Character Creation

OGRE MAGE
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Character Creation

#1 Post by OGRE MAGE »

This is the thread where we can discuss character creation.

Please keep any questions or issues about that topic here, and only here, so everyone can find them in the same place.

I have already had 3 players ask about bringing in a character from another game. For several reasons, I am not going to allow that. If that's a deal breaker for you, no problem. I will open the recruitment thread up again and we will find a player who doesn't mind creating a character specifically for this game.

You MUST remember that this is a scenario about solving a murder mystery. 6 half-orc barbarians, while fun to play, might not be the best group to attempt such a task. Please keep that in mind when you decide what class/race you want to play in this one. If everyone in the party uses CHR as a dump stat, this mission is bound to fail miserably.

You will each create one 4th Level Character: Campaign ID# 956

I want you to play what you want, but for obvious reasons, I need you to keep that within reason. As I have already stated, NO ASSASSINS! (I will post any other restrictions as they arise, since I am convinced they will) I would prefer straight up 4th level characters as opposed to something that is 2/2 in a multi class situation.

Creating a clever background for your character is appreciated, but you don't need to spend too much effort on this. As long as each of you has devised a reason that you would know Pelltar the wizard, and why he would have asked for your help, that is all the facts I will really need.

For stats, I will ask that each of you roll 4d6 six times, dropping the lowest die. (arranged in any order) This roll can be made a total of 3 times per player, to avoid any major stinkers, but you must roll them as a macro, then chose the one you like best. I will allow subtracting 2 points from one stat and adding 1 point to a different stat once per character. (17 max/9 min)

You can take full hit points for 1st level, then roll three more hit die rolls (plus any Con bonuses) for your hit points. I would like to see these done in a macro as well. Any 1's rolled for hit points can be re-rolled.

I will allow each player to pick one magic item of their choice, again within reason, and I will bestow another to each character, depending on what you chose. We can discuss that here or in private, but you should try to remember that it is imperative the group work together in this scenario, so keeping your stuff secret from each other is not really recommended in this one.

As established adventurers, you would already own whatever armor, weapons, or other gear that you want, along with some leftover coin in case of emergencies. (within reason) Please flesh out your characters however you like, again keeping in mind the specific task at hand. There is no need to be overly greedy as this is a one shot adventure.

You don't necessarily need to know each other at the start of the adventure, but I don't have a problem with it if you do.

We can fill in the rest of the blanks as we go along, but this should give everyone a good place to start.

I will edit in any addendums to this stuff in red print as they arise.
Last edited by OGRE MAGE on Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Character Creation

#2 Post by Spearmint »

Let me jump straight in then. Choosing the second of three stats rolls,

Redgrave: starting abilities randomly assigned: [4d6c1]=14[4d6c1]=10[4d6c1]=16[4d6c1]=13[4d6c1]=7[4d6c1]=14

I think I will create a standard Dwarf fighter and hope others can weigh in with more brains over brawn.

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Quonundrum »

Multi-class permitted?

I assume one wouldn't be level 4/4. :)

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#4 Post by tarlyn »

Jerynallgim Zaplefople "Zap"

Gnome Illusionist

Stat rolls :

1st one was very bad so I tried a second one and here it is,

[4d6c1]=7 [4d6c1]=11 [4d6c1]=16 [4d6c1]=15 [4d6c1]=12 [4d6c1]=15

HP :

4 + [1d4]=2 [1d4]=2 [1d4]=2

I am choosing an Illusionist even if he will only make it to 5th due to his scores

Magic Item would be a Bag of holding ,,,,,, Str 7 makes him have -150 Weight allowance lol
Attachments
Gnome Illusionist.JPG
Gnome Illusionist.JPG (46.14 KiB) Viewed 854 times
Last edited by tarlyn on Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I drained the soul of a monk once....... It tasted like Chocolate."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#5 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Quonundrum wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:35 pm Multi-class permitted?

I assume one wouldn't be level 4/4. :)
Correct assumption.

If possible, I would prefer that you didn’t multi class, for that very reason. :D

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Quonundrum »

Looking like a druid to me. Very useful to have someone able to talk to animals in a murder investigation.

[4d6c1]=16, [4d6c1]=15, [4d6c1]=12, [4d6c1]=14, [4d6c1]=11, [4d6c1]=13

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#7 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Nice!

I added a little tidbit to the main information that everyone should see:

I will allow subtracting 2 points from one stat and adding 1 point to a different stat once per character. (17 max/9 min)

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#8 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Private threads have been set up for each player if you have anything you would like to discuss before making things public.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by gurusql »

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#10 Post by tarlyn »

gurusql wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:45 pm Magic User coming - Looking for ESP and Friends spells

Characteristics: [4d6c1]=16, [4d6c1]=13, [4d6c1]=13, [4d6c1]=18, [4d6c1]=13, [4d6c1]=12

I have not made my spell book as of yet , but being an Illusionist I may not be able to help you... If I Can I will :)

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Quonundrum »

I think I'll go in a different direction.

A high charisma thief.

Good reaction rolls will be essential with interviews.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#13 Post by Bluetongue »

With your preferred restriction of staying single class, I note elves get a bow and longsword racial bonus but an elven single class thief is not permitted use of a bow. Is that something that might be addressed? That thieves might use bows?

I ask as I rolled an 18 stat which I might put into Dex and run a thief but not having many missile weapon options kind of handicaps that stat. Throwing a dagger 10'ft without penalty doesn't really help much.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#14 Post by Bluetongue »

think I'll go in a different direction.

A high charisma thief.

Good reaction rolls will be essential with interviews
Using the -2 for a +1 stat exchange, you could boost the 16 to a 17 and get in a paladin Quo.

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#15 Post by tarlyn »

I think it is because in 1e Bows were not the forté of Thieves .....

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Quonundrum »

Oh, right, I had not considered that.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Spearmint »

For the magic item, I wanted to pick something more random and less common than a standard +1 weapon or armour, though what I had in mind equates to thousands of XP value and more in gold piece value.

Do you want to put in any parameters, like max benefit or value?

Sorry, I seemed to have posted this in your LfP's thread so cut and pasted it here.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Rex »

I am going Cleric.

Str 13
Int 11
Wis 16
Dex 9
Con 13
Chr 14

Have to figure out a God/Goddess, this is Greyhawk correct?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#19 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I will try to answer these without quoting your questions, hopefully everyone is paying attention. :D

Unless you are into such things, you don't need to spend a bunch of time rolling for spells or gold etc.. Feel free to choose the ones you think you will need.

Thieves are not able to use bows.

As for the magic items you pick, I would rather not put any limits on their XP or GP value. Pick what you like, and be creative. As I said, you will choose one and I will give you another. If your pick is on the weaker side, you will get something better from me. If you pick something powerful, and I approve it, the item I give you will be less so.

Yes, Greyhawk. Lendore Isles to be precise.

Things are moving along nicely already, so as soon as I get a few finalized sheets approved, I will start populating the game thread.

REMEMBER to come up with a reason that your character knows and is willing to help Pelltar.

Tentative Race/Classes so far:
Dwarf Fighter
Gnome Illusionist
Human Magic User
Human Cleric
Thief?
Thief?
???

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#20 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Another important addition to the main post above:

Any 1's rolled for hit points can be re-rolled.

Return to “L2 The Assassin’s Knot (1e)”