Bogtown: The search for the priest of Cromm.

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Bogtown: The search for the priest of Cromm.

#81 Post by Hvalreki »

Gunter Red Shirt

Deciding that he doesn't trust his memory enough to get the cantish welcome right Gunter opts for a straight in approach with Sid there to hopefully lend him some credibility.

"Hullo mate, may me friend Sid and I join yer table and share a cup and a chinwag?

If the man doesn't wave him off he and Sid will join the table and have the waitress bring them all smallbeers.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by Spearmint »

Bogtown

May 20th 1066.

Home of Quirrell

Golgarth readies himself for action, not wanting to intrude rudely upon the schoolteacher but also not willing to see her endangered.

He checks the windows and sees the front room a little disorganised, chairs pushed aside, a vase knocked from the table. It is enough to convince him to barge in and confront any people harassing Quirrell.

At a critical time, the cleric thunders a critical hammering, whacking the skull of a possessed minion who throttles her against a wall. -13hp deceased.

Solly is not so favoured, facing a second minion who is ransacking a rear chamber. The pair wrestle each other.
next action Golgarth.

The Toasted Troll

The man is suddenly accosted by Gunter & Sidkrake who take a chair either side of him. The man suddenly feels like 'something is going down' but his fears are calmed by the arrival of a beer. "Do I know you?" he asks, taking the beer in one hand, clicking his finger to the mutt with the other.

Gunter conversation. Add charisma check please

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#83 Post by Hvalreki »

Gunter Red Shirt

"Easy mate and well met. I'm Gunter and this fine fella here is Sid, a local chap. We're here in Bogtown with a Stonefather of Cromm looking for a lost clergyman wot recently got yer well flowing again. You seem like a bloke who knows his way round these streets and maybe you've laid eyes on him or heard rumor of his whereabouts?"

Leaning in closer so as not to be overheard, "In the course of our searching we seem to have uncovered some rotten business your brethren may be interested in. There's undead in the well and an evil force that is turning sane men into puppets. We've seen and fought them twice now and we've only got to town today. Truth be told we need some help, and your clan does too or this town's soon to be fallin to the Witherin. The old Toadmother told us that 'erself afore we were accosted by witherin men."

He takes a long swallow of the smallbeer and hopes having Sid with him helps their cause.

Charisma Check vs 13
Not sure if 4d6 or Encounter Reaction% so here's both

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#84 Post by Bluetongue »

Golgarth
After giving the first guy a solid whack he dives into the next.

Golgarth initiative: [1d6]=3 Warhammer melee [1d20]=4 damage [1d8]=8 stun chance % dam+1 per level [1d100]=96

More like nose dives.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by Spearmint »

Bogtown

May 20th 1066.

House of Quirrell.

Blows get traded, a bit more furniture trashed. A 'Witherman', eyes roiling wrestles against Golgarth and Solly.
Toasted Troll Tavern.

Sidkrake and Gunter lean in on the rogue, sharing confidences. While they speak they also look around the guy, sizing him over for any hunches and bumps under his garments that might indicate a giant tick leeching in his back.

Dogs have ticks too. Sidkrake looks at the mutt as his partner tries to coax help from local rogue guilds. "Does your dog bite?" he says, clicking his fingers to get its attention.

"No." says the man, still wary of the two heavies accosting him, verbally at least.

Sidkrake reaches to pat the hound and it growls before snapping his fingers. "Hey, I thought you said your dog didn't bite!" scolds the mercenerary.

"He ain't my dog.

It's his."
he nods to another character who walks into the tavern, crossing the saloon and standing behind the man. A stout dwarf, tooled up with axes by his waist and a belt lined with barbed crossbow shafts. The hound rises to lick his master's hand.

"These men. They search for the Well builder and have encountered body-snatchers. What they speak confirms our fears." The sitting man speaks over his shoulder to the dwarf, introducing the pair then he rises to let the dwarf take his seat at the table.

this dwarf is Yhtgar's character. I will provide him some background and rumour.

actions please.

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#86 Post by Hvalreki »

Bogtown

May 20th 1066

Toasted Troll

Gunter Red Shirt

"Well met Dwarf, we've room for one more at the table," he says waving the "guildsman" back into his seat.

He fetches a chair from a nearby table and slides it next to theirs so the dwarf can join them. "Another smallbeer lass for me dwarven friend...er, what did ya say yer name was again?

Looking back at the guildsman and speaking quietly "Can ya tell us anything about our lost friend and whaddya mean by body-snatchers and fears confirmed?"

Ythgar
Tracker
Tracker

#87 Post by Ythgar »

Bogtown

May 20th 1066

Toasted Troll

Froed (and Kolt the guard dog)

Froed rubs the hound a bit roughly behind its ears, and looking as Sidrake with a nod says, "He does bite."

Taking the seat offered, he says to Gunter, "I won't turn down a beer and be mistaken for something other than a dwarf!"
With a grin he continues, "but what sort of table is this I'm sitting down to?"

He looks at the dog and says in dwarvish
"Kolt, down."

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#88 Post by Bluetongue »

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#89 Post by Hvalreki »

Bogtown

May 20th 1066

Toasted Troll

"Well sir Dwarf, I'm Gunter, Bowman and freeblade and me friend here is Sid a local chap from Bogtown. We've arrived today from Helix looking for a missing priest of Cromm Cruach."

Our other traveling companions are Golgarth, priest of Cromm and our mate Solly, a fighting teamster and all around good fella."

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by Spearmint »

Bogtown

May 20th 1066

House of Quirrell

The melee continues as the Witherman manifests, the tick on his spine feasting and injecting controlling enzymes to control the minions behaviour. As he fights he mumbles about "the Deep Ones awakening" and invites the trio to submit to converting also. He stabs the unfortunate Solly, -3hp but before he can land a second killing blow, he is coshed by Quirrell who smashes a vase upon his head. The man staggers then turns to face the trio. His eyes rolled back, voice hoarse and detached. He babbles in an ancient tongue as if repeating some ritual verse.

Golgarth actions please
Inside the Toasted Troll.

Froed, a dwarven rogue touches base with Gunter and Sidkrake. The trio ice break initial reservations then share each other's story. The dwarf brought up to date with the search for Elder Barraclough, the encounter with the crone Toadmother and the revelation of undead and cultic activity being uncovered in Bogtown. The dwarf can share his own story. He is not a Bogtown native but affiliated to a rogue guild that once had a small base of operations here. It seems a lot of guild activity went quite over the spring and members were reported missing. Indeed, some found face down in local creeks. While the gang has diminished, your inquiries do not show that another rival group is growing and increasing. Rather the few active rogue gangs based in town are all suffering the same fate, forcing the gangs to go figuratively underground.

You have seen the same manifestations in adherents to a 'new age' mysticism. Gunter explains the giant ticks that seem to act as a conduit to cause the normal person to act under strange compulsions.

Froed & Gunter decide on next actions.

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#91 Post by Hvalreki »

Toasted Troll

Gunter Red Shirt

Having accomplished part of the task of finding help in the form of a new dwarven friend, Gunter addresses the “guildsman” sitting with them to see if his guild can provide any help. He also asks him (and Sidrake), about other caves or ruins in the area that may link to the well or where they might continue their search next for the missing cleric.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#92 Post by Bluetongue »

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#93 Post by Spearmint »

Bogtown

May 20th 1066

House of Quirrell

While Golgarth swings in vain hope of coshing the Witherman, Solly gets in some bloody retribution for his wound and the second if the cultist minions falls to the floor, bleeding out.

The school teacher Quirrell binds up the wounds on the mercenary torchbearer, +1hp Solly. The two men are searched but few identifying items are found. Each has a large tick leeching upon them which are crushed underfoot, the bugs squishing with a large crack and splat upon the parlour tiles. Each also wields a ceremonial dagger, a blade etched with abyssal symbols and designs.

"You came back in time, a divine fortune for me. These men were asking regarding the gift of Barraclough and inquiring as to who my visitors were. They are just Bogtown residents, seasonal labourers."

The stress of the attack overcomes her temporarily. Golgarth actions with Quirrell please.
Toasted Troll Tavern

Gunter and Froedo converse regarding their knowledge of the resurgent cult and the strange manifestations afflicting devotees. Certainly the dwarf has reservations, knowing several of his affiliated rogue gangs have been killed or converted by the cultists.

You know of the crevice and cave of meditating skeletons beyond the Bogtown Well cavern. The settlement is surrounded by fishing and mining creeks but no other ruin or cave system is publicly known to be in town. Certain buildings may have large cellars or cisterns but on the whole, the town is built on boggy ground or buildings on stilts above the ground to cope with seasonal flooding.

From the encounter with Toadmother, the advice was that the missing cleric never left the settlement or at least is still within the vicinity.

Sidkrake, Thommo the second rogue and Kolt the mangy hound get ready to leave, following your directions.

Gunter & Froedo, how do you wish to proceed and where?

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#94 Post by Bluetongue »

Golgarth

"Well done Solly, a credit to the guild."

The cleric encourages the bleeding mercenary and talks with Quirrell the school teacher. He shares the encounter at Toadmother's and down in the Bogtown Well.

"I believe the cultists are making a move. To coerce or eliminate those considered threats to their influence.

I don't think Barraclough ever left the settlement. I was hoping that we might take advantage of the enchantments sewn into those cravats, that our minds might be guarded going forward. If you and the children have to spare?"

He also advises her to perhaps report this attack to the local sheriff / council that more investigation could be done.

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#95 Post by Hvalreki »

Gunter Red Shirt

Not wanting to split their forces Gunter and Sid wait for Golgarth and Solly to meet them back here at the tavern. While they wait, Gunter will ask around the staff and patrons describing their search for the old cleric in general terms to see if anyone knows his whereabouts or can recall the last time and place they saw him to try and get some leads. Was he residing here at the Toasty, was anyone helping him, etc.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#96 Post by Spearmint »

thanks for patience guys. I have pm'd Ythgar and will update here pending his post by Sunday Eve.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#97 Post by Spearmint »

Bogtown

May 20th 1066

Golgarth is able to secure a gift of cravats from the assaulted teacher. She hands out four, one for each of the initial group. Tied around your necks they will give a bonus to saving throws regarding charm, wisdom and mind effects.

After the attack on her house, Quirrel will go to the town council and hopefully get local militia to police the situation. In the meantime Golgarth and Solly, reinforced by rogues Dellboy and Rodders, return to the Toasted Troll Tavern.

Inside, Gunter sits with dwarven footpad Froed, with Sidkrake and Thommo respective backups. The dwarf has a mangy hound, Kolt who can add teeth and claw to any confrontations.

Despite asking in the tavern concerning Barraclough, you get little response. The landlady and her gaggle of daughters who serve can share little. " He stayed. He paid. Kept to himself mainly. Liked a beer and game of darts, visited a few houses to restore Cromm hearth-fires, went out to some mining creeks to encourage the labourers. Refurbished the well. Opened it with ribbon cutting and celebration. Haven't seen him since."

The question now is where would you like to go? Explore beyond the well cistern crevice, strongarm the Farrier or Smith for info? Revisit Verne and check out the apothecary"s fancy plague doctor costume. Something else?

decisions please

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#98 Post by Bluetongue »

Golgarth

The other place I thought about visiting was the Sylvanus temple and those bounty hunters. (The Inquisitors).

I am fine with buying a couple of picks to widen the crevice and explore beyond the Bogtown Well cistern. It is the only place we know of actually undead danger though it might prove unrelated to Barraclough's disappearance.

Deal with those skeletons then we can try some bully tactics on village suspects.

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#99 Post by Hvalreki »

Gunter Red Shirt

Gunter
fastens the scarf about his neck feeling both embarrassment and relief in equal measures.

"Ya know stonefather, I was thinkin that one of the witherin men wot assailed us at Toadmother's had a set of farrier's tools on him. Maybe we should investigate at the town stables or at the smithy. Maybe they've seen Elder Barraclough as well?

If there's nothin there we can seek out the grove of the inquisitors or venture back into the well as you see fit."

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#100 Post by Bluetongue »

Golgarth

Sure, we can check out the stables or smithy place. If I recall correctly the minion Witherman had stuff related to being a farrier on him. And possibly one such place was a little further past Miss Quirrell's place.

So I am fine going there first.

Return to “Completed Expeditions”