Out in the black - 300-001

BackworldTraveller
BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Out in the black - 300-001

#41 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Leitz wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:39 pm "Ranjit, tell me about your friends that go through garages. Well, tell me via resumes, perhaps we can find more garages?" Angelo said, and smiled. "I'll review resumes after I rest. One page resume, to include an answer to 'how I can specifically help in the current crisis'. They might get hired, if we can find any saleable goods in those garages. I'm going to chat with the Emergency Coordinator and then sleep; be ready for any supply needs or tasks I send you."
I'm not sure we were "going through garages". More "finding a quiet space away from the patrols". We didn't want to be disturbed. And the girls are off-world now. They were just passing and looking for local colour! I'm not sure Kojo or Simeon would be much use. Kojo's waiting to hear if he's got a university place and Simeon's now a receptionist for a hairdresser. They say he's a trainee - but so far he's not done much training. But he can clean hair out of a filter really well.

And with that, Ranjit starts tidying and polishing the boat's surfaces. You don't want rock-dust in the filters either.

Angelo makes his way to the civil emergency command centre. Apparently you are expected as the guard lets you in. Here the Emergency Coordinator is organising the ant-hill - and ensuring that any suggestions from the "Military Liaison" (lurking at his shoulder) are undertaken quickly.
Pick a skill you think may be appropriate to finding out something useful in this chaotic room and make a roll: You have only moments to gain that really useful nugget that will "make you a fortune"!

The Coordinator notes your presence, points you at a seat and, after a minute or two comes over.

OK - I need you to make a quick run to a scrap yard. We are just negotiating the details but we need a pair of new accelerator coils to replace those killed by the crashing ship. Should be about two day out, maybe a couple of hours to load and two days back. And we have a passenger and a coffin to take with you. The coils are just two dTons each - but the packing, etc. will mean they are on 5 dTon pallets. And don't drop them!

A quick check on the hospital website shows that the coils are used in the manufacture of Technetium 99m.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by Leitz »

Angelo looked at Ranjit, and then shrugged. "Who is better off; the one cleaning filters, the one hoping for college, or the one learning the nuts and paperwork of getting rich? We all have people who think we wouldn't be of much use."

Play to his strengths! Broker, and +1 if Int or Edu help.

When the Emergency Coordinator (EC) came over, Angelo stood and greeted both the EC and the Military Liaison (ML). Before the EC started, Angelo raised one finger to suggest "pause", and then turned to the ML. "I have offered the emergency facilities of my ship, La Dolce Vita, to our friends in your time of need. I spoke with Force Leader Lal because she is a logistical wizard. Please ensure she knows that Port Control and I are serious about the offer."

As the EC spoke, Angelo nodded. "Please ensure they have a loadmaster ready, it will be a tight fit. My Chief Engineer will ensure we have supplies, and if our guests have any special needs I will see that they are attended to. You have my comm info, and we will be leaving on time. How else can I help you and our military friends?"

Angelo uses Persuade to affirm when he is one someone's side in a conversation. In this case, he has no issue with the military since he's not from here. He does plan on doing business here, so giving Port Control and the EC props also helps him in the long run.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Sitting in the office, the discussions seem to be mostly about debris fields, but two engineers (Roll=10!) are discussing life-support and appear to have the plans for the asteroid's water and sullage systems - But they weren't designed to have a ship hit them!. They seem to be concerned about cross-contamination between the two pipe-systems that didn't shut-down correctly. You'd guess that sometime very soon, they are going to be shutting down the asteroid's water circulation pending a flush of the pipes.

The coordinator seems unimpressed by the ship offer. Your boat is reliable - it's a long trip but doable. With your ship, it might break down. Reliability over speed in this case. We need those coils - lives literally depend on getting them here! The Coffin is a former patient. Not a good advertisement so we are providing free transport home to the body and their relative. Not salubrious transport but they will be heading home - and take your papers. You are going to have to land on Ares.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by Leitz »

Once the EC and ML are done, Angelo will head out by way of the two chatting engineers. "Gentlemen, please excuse the intrusion; my engineering experience is in power and maneuver, not large scale life-support systems like the challenges you are facing. I'm in the business of making things happen, and it sounds like you have a major problem to fix. What supplies will you most need that you do not have? What will the risks be?"

To keep things moving along, here's what Angelo will also do once the Engineering question is concluded.

Angelo sent quick messages to Jackson and Ranjit, covering the data on the water supply issue. Jackson could read the engineering writing on the wall, and Ranjit knew the local territory. He also sent a note to Becka; "I'm going to Ares for a quick turn around task, would you care to join me? Or to send anything non-explosive back to your ex? Maybe something cuddly for Kiko?"

And head to a nice soft bed for the last time in several days.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Leitz wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:13 pm Once the EC and ML are done, Angelo will head out by way of the two chatting engineers. "Gentlemen, please excuse the intrusion; my engineering experience is in power and maneuver, not large scale life-support systems like the challenges you are facing. I'm in the business of making things happen, and it sounds like you have a major problem to fix. What supplies will you most need that you do not have? What will the risks be?"
If you could find overt 800 dTons of pure water, that would help. Everyone is going to be boiling the stuff before drinking. The crash has dumped real shit into the freshwater reservoir!
n.b. The Dolce has a bit less than 1 dTon in its systems
Leitz wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:13 pm To keep things moving along, here's what Angelo will also do once the Engineering question is concluded.

Angelo sent quick messages to Jackson and Ranjit, covering the data on the water supply issue. Jackson could read the engineering writing on the wall, and Ranjit knew the local territory. He also sent a note to Becka; "I'm going to Ares for a quick turn around task, would you care to join me? Or to send anything non-explosive back to your ex? Maybe something cuddly for Kiko?"

And head to a nice soft bed for the last time in several days.
From Becka
I can't leave the hospital at the moment - kinda busy. Non-Explosive sounds limiting...Sharps, Biologicals, Radioactives, Poisons...Best not - they might rebound on Kiko. But something cuddly for her sounds good. I would look for something cuddly for me, but I won't be out until late and you have an early start.

Jackson
Hey - I'm hired on for the week and Ares sounds good. You are going to need someone to check the goods before you accept them!

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Leitz »

"Let me see what I can come up with," Angelo said to the engineers. "Has anyone thought of just bringing a large asteroid here? You could probably re-filter a ship's fuel purifier in the time it would take to get a chunk of ice here. Then you have a large water supply for most uses and you can ration the drinking water easily."

He shrugged. "There are private ships at the yacht club, and I just moved a spinning gantry with a ship's boat. We know your EVA teams are good, and I highly recommend Team Echo Four. They just proved their ability to do complex work under stress. Something to think about; here's my card, if you have any questions."

"Jackson, I agree. I'm not sure who our passenger is, so let's have Ranjit ensure the trip will be comfortable for all of us. No alcohol, sadly, but we'll celebrate when we get back. Make sure everything on the ship is ready to go, and I'll see if I can find us some cargo." Angelo tapped a light. "Ranjit, I'm sure you heard that as well, hope you're looking forward to Ares. I'll send you some datapoints that need research."

On his way back to his lodgings, Angelo found a matching trio of the rarest of the fluffy bunnies. If no other cargo turned up then he could take some of those and build a cross-world pipeline. Still, high priced cargo would be nice.

Angelo will spend some time looking for cargo to take out, allowing for the coffin's need for space. He'll pack his travel bag, lay out his wear clothes, prep-check his vacc suit, and set multiple alarms to ensure he has time to sleep well and plenty of time to get ready.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Angelo spends three hours searching for a deal for cargo that will make the trip profitable, but finds only cargoes that are too large or too expensive. Having a small hospital asteroid with little manufacturing as a source and one of the richer planets as the destination is like getting a stone out of a gravity well.

Only a few more hours...but resistance to sleep is not a good idea so Angelo allows himself to succumb before he can find anything profitable.

Return to “A new Heaven? A new Earth (Traveller)”