OOC Discussion

ffilz
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: OOC Discussion

#41 Post by ffilz »

jemmus wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:16 pm Those look interesting, especially the first two (the guides to RPGing medieval Japan). I have Legends of the Samurai: Protect the Master, but I haven't read it. If you're going to use it, I won't read it. I've read the Lady Mijiko's Holiday adventure from the last link. I downloaded that one for free somewhere. I vaguely remember what it was about, but not enough to spoiler it for everybody if you use it.
I don't know that I will use any of the adventures so don't worry too much. If something looks like you might want to use it in your campaign, go for it.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by jemmus »

OK, sounds good. I've only seen any adventures so far that I'd use mostly out-of-the-box. Some have some pretty good ideas to work with for homebrew. The one good one I read was called Kwaidan. (Edit: Removed the link). But unfortunately it's mostly based on a movie of the same name, that at least two of us have already seen. :)
Last edited by jemmus on Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#43 Post by ffilz »

jemmus wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:08 pm OK, sounds good. I've only seen any adventures so far that I'd use mostly out-of-the-box. Some have some pretty good ideas to work with for homebrew. The one good one I read was called Kwaidan. LINK REMOVED But unfortunately it's mostly based on a movie of the same name, that at least two of us have already seen. :)
Yea, I've seen that one. Been admiring it since I first got that issue of White Dwarf...

BTW, we shouldn't link to such things...
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by jemmus »

Because the PDF might be an intellectual property infringement?
PCs

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#45 Post by ffilz »

jemmus wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:09 pm Because the PDF might be an intellectual property infringement?
It is... Copied articles from various magazines. Such links are not supposed to be posted here (see message on my Discord).

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#46 Post by dmw71 »

-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by Marullus »

Hey, it worked!

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by jemmus »

Notifications test for Frank.
PCs

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#49 Post by ffilz »

Keeping a watch on posting:

From the game forum, https://www.unseenservant.us/forum/viewforum.php?f=1222 in our case

Look at the very bottom, there is a subscribe/unsubscribe forum link. Make sure you are subscribed, that means you will be automatically subscribed to any new threads.

Posting in a thread should subscribe you to the thread, but if there are any threads you are not subscribed to, the little tool icon near the top of a thread page lets you subscribe to the thread.

You can also check on your subscriptions (I think this link will work for all): https://www.unseenservant.us/forum/ucp. ... subscribed

Also check your notification options https://www.unseenservant.us/forum/ucp. ... on_options

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by jemmus »

Just wanted to mention that I see that Starbeard's Lo5R's game got great reviews over in the What would YOU like to play or run? (Interest Catch-all) thread. Must have been a great one!
PCs

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#51 Post by ffilz »

jemmus wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 12:17 am Just wanted to mention that I see that Starbeard's Lo5R's game got great reviews over in the What would YOU like to play or run? (Interest Catch-all) thread. Must have been a great one!
Yes, that was a great game and convinced me maybe I could run a samurai game.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by Starbeard »

Did they? Gee, I was always nervous nobody was having a good time in that game! :lol:

L5R isn't super difficult, but it isn't exactly the easiest system to get used to.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#53 Post by ffilz »

Not sure if folks missed alerts on the new adventure thread.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by Starbeard »

Sorry, just wasn't really sure what to do after the prompt.

OOC, I think just wandering in to have a looksee in the temple and down by the stream our two obvious options.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#55 Post by ffilz »

Starbeard wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:05 pm Sorry, just wasn't really sure what to do after the prompt.

OOC, I think just wandering in to have a looksee in the temple and down by the stream our two obvious options.
Sorry, partly I'm still working out what skill means. I've run too many games with sloppy definitions of skills and how to use them... I was trying to avoid road blocking the PCs while acknowledging no one has Tracking. Yet, Hawking is also a hunting skill, so should provide some knowledge that would keep things from being a total block.

That said, the trail down towards the stream is the most obvious path forward.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#56 Post by ffilz »

Hmm, I should go through the bonus skills in Bushido and I could assign some level 0 which might help in a few areas.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by Starbeard »

No worries. After realizing I had to think on what to try next, I figured I'd wait to see what others posted and then forgot about it because no posts came in. I'm guessing we all did that and wound up waiting for someone else to post first.

I'm not sure exactly what difference no skill vs level 0 skill makes in the system, but it seems like a good solution.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#58 Post by ffilz »

Starbeard wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:08 pm No worries. After realizing I had to think on what to try next, I figured I'd wait to see what others posted and then forgot about it because no posts came in. I'm guessing we all did that and wound up waiting for someone else to post first.

I'm not sure exactly what difference no skill vs level 0 skill makes in the system, but it seems like a good solution.
Level 0 skills are a bit mushy. Technically PCs have every skill at level 0, but the system also really only talks about combat skills with riding being the only skill with any non-combat effect. I'd actually be fine with PCs all having level 0 with all weapons, and make level 0 more significant for non-combat skills. Optionally, I could give level 1 in all the bonus skills. I'll contemplate and will post updates soon. Non-combat skills have long been a sticking point for me with Cold Iron. Back in college, I added lots of non-combat skill stuff, and then they never actually were used, so I've been trying to re-think them in light of my more recent gaming experience and reading up on gaming theory and stuff.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#59 Post by ffilz »

I'm going to be off to the beach for the week. I will have my laptop and phone, but likely won't have that much time to check in.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by jemmus »

Have fun Frank!
PCs

Return to “Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron)”