Movie Talk: Afterlife SPOILERS

Bluehorse

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: Movie Talk: Afterlife SPOILERS

#22 Post by GreyWolfVT »

When you are on the late show with Jimmy Fallon how can you not have fun?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2LHMcBdHEE
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Taaz
Ranger
Ranger

#23 Post by Taaz »

Ill be honest i prefer your universe to afterlife, the more I think of Egon just abandoning his kid...doesnt sit quite right with me, but I am open to anything

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Urson »

I see your point, Taaz. But, at the same time, it's a pretty common trope for The Hero to sacrifice his previous life to complete some world- protecting mission.
FA FO

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Bluehorse »

Taaz wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:24 pm Ill be honest i prefer your universe to afterlife, the more I think of Egon just abandoning his kid...doesnt sit quite right with me, but I am open to anything
Urson wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:07 pm I see your point, Taaz. But, at the same time, it's a pretty common trope for The Hero to sacrifice his previous life to complete some world- protecting mission.
See these are all the same arguments I keep making with myself about that. I get that if the world were to end his children would suffer so that is why he did it, and that no one believed him, but wow that was hard to watch. Still, I believe they did a good job showing he genuenly loved his daughter (and grandkids) despite living like an odd techno hermit (that will be the name of my indy band if ever I make one).

GreyWolfVT

#26 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Honestly, yes that part of the afterlife story felt a little off but the argument of nobody else believed Egon, he was trying to protect everyone including his own family. So he took matters into his own hands does sound a bit to me like Egon. I mean all of the original busters did sacrifice themselves to try and save NYC if only Egon had more proof I think the others would have come with him to help. But that is an entirely different side theory of mine.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Taaz
Ranger
Ranger

#27 Post by Taaz »

Yeah my issue is less about the sacrifice that makes sense but just, like for his daughter to be that old shed have to be born in the 70s so did he abandon her pre GB nd it never came up? Like i know i know its just a movie relax but theres a lot of stuff like that imho

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Bluehorse »

Taaz wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:50 am Yeah my issue is less about the sacrifice that makes sense but just, like for his daughter to be that old shed have to be born in the 70s so did he abandon her pre GB nd it never came up? Like i know i know its just a movie relax but theres a lot of stuff like that imho
I actually haven't crunched the numbers yet to see how old she would be. I think it would be good to have something cannon and written on what age she is rather than going off the actress herself. I haven't had a chance to look into it myself, but seems it could fit. I'm 40 myself and it would be reasonable for me to have kids that age or older, so I am not sure, we would also need a rough date other than "Post GB2" for when he left.

GreyWolfVT

#29 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I'm 39 and have two kids one is 16 the other 12. So it is perfectly reasonable if it was post GB2 guessing that would have been what the 90's when he left so if he was at least in his 30's by that point or older certainly could have had a young kid.

Hopefully I am thinking of the right character we are talking Egon still correct? Or are we talking his daughter in the new movie? Either way I've had 2 kids since age 27-28 ish.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Bluehorse »

Yeah, trying to work out the time-ish Egon would have left vs the age of Pheobe's mom. I think it looks about right but I will try to find something on the character(s) canon ages.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Bluehorse »

The movie is set in the present day and sees Callie Spengler and her children — 12-year-old Phoebe and 15-year-old Trevor — moving to Summerville, Oklahoma following the death of Callie’s father. As they acclimate to the small town, Phoebe, an intrepid and budding scientist, is quickly drawn into the mystery surrounding her grandfather’s farm and what he was preparing to fight against in his final years.

The "Ghostbusters 2" happened in 1989. There was no mention of Callie in either of the first two movies, which would hint she was born 1990 at the earliest. This would make the character 31 years old now, and her oldest child is 15—obviously possible, but this makes her a young teen mother.

So based on this, yeah, possible, and helps fit the cliche of poor teen mom trying to get it together financially. With her dad out of the picture and also broke, it is less likely she would have had help. I still wonder who her mom was. Maybe mom passed away already. I saw a theory that her mother was the lab assistant Egon was working with in GB2. I don't care for this theory but it holds as much water as anything else. I cannot imagine Jenine being the mother (Sad face) since there is no way she would have left them and clearly had no idea who Callie was at the beginning even though she was clearly still helping take care of Egon even if indirectly.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#32 Post by Scott308 »

It is quite possible that any of them (other than Venkman, obviously) had a family that just wasn't mentioned. We really don't know anything about their private lives, to the best of my recollection, anyway.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Taaz
Ranger
Ranger

#33 Post by Taaz »

Yeah, its not so much the ages and times as it feels very Spielbergy imho. Like even all stuff off camera could happen but like Janine barely reacts to them and you'd think with her and Egons implied stuff shed at least be pretty fond of his kid and her kids. Again I know its a movie and I did like Podcast more than I expected. And Gooberman, I just cant shake the memeberberries of it all. My sincerest hope is they use it as a love letter to Harold and then use the fact the spirit world is active to do a passing of the torch movie to a new group with a vibe closer to the originals.

Return to “Ghostbusters RPG”