Action Thread #7 - The Other Side of the Mountains

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Action Thread #7 - The Other Side of the Mountains

#1 Post by Vargr1105 »

Day 4 - Early Afternoon - The Eastern Platform

Marching eagerly from the tunnel the companions emerge into a windswept on the Eastern side of the mountains. Fresh air! And it is colder here than on the other side of the mountains too.

A bleak, squat tower looms on its northern end, crafted from the stark rock of the mountain itself in a style similar to that of the old keep of lake island. The tower's dark windows stare out over the jagged grey peaks and ridges which drop away to the south-east. If one were to go to the platform's edge where a low wall stands a better view of the landscape could perhaps be seen.

All the adventurers notice, perched on the battlements of the tower, a flock of peculiarly well-grown and sinister looking crows regarding them with bright, malicious eyes.

The pangs of hunger nick at the entrails of some party members. It is, after all, past lunchtime.

The party is congregated on the "a" on the map. The tunnel they came out of is the upper passage. The symbol on the top of the map are the tower's doors. The tower proper is just outside and above the picture.

Note: the PCs that were uncomfortable during the tunnel journey are feeling a bit cramped/sore at the moment.

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Action Thread #7 - The Other Side of the Mountains

#2 Post by saalaria »

Swilbosh sidles across and slowly poking as little of his head as possible round the corner, attempts to look into the south alcove/passage.

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#3 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Thurinor stretches exaggeratedly, smiling. "That was not so bad, if one must go beneath the earth. And what have we here? More dwarven stonework, unless I am mistaken? And hello indeed, winged friends to greet us. I do so love winged friends. What do you think of their intentions, friends druid and ranger...?" Thurinor half raises his crossbow at the crows, as if considering a shot at this distance, while his other hand digs for a bite of waybread...

OOC: Is the scale 10 ft or yds or other? What distance are we looking at to try to pick off a crow or two?

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#4 Post by Stonjuz »

"Yes, Yes. Dwarven Stonemasters have been all abouts this place, but I am sorry to say, I can't pinpoint which tribe, or nothin' .....at all.......As grand as the place be, 'Fraid there's still not much to help us figure outs where we are."

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#5 Post by zebediah »

Ogirdor looks up at the crows while nocking an arrow on his bow Beware fellas, Swilbosh has never been in this area so we cannot tell what lurks here...

He will approach the platform to get a better view of the landscape beyond.

Sir Clarence
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#6 Post by Sir Clarence »

"Wait..." Andrin holds back Ogirdor before he might loose an arrow at the crows. Casting Speak with Animals, he moves closer to them and produces some dried fish from his bag as bait and bribe.

"Greetings, feathered friends, might I offer you something to eat in return for a few answers?" *

*translated from crowish

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#7 Post by Stonjuz »

Stonjuz tries to take a look at the view from here, grasps the symbol in his now familiar way and mumbles, "Looking out amongst these mountians.....this would make a nice perch for a......(gulp), dragon."

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#8 Post by Vargr1105 »

Sliding across Swilbosh pokes his head round the corner and takes a look at the passage south from the one they just arrived. He sees a tunnel that could be the win of the one that led them here extending straight until darkness prevents watching more.

Thurinor half raises his crossbow at the crows while he measures the distance between him and the perched birds.

The map has no scale so I assume its the standardt 10 ft per square, or 10 yards since the platform is technically "outdoors". Eyeballing it and considering the elevated angle I'd say the birds are at mid-range for missile attacks.

The elf gets startled when feels that the beady eyes of the black birds are looking straight back at him with apparently clear understanding of the menace that the missile weapon presents!

A couple of crows also appear to study Ogirdor as he nocks an arrow into his bow and beings to move to get a better view of the landscape. But Andrin stops him and proceeds to cast a spell.

Stonjuz walks to take in the view from the platform and sees the landscape extending below. The mountain cliffs, much steeper on this side cascade downward for miles until a large, flat, wide plain where a sinuous, almost serpent-like river flows north towards a mass of greenery on the edge of the plain's horizon. There its "head" glints reflecting the sunlight which falls on the mostly cloudless land beyond the mountains.

As Andrin finishes his spell he advances towards the tower, takes some dried fish from his pack and begins crowing at the large birds perched atop the battlements of the tower. The response is immediate; Andrin's companions see and hear the raven flock erupt into noisy cacophony and agitation, jumping around and cresting the feathers in their napes.

Their leader, a huge specimen more alike an eagle perks up and extends its wings (all 6 feet span of them!) and lets out a long, loud "KRAAA!"

If the rest of the party is set ill at ease by the raucous corvids then Andrin is nearly dumbfounded, for his spell allows him to understand what the crows are saying in their animal language...and the flock is laughing their feathered arses off, while the huge leader states a dire warning:

"It speaks! It SPEAKS! Man-thing wants answers. Keep away, KEEP AWAY! Nest is ours, not for the likes of you."

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#9 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Thurinor can't help raising his crossbow the rest of the way. He looks to Andrin and mutters, "That didn't sound promising..."

OOC: not going to shoot just yet, but definitely ready if any of them start to fly this way...

Personally, I'm rather intrigued by this stone edifice, but I suppose we could just take the other tunnel Swilbosh found and see where it leads...

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#10 Post by Stonjuz »

Stonjuz reacts positively to the birds, realizing that they, and their nests, do not seem threatened by predators from above.
"Andrin, ask 'em to be scouts for us whilst we goes in."

Sir Clarence
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#11 Post by Sir Clarence »

"We have no interest in your nest." Andrin puts the fish on the ground and takes a few steps backwards, slightly unsettled by the sheer size of these birds. "Can you tell us what lies in there?" He points at the door. "Or if someone's living here besides you?".

Hearing the dwarf's suggestion, Andrin says: "I don't know, Stonjuz, these birds don't really seem trustworthy to me. Besides, I doubt that they'll willingly enter dark tunnels or enclosed areas where they won't be able to fly or flee from danger. Let's wait how this conversation develops."

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#12 Post by zebediah »

Ogirdor lowers his bow but keeps the arrow nocked

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#13 Post by saalaria »

Swilbosh continues to monitor the passage - only his eye around the corner. He is expecting something to appear in response to the crows' increased noise

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#14 Post by Vargr1105 »

The crow leader keeps addressing Andrin. "Here lie only we, ONLY WE! Leave us be! Leave our nest alone, go away! Depart! Disappear!"

Meanwhile, Swilbosh peeks and observes but he does not see anything moving down the southern tunnel, despite all the noise from the birds.

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#15 Post by Stonjuz »

Stonjuz, confident that the Druidic fowl language is working, lets go of the symbol, letting it fall to its belt length, places his hand on hip, stands in awe, and thinks to himself, 'I gotta learn to do that!'.

Sir Clarence
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#16 Post by Sir Clarence »

Andrin moves back another step. "Better be ready, my friends. These birds are aggressive. I fear that if we don't leave this place at once, they might attack us. And that being said, I'd prefer the door instead of another tunnel."

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#17 Post by zebediah »

Ogirdor nods in agreement with Andrin Let us check the door then. Oz, can you see if there are traps on it?

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#18 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Thurinor grins widely. "I fear that if we are to get down from this mountain by any other way than dragon flight, it will be the second tunnel for us, sooner or later. But the door beckons with unkowns beyond it. Tell me when to start shooting. I have a missile no mortal hand has fashioned, with the big one's beak on it..."

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Sir Clarence wrote:Andrin moves back another step. "Better be ready, my friends. These birds are aggressive. I fear that if we don't leave this place at once, they might attack us. And that being said, I'd prefer the door instead of another tunnel."
zebediah wrote:Ogirdor nods in agreement with Andrin Let us check the door then. Oz, can you see if there are traps on it?
ooc: Hey everybody. Nice to meet you on the side of this mountain. I'll be taking over the character of Ozborn, so you may notice a subtle personality adjustment - no cause for alarm, it's just his "character evolution."

I'll go back over all the posts to get a better idea of what he's been up to so far, but in the meantime...

Ozborn winks and does the double-finger point at Ogirdor. That's my job! he says, good naturedly.

They want us to leave, eh? I'll take your word for it, Andrin. Even I can see they're upset. But, uh, this might take a few minutes, and I'm not sure how well I'm going to be able to inspect the door if those ...freakishly large birds get impatient. Keep an eye on them, I guess. While speaking, Ozborn casually takes out his short bow and knocks an arrow, though doesn't point it anywhere in particular yet. He gives the birds on the ledge a final, sideways glance, then begins making his way cautiously towards the area in front of the door, keeping a careful eye out for signs of traps, loose stones, etc. He'll also peer at the area above the door to see if it looks like anything might fall from there on an unwary door-opener.

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#20 Post by Vargr1105 »

As Ozborn advances towards the doors the gaze of the crows, in particular the rather well-grown leader type, seems to focus on him intently. As he takes a step forward he breaks some unseen, imaginary borderline that the avians set out and...they react.

The flock master bellows out an extended, fierce crowing which Andrin can understand as his enchantment of animal communication is still in effect.

"KIIIIIILL!!!" shouts the crow leader.

The air around him on the tower battlement's edge explodes with flapping wings, falling black feathers and corvish battle-cries as the flock en masse rises to do battle.

We are now in combat mode, time progression is by Rounds. The attempted actions of the birds have been selected by GM. Please declare your intended actions for Round 1 and post relevant rolls. No PC is quite sure exactly how many birds they are facing yet.

Let's hope Ozborn survives the battle. It would be ill form to slay a PC just as the newest player arrives to take care of him. Stil...sh*t happens! Bwahahaha! :twisted:

Return to “UK5 Eye of the Serpent”