Action Thread #7 - The Other Side of the Mountains

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Action Thread #7 - The Other Side of the Mountains

#81 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Thurinor stands well back from the area of floor indicated by Oz. "That might have been the death of me," he says with a too-happy smile, clenching and unclenching his fingers that were, a few moments ago, so very close to triggering the trapped panel.

OOC: Ha ha, I almost had the poor elf just prod the thing... then thought better... :lol:

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#82 Post by Stonjuz »

"Careful now Master Wizard. I'm gonna need your services. You know, the Invisble.....no.....the Hidden,....no.....ah yes, The Unseen Servant spell. Sooner or later, we gotta clean this mess up, bringin it all back to grandeur. You have that one inside that pumpkin o' yours?"

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#83 Post by ragnboneshopper »

"No, but I can make little merry lights dance about to dazzle your guests and frighten your unwanted neighbors. Same twinkle without all the work, you know?" And Thurinor laughs a bit madly...

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by onlyme »

Malone starts randomly shaking the cobwebs and dust off of him, and as things become clearer, he is glad he is still intact. He will wait until the trap is sprung.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#85 Post by Vargr1105 »

Day 4 - Afternoon - Eastern Platform/The Tower

Using Andrin's staff as a tool Ozborn prods the hidden panel open...

KA-CHUNK!!!

The 5-foot section of the floor directly in front of the panel drops noisily as it turn on hidden hinges.

Peering down the hole the companions can see a ten feet deep pit. At it's bottom lies another skeleton, also dwarf-sized. The skeleton is dressed in leather armor, beside it lie a dusty shortsword and a set of thieves tools.

Behind the wall panel that Ozborn opened lies a squarish cavity nearly filled by a wooden box.

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#86 Post by zebediah »

Ogirdor will try to move around the dwarf's remains with his spear (if it has sufficient reach)to check if there is anything else in the bottom of the pit.

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#87 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Thurinor lightly claps Oz on the shoulder. "Hurrah and good fortune! No one dare say our thief is not better at his craft than that poor fellow. If this keep is of dwarven make, it has not been kind to its masters." Thurinor then casts an eye about the room, suddenly feeling the surge of adrenaline that comes from possibly having one's hand caught in the cookie jar. He stays back to let Oz have space to check out the wooden box but remains ready to help with moving it if Oz declares it safe.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Ozborn hands Andrin back his staff. "Much obliged, sir,"he says.

He then ties his rope around his waist. When Ogirdor has finished pushing the bones around in the pit, Oz will hold out the other end to him, Stonjuz and Thurinor. "Could some of you hold this for a second? Just to be safe. I don't want to fall down there onto that disgusting pile of ...dwarf corpse." Once the rope is secured, he will lean out over the pit in front of the recess to examine the box for traps.

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#89 Post by Vargr1105 »

Ogirdor's spear proves to short to reach the bottom of the pit and the skeletal remains there. Ozborn volunteers to do some climbing and have a closer look.

I need a Climb Walls roll from the good thief and to know which of his companions are securing the rope he tied around himself.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Vargr1105 wrote:Day 4 - Afternoon - Eastern Platform/The Tower

Ogirdor's spear proves to short to reach the bottom of the pit and the skeletal remains there. Ozborn volunteers to do some climbing and have a closer look.

I need a Climb Walls roll from the good thief and to know which of his companions are securing the rope he tied around himself.
Actually, my thought was to lean out over the pit (while secured from falling by the rope) to examine the box (see above post). From the map, the pit seems to extend right up to the wall, necessitating somehow hovering over the pit to access the recess...

Or... is there space for me to step into the recess with the box? There didn't seem to be from the description.

Sir Clarence
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#91 Post by Sir Clarence »

"Good work!" Andrin slaps the thief on the shoulder while he retrieves his staff. He then returns to his watchpost outside of the room.

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#92 Post by Vargr1105 »

ChubbyPixie wrote:Actually, my thought was to lean out over the pit (while secured from falling by the rope) to examine the box (see above post). From the map, the pit seems to extend right up to the wall, necessitating somehow hovering over the pit to access the recess...

Or... is there space for me to step into the recess with the box? There didn't seem to be from the description.
Oups...and this after the GM said saying folks should read descriptions better. :oops:

Ozborn manages to remove the wooden box from the wall recess with ease. It is not heavy but it feels full. After placing the box on the floor all the adventurers can see it has no lock and that the lid is hinged. It looks remarkably like a miniature version of a family's cloth trunk.

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#94 Post by Vargr1105 »

The lid flips open to reveal...cloth. The box contains a fine tapestry, obviously valuable, wrapped in a bundle around something. Upon further investigation the object is revealed to be a a fine portable silver mirror. The tapestry itself depicts in a stylized manner the landscape that could be seen from the platform extending beyond the descending mountain cliffs: the plain where the serpent-shaped river winds to its gleaming head.

The tapestry is not heavy but it isn't the most pratical object to carry either. For encumbrance purposes it weighs the equivalent of 30 lbs (300 gp for those prefering to think in AD&D terms).

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#95 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Thurinor whistles low and grins at his companions. "Now this is indeed worth the long ascent up the mountain, no?" He again lets his eyes adjust to the mage sight of auras and glowing nimbuses, hoping and dreading what he may find out about the tapestry and mirror...

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#96 Post by saalaria »

Swilbosh nervously scans the sky from time to time.

"My friendsss can we try the door yet?"

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#97 Post by zebediah »

I think we should check inside this pit as well. It is not too deep, we can easily lower one of us with a rope. Oz, if you dislike tight spaces I can go myself, it will add to my recently gained experience with hidden pits. says the ranger ;)

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#98 Post by onlyme »

zebediah wrote:I think we should check inside this pit as well. It is not too deep, we can easily lower one of us with a rope. Oz, if you dislike tight spaces I can go myself, it will add to my recently gained experience with hidden pits. says the ranger ;)
Malone answers,
I should be strong enough to hold the rope for ya.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#99 Post by Vargr1105 »

If the party is taking the tapestry whoever is carrying it should place it on inventory. Rememeber to re-calculate Encumbrance and see if it affects Movement Rate.

With Malone's oxen muscles holding the rope fast and true the rangers goes down into the pit with ease. A short but foul investigation soon reveals all there is to see at the bottom of the bit. The equipment on the dwarf's skeleton is all rotted, the sword and thief tools lying on the ground are rusted beyond usefulness. But on the dead dwarf's belt pouch Ogirdor finds 15 coins of casting foreign to him, with small runes engraved near the edges of one face. They are made of gold and therefore untouched by the passage of time.

To Thurinor's eyes the tapestry appears mundane. No magical energies radiate from the cloth.

Meanwhile, Swilbosh realizes the door on the western wall he took an interest to does not seem to be locked.

Edit: The mirror also appears mundane to Thurinor

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#100 Post by zebediah »

Ogirdor will check the walls of the pit before going back up. He will show the coins to the team Stonjuz, have you seen coins like these before?

OOC - The ranger can carry the tapestry and mirror if no one else will. Can Thurinor analyse those for magical properties?

Return to “UK5 Eye of the Serpent”