Action Thread #7 - The Other Side of the Mountains

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Action Thread #7 - The Other Side of the Mountains

#101 Post by saalaria »

"The door isss unlocked" comments the Lizardman. He grips his ax tighter and stands ready by the door.

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#102 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Thurinor shrugs, a bit surprised but not deterred from interest in the tapestry and mirror. "There are no active magics here. But who knows? With a proper campsight, a bit of wine to loosen the tongue to magical speech, and an adventurous spirit to guide the otherwise cautious hand into reckless behavior, I may be able to tease out some mystical function or other that lay dormant after years of storage."

OOC: If you're willing to carry it, Zebediah, I'm willing to risk experimenting with it! :D

But first: Vargr, are you playing it so that only active magics give off auras? Is it possible that latent magic could be waiting for the right command and not be visible? Or is it clear that these items are not magical and have no magic potential whatsoever? Are there any runes that upon examination might give a command word or phrase that would bring one or both items to life?

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#103 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"Dang. I was hoping for a magical... um... flying tapestry? What is it that magical tapestries do, anyway? Magically transport us off this mountain? I leave it to your experimentation, Thurinor. Though i wonder if the mirror and tapestry work in conjunction somehow? All I can say is, you don't guard something worthless with a secret door and a pit trap. Hmm..." Realizing he ultimately knows nothing of these matters, Ozborn focuses on something he does know. "Alright, Swilbosh. Let me check out this door. Let's go see if we can get payback for that eye."

Oz will inspect in front of and around the door for anything suspicious. Again, he will approach along the wall.

Sir Clarence
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#104 Post by Sir Clarence »

Seeing that the attention now focusses on the other door, Andrin enters the tower as well. He carefully closes the door behind him as he does so.

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#105 Post by Vargr1105 »

Day 4 - Afternoon - Eastern Platform/The Tower

Ozborn does not find any traps on the door. Like Swilbosh said it is indeed unlocked; upon being opened it reveals a small corridor leading to a dusty and gloomy snail staircase going upwards.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#106 Post by ChubbyPixie »

After opening the door Ozborn is about to wave Malone and Swilbosh through in an "after you" gesture, when he remembers the unexamined boxes lying around the room."The mysterious boxes!" he says. "Would you all like to see what's in them now? Or wait till we come back this way?"

If the rest of the party wants to look in the boxes first, he will usher them outside or into the stairway (or they can go or stay in the room as they choose) and then stand outside the entry door, hooking his grapple to one of the boxes in an attempt to open it from a distance. Otherwise he'll assume his place in the marching order as they proceed up the stairs...

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#107 Post by zebediah »

ChubbyPixie wrote:After opening the door Ozborn is about to wave Malone and Swilbosh through in an "after you" gesture, when he remembers the unexamined boxes lying around the room."The mysterious boxes!" he says. "Would you all like to see what's in them now? Or wait till we come back this way?"

If the rest of the party wants to look in the boxes first, he will usher them outside or into the stairway (or they can go or stay in the room as they choose) and then stand outside the entry door, hooking his grapple to one of the boxes in an attempt to open it from a distance. Otherwise he'll assume his place in the marching order as they proceed up the stairs...
Of course, let us check it now. says the ranger If we could forget about those, if only for a moment, now that they are just lying in front of us, it should be more likely that we miss it again after moving to other areas. Plus there might be something useful in there.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#108 Post by onlyme »

Malone nods his agreement to check now.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#109 Post by ragnboneshopper »

"Indeed, the boxes are most intriguing. I don't think I could stand to wait, and you saw what almost happened the last time I thought to open a thing on my own..." and he motions to the pit with a half smile and a flourish of his cloak.

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#110 Post by Vargr1105 »

The thief perform his box-checking maneuver and the party discovers that the boxes are all empty. The wood on a couple of them is so rotted by time the lids collapse under the caresses of Ozorn's grappling hook.

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#111 Post by saalaria »

Swilbosh waits for the humans to finish their investigations and, assuming they will not just march up the stairs as he would, he waits to see what actions they will take before blundering off

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#112 Post by ragnboneshopper »

"Ha! What delightful play is this? Ruins, and inside are junk and decay. We live in a storybook of the gods, for certain..." With investigations done, Thurinor readies his crossbow for the ascent up the stairs.

:lol:

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#113 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"Yes, a bit disappointing. Ah, well. At least we got a souvenir wall hanging to remember this place by.... I'm ready to see what's upstairs if you guys are." Ozborn readies his short swords, one in each hand (just realized I could do this :roll: ) and assumes his place in the marching order.

"Malone, you look more like yourself! I was worried about you there for a bit. You seemed a bit stunned by the Raven attack. Good to have you back. Shall we?" he gestures up the stairs.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#114 Post by onlyme »

Malone thinks to himself. Ravens attack? I thought they were known for their defense. He answers,"

uhh yeah. The altitude musta got me. Sorry bout that.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#115 Post by saalaria »

onlyme wrote:Malone thinks to himself. Ravens attack? I thought they were known for their defense. He answers,"

uhh yeah. The altitude musta got me. Sorry bout that.
ha ha - I like it . Even I get that!

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#116 Post by Vargr1105 »

The adventurers make their way up the winding stairs. They lead to a door that is closed but not locked. It opens into a room that seems to once have been a warm refuge from the elements, but now offers no comfort. The fallen roof is mostly open to the sky, the windows are empty, windblown sockets and the furniture, four chairs and one table, is ruined. A chest lies open under the eastern window. There seem to be no other exits out of this room.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#117 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Ozborn's eyes light up at the sight of the open chest. He looks to the others for confirmation."Hold on a sec, fellas. I doubt there are any pits, unless they were designed to drop us into the room below, but I don't trust this place." He begins creeping around the exterior of the room, looking for anything vaguely trap-like. If it seems all clear, he'll carefully approach the open chest, looking for tripwires, pressure-plates, etc. in its vicinity before peeking inside.

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#118 Post by zebediah »

While Oz searches Ogirdor remains vigilant, bow and arrow ready.

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#119 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Thurinor once again lets his natural sight give way to mage sight, scanning the room from floor to ceiling and calling a warning out to Ozborn should anything radiate the telltale magical aura. "What's this about ravens? Something about don't kick a raven when it's first down?"

:lol:

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#120 Post by Vargr1105 »

No traps or magic auras are found; and gazing into the chest it does appear to be empty.

Return to “UK5 Eye of the Serpent”