Chapter 6: Cut to the Chase...

SpinwardMarch
SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Chapter 6: Cut to the Chase...

#1 Post by SpinwardMarch »

We return to our heros...

The Referee waves her hand, and you have all finished your trip to the northern continent of Vanejen!! (The Referee ran out of ideas for encounters with people and large land animals.) .

You find yourself flying over a semi-barren landscape. There are clumps of short trees and brush, but you see mostly dirt and rocks.

Below, you see scattered small villages, likely of the Chirpers.

Chiree and friends are getting excited, and talking a lot more. They know home is not far away. Oh, look we are over our land. Soon we will be home. Yay!
Vanejen
Vanejen
Vanejen.map.jpg (287.91 KiB) Viewed 776 times
Last edited by SpinwardMarch on Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
SpinwardMarch

SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Chapter 6: Cut to the Chase...

#2 Post by SpinwardMarch »

You are now speeding towards his village.

Anything you want to do before landing?
Land of the Chirpers
Land of the Chirpers
IMG_20220109_222918-01.jpeg (459.55 KiB) Viewed 775 times
(Once again, fun with watercolor pencils.)
SpinwardMarch

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by ybn1197 »

Madox looks down at the village. "I suggest we make a fly-by before we land. Can't be too cautious."

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#4 Post by spanningtree »

Ringar

Will do. Ringer obliges with a slow fly by of the village before putting down near.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Jernau35 »

Jrec

Jrec turns to Chiree. "Does anything down there look unusual to you?"
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#6 Post by SpinwardMarch »

Chiree looks down as you fly by, and says, No, it looks like it did when we were taken away. I am so happy! He claps his hands in joy, and chirps at his friends.

You fly around, looking for the best place to land. You find a spot a little distance from the village, so as not to scare the chirper villagers.

Chiree and friends almost jump out of the air/raft before it lands. But you all put down safely, and only then do they get out and run towards the village, yelling out in their own language.

What do you do now?
SpinwardMarch

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by ybn1197 »

Madox says with the air/raft for the moment. "Let Chiree and his family assure the rest there is nothing to fear from us."

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Jernau35 »

Jrec

Jrec makes a few circuits of the air/raft to get the blood flowing in his legs again.

"So now that our taxi ride is over, isn't this the part where we get paid?"

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#9 Post by spanningtree »

Ringar

In agreement to Madox's statement: Yeah... we might want to see just how welcome we will be before waltzing in.

Ringar will wait near their craft until he gets a read on whats going on.

SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#10 Post by SpinwardMarch »

As you discuss what comes next, you see Chiree returning with a group of what must be adult chirpers. They are unarmed, and look friendly. Chiree is almost bouncing, chirping happily at them, causing them to give him the "hey kid, slow down" look.

They approach and someone, apparently one of Chiree's relatives, goes forwards while holding Chiree's hand.

In a wavering voice, indicating she rarely speaks human words, she says,
Welcome. Chiree says you bring him back from terrible place, with Chaania and Chendee, in flying boat. We happy to have them back. Come to village, we celebrate!

Chiree says, Please come, we have real food, you will like it! We have gifts.

What do you do now?
SpinwardMarch

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by ybn1197 »

Seeing as how they are being accepted by the elders, Madox looks at the others and shrugs. He then follows the two chirpers back to the village.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Jernau35 »

Jrec

Jrec nudges Ringar. "I hope it's good food. I'd hate to have to tell them it tastes like chicken..." Then he sets off with Madox and the elders.

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#13 Post by spanningtree »

Ringar

In response to Jrec's comment: Yeah, not sure what to make of this but let's give it a try.... Ringar proceeds with the group.

SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#14 Post by SpinwardMarch »

Chiree is quite happy, and continues to annoy the assembled adult chirpers with his antics.

Oh good! Come along!
He waves you on, and at one point, takes Ringar's hand and looks up at him with a big smile.
You all approach the village, where most of the inhabitants seem to be waiting for you. They all seem happy that their children have been returnded to them.

They have quickly gathered together what amounts to a pot-luck dinner to welcome you. And the food is actually good; there is soup, flat bread, vegetables, and berries, and they are putting together a fish barbeque for the main dish. You have the first real meal since you left the capital city.

What do you do after dinner?
SpinwardMarch

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by ybn1197 »

Madox approaches one of the "elders" of the village. He clears his throat as a means to get the chirper's attention. "Your hospitality has been both magnanimous as well as unexpected. My compatriots and I have been travelling for a number of days under uncomfortable conditions and we would like to implore upon you for a place where we could rest for the night."

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#16 Post by spanningtree »

Ringar

Nods at Madox's query, not wanting to take the next step of asking about compensation quite yet.

When alone with his comrades: We should see if we can get some loot in the morn and be off. A question worth asking at this point is where do we go next?

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Jernau35 »

Jrec

"If we're lucky, we collect our money in the morning and head for the nearest starship off this dirtpile. But...it might not be so easy as that. Chiree did say that the elders might not be free and easy with their loot". He reminds the others of what Chiree said when they first met.
SpinwardMarch wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:16 am Chiree gives what for him is a smile and looks happier. I give you great thanks. I cannot promise the elders will give up their coins. They are from a time long ago, and are special. Perhaps they will be pleased with our return and give you several.

I do know that I can probably help you find a broken ship with many things in its hold. Ships sometimes land on rocks and sink.
"In which case, we might have to go fish for our reward".

SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#18 Post by SpinwardMarch »

As a reminder, you did pick up quite a few goodies at the station, including several of the coins.

The "elder" replies: We do have a guest house you can sleep in. He points to a hut, nearby. Your flyer did not look like a good place to sleep.

Chiree comes up to all of you, and offers to take you to the hut, and get anything you need.

The hut is simple, but well-insulated, with a door and wooden shutters. There are wooden platforms with piles of clean straw and a number of blankets. Chiree looks up at you apologetically and says, I know you sleep in beds, but we sleep in nests. I will try to help make this comfortable for you. He begins making human-sized "nests" for you, and then covers the straw with blankets. You find them comfortable, in spite of being occasionally being poked by straw. You will be able get a good night's rest.

What do you do now?
SpinwardMarch

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#19 Post by spanningtree »

Ringar

Thanks Chiree for the accommodation.

I' not willing to push the chief too much... I reckon the air raft and coins would probably get us off world with some spending cash to boot.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Jernau35 »

Jrec

"Anywhere I can lay flat would be like sleeping in the penthouse suite right now", says Jrec, holding the small of his back. He nods to Chiree. "Thank you".

"Aye, I hadn't considered the money from selling the air/raft. That'll put plenty in the pot. Especially on a world like this."

Return to “Research Station Gamma (Classic Traveller)”