Barrow Mounds: Relic Raiders.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Barrow Mounds: Relic Raiders.

#1 Post by Spearmint »

This is the expedition leaving Helix to the Barrow Mounds, principally to raid the 'Potter's Barrow' of more earthenware vessels and amphora.

It has been organised by Savant and includes Dalin and Eldon with his mastiff Sarge. Tamson returns, the young ranger acting as guide to the Moor.

Discussions at the mercenary guild need to be concluded as do any conversations and invitation to other available characters in the tavern.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Barrow Mounds: Relic Raiders.

#2 Post by Spearmint »

May 14th 1066.

After a protracted period of resting up from injuries incurred in their previous adventures, a group of plucky adventurers gather in the market square intent on trekking once more to the Barrow Mounds.

The plan is to return to 'the Potter's Barrow', a burial chamber now hopefully exorcised of ghosts and still displaying numerous shaped amphora jars. A simply grab, they had enough of the 'smash' last time.

They also consider the intrusion into the opened barrow by the strange hybrid humanoids that sneaked in. Fortunately they were able to surprise them before they were set upon. Rebuilding the broken seal as much as they were able, they hope the barrow and its contents are still intact and unguarded for the intended burglary.

Savant has purchased much gear to equip one of the borrowed horses left in the tavern stable by Vann Hector who is unavailable to join in. The horse has some large wooden chests yoked across its back and several empty saddle bags.

Eldon walks along with his trained mastiff Sarge, a large slobbering dog that is shoulder height to him. Accompanying him and acting as a torchbearer and camp side is a young Half-Elven female, Sundance, a cadet hired from the mercenary guild.

Towering above them both comes Fapp who actually rides a drooling, feral lupine; a warg that he is training. Stolen from the hobgoblin envoys at Bresnan's Ranch, he has to hold tight reins of the unpredictable creature. He rides at the rear so as not to spook the horse.

Dalin treks, his pockets full of gold won from the gambling table. He has a commitment to join a dwarven expedition to repatriate a long dead hero of the border wars and hopes to return to Helix in time for the Moradin feast day in a few days time. Tamson, the young ranger leads the trek along a familiar trail west and then south of the village.

Knatchbull, is not with the group, deciding to remain with the Mercenary Guild.

everyone post please and provide a 3d6 vs wisdom in your post.
Last edited by Spearmint on Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#3 Post by tarlyn »

Fapp

Fapp is happy to be around new people. He finds it really interesting to go to a place there were or was a ghost.

Going to the Barrows he may learn something new about Barbarians as well so that is a bonus.

In the time he has been in Helix he has named his newfound Companion Chewy.

Wisdom check [3d6]=9
"I drained the soul of a monk once....... It tasted like Chocolate."

torkill
Tracker
Tracker

#4 Post by torkill »

Eldon looks up at Fapp. "That's quite the pet. Where'd ya get him?" He pated his mastiff on the head. "This is Sarge. He doesn't seem so big anymore."

WIS [3d6]=9

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#5 Post by tarlyn »

torkill wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:51 am Eldon looks up at Fapp. "That's quite the pet. Where'd ya get him?" He pated his mastiff on the head. "This is Sarge. He doesn't seem so big anymore."

WIS [3d6]=9
Fapp

Fapp grins.. "Actually I get the feeling he is more my friend than a pet as I consider him my equal. Still learning about he and he about me. I found

him at Bresnan's ranch and he decided I was worth saving so I am going to try to keep as my friend. I have a keen interest in the Barbarian way of life so I think

this is good step towards my interest."

torkill
Tracker
Tracker

#6 Post by torkill »

Eldon laughs. "Probably for the best to consider him an equal. Otherwise, he might just eat you!" As they continue their journey, Eldon continues to ask Fapp about how he goes about training Chewy. Maybe he can use some of his techniques to teach Sarge some new tricks.

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#7 Post by tarlyn »

torkill wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:52 pm Eldon laughs. "Probably for the best to consider him an equal. Otherwise, he might just eat you!" As they continue their journey, Eldon continues to ask Fapp about how he goes about training Chewy. Maybe he can use some of his techniques to teach Sarge some new tricks.
Fapp thinks about what he does with Chewy.

"Well if you consider he is a wild animal compared to a dog, I am not sure if what I do is suitable to training a dog? Hmm.. well

I talk to him a lot, keep eye contact. Am always very chipper and happy with him. I reward him when he accomplishes whatever I am trying to

teach him with ear rubs and head scratches. And I do give him meat strips but not all the time as a reward.

I don't play with him yet as he might just bite my arm off.. he he he.

He pauses adding "I am still learning how to ride him, obviously. I would ,like to learn more about him and how a Warg lives in the wild.

Maybe do some research as to how Orcs or Hobgoblins teach them."

LordKane77
Guide
Guide

#8 Post by LordKane77 »

Savant

Savant surveys the motley crew he's assembled. While the site prompts an involuntary smirk, he seems pleased.

"Greetings all. Quick review, this is simple. Travel to Potter's Barrow. Make sure it's not reoccupied, grab urns, head back. Celebrate with a drink.....

Nothing complicated, no distractions, no nonsense. This run is for gold. Period. Let's head out."

Savant thinks this should be fine. Should be fine. No problems.......

Check [3d6]=12

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Spearmint »

May 14th 1066.

The Barrowmoor, southwest of Helix, Duchy of Ironguard.

Conditions: Windy but clear skies.
Visibility: down to 60'ft in all directions once on the Moor. Lantern (Sundance)

12.20am.

It is an eclectic group certainly. But the many skills give you a broad range of options except for one vital area of ministry, divine healing. Still the group have confidence in the strengths and press in down a familiar trail over soft peat bogs towards the promised land of burial mounds laden with ancient and hidden treasures.

Travelling several hours, the group is unmolested. Passing by herds of grazing deer and catching glimpses of stalking raptors. The warg, ridden by Fapp howls and snarls, the beast within still relatively untamed. But the creature's size is enough to intimidate the voracious raptors not to harass your steps.

Within a couple of miles from your destination, the group confront some tall humanoids who seem to be heading towards the same place though they have trekked westwards from the forest.

Separated by a short bowshot, the two group eye each other warily. Standing several feet tall and wearing patchwork armour, they bare huge but crude weapons.

actions please

Attachments
Bugbear tribesman
Bugbear tribesman
dji1krwfn1q31.jpg (833.04 KiB) Viewed 654 times

torkill
Tracker
Tracker

#10 Post by torkill »

Eldon nudges Fapp. "What fortune! They look like they could teach you the Barbarian ways."

How many hairy humanoids do we see?

LordKane77
Guide
Guide

#11 Post by LordKane77 »

Indeed, how many are there? And how scary are bugbears in 1e? Savant would have some idea?

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Spearmint »

you see three figures, one 'alpha' type as in the picture. The other couple are as tall but not as beefed up. But at 7'ft tall, each towers over you.

There may be more figures in the mist you do not see.

Bugbears are a form of giant hobgoblin. What you may know is that they live in nomadic groups that wander the wilderness as hunter-gatherers. The tribes are understood to be 'primitive' in terms of intelligence or industrial progression but they have obvious skills to manufacture weapons and armour.

Some frontier settlements have 'peace treaties' with outlying nomad camps but you have not had much to do with them.

LordKane77
Guide
Guide

#13 Post by LordKane77 »

Savant

Savant speaks, but tries not to be too loud about it.

Gentlemen, this trip is for gold. Does anyone speak... Whatever these things speak?

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#14 Post by tarlyn »

LordKane77 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:23 pm Savant

Savant speaks, but tries not to be too loud about it.

Gentlemen, this trip is for gold. Does anyone speak... Whatever these things speak?
Fapp clears his throat.

"I do not speak their language or even know what they are. However they might take kinder to me if they see me atop a Warg and approach them

in a non offensive manner. Listen, I am riding a Warg so I was somewhat successful with it, maybe I might be as lucky with these creatures?"

LordKane77
Guide
Guide

#15 Post by LordKane77 »

Savant

"I don't think there's any need to put yourself in danger alone. Let's you and I take a couple steps forward. You yell to them, and let's just see if they understand common. Tell them we're just passing through to the barrows. Let's just see what they say."

He turns to the rest.

Ready your weapons, but don't look like you're readying weapons. If anyone needs to vanish, do it now. If they attack us, we withdraw while fighting to make sure more don't join the fray. If there's anymore. I don't like this."

With that him and Fap advance about five feet, hopefully signaling that they're speaking for the group.

Unless Fap objects, I'd just move this forward at this point. But he was literally going to walk up and talk to them, so I'm sure this is fine.

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#16 Post by tarlyn »

LordKane77 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:05 pm Savant

"I don't think there's any need to put yourself in danger alone. Let's you and I take a couple steps forward. You yell to them, and let's just see if they understand common. Tell them we're just passing through to the barrows. Let's just see what they say."

He turns to the rest.

Ready your weapons, but don't look like you're readying weapons. If anyone needs to vanish, do it now. If they attack us, we withdraw while fighting to make sure more don't join the fray. If there's anymore. I don't like this."

With that him and Fap advance about five feet, hopefully signaling that they're speaking for the group.

Unless Fap objects, I'd just move this forward at this point. But he was literally going to walk up and talk to them, so I'm sure this is fine.
Fapp nods. Keeping his weapons sheathed. He attempts to appear as non threatening as possible as he advances on Chewy

with Savant. His demeanor is confident and he smiles. When they get within talking/yelling distance he will call out to the creatures.

"I am Fapp. My friends and I wish to just pass and head to the Barrows. We wish no conflict with you."

LordKane77
Guide
Guide

#17 Post by LordKane77 »

It's tricky because being threatening could be a sign of aggression, OR..... NOT being threatening could be a sign of weakness?

Tell you what though, you attack this group, you're getting bloodied, I don't care how many you have. So if they have ANY agenda at all, hopefully we're not worth it.

I mean, I do care, because I don't want to die here, but, you know, lol!

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#18 Post by tarlyn »

LordKane77 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:55 pm It's tricky because being threatening could be a sign of aggression, OR..... NOT being threatening could be a sign of weakness?

Tell you what though, you attack this group, you're getting bloodied, I don't care how many you have. So if they have ANY agenda at all, hopefully we're not worth it.

I mean, I do care, because I don't want to die here, but, you know, lol!

Yeah well I figured I would try the friendly approach. Listen ... like I said.. a Halfling riding a Warg and the Warg is cool with that?

And the Halfling is comfortable on its back, looking confident. Hoping that is enough to at least impress them or give them reason to listen to

what he has to say :)

LordKane77
Guide
Guide

#19 Post by LordKane77 »

Yeah, I feel like having a worg gives us serious credibility.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Spearmint »

May 14th 1066.

The Barrowmoor, southwest of Helix, Duchy of Ironguard.

Conditions: Windy but clear skies.
Visibility: down to 60'ft in all directions once on the Moor. Lantern (Sundance)

12.20pm.

"Be careful". warns the petit Sundance as Savant and warg-rider Fapp Bublu advance within yards of the trio of bugbears.

"I am Fapp. My friends and I wish to just pass and head to the Barrows. We wish no conflict with you." the halfling raises a palm in greeting, the other pulling hard on the reins of his snarling mount.

Bugbear parley [1d100]=75

Your approach borders on favourable. The three look somewhat confused by your appearances. A red haired halfling on a giant wolf, an ice white haired elf.

"There would be little conflict even if you wished," states a bugbear. He speaks in broken common. The two behind him mutter in some unintelligible tongue.

"The Barrow Mounds are but half a league yonder. What is your business in that place? The mounds have some sacred places that should not be disturbed." The big bugbear points with his spiked weapon, gesticulating behind him. He asks the question in an interrogative tone.

answer him as you see fit but include a 1d100 reaction roll in your post.

Behind you, Sarge barks before being hushed by Eldon. The dwarf and mage stationary with your supply horse. Looking into the mist you do not see any other figures except for these three.

Return to “Completed Expeditions”