Chapter 04: Torpor and tremendum

Nordbo
Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Chapter 04: Torpor and tremendum

#1 Post by Nordbo »

Korin and Tiny step out into a larger, at least 25x25' chamber which is softly illuminated. The floor is covered with rugs - some large soft cushions lie arranged to the left, from which direction the sound of water can also be heard.
Some item of furniture stands placed against the opposite ('eastern') wall, and it looks like there might be more doors along some of the walls. Infravision reveals no living entities, but the cushions indicate being a little warmer than the rest of the room.

Are either of you carrying a torch ?

Back in the smaller room, Richard remains slumped on the floor, quite shaken by Thorelf's harsh words. "B-b-b-but....b-b-ut...?"

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: Chapter 04: Torpor and tremendum

#2 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Korin is not carrying a torch any more I think his was burned up a while back, I could be wrong.

Korin draws the sword he got earlier and starts poking at the cushions with it. lightly not enough to stab through them entirely, just enough that someone on the other side of the cushion might get a little scratch.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Gebex
Guide
Guide

#3 Post by Gebex »

Eaton

I have 3 torches.

Lights a torch.

This place is filled with hidden doors. Quite annoying.But I see that the gods are testing me.

Starts to examine the walls for hidden doors.

[1d20]=2

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Rex »

Tiny

No torch.

Tiny searches around the room.

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by sastaz »

Thorelf steps in after the others have cleared the opening. He is carrying a torch.

He looks around, puzzled.

Richard, is this somewhere you've been before, with her? Because this looks like a brothel. Not that I would know of course."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Rex »

Tiny

"They make soup here, really. It doesn't look it to me."

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#7 Post by Nordbo »

You all step out into the larger room, which turns out to extend 'northwise' up into a pool area, into which a small waterfall pours (the falling water seems to shimmer in many colours). The full north-south length of the area (room + pool) is about 50-60', and 25' wide, with a 20' high ceiling.
The cushions Korin pokes lie arranged by the pool edge; they look very extravagant and luxurious - a cosy lounging poolside spot for someone with refined (or decadent) tastes. Korin finds no living thing among them. Scattered next to the cushions lie some smoking paraphernalia: a waterpipe, crumpled sachets, a small box etc.

Against the 'eastern' wall, the item of furniture turns out to be a wooden chest, on top of which stands a figure.

In clear sight, Eaton finds one door 'north' (open) and two (closed) doors 'south' of the door on the 'western' wall you all just came out of. On the 'southern' wall of this furnished chamber, near to the 'eastern' corner, is another door (closed).

Moments later, Richard stumbles into the room. If he was startled, he is now totally surprised and perplexed. He casts wild eyes around the room, then yelps "Krooda! My love! Where are you!" and dashes over to the soft cushions, throws them aside as if to look for something (one of them falls into the pool). Then looks wildly at the rest of you, gasping frantically while pointing to the cushions "It's here! She's here! I was here! This is the place! But where is she ?" He glances around manically, then over the edge of the pool, peering down into the water. "Kroodaaa-a-a..:" his voice peters out in a pathetic wimper.

GreyWolfVT

#8 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Korin shaking his head at Richard "Outta his wits, poor lad. Tiny yah mind slappin some sense inta him?"
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Rex »

Tiny

"Hey, you need to calm down and smarten up or I am going to have to slap you until you do!"

Tiny will examine the figure.

GreyWolfVT

#10 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Korin curious about the figure examines it with Tiny.

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by sastaz »

Map update in progress

is this sketch about right? the room is a little smaller than described to fit the map, but hey poetic maps, right? :) There's the pool with cushions to the NE ish and the chest/statue to the east
Attachments
CCDC7A7B-3B09-4243-A6EE-5417110D79DB.jpeg
CCDC7A7B-3B09-4243-A6EE-5417110D79DB.jpeg (621.96 KiB) Viewed 648 times

Gebex
Guide
Guide

#12 Post by Gebex »

Eaton

Tries to find some valuables in the room since he thinks where there is luxury there must be good stuff.

This is some compensation for my fine weapon they took from me.

The person who was in here probably took the north open door. Let’s go after him.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Rex »

Tiny

"Why the north one?"

Gebex
Guide
Guide

#14 Post by Gebex »

Eaton

The theory of usage of the north door, is based on the assumption that when someone flees though a door, in haste, it is likely that the person will not waste time on closing the door.

Tiny, do you have a better theory?

Continues to look for valuables.

GreyWolfVT

#15 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Korin "How bout cause the north door is tha one that is open? Makes sense they went out that one when they saw an heard us."

Gebex
Guide
Guide

#16 Post by Gebex »

Eaton

That’s kind of what I just did said.

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by sastaz »

While the other ones are arguing or busy searching, Thorelf has a look through the norhtern door on the western wall, expecting to find another smaller room with bunk bed and wash bin, like the one they came through. He tries to be ready if there, unlikely but still, should be someone in there.

"I'm telling you, he will draw his favourite witch woman here sooner or later with all that noice making. Richard, you must stay silent, do you understand that?!"

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Rex »

Tiny

Tiny looks through the open north door.

GreyWolfVT

#19 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Gebex wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:03 pm Eaton

That’s kind of what I just did said.
Korin "Yup I'm just agreein wit yah Eaton."

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#20 Post by Nordbo »

Map comment: the pool edge is level with the 'northernmost' of the 4 doors on the 'western' wall; the pool area then continues in a half-circular-ish area ca. 20' further 'north'. So: main room length 30' + pool half-circle 20' radius. There seems to be a ledge going around the upper part of the pool area wall.

Where in the room does

Eaton

look for valuables ?

Tiny

goes over to pick up the figure on the chest. He and Korin discover it is a small statuette of a magic-user holding what looks like a crystal ball in his right hand - but a milky one.

Eaton's

hunch seems to be correct - when

Thorelf

peers into the open 'northernmost' of the 4 doors on the 'western' wall, it does indeed look like someone ran through here in a hurry: a small chest and a pot have been knocked over. The room is very similar to its neigbouring room: same size, with a bunk & washstand. The dirty blanket on the bunk was also dragged down on the floor by the 'escapee' running through. The door is open at the other end leading out to the 'table and chairs' room.

Richard

twitches scaredly under Tiny's threats and Thorelf's barking, then just cowers at the pool edge, casting ashamed glances back at the group. Trying to be helpful, he fishes the cushion out of the water and feebly tries to wring it. "I, just, just-t-t..." He seems to steady himself then picks up a crumpled sachet and takes a deeeeeep sniff.
Last edited by Nordbo on Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Oath of the Bolted Tomb (1e)”