OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Garrotten

#1 Post by OGRE MAGE »

B26A338C-1AE5-4FF9-8993-6E0B542636D5.jpeg
B26A338C-1AE5-4FF9-8993-6E0B542636D5.jpeg (146.95 KiB) Viewed 1437 times

Old Woman!

At the sight of the prone woman, Garvis looks more nervous about the situation then anyone else in the group, his head continuously jerking from side to side. “Not good. This is as far as I’m goin. You can walk from here. It ain’t much further.” He pulls his team over to the opposite edge of the road and stops, leaving himself just enough room to turn the carriage around for his return trip. He is about to call out when Carling exits the coach and rushes off into the nearby trees. Right behind him flies Vorpal, Draxon’s loud white owl, landing on a nearby branch.

Lestadt exits with a wince and shuts the door behind him, urging the others to remain out of sight. Looking around the area, the thieves spot no obvious signs of anything nefarious about to happen, but Lestadt puts on a little show all the same, before finally addressing the prone woman. She stirs slightly at his words and starts to roll over to get a look at him. “Errmmm, arrgghhh, what? Who’s there?”

Actions?
I will need to let the players police each other in a game like this, so if you notice something messed up or missed, please speak up and help each other out as if we were all sitting around the table together. Free clues will not be easy to come by in this game, so ignoring requests for rolls is not recommended.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Garrotten

#2 Post by Spearmint »

Redgrave

If Garvis turns around to head off, he gets down from the driver's seat and walks over to the turned on its side cart. While Lestadt deals with the woman, he will right the cart.

he does so figuring it will make a good shield from hidden archer's.

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Quonundrum »

Just a friendly reminder. :)
OGRE MAGE wrote: The coach pulls away from the gate and Redgrave thinks he spots someone he recognizes watching their departure from the wall above. The figure is hooded in robes, making them difficult to see clearly. Give me a D20 roll targeting your Wisdom or less, please.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Spearmint »

Redgrave

Redgrave Wisdom check vs 10+ [1d20]=20

"I spy with my little eye, someone beginning with ...?" he thinks as they leave town.

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Quonundrum »

Lestadt(Michault)

Lestadt turns around to briefly face Garvis. "Hold just a minute, Garvis. You'll be quite vulnerable turning around." He says in a loud whisper to the driver.

He pivots back in response to the old woman's query, but stops short of actually moving closer to assist her, as he pauses to look down at his hands and fine clothing as one who is unaccustomed with mundane tasks.

"Erm, yes. My name is Michault, madame. You appear to be in a trifle trouble of sorts? Shall Redgrave here assist with your ... hmmm ... wheelbarrow?" He seems to struggle identifying the laborer's tool.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by gurusql »

Draxon

Draxon uses his owl superior vision to make sure the woman is as she appears and to look for others hiding in the woods, but otherwise remains at the ready.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Rex »

Zahra

Zahra will hop out when she hears Garvis talk of turning around. She surveys the area and moves towards the women but keeps a little distance. "What happened to you?"

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#8 Post by Bluetongue »

Quicksilver Carling

Tries to hide in the shadows of a thicket, studying the surrounds and checking for bandits ready to ambush us.

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#9 Post by tarlyn »

Zap

The gnome remains alert for signs of trouble, not trusting this woman until she proves herself otherwise reliable.

Staying behind the others he tries to cast as silently as possible Detect Magic, focusing on the woman.
"I drained the soul of a monk once....... It tasted like Chocolate."

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#10 Post by dmw71 »

If the carriage driver heeds Lestadt's warning about being vulnerable if turning around in the moment, Ashley will remain in the carriage, out of sight, also per Lestadt's urging.

She listens intently, trying to keep a visual of the woman, and her cart from her position inside.

Her fingers instinctively close around the leather wrapping of her dagger grips.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#11 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Old Woman!

Garvis doesn't take kindly to being ordered around, and he lets Lestadt know about it. "Ya? Well? I don't remember Pelltar putting you in charge. So if I was you, I'd step aside." The cranky older driver moves his team around in a wide circle with a loud warning to anyone still inside the coach. "Last stop before returning to Restonford! Hop out now if you're going to!""

The old woman rights herself, brushing the leaves and twigs off her dark cloak. Despite her less than wholesome looks, she seems genuinely grateful for the help.
the_old_woman_in_the_woods_300dpi.jpg
the_old_woman_in_the_woods_300dpi.jpg (78.02 KiB) Viewed 1374 times
She starts picking items up off the ground and placing them carefully back into her little wheelbarrow that Redgrave turns upright for her. The items consist mostly of sprigs, bark, and leaves from several different plants, along with a few acorns and pinecones as well. "Thank ya kindly young fellas. I suppose it was a good thing you came by when you did."

When Zahra approaches, she smiles at the lovely younger woman. "I been getting these dizzy spells fer a while now. I think I musta laid down and fell asleep this time. Don't seem like nothings missin though, so I think we should be good. Thank ya kindly young miss. Say, you look familiar. Do you know anyone named Luna?"

Carling and Vorpal remain in the forest on the edge of the road, seeing no sign of ambush or any other nefarious activity nearby. The old woman seems incredibly calm for someone in her precarious situation. That demeanor changes instantly when Zap starts casting a spell at her. Before he gets out the third syllable, she bends down to pick up a stone and a switch, tossing the first at the gnome and moving towards him waving her thin stick menacingly. "OH NO YOU DONT MISTER! YOU TAKE ME FOR SOME FOOL WHO DOESNT KNOW ABOUT MAGIC? I WONT HAVE YOU TURNING ME INTO ANYTHING AGAINST MY WILL!!!" Despite her creaky old stance and the ridiculous odds, she seems very serious about stopping the spellcaster before he gets his spell off. Give me a d20 Dex check to see if Zap can avoid being hit with her sticks and stones, disrupting the spell.

Actions?
Spearmint wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:30 am Redgrave Wisdom check vs 10+ [1d20]=20
Redgrave noticed someone dressed in clergy robes from the Church of Phaulkon in Restonford watching them from the walls as they depart, but the dwarf couldn't make out who it actually was.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Spearmint »

Karloff Redgrave

he's not much for church confessionals or services. Singing in the dwarven choir might be his limit. A priest watching us leave? Or watching Pelltar. He shrugs, the man unidentified.

"Now, now. No need for that Ma'am and the indignity young Zap." casting a spell on someone is a rather obvious insult, if even done so in good faith. He remembers being peered at by Lestadt through his shimmering glasses feeling distinctly the man trying to undress folk of any magic items they possessed.

He rights the cart for the woman, checking her meagre possessions.

"You are an apothecary Ma'am? A herbalist perhaps. Are you collecting much in these woods. I thought these are dangerous paths, maybe you should let us accompany you back to Garrotten?"

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by gurusql »

Draxon

Draxon will exit the coach, "Thank you Garvis, may you have a safe journey back." After Draxon's feet are safely on the ground he will ask Vorpal to take a quick flying circle around the group and then return to his shoulder.

Draxon will look by the time he gets out if the old woman still needs help with her things he will help otherwise he will prepare to walk the rest of the way to Garrotten.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Rex »

Zahra

Does Zahra know anyone names Luna?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#15 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Rex wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:13 pm Zahra

I don't think so. ;)

The name has come up before though.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#16 Post by Bluetongue »

Carling

Crunches on a few twigs, snapping them heavily underfoot. He mimics adjust his trouser belt, "Better to pee now than pee later."
he says covering his very unstealthy creeping through the undergrowth.

Carling tries to Move Silently vs 45% [1d100]=99

"So taxi-wagon dropped us off early. Better get walking then."

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#17 Post by tarlyn »

Zap

Dex check to avoid having spell disrupted [1d20]=14

I believe I was successful in dodging?
"I drained the soul of a monk once....... It tasted like Chocolate."

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by gurusql »

OGRE MAGE wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:14 pm
Rex wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:13 pm Zahra

I don't think so. ;)

The name has come up before though.
Luna is the name a "nature lover" that Pelltar suggested we talk to before questioning others in Garrotten.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Rex »

Zahra

"No actually, Luna is the person I am coming to see. Do you know where I can find her?"

Thanks for the assist gurusql!

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Quonundrum »

Lestadt(Michault)

Lestadt displays an appropriate magnitude of indignation at Garvis's anouncement, as befitting his assumed station. This, along with a series of tuts, grumbles, and muffled declarations completes the performance. He does not attempt to stop the coach either, simply collecting his meager luggage and awaiting with the others as it departs back north.

Return to “L2 The Assassin’s Knot (1e)”