beating up on my poor, defenseless, giantess :mrgreen:

But thanks to some great dice rolls, we have a critical hit; something I haven't addressed in the rules. And actually, I don't recall them being addressed at all in the 1E DMG. Depending upon the edition, critical hits can mean just a good hit, lop off hands and arms, do an extra die of damage, or automatic double damage, or roll for another dice of damage, or....well, you know what I'm saying.

Unless there is outright mutiny, I would like to go forward with critical hits doing full damage of the weapon used. For example, Moan rolled a natural "20" and hit with his longsword; which, on a giant would be full damage, i.e. 12 pts (plus any modifiers). That way there are no extra die rolling to hold up the game. Are we cool we this?
Thoughts?
Winter is coming...

GreyWolfVT

#159 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Sounds good to me Gary.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#160 Post by gurusql »

works for me

Return to “Forgotten Realms: Adventures in the North (1e)”