Movie Talk: Afterlife SPOILERS

Bluehorse

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

Re: Movie Talk: Afterlife SPOILERS

#2 Post by Scott308 »

I only saw it once so far, but I really liked it! The last 20 minutes or so were...I don't even have the words! I'm pretty sure someone was chopping onions near me. :D
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Rex »

I haven't seen it yet but it sounds like they did a good job with it.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#4 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I haven't seen it yet. Still planning to though.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Taaz
Ranger
Ranger

#5 Post by Taaz »

Same for me :(

Taaz
Ranger
Ranger

#7 Post by Taaz »

Finally watched it, it was better that I was expecting but there are still some things that make me scratch my head. I'm just gonna leave it with the MST3K mantra.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Urson »

Finally got the chance to watch. A damn good movie- IMHO, better than Ghostbusters II. And a lot more heart than I had expected.
FA FO

Taaz
Ranger
Ranger

#9 Post by Taaz »

I dont get the dislike of GB2, not saying anyone cant dilike it tho just I dont understand it. Sure it sucks to lose Winston's moustache but we got Run DMC on the soundtrack(actually the whole things a banger imho) and a cameo from Cheech Marin. What more could you ask for?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Rex »

I made it through the trailer of the second movie and never bothered watching it. So have no real opinion but I know several people who have seen it and not one liked it.

GreyWolfVT

#11 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Honestly, I haven't re-watched any of the old original GB movies in years. So I don't even really remember a whole lot about GB2 anymore. Was that the painting with the devil/demon dude?
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Taaz
Ranger
Ranger

#12 Post by Taaz »

GreyWolfVT wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:37 pm Honestly, I haven't re-watched any of the old original GB movies in years. So I don't even really remember a whole lot about GB2 anymore. Was that the painting with the devil/demon dude?
Yeah Vigo the Carpathian, I get people that think it was more of the same but a lower quality but I love it. It was always easier to get on VHS so I've probably watched it more than the original. It has some great lines and scenes with the OG guys so I recommend it. And the court room bust is one of my favorite moments in the whole franchise.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Urson »

I don't have one particular thing that bothers me about GB2- it just felt half-hearted, somehow.
FA FO

GreyWolfVT

#14 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Honestly the most I remember about any of the older GB movies is the Key master and gatekeeper bits and the giant stay puffed marshmallow man and naturally slimer.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Bluehorse »

Been on hiatus again, sorry!

So I have to say I have trouble figuring out which movie i like better. GB is the original and certainly has the heart of the entire franchise, but I am also a big fan of GB2 and GBA. It is hard for me because in my mind it really is all one long story with different chapters, including the not so cannon video game, cartoons, and comics. Sure, they don't all sync up perfectly, but there is a lot of great material that could be used correctly in any GB themed story. (Like what I am trying to do here.)

I found it fun to see some of those parallels like Ray more or less retiring into running his book store and Winston becoming a billionaire. Those were fun little unintentional easter eggs for me. Peter more or less followed the same line of taking what money he had left and running.

And as a native of Oklahoma, I couldn't help but grin seeing the setting for GBA was a rural OK town, through obviously representing on the opposite side of the state.

I felt like Phoebe was a great character and certainly is the "Egon" for future stories. It felt less forced than I expected and that was a pleasant surprise. Trevor on the other hand, I feel like they are trying to make him a Venkmen of sorts, but it just didn't quite translate. Maybe I am just too upset by the way they ramped the Ecto. I know it was CGI but DANG that hurt to watch. I do like that they let him have the moment in the end to shoot the electrical... transformers? and give him a shining moment to contribute in a real way. I could almost hear the dice rolling and really liked that part. Podcast is so obviously Ray 2.0 that it made me laugh. Just his outfits and the equipment alone made me remember the library scene from the first movie. Lucky was the only character that on some level felt forced to me. Okay, filling the Winston role. I get it. But she felt shoehorned to me.

I thought it was really neat to find out that Jason Raitman used his father, Ivan (the original director) as the body stand-in for Egon. That was a really neat touch and the CGI was well executed for those shots and didn't feel fake. I was excited to find out early on that Jason said the use of CGI would be done sparingly but practical effects were going to be a big part of it, and I thought it helped things "feel" like the originals but still looking updated. Took my who family to see it again only a week or two after my son and I went to see it opening weekend. My wife is not a big fan but even she liked it, and my youngest? There are no words for how much he loved hearing "mommy said a bad word" when she saw the jump scare in the basement scene.

I think what this movie did right for our generation at least, was it took us back. All my life I wanted to be a ghostbuster, and watching that movie, I felt that again, and kind of lived it vicariously through the characters. I think it was very well done and I look forward to the possibility of future installments if they are made with just as much heart.

Taaz
Ranger
Ranger

#16 Post by Taaz »

Oh yeah, I always held out hope they would give a passing the torch movie, which oddly enough i remember my "who would you cast" included Paul Rudd and Kristen Wigg, I get it. And it was a nice way to wrap it up for the guys, but the IDW one is sort of my perfect continuation for me.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Bluehorse »

So I keep finding easter eggs when I rewatched the movie, like the Gigga Meter in the background during workbench shots in Egon's basement. Have you noticed anything like that?

Further question: There was a lot of parallels to the story in the movie leading from the original movies to the "present day" in Afterlife, and what I had originally wrote in here. I have some ideas for how to sync those in already, but what do you think? Did their storyline hold water for you guys? Which do you like better? Just chatting here, not saying I will change anything. I just find it interesting and want to hear your takes on it.

GreyWolfVT

#18 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I've only watched it twice. But I did not notice a lot of easter eggs. I mean other than things they pointed out blatantly. Like playing the commercial from the original, showing a few different things from the original movies. I do have a weird question anyone else get chills up their spine with random things like Ecto 1's siren. Certain things that were to me flashbacks to watching the original 2 movies gave me that old thrill. Egon's ghost kinda got to me a bit too.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Rex »

I saw it for the first time this past weekend, Excellent movie!

GreyWolfVT

#20 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Return to “Ghostbusters RPG”