Revenant
Revenant
Ranger
Ranger

Lupre

#1 Post by Revenant »

Lupre.jpg
Lupre.jpg (1.26 MiB) Viewed 1021 times
Lupre is always bustling with activity, as it is an important trading hub, due to it being on the edge of the Hartshorn Forest and a good stopping point for those traveling between Belay, Kraggen Keep and Ravenscar. It is home to the Temple of the Healing Hand, which is rumored to have a fountain of healing in the catacombs beneath its church. The largest inn in the Horn is located here, The Rover Return'd, which occupies two sprawling buildings. It is also home to a large merchant guild warehouse and guildhouse. The town is heavily protected by a garrison of troops who man the gates and watchtowers. The gates are all locked at dusk so any wishing to enter or leave must plan accordingly.

Revenant
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Lupre

#2 Post by Revenant »

The air is brisk and the wind adds a chill to your step as you approach the gates of Lupre off the Northern Pass Road. The gate guardians, both young men of no more than twenty winters warn you of the town rules in a bored, lackadaisical manner. All weapons are to be kept peacebound, at all times. If you witness any criminal activity report it to the guards which can be found at all the gates or on patrol. If you wish to leave or enter town again you must do so before dusk. At that point all gates will be locked and remain so until dawn.

Beyond the gate you see the town is abuzz with activity. A middle-age man sits just beyond the entrance in the dirt by the road, a dented helm before him. At the sight any who come near him, he asks for spare coppers. Past the entrance you note a sign indicating a place called The Second Skin, Quality Furs and Leatherworks. On your right a large sign for The Rover Return'd Inn, Edmur Krillovna, Prop.

You have to step aside as several mounted men wearing heavy armor ride out. There are four in all and they pay you little heed as they ride out. Somewhere ahead to the right you hear the distant sound of music and a breeze carries the smell of freshly baked bread making your stomach grumble.
Last edited by Revenant on Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#3 Post by spanningtree »

Thena:

To her comrades in arms: My father owns the Rover Inn, he'll welcome us with open arms... unless there is something else pressing let's head there.

Thena nods at recognized townsfolk as she passes them, giving a sign of blessing where appropriate.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#4 Post by Darithe »

Mave:

The journey from her parent's estate in Gull's Landing had been most distressing. Her father distraught over her refusal of an arranged marriage with that dolt of a Fallow boy and her mother fretful of ever making a proper noblewoman out of her had been at her wit's end, both combined like a stew over boiling a pot and overflowed in anger, as she packed her things and left. Her father red in his face forgot all the decorum inherent in his title as Lord Gallowhawk and threatened to disinherit her while her brothers, all three good knights of the crown, told her she should be grateful one of the Nine Houses wanted someone so...old...and the lastborn to boot, as a member of their house. They told her she had little other prospects and would die an old maid. As if she needed a man to complete her life!

And with that she bid adieu to her home and headed north, to where she did not know...as she had no real plan. But then there was the dream...it had haunted her for weeks, even before the things had come to a head at home. Lupre...the word forever seared into her heart by that strange girl and the rhyme she had recited. Somehow she felt this dream was perhaps her fate foretold. So she headed north for the town the girl had mentioned.

On the road she met a small group of fellow travelers who also seemed to be headed for Lupre and since there was safety in numbers, why not accompany them. The tall girl Thena seemed amiable enough, if a bit reserved, and when she mentioned her family's inn, it seemed an apt destination. Food rest and time to plan what lay ahead for her. The rover indeed..."Sounds like an excellent idea Thena," she remarked and thought at least one of us has a father he will welcome their return.

Nazard
Strider
Strider

#5 Post by Nazard »

Sir Athan:

Sir Athan divides his attention between wrapping the peace bond on Zenith’s hilt, tossing a pair of coppers into the beggar’s helm, and staring longingly at the magnificent warhorses that nearly trample him. Lupre is quite provincial compared to Meadowgate, but it being a new place, he bows to Thena’s expertise. Letting her lead the way yet also leading the way himself to ensure nobody molests his new acquaintances makes for an awkward dance.
Sir Athan

HP: 12/12
Arrows: 20
Smite Evil (+3 attack, +1 damage): 0/1

edwardsobel
Strider
Strider

#6 Post by edwardsobel »

Reggie:

Reggie arrives at the town gates, after hitching a ride with a small merchant cart. after some argument with the gate guards about the whole peace tie thing, (a custom she isn't familiar with, and not exactly happy about) she eventually complies with a threat of arrest.

of course after making such a "great" first impression she was reluctant to ask where the tavern was.

instead she just walked into the town looking back and flipping the guards a rude gesture.

After a bit of wandering she stumbles into the "Rover Return'd". scoping out the place she finds a place to sit and props her feet up on the table ordering some rum, or whatever strong drink they have in this place.

Reggie seem completely out of place in this town. no docks, no ships. she keeps an eye on the door looking for anyone bearing the symbol she is supposed to be on the lookout for.

Revenant
Ranger
Ranger

#7 Post by Revenant »

The Rover Return'd Inn.jpg
The Rover Return'd Inn.jpg (770.12 KiB) Viewed 978 times
As the clink of coins sound in his dented helm, the beggar looks up at Athan through bleary eyes and says, "Bless ya sir. Etiam in tenebris lux elucet." He then pockets the coins and to the others passing through the gate, "Coppers for a lost soul please."

Thena leads you to a sprawling two story building, the sound of music and delicious aromas emanating from within. You enter and take a quick look at what's inside. A big man stands behind the bar laughing as he talks to a young waitress and begins filling several mugs. On the far side of the room is a stage currently occupied by one young woman singing and behind her another young woman playing in accompaniment. Of the four spits in the room, only the south one nearest the bar is currently afire with a boar roasting. Decorating the walls of the room are various trophies, you pick out a great wolf's head, one huge clawed talon the size of a man's head and a tusked creature's head you cannot identify that is as big as a table.

The woman's song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-AkrYewQiU

It is still early in the day so only seven tables are currently occupied:

1) Reggie

2) Four rough looking men dressed in stained work clothes, no armor or weapons apparent.

3) A woman her face hidden in the deep folds of her hooded gray cloak. A bow and quiver lies in one chair beside her. Leather armor is visible beneath the cloak and that hood turns your way as you enter.

4) An older man (probably about 60) dressed in fine clothes who is focused on reading several parchments set before him. You see one of the waitresses place a glass decanter and wineglass before him and hear her say, "Anything else Mr. Tallow?"

5) A bent over frail old man in ragged clothes, a glass of water and a bit of bread before him.

6) Two men, one dressed in fine clothes who seems to be negociating something with the armored man across the table from him. He wears chain and is sitting with his chair cocked back at an angle as if mulling over something.

7) A dwarven man with long red hair and beard to match dressed in scaled armor with several mugs set before him. His steely gray eyes look you over for several moments before he returns to his mug a look of disappointment on his face.

The man behind the bar turns to see the three of you enter the building and his eyes light up at the sight of you, "Thena!," he shouts in a gruff booming voice as he leaves the bar and heads your way.
Last edited by Revenant on Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#8 Post by spanningtree »

Thena:

Father! She yelps as she strides toward him, embracing in a deep hug. Happy for the moment, she looks the big man in the face. You look well and the inn looks busy... keeping you out of trouble. Turning toward her cohorts: This is Sir Athan and Mave, I've been traveling with them... they keep me from making rash decisions. With a smile and shrug. Looking for work we are... a taste of the world.
Last edited by spanningtree on Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

edwardsobel
Strider
Strider

#9 Post by edwardsobel »

Reggie:

Reggie sits watching the people come and go, like she is looking for someone. Her appearance seems out of place, a rough looking woman that is garbed like a sailor. Though it's been days, if not weeks since she has been at sea, there is still the slightest hint if salt about her.

As the group enters, she glances their direction. Looking them each over. Pausing at the knight.

Her look is like she is hoping to recognize him.
She pulls the note (still sealed) from her coat pocket looks at the symbol on the paper then back at the knight.

She then slips the paper back into her coat pocket and takes another swig of rum. Then a bite of bread she took from a small basket on the table.

Nazard
Strider
Strider

#10 Post by Nazard »

Sir Athan:

Athan extends a hand towards the innkeeper. Pleasure to meet you, sir. And no worries, it hasn’t really been hard to keep her out of trouble.

Realizing that that didn’t sound anything like what he intended, he blushes a bit and slinks back away.
Sir Athan

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#11 Post by Darithe »

Mave:

Mave does a quick look around the inn to see if she recognizes any of the patrons. It is unlikely that she will but one can never tell about those who travel in her circles. She sees the look from the out of place sailor and gives her a slight smile, though it was clear she was more interested in Athan. Not that she was surprised, as he was rather handsome, if a bit backward in his ways. She offers her hand to Thena's father and says, "Yes, its been quite a chore keeping her from making rash decisions and out of trouble. But luckily Athan has a stern hand," she winks at the innkeeper. She did quite enjoy causing a bit of mischief. A taste of the world, she thinks she'd settle for a taste of one of his casks right about now.

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#12 Post by spanningtree »

Thena:

Thena worked in this inn and the guest house for years as an adolescent... ah, the memories. Catching a glance of Reggie she find it odd to see a barbarian alone, especially a woman. They are usually pack folk.

The day has been long papa, we'll take that table over there. She points to the table near Reggie, in the corner with six seats. I don't recognize the new wench but could you have her bring us a round of ale and dinner specials for each?

OCC: Thena will arrange a room or rooms in the guest house and board for Mave and Sir Athan with her father away from the main act here.

Nazard
Strider
Strider

#13 Post by Nazard »

Sir Athan

Athan pales a bit as Lady Mave implies that the knight has been beating the innkeeper’s daughter, and he gives the man an even wider berth than before.
Sir Athan

Zaella
Runner
Runner

#14 Post by Zaella »

Zaella

Zaella wanders into town, looking at how busy things are...she couldn't believe that she was asked to leave the academy. A few errant spells and everyone falls apart. She needed to head to tavern to clear her head. After a couple of smart alec answers, she makes her way into the busy tavern. Zaella sits at an empty table. She scanned the tables, her eyes came upon some one that looked very familiar, could that be him? What would he be doing here?

Revenant
Ranger
Ranger

#15 Post by Revenant »

Thena's father, grabs her in a big bear hug and whirls her around, like she is still a toddler, before setting her down back where she stood, "Your ma and sisters will be overjoyed to see you again!" He introduces himself to her companions as Edmur Krillovna, proprietor of the Rover Return'd, "Or least my wife Mira, lets me think I'm in charge." He listens as each of them speak, arching a brow and looking the knight over once more as Mave mentions Athan's stern hand, but Thena's quick change of subject brings his eyes back to his eldest daughter. "Ah if you are looking for work, you need not even leave this inn, but I think you mean more than serving customers and wiping tables off. You see old man Tallow there?" He points to the man reading parchments at his table (#4), "I hear tell he's having trouble at that mine he owns in Brindleseep. He sent a group of adventurers to help deal with it and I think they may have absconded with his money because they never returned." He then nods his head in the direction of another table (#6), "You remember Liviel and Cedelia right? They were...um...are about your age. Well, they were headed for that magical college...Windemere I think it's called...out near Belay. The group they were traveling with was attacked. The road patrol found three dead, and another three missing, including Liv and Ced. No trace of them has been found. He has been searching to no avail and is looking to hire someone to find them. Tis a shame," he shakes his head, "The King's guard is so overwhelmed with incursions from the Ashen Lands, and bandits in the Horn, they haven't the manpower to find them, or at least they haven't yet. Captain Leiber could tell you more about that. So you see lots of things going on in your sleepy little hometown. Aye, I know its been a long trip and here I am rambling on. Grab your table and I'll get some ale and food for you and your friends, on the house of course." He waves one of the serving girls over as you move to your table.

An elven woman dressed dark clothes enters and takes a seat and looking about the room her eyes settling on the dwarven man. She has apparently caught his eye because the red haired dwarf rises and moves across the room to her table taking a seat next to her at the table directly north of table #2. Reggie and the three companions hear a bit of their conversation. The dwarf says, "Hello Zaella, you remember me don't ya?...Dewdrop! Your uncle told me ta come here, he said you'd eventually end up in Lupre. Zed's up in the Scar workin' on a big job," the dwarf winks. "But he wanted me to warn ya. There's a woman who's lookin' for him from the Nost. And his contacts in Emereal said she's tailin' ya hopin' you'll lead her to him. You ain't noticed anyone have ya?" looking about the room.

A draft of cold air blows into the inn as the doors open once more. Seven figures stride into the inn looking about and sizing it up as they enter, they each have a dangerous predatory look to them. Six men and one woman, they make their way to the table north of table #3. The seventh figure of the group peaks Reggie's interest as she notes the shield on his back and the symbol she was told to look for.
Reggie's sigil.jpg
Reggie's sigil.jpg (13.77 KiB) Viewed 922 times

Zaella
Runner
Runner

#16 Post by Zaella »

Zaella

Smiles at the dwarf. "I do remember you"...Ponders his question "I haven't seen her directly but strange things have been happening on my way here. Several people have ended up dead that I've had contact with, I went back to talk to them and they had been killed. Throats slashed. It could be a coincidence." pauses before saying "I'm not surprised that she is after him, my uncle seems to make friends wherever he goes" grins at the dwarf.

The doors open to the tavern and the seven figures stride into the room, she silently begins the incantation for her favorite spell...

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#17 Post by spanningtree »

Thena:

Thank you father! Thena will take a seat with her companions around the table, she'll sit where she can keep her eye on the group of seven. Well, it sounds like there is no lack of potential engagements. Did anything sound particularly interesting?

Nazard
Strider
Strider

#18 Post by Nazard »

Sir Athan:

The missing girls would seem to be the most immediately concerning of the three. There will always be trouble with things coming up into the mines, and always raids from the Ashen Lands, but those missing girls might not have much time left at all, if they haven't already been done away with.

He pauses as the seven toughs come into the inn. Instantly regretting the cords wrapped around his sword hilt, he wonders how easily he'd be able to saw through them with the bread knife from their neighbour's table.

Unless trouble has already found us. Perhaps your father may indeed see how firm my hand can be.
Sir Athan

edwardsobel
Strider
Strider

#19 Post by edwardsobel »

Reggie watches the new group as they enter.

She gives them a bit to settle in. She stands and heads to their table, a bottle if rum in one hand.
She goes the man with shield that has the symbol.
I got a message for you,.

She pulls our the message and tosses it on the table and heads back to her seat.

She tries her best to keep alert in case trouble decides to show itself.

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#20 Post by Darithe »

Mave:

"I have to say I agree with Athan. Those girls lives seem to be the most pressing matter and need be dealt with. Perhaps we can get some more information about the crime from this Captain Leiber," she says to the two at her table, though she also listens to the conversation the strange woman is having with the dwarf. Her eyes follow the lost sailor as she delivers some sort of missive to the not so magnificent seven. She expects trouble but hopes it delays till at least after a good meal.

Return to “Nocturne (2e)”