Barrowmoor: Leibish, a destiny with Harmony.

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Barrowmoor: Leibish, a destiny with Harmony.

#41 Post by Darithe »

Sigrid watches Harmony with concern as she examines the concealed panel but remains quiet as Leibish reminds her that we are guests. The druid has been kind and forthright with us, so Sigrid sees no reason to provoke his wrath by snooping where they should not. She sits quietly in the reception area studying her books until Leibish speaks to her. "Well," she responds, "my knowledge of this area is very limited as I have only recently journeyed to this land from the northern reaches. During my travels, I have never encountered a creature like these Saurons. Master Bjornark's intentions are clearly benevolent so I am inclined to follow his advice, but you are the leader here and I will abide by whatever decision you make. But should you get me killed, I expect I'd have to haunt you just on principle." She places a warm hand on his arm and smiles, "So don't do that because white does not become me."

SilverBen
Ranger
Ranger

#42 Post by SilverBen »

Spearmint and Darithe, I will be unavailable to respond to posts Wednesday and Thursday of this week celebrating the Jewish holiday of Purim

I will be back online Friday morning, Eastern Standard Time.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery: “If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up people together to collect wood and don’t assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.”

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by Spearmint »

Moorwash Overlook.

The ruined moathouse of Bjornark, the 'Mad Druid'.

May 12th 1066.

Deciding not to intrude upon their host's hospitality or the dungeon below the secret door, the trio rest fitfully in the decrepit reception room set aside for them. Ignoring the mice that come to nibble crumbs and a rather large toad croaking on the moat embankments, the night passes with regard to creatures.

You make you own breakfast and ablutions in the dawn hours. Rondahl checks you are fine, providing each with some seasoned rations and clean water. He also adds a 1st Aid Kit should you come to some misfortune.

"Bjornark sends his regards. Master is busy with his studies." As you exit the ruin you see the squat round tower by the moat drawbridge which had been described as having large hawks nesting in it. The druid, perhaps expressing some of the behaviours which earned him the 'mad' moniker or perhaps enjoying the morning sun in a druidic ritual is on top of the tower looking out towards the morning sun as it rises. He is stark naked, the hawks flying and perching upon his outstretched arms.

He shivers though not with the cold, like a dog ridding his fur of water. Perhaps he has adopted more 'animal' nature than is usual for the sect.

Keeping to a narrow trail you trek along the north bank of the Moorwash River, walking upstream of the of the wide, slow flowing waters, trekking in a roughly south-east direction. You trek without incident (despite numerous random rolls) seeing grazing herds, the odd larger predator stalking in the grass or lazing about as the larger reptiles do upon the river embankment or rocks to bask in the morning warmth.

By late morning after travelling four hours you come opposite some thicker woodland. You can take a break for lunch and rest a few moments, ignoring any fire camp in favour of dry rations.

Crossing the river here might shortcut your journey by several miles though you have no means to ford the waters. However a little further upstream, perhaps a long bowshot away, you note several birds seemingly perched midstream above the river, steadfastly clutching the cords of a thick hemp rope which dangles loosely across the divide.

actions and comments please
Attachments
Region map
Region map
Screenshot_20220321-205156~2.png (1.14 MiB) Viewed 641 times

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#44 Post by Darithe »

Sigrid looks up at the naked druid, "My, he appears to be lacking um, his feathers," pausing for another look before waving up at the druid and following her companions down the trail. Once they reach river she taps Leibish on the shoulder, "Your eyesight is probably better than mine," pointing towards the birds, "Is that a bridge ahead?"

SilverBen
Ranger
Ranger

#45 Post by SilverBen »

Darithe wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:11 pm Sigrid ... taps Leibish on the shoulder, "Your eyesight is probably better than mine," pointing towards the birds, "Is that a bridge ahead?"
Leibish squints into the distance and replies to Sigrid with a shrug, "Truthfully not certain it is a bridge, Sigrid, we are too far for me to tell yet. Let's move up, we may find a ford shallow enough and with good footing to step or wade across. I am more focused on harvesting that hemp rope from those birds, which would be a handy resource to us..." he scans the landscape for potential hidden threats, "...but we know these swamps hide many dangers. If I can get close enough, perhaps I can scare them off and they will drop the hemp for us in their flight. "

He proceeds with caution towards the birds, remaining alert for concealed threats in the foliage, from the deeper water, and above the canopy of trees.

If Leibish is familiar with the bird species well enough to recognize them as mundane or otherwise common, he will approach them following the bank with bold strides holding his Elkhorn shortbow ready to shoot one down.
Leibish fires two arrows from his elkhorn short bow. [1d20]=16[1d6]=5[1d20]=6[1d6]=5

If he recognizes the birds as an intelligent or enchanted species, he approaches them hesitantly while holding his quarterstaff instead.
Similarly, if he does not recognize the species, he approaches with his quarterstaff. His intent will then be to commune with the birds and negotiate for the hemp in an exchange.

Leibish speaks to the intelligent birds in an exchange for the hemp [1d20]=5 vs Charisma 12
Antoine de Saint-Exupery: “If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up people together to collect wood and don’t assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.”

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Spearmint »

Rope Bridge over the Moorwash.

Getting closer you can see that crossing the span between north bank and south are two parallel hemp ropes. Several hundred feet, dangling loose but tied to a thick tree one side and a large boulder the other. The foot rope dangles perhaps twenty feet above the waters at its lowest curve, so falling off should only result in getting wet.

The birds perched on the top hand-rope are some strange hybrid for their feathered wings look more bat like and they have long 'humming-bird' proboscis for sucking up nectar rather than sharp beaks to pick up fish.

One takes an arrow, falling to float downstream. The others don't stick around to parley with the archer and the flock take flight for the treeline on the other side.

Should you wish to cross using the rope bridge, you might need to pass a dexterity check. Or you can continue along the riverbank and take a longer trek via crossing the waters at the Old Dwarf Bridge.

decisions please

SilverBen
Ranger
Ranger

#47 Post by SilverBen »

Differentiating player knowledge from character knowledge, Ben thinks he knows what those creatures are, meanwhile...

Leibish hastens back to Sigrid and Harmony with his report: "Those flying creatures are no birds, not any that I recognize. And, they have a menacing look to them."

He turns back to the bridge, scanning the span across and the height of the bridge with his eyes. "The flock took refuge in those trees across the river after I took one down. There's no certainty they are scared off for good. They may still be hostile if we approach them."

He turns back to Sigrid and Harmony and offers a smile of encouragement. "Nevertheless, I suggest we cross to shorten our trek rather than continue following the river bank."

@Darithe, He turns to Sigrid for her response.

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#48 Post by Darithe »

Squints, trying to get a better look at where the birds took refuge. Listens thoughtfully to what Leibish says, "I agree, best to shorten this trip considering all that has hindered us along the way. I have no wish to endanger Harmony longer than is necessary. So I am willing to take the bridge if you are." She looks from Leibish to Harmony expectantly.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by Spearmint »

Rope Bridge over the Moorwash

"We should take some precautions." advises Harmony

You have no rope or chord. She suggests cutting the bandages of the 1st Aid kit into strips and creating a loop around the top hand rope and tying off the length to a wrist. At least then if you slip you have a second chance not to fall into the river.

Testing the rope bridge, it is thick enough to certainly bear all three of you crossing in unison rather than one at a time. Sigrid & Leibish each make a [4d6] vs Dex check to maneuver on the rope.

rolls and any other actions, precautions please.

SilverBen
Ranger
Ranger

#50 Post by SilverBen »

Leibish nods in acknowledgement to Darithe and replies to Harmony in with astonishment, "An excellent precaution, my lady. I did not think of it."

Wasting no time to follow Harmony's advice, Leibish withdraws his dagger and a First Aid kit. He fashions makeshift harnesses and distributes them. (-1 First Aid kit from his character sheet) He knots the strip around his wrist, then wraps the opposite end around the upper rope of the suspension bridge. Before moving on to the bridge, he warns, "With our hands secured, we won't be able to fend off any creatures. Let's make our way across as quickly as possible - but stay together. I'll go first."

The intent is to move faster than normal speed across the bridge, if possible.

Crossing the rope bridge [4d6]=17 vs DEX 10

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#51 Post by Darithe »

Sigrid takes the harness saying, "I fasten this around my neck correct?", chuckling as she puts it properly in place. She waits for Leibish to start across and following Harmony does the same.

[4d6]=13 vs. Dex 11

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by Spearmint »

The Rope Bridge over the Moorwash.

Sigrid, Leibish & Harmony all have struggles to cross the rope bridge. Each fails a dexterity check and each loses their footing which normally would see them fall into the flowing current below. However the bandage cuffs hold strong and each can retain a grip on the top rope. The simple task looks more difficult than first impressions.

To cross, rather than trying as a trio together, you can cross individually, using a lower Dex check [3d6] vs Dex but that obviously means you separate for a few minutes as you cross from bank to bank.

The Stirges, roosting previously on the hemp ropes are not flying above in any flock' murmuration, perhaps the arrows loosed has frightened them away, perhaps they roost hidden in the woods beyond watching your progress.

Leibish & Sigrid, to cross individually give me a lower Dex check roll or decide another action.

you could always swim?!

SilverBen
Ranger
Ranger

#53 Post by SilverBen »

Leibish emits increasingly anxious moans as the rope bridge ripples and teeters under the party's unbalanced weight. He clasps the bandage to retain his balance before he looks over his shoulder and slows their progress to a halt somewhere in the middle of the span. "This won't work, but we've come too far to start back at the bank. I have a clever idea: If we step together and slowly, we may be able to keep our balance." He smiles over his shoulder, "Shall we dance our way across the bridge?"

He softly hums an elven walking song, (something similar to The Road Goes Ever On but emphasizes my lack of songwriting skills) alternately tapping his feet to the rhythm. When he begins singing the full lyrics louder, he takes one demonstrative step ahead - then back. He'll take another look back over his shoulder to choreograph Sigrid and Harmony's steps with his and make slow progress across the rope bridge in lock step.

Can we each roll 3D6 for choreographing our steps in unison to reduce the disruption to the rope bridge?

...Step with me now ladies...
The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

The Fellowship of the Ring, book 1, ch. 1 "A Long-expected Party"

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by Spearmint »

Can we each roll 3D6 for choreographing our steps in unison to reduce the disruption to the rope bridge?
Sure, go for the synchronization.

Harmony: Dex check [3d6]=15

Harmony just about steps in time.

SilverBen
Ranger
Ranger

#55 Post by SilverBen »

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#56 Post by Darithe »

One thing Sigrid dearly loved was to dance, the wind in her hair, the lightness of her step. So she dances along with Leibish and Harmony, in time as they make their way across the song of the waters below the music accompanying their crossing.

Moving along the line: [3d6]=10

And as they cross she sings a song of her homeland: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y12oQzvhX3g.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by Spearmint »

Rope Bridge over the Moorwash

nice. I follow some of Malinda shorts on YouTube and Colm McGuiness did a similar Vikings presentation.

While Sigrid and Harmony make a nimble crossing, the failed dexterity check by Leibish causes him to loose grip or misstep. He flails to correct his balance but at the cost of dropping his quarterstaff which falls into the current below, flotsam to be washed up in the sprawling delta miles away.

Eventually you cross, feet on solid ground, wrists numb from the bandaged grips that secured you. You have taken a few miles and a few hours off your journey, scaling the rope that spans the wide river. Thankful to roosting stirges that allowed you to notice it, thankful the stirges were frightened away to go leech victims elsewhere. You hurry along lest they roost nearby.

Heading directly south, you trek through a swampy forest. Mostly calf deep in water, you can trudge through murky pools, dank and smelling, covered in algae and floating Lilly's. The Cypress trunks rise high, filtering only meagre rays of sunlight to twinkle on the surface of the pools. You hear much croaking of toads and buzzing of annoying mosquitoes. Swatting endlessly, each is still bitten by numerous gnats. More creepily you cut away finger sized leeches that crawl up legs or drop from underneath passed leaves. Half crossing one such murky pool in the hope of gaining higher and drier ground on the other side, you see several ripples flash across the shallows in your direction. Long slinky eel-like creatures alerted by the tremors of your steps.

Skimming the surface then erupting with a lunge, each of you find both legs attacked by a pair of critters. Each has a large sphincter type mouth which it uses to attach to you and once gripped, the teeth begin to grind and bore into your living flesh to vampirically leech fresh blood from your veins.

The lampreys are the length of your arm though thicker. Once attached to a leg they curl around to feed and encumber your steps.

-1hp each & -1 dexterity as you struggle for balance.

Land Lampreys: vs Sig [1d20]=9 [1d20]=20 vs Leib [1d20]=9[1d20]=17 vs Hear [1d20]=18[1d20]=5

actions & attacks please.

you can attack a leeching lamprey at +4 to hit and attack those in the water normally.

Attachments
Lampreys
Lampreys
7551.jpg (43.22 KiB) Viewed 556 times
Bogtown creeks
Bogtown creeks
CajunEncountersNOLA-113-e1621744020377-768x512.jpg (111.45 KiB) Viewed 556 times

SilverBen
Ranger
Ranger

#58 Post by SilverBen »

Spearmint wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:53 pm ...the failed dexterity check by Leibish causes him to loose grip or misstep. He flails to correct his balance but at the cost of dropping his quarterstaff which falls into the current below, flotsam to be washed up in the sprawling delta miles away.
Thank you for your kindness, Spearmint, I removed the quarterstaff from Leibish's character sheet and would much rather lose a quarterstaff than have Leibish fall into the water to face more unknown creatures like this...

Leibish fails to stifle a startling yowl. Looking down with gritted teeth, he realizes the lamprey attached to his leg and desperately withdraws a dagger from its scabbard. He leans down attempting to sever the lamprey's head from its body.

Leibish attacks lamprey in melee with dagger [1d20+4]=9+4=13 doing [1d4]=4 slashing/piercing damage

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#59 Post by Darithe »

Sigrid lets out a scream as they slimy creatures chomp down on her legs, flailing about she tries to whack one away with her staff. She would have been better served casting a spell on them but she unfortunately relies on her first instinct to thwack them with a stick.

Attempt to bat an eel away with her staff:[1d20]=4

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by Spearmint »

Bogtown Northwoods.

The creek comes alive with slithering critters intent on getting their fill of protein rich blood, elven or human, all tastes the same to these sphincter mawed eels.

A blade rather than a branch seems to do the trick as Harmony and Leibish both cut critters off their legs. Sigrid fails to dislodge the one leeching her blood and streaks run down her leg and stain the creek in a crimson cloud. -1hp

More slitherings come, it is clear that staying in the murky waters only attracts more Lampreys to the feast. They ripple speedily across the water then breach the surface to lunge at intended victims. Harmony gets one attached to her back as she flees. -1hp

Once on dry land you can attend to them.

Land Lampreys: vs Sig [1d20]=7 [1d20]=3 vs Leib [1d20]=6[1d20]=11 vs Hear [1d20]=11[1d20]=15

next attacks please at +4 to cut one off.

Return to “Completed Expeditions”