Leitz
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: [5959.5] Aboard the Hussy

#21 Post by Leitz »

cybersavant wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:00 pm
Engineering

Sparks flew as the engines fully engaged the warp drive. Automatic fire suppression devices spew tainted and antiquated clouds over three sections of the warp core. T'See remained focused on the console, but said to Andrhonal, "It would be wise if you left the section, our work may or may not detonate."

Lt Jg Andrhonal B'Aarr "Is that an order? Extras arms may help prevent a disaster. The sum of the part is greater than the whole. Each engineer is a finger in your hand." Andrhonal waits to be dismissed or assigned a section to monitor.
Please give me an Eng roll, all mods.

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#22 Post by cybersavant »

gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by gurusql »

Thelin
Leitz wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:29 pm Eighty-nine point three seconds in, ENS Salazar looked at Thelin. "Sir, Engineering reports ready for initial warp tests. LT T'See expresses her sincere apologies for the extended delay, and accepts any disciplinary action you recommend."
I am assuming that was 89.3 minutes in (not seconds).

"LT Runyon, please engage at Warp One."

After hearing the reports of contaminated atmosphere in Engineering and then engines stable, "Ensign Salazar, I prefer my engineers being able to breathe. Please confirm that the atmospheric situation is under control before we increase speed."

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Leitz »

Engineering

LT T'See's hands flew over the warp console as her eyes remained fixed on the readouts. Alarms flashed over most of the panel. "The fumes will cause short term issues with your human physiology. If you insist on remaining, then procure filter masks for both of us, panel E-17. They are not fleet standard but will block much of the particulate contamination. Please inform Comms that we are safe, relatively speaking."

T'See donned the mask when you handed it to her. "Take charge of power modules six through eight; they have not been fully tested with this load."

Imagine running a John Deere tractor in a NASCAR championship.

Power module six failed early, but Andrhonal was able to bring it back on line within minutes. However, the load spike took module seven off line as well. Still, within fifteen minutes, Andrhonal was able to get all three modules back into full operations. At Warp One, ship systems were starting to stabilize.

"Can you work tandem on warp bubble tuning?" T'See asked. "If so, join me."

And roll Eng. :)

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Leitz »

Bridge

"Sir, Engineering reports atmosphere within acceptable operating limits. Personnel have donned protective gear,"
ENS Salazar reported.

Long term "feel" of a ship confirmed that the Hussy was at Warp One and had more to give.

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by The Bindoner »

Fearghal, threading his way through the boulder-field on impulse, keeeps an eye on the readouts from the Warp Drive. As soon as he sees the drive online he becomes more alert, fidgeting slightly as he waits for Engineering to report clean air and Therin to give permission to use it.

"LT Runyon, please engage at Warp One."

Immediately the word “engage” is uttered the little finger of Fearghal’s right hand extends and “presses the button” on the console to enact the eagerly anticipated order.

The Hussy springs forward as though someone has goosed her, and Lt Runyon grins as he announces Warp One, Commander.

At it’s new speed the ship passes rapidly through the already plotted course through the predicted obstacles.

Warp 1.1... 1.2... 1.3... 1.4. Stable.

Ensign Mercier, I’m going to give her a tap on the haunches, see what the moves on this filly are like. I think there’s legs on her yet. If you could give me sight on the fences ahead as fast as you see them, I’d be grateful indeed.

With his right hand Fearghal steers his course between and around the variously tumbling hunks of rock, following a course that relies on sometimes radical and sudden changes in heading and attitude as he slips past one hazard, pivots to dodge the next and slews around again to set up the next sequence of manoeuvres. With his left he is running projections on the course of those asteroids ahead as compared to his current and likely future speeds, the models displayed in a small overlay window. All the while he is slowly but steadily increasing Warp Speed, testing the drive’s capabilities.

He seems completely absorbed in the work of plotting the course and steering it, but the huge grin fixed on his face betrays his enjoyment.

As the Hussy hurtles between points, swiftly changing direction and attitude, never holding the same bearing for more than a minute, Fearghal reports: 1.5... 1.6... So, a little faster than the form book, indeed.

A quick glance at the performance indicators…

1.7... Ah, come on girl… will ya… Ach. 1.76 Commander. I don’t think I’ll get any more without putting the whip to her, and I’d hate to do that for a jolly little hack through the neighbourhood like today’s jaunt.

I’d say our Black Gang have done fine work down there, that’s more than warp 2 more than I was told I’d ever get.

Lt Runyon keeps the ship at warp 1.76, and keeps up the pressure on his sensor op for more data, as he arcs, rolls, switches and turns through the cloud and the rocky navigational hazards within it. It seems to those watching the viewscreens that asteroids suddenly appear, hurtle toward the screen, and equally suddenly veer away and disappear, only to be replaced by other, equally rapidly moving threats that are just as precipitously avoided.

Eventually he reports:

We’ll be clear in a moment, Commander, and I’ve a choice. Orders were to flyby and scan, I believe, before engaging targets. I can bring us out right beside the bird, to pass by all chummy and count feathers, if you want. I’ll need to pull some tight turns to do that though, because, in my enthusiasm, I’ve rather overreached our target. To be frank, on the course I’m on we’ll be more than a little ahead. Now, if you’d care to call that our “flyby”, we could scan from there – couldn’t we, Mr Mercier? - and be on our way.

What would you prefer, Commander?
Last edited by The Bindoner on Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by gurusql »

Thelin

The Lt Commander takes in the information from the bridge crew and replies
"My interpretation of the rules was that we need to close within weapons range and scan and then flyby. Since you over shot by a little Lt. please bring us to within weapons range of the USS Eagle so that Ensign Mercier can complete a short range scan.

Ensign Henri, please prepare phaser banks zeta through theta at 10% normal firepower
Ensign Mercier, please prepare for your scan when we are within weapons range and give me a course and heading for our first target in the asteroid field."

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by The Bindoner »

Oh, I don't need to overshoot, I just can. Will I pull a hard-to-port and run in alongside, or shall we pop out ahead and run head-on toward, really ruffle their feathers?

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#29 Post by cybersavant »

Leitz wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:03 pm Engineering

LT T'See's hands flew over the warp console as her eyes remained fixed on the readouts. Alarms flashed over most of the panel. "The fumes will cause short term issues with your human physiology. If you insist on remaining, then procure filter masks for both of us, panel E-17. They are not fleet standard but will block much of the particulate contamination. Please inform Comms that we are safe, relatively speaking."

And roll Eng. :)

Lt Jg Andrhonal B'Aarr "Aye, sir. My physiology can take this just fine with a filter, i'm not human."
gaming since 1980

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by gurusql »

Thelin

"While shield grazing my seem like fun that is not called for in this situation. Along side please."

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Leitz »

gurusql wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:47 pm Ensign Henri, please prepare phaser banks zeta through theta at 10% normal firepower
Ensign Mercier, please prepare for your scan when we are within weapons range and give me a course and heading for our first target in the asteroid field."
"Phaser banks zeta, eta, and theta armed at 10% power. Targeting on-line," ENS Henri said. She seemed to be having fun.

Unfortunately, Mercier was well over tasked. It took too long for him to respond, and even then his 'yes sir' was shakey. ENS Payen leaned close, whispered, and then began to work the console as well. After half a minute, Mercier nodded to Thelin. "Sorry sir, course laid out and sent to helm. Targeting data to Operations, scanners ready."

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Leitz »

Engineering
cybersavant wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:27 am Lt Jg Andrhonal B'Aarr"Aye, sir. My physiology can take this just fine with a filter, i'm not human."
"My apologies, I hadn't noticed," T'See said. She kept working at a furious pace, and in short order Andrhonal was doing the same with the power generation systems. The odor of burnt conduit built slowly, but you kept the actual flames to a minimum.

The engines kept turning, despite helm's sharp maneuvers and high speed. Andrhonal wasn't able to see the warp console but his estimation of the engine throughput and efficiency said the adjustments were a little better than expected. The section was still sealed off; he and T'See were the only ones left.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Leitz »

Bridge

Mercier regained his composure; but then gurgled. "Sir, sensors..."

It took a minute for him to finish. "... difficulties tracking our speed adjustments. We've found the Eagle, but there's another ship. Larger... Constitution class. Plotting now."

Moments later, "Sir, they are moving to engage."

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by gurusql »

Thelin

"Ensign Salazar, please open a hailing frequency with the Constitution class ship." pausing a waiting for the normal "Frequency open", then Thelin says, "This is Lt Commander Ch'tihlot of the Inceku Engabonakali, please state your intentions."

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Leitz »

Engineering

If the engines had been kept to Fleet standards, Andrhonal would have breezed through the tasks given. As it was, silver adhesive cloth covered everything, and fiber twine held several conduits in place. He even found a small cluster of gum like substance being used as a thread sealant. He had seen such measures on centuries old farm equipment, but it was out of place in an operational Engineering section.

Right about the time T'See called out that they were at Warp One Point Zero One, Andrhonal caught the rhythm of the issues and was able to anticipate two system failures, and bypass them, before the warp engine had to deal with the transient surge. Even the atmosphere recirculation units engaged more, the smell of burnt whatever slowly decreased

Moving to assist with the warp bubble tuning, Andrhonal saw that their speed was increasing.

T'See stayed focused on the tuning. "Safety margins are in play, so we stay two points out of red unless otherwise directed. Your realignment pushed a significantly higher amount of energy through the core. I will ensure the Commodore is aware of your work. If you have any other expertise to share, now would be a good time. I do not think the engines have performed this heavily for at least three decades."

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#36 Post by cybersavant »

Lt Jg Andrhonal B'Aarr
"Why is this ship in service?" Andrhonal walked over to a panel and checks some calculations. "We'll have to jury rig until we have time to replace key components." The Betelgeusian throws himself into his work. "Sir, can we replicate parts or is there a salvage supply somewhere?" A holographic diagram pops up from the panel, illustrating a bypass that should last through warp three for a day, give or take a few hours.

gaming since 1980

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Leitz »

Bridge

Mercier plotted the three ships, and added four off-color sections where wisps of the cloud have separated from the main body.

"This is Commander Bartleby, USS Farragut. We thought you might be playing games. You're no match for us; stand down and move aside."

Thelin roll Leader, and Fleet Tactics.

Thelin would know that a Commander in the chair is probably the First, or Second Officer.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by gurusql »

Lt Commander Thelin Ch'tihlot leans forward, and his antenna do the same and he replies in a calm voice “Commander Bartleby - Insufficient facts always invite danger. Our records show that the USS Farragut first mission was to deliver supplies for the research team on the planet four days ago, and then was scheduled to head out of the system to continue your shakedown cruise. What are you doing in the system and where is your captain? What game do you think we are playing? I need you to remember your training and stand down you someone gets hurt.” And then he motions to Ensign Salazar the symbol to “mute”.

Ensign Mercier still want that sensor lock when we get close enough to the USS Eagle - and yes I said Eagle.

Leadership Skill [_2d6+1]=(3+5)=8+1=9
Fleet Tactics Skill [_2d6+2]=(1+5)=6+2=8
Going for the +1

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by Leitz »

Leader Thelin can tell Bartleby got caught unawares and is trying to recover. Having experienced the bridge crew and chief engineer, Thelin is certain he, Runyon, T'See, and Andrhonal are probably the only Fleet trained crew actively working for success. LTCMDR Long and ENS Payen are ready to escape the Hussy and get back to their Fleet careers.
Thelin has seen Runyon's piloting skill; if difficult maneuvers are called for Runyon will give Thelin a +1 to the Tactics roll. Engineering, although down-staffed (Thelin is unaware of this) will also give a +1 if speed or high energy burn is required. The two modifiers are cumulative, if the plan calls for both. The rest of the bridge crew are at a standard +1 for skill, unless Thelin provides further motivation.

Tactics Mentally lay out a map where the Eagle was leaving the system, and the Farragut was playing a "defender" role on the expectation that the Hussy would do its usual "battle drill" scenario. You're pretty sure that the Commodore's reputation precedes him, and it's more a joke in Star Fleet than a respect of rank. The Farragut is far rear, perfectly placed to defend the Eagle if the Hussy had taken its expected 6-8 hours to traverse the cloud. It is in a terrible position to defend given the short time it actually took you to get here. The cloud wisps that Mercier reported could provide you a screen, if you choose to continue with your drill. It would be a contested Tactics roll between Thelin and Bartleby.

If Thelin chooses to continue the scenario, please provide a description that includes which sections need to perform actions. The plan can be as short or long as you wish.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by gurusql »

Thelin

"Let us see if that speech slows down the reaction of Commander Bartleby.

Ensign Salazar please let me know if he responds and please let Engineering know that if they have anything extra we may be calling for it.
Lt Runyon we have cover in those mist fragments. When Ensign Mercier let's you know you will be rolling and changing the direct line course while in the clouds.
Ensign Mercier while we are getting past the Farragut and we are in the cloud, I want Lt Runyon to know when you can no longer scan the Farragut with the assumption that it will be the same for them and we are going to get that scan of the Eagle."

Fleet Tactics Skill [_2d6+3]=(4+6)=10+3=13

Return to “Imperial Gambit [Traveller/Star Trek]”