CHAPTER 12b: The Fortress of the Plain

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: CHAPTER 12b: The Fortress of the Plain

#221 Post by greyarea »

Denslow "knocks" on the edifice with his axe, trying to ascertain if it is hollow.
Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#222 Post by Norjax »

Fortress Exterior 347D/81 (Dawn)

While the others investigate the stone blocks, Kurot continues with his self-repair. (+6 hp)

After collecting a sack of the ash, Podo tastes a sample with his tongue. The tingling sensation of concentrated nourishment excites the fungoid. Perhaps he should acquire more of the substance if more can be harvested? He then ponders if the actions of the humanoids were scheduled or ritual?

OOC: A small sack in volume of this ash will provide a week’s rations for a plantient.

Max makes his attempt to identify the heavily worn markings in the stone’s surface, but they are aged beyond the point of deciphering.

Denslow repeatedly strikes the side of the block with his axe. A solid >THUD, THUD, THUD< of a report indicates it is monolithic.

Action Details:
Characters:

Monsters:

Actions?

Hit Points [Luck Point Recovery - 348D]:

Denslow – 38/42 [11/16]
Silvestri – 39/60 [10/14]
Kurot – 44/50 [4/15]
Max – 22/28 [14/15]
Anton – 36/43 [7/11]
Saiph – 19/25 [1/11] Glowburned STR 6/AGL 9/STA 7
Podo – 39/63 [4/14]
Urlando – 47/75 [17/17]
GrapeApe
Guide
Guide

#223 Post by GrapeApe »

Podo

Not having any other use for them currently, Podo collects more of the uncolored ash into his other two sacks. He digs his hand into the earth to try to determine if the ash is coming from the ground or being otherwise distributed by these large blocks as he thinks to himself.

"Perhaps these bricks act in a similar way to the small wind vents in his underground colony, shootting spores out and into the air to fertilize the ground. Or perhaps these red-robes use this ash as substance as well, maybe there is more plant to them than I originally thought... No, definitely not."
Last edited by GrapeApe on Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#224 Post by shaidar »

Silvestri

Hearing the musings of his companions, the Psion ponders aloud: "Could this somehow be a mechanism for fertilising the ground using the bodies of their dead soldiers? But I'm not sure why Motter would want to do that, or how the tube relates."
greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#225 Post by greyarea »

Denslow refills his sacks so as to have rations.
doppelganger
Guide
Guide

#226 Post by doppelganger »

Urlando will walk about and try to discern if there is any pattern or reason to the placement of the mysterious blocks. Are the faces of the blocks aligned in the same direction? Are they spaced apart with some regularity?

He then turns to Podo. You're right.. maybe we should hide and wait for them.
Anton_E_Gregor
Guide
Guide

#227 Post by Anton_E_Gregor »

Anton addresses the party, his voice echoing in their minds; If we hide behind these blocks maybe we can take them by surprise when they return?
Are we sure they come here every night?:
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#228 Post by shaidar »

Saiph goes to the spot that Podo has indicated the figures stood and looks for anything different about any of the blocks in the area, something that might indicate it has been disturbed. He'll also look on the floor for any footprints or similar.

I don't know if his observation skill is any good here, but I'll roll it to save time anyway
Observation: [1d20+1]=15+1=16
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#229 Post by shaidar »

Silvestri walks the length of the curved path, looking or anything that stands out.
Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#230 Post by Norjax »

Fortress Exterior 347D/81 (Mid-Morning)

Podo and Denslow each collect their share of ash from the deposit on the ground. The ash that remains is mixed with too much sand and gravel to be of use.

OOC: Please keep track of your character’s running inventory HERE.

Digging into the earth with his massive hand, Podo determines that the ash is a surface deposit and not something migrating up from below. He searches for any sign the blocks are the source of the deposits and finds nothing to indicate such.

Urlando and Silvestri survey the placement of the stone objects for alignment and regularity. Although apparently irregularly placed, the lengths are all aligned along an axis perpendicular to the side of the fortress.

The mystery of the ash and its relation to the humanoids escapes your collective reasoning. After examining for footprints, Saiph concludes that multiple groups of bipedal humanoids have visited this site over a period. He is unable to determine the frequency.

The foreboding structure looms above you and the increasing height of the sun exposes your bodies to its warm rays and revealing illumination.

OOC: How long are you waiting to see if any fortress occupants return?

Action Details:
Characters:

Monsters:

Actions?

Hit Points [Luck Point Recovery - 348D]:

Denslow – 38/42 [11/16]
Silvestri – 39/60 [10/14]
Kurot – 44/50 [4/15]
Max – 22/28 [14/15]
Anton – 36/43 [7/11]
Saiph – 19/25 [1/11] Glowburned STR 6/AGL 9/STA 7
Podo – 39/63 [4/14]
Urlando – 47/75 [17/17]
GrapeApe
Guide
Guide

#231 Post by GrapeApe »

Podo

OOC: I would suggest maybe we explore the wall where they exited before we wait for them to come back. I like the idea of hiding behind these bricks but then if the bricks activate somehow we might get caught in it's function. Depending on the landscape maybe we could wait until they exit and are engaged in their ritual and then attack while they are occupied?
Anton_E_Gregor
Guide
Guide

#232 Post by Anton_E_Gregor »

I don't think we should get closer to the tower, it increases our chances of being detected for certain and we'd absolutely lose any chance of surprise.
If we are going to ambush them I think we should do it here or find a better place.
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#233 Post by shaidar »

Silvestri

"We do not know if they will return tonight. However, I fear that Motter will send warriors and others to repair the tower. The longer we stay, the more likely we will get captured again. I'm not sure if we will be lucky enough to escape next time."
greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#234 Post by greyarea »

Denslow agrees with Silvestri. Yes, if we get captured again it could be bad. I think this ash, while delicious, is the result of others who were captured but no longer needed by the machine-things. We should high-branch it out of here, if we care of our lives.
greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#235 Post by greyarea »

Max says, We should wait by these things and spring an ambush. I see no evidence that they move and we can hide behind them. And I'm feeling better now and maybe my connection to the great SIs in the sky will be better too. No, these creatures are up to something, and I want to find out what that is. We rescued Urlando here from those metal monstrosities, and maybe we could do more good too.
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#236 Post by Zhym »

Kurot listens quietly to the debate over whether to keep investigating the tower or leave. "I, too, am curious about this tower," he finally says, "but we are in no condition to press forward or survive an ambush. And we lack a clear place of safety to rest and recover. Unless we can find some evidence that we put a significant dent in the tower's defenses, I must agree with those calling for us to leave."
GrapeApe
Guide
Guide

#237 Post by GrapeApe »

Podo

Podo begins wringing his large hands together, unsure of which side of the fence he should fall on.

"It's true we are in no shape to face another battle with the red-robes but we did cause some type of damage or interruption to the function of the tower. If we wait and rest in cover until they exit again, then we might take the ritualistic group by surprise and land a killing blow to the tower. Perhaps collecting their robes and entering where they exit for their ritual in disguise, then going just far enough to attempt one more disruption to finally put an end to this place of nightmares could save countless lives behind us. If we do decide to leave, I think we should commit to leave and not return. Motter will surely repair and rebuild what damage has been done. Once a breach occurs, a smart leader always fortifies doubly against a second incursion from the same failing.

Whatever is decided, I go with my new found companions"
, reaching over to grasp Silvestri on the shoulder in friendship and meet the eyes of all the others.
Last edited by GrapeApe on Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
doppelganger
Guide
Guide

#238 Post by doppelganger »

Urlando

Having been quiet through much of the debate, Urlando pipes up, speaking with one head.

I think Podo and Max are right. This is a good place to ambush these metal men. But I agree, we act as one pack. The pack is stronger than the rat, as we say.

He turns to Podo:

You saw four of them come out? We can take four, if we surprise them.
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#239 Post by shaidar »

Saiph

"The last fight still taxes me. If we stay to fight we won't be able to reply on my destructive power to make us a hole. As already suggested, we will have to find other means to get in or out."
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#240 Post by shaidar »

Silvestri smiles at the mushroom man

"It is true, that if we could get inside I think I understood the control mechanisms enough to create enough damage to put it out of use for a long time. It all depends on how long it takes for any reinforcements to arrive. Can we afford to wait until sunset? Could a small group approach and see if they can make an opening like Saiph said he saw the machine-men make."

Return to “Archive”