The Time and The Place

The Bindoner
Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: The Time and The Place

#741 Post by Thumper »

Tiv's verbal attempt to reassure the Aslan's of Oghmite control of the situation is, um, a failure! Hopefully, actions speak louder than words!

Pursuade check

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#742 Post by The Bindoner »

Thumper wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:06 pm Tiv's verbal attempt to reassure the Aslan's of Oghmite control of the situation is, um, a failure! Hopefully, actions speak louder than words!

Pursuade check
+2 for Int =7

Still a fail, but a bare fail, and at least it wasn't a natural 2 at base.

His patter doesn't translate/connect, but at least things don't get any worse (the 5 would have shifted Reaction by -1 :? )

Gorethirster
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#743 Post by Gorethirster »

Remington, astride (aboard?) Thundercat, moves with the herd of Oghmen bigwigs to protect/corral Small Birds and her immediate guards. He figures it's expected of him, and a giant robotic cat will likely dissuade anyone from getting too rowdy (anyone who's not supposed to anyway).

As his mount moves beneath him, Remington smiles to Small Birds and says "The gods move the masses, but their chosen warriors remain steadfast. Loki plays us a prank, and we will offer him one ourselves in time. All is well."

That's a persuade check that we have things under control. The book says you can apply int or soc, so we're definitely going with int.

[2d6+2]=4+2=6

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#744 Post by Thumper »

Tiv also points and says to Rubati:

Tell your clansmen to settle down and move over there…

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#745 Post by The Bindoner »

Erlinr and Hróarr brandish their stun-sticks at the milling slaves, and Hróarr cracks his whip. They both intend only to cow the herd with a display, but Imgua stumbles into Erlingr’s cattle-prod. With a roar, he recoils in pain and collides with another man, knocking him into the path of the shock-whip. Their cries increase the terror of the mass of captives, who press together, fighting each other to get to the rear of the crowd.

Tiv finds that the translation software only has Trade Marduk and the Skeaping dialect, which the majority of the slaves are unable to understand.

Kar’s words may be mere noises to most of the slaves, but his tone of voice and aura of command are plain enough. The fighting stops and the crowd begins to calm, cowed by Kar.

Rubati has been staring with wide eyes at the Aslan, oblivious to the commotion outside the airlock, but Tiv’s direct order catches her attention. She gathers herself, sets her platter down on a desk, and walks out between the Oghmen officers and the mob of slaves.

She begins a surprisingly deep and resonant musical drone while swaying sinuously in place, slowly raising her arms as they undulate.

The Marduk captives, from all communities, fix their attention entirely on her. The Aslan, too, watch with interest.

Rubati stops throat-singing, and stands motionless for a moment, before lowering her arms and speaking:

seraferaz bashad aa merdem merdewk ma der maan setareguan aasetadh aam. keramet khewd ra bh anha neshan dham nh ters khewd ra. shema manend ak desth maha kewechek 'emel ma kenad keh az 'elef haa herz penaheguah shema bh ab haa azad ranedh shedh w bh aan terf w an terf ma rewad, jaa t'ejeb naset keh ba shema bh 'enewan t'emh reftar ma shewd. khewd ra kenetrel kenad w arezsh ferzendan sabatewm ra neshan dhad.

O people of Marduk, We stand among the stars. Show them our dignity, not our fear. You act like a small bunch of fish being driven from the weeds of your sanctuary into open water and going this way and that, no wonder you are treated as bait. Control yourself and show the value of the children of Sabitum.

The Skeaping folk are suitably shamed, and stand straight. Rubati directs them to the side, where Tiv pointed, and they start to move the others, using Trade Marduk, physical direction and example. Soon the slaves are standing in a well-ordered group on the opposite side of the room to the servers.

Rubati walks over to stand between Remington and Tiv, stately and graceful. Facing Tiv, but with her gaze passing over his shoulder to the Aslan beyond, she smiles and asks:

aaa cheaz dagura az men ma khewahad?

Do you want anything else from me?

part 1
Last edited by The Bindoner on Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#746 Post by Thumper »

Tiv gives Rubati a very appraising look and a smile

Well freaking done, Rubati. Just stand ready to lead them once again. You have saved them from suffering, great job!

Glancing past her to Remington, he says in a low tone:

Remington May desire more from you by days end… as he grins wryly

Rubati, your job will be to direct your clansmen and to keep them calm at all times so as not to get them involved with or provoking any activities which might bring them harm. Understand? Is that ok with you Skippare Tollerson?
Last edited by Thumper on Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:19 am, edited 3 times in total.

hardrocks
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#747 Post by hardrocks »

Kar, seeing the slaves thoroughly, effectivly and repeatedly subdued and seeking to shrug off the slight distubance as "one of those jittery slave things"

He turns to the Small Birds and the Aslan,

Shall we continue with the merchandise appraisal Small Birds, as you can see some are spirited and lively, but easily turned to ones will.

Looking nochalontly around,

Now where's Eno with the refreshments? Ah the she is!

With a slight bow, a gesture with his hand and a smile Kar asks for Small Birds to lead on. Assuming that the crew and slaves will then follow after.

After you, My Lady

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#748 Post by The Bindoner »

The Aslan males maintain an alert but purely defensive posture while the slaves are wrangled, subtly restrained by Small Birds. Way-walker seems to be the most agitated, emitting a low rumble and with his tail more active.

Both way-walker and Small Birds speak via comm-dot, apparently to different interlocutors.

Way-Walker:

These dogs are very unruly, but no threat. I will not need a gun.

The Oghmen have control.

No, it was not treachery, it was incompetence.

Small Birds:

No, Lady, I think this is merely a commotion among new captives.

Yes, they have been controlled quite easily… No, I do not think there is any real danger from them.

Arnwulf reports that the Aslan in the hangar are agitated. Her Words and the less-armoured male are attentively watching something on their tablet and HUD respectively, while talking over their comm. The armoured male leaves the ship and lopes through the hangar and its airlock (which starts cycling before he reaches it) toward the reception area. He is given a halt order in the main corridor, and retraces his steps. The pair in the hangar are more settled now, but engaged in a quiet, respectful disagreement.

With the slaves under control, the Aslan relax (somewhat).

Small Birds singing sympathises with Kar:

An unfortunate incident, but these are wild humans, what is one to expect?

The refreshments your Eno brings will be most welcome, I am sure.

Way-Walker returns to his desk, still carrying his gun, and, after checking the cameras, opens the airlock, admitting Raven, her bodyguard, Leon and the remaining “slaves”. Holding his gun pointed floor-wards, but ready, he watches them carefully

Claws-Sky also keeps his sidearm in hand (it looks like an energy weapon), but stays at Small Bird’s side.

Small Birds nods to Way-Walker, who opens the inner door leading to the hangar. He seals the airlock as soon as it is empty, then stays at the desk, watching the humans carefully. He is plainly suspicious.

With Claws-Sky beside her Small Birds Singing leads the way into the complex.

At the hangar airlock Small Birds pauses for the security system to identify her before it opens.

This airlock is smaller, and the Aslan larger. Capacity is 6 (two of whom are Aslan) in the first cycle, then 6 to 12 in each subsequent cycle. Since the airlock is not pumping atmosphere, the cycle is quite efficient. (Remington’s mount counts as two people)

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#749 Post by Thumper »

Tiv reassures Small Birds Singing that these types of commotions are not uncommon with newly captured slaves.

After all, they are overstimulated by all that is new to them. Besides, many of them have been only just awoken from cold storage and are even more anxious. They will acclimate. He will direct Rubati to join the next group and lead slaves through the airlock.

Once through the airlock, Tiv directs those in the warband who came through to contain the soon-to-emerge slaves with the next cycle of the airlock and asks Kar and his officers to oversee that effort. When all are through, parade them to behind me near the pavilion.

Tiv steps before Her Words in her pavilion, draws his cutlass in Oghmite salute to Her Words Calm Prey.

"As promised, I Technical Commander Tivali Thingvallir, speaker for Jarl Hallstein, trade emissary of clan Aesgirr present to you the first Oghmen raider crew to arrive at Blackrock." He sheaths his cutlass with a practiced flourish. He opens his hand in a full hand point and partially turns to see the Oghman officers...

"It is my pleasure to introduce the Skippare of the ship Cunning Serpent, Kar Tollerson, Leon the Chief Gunner, and Sigborn the Priest. Raid Leader Raven Sorrow will join us along with the Sinner slaves. Raid Leader Sorrow and Skippare Tollerson are prepared to demonstrate examples of Sinner slave stock available within our current hunting grounds. When assembled, if you will be so kind as to show us which amongst the stock you are looking for, I'm certain I can arrange an agreement that is acceptable to my Jarl.

I also recognize how far you have journeyed to bargain with us. We
gesturing to Kar and officers thought it fitting to present a token in the form of fresh meats, fish, and cheese. Where may Skippare Tollerson's stewards set up the refreshments while we await Raid Leader Sorrow?

Tiv scans the room to verify the position of the ship repair robot and the security disk. He's expecting the repair bot to be tinkering with the Pouncer's external life support and the disk to be perched or hovering near the airlock.

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#750 Post by The Bindoner »

Her Words remains seated as the Oghmen arrive. The armoured male looms behind and beside her, a truly massive figure. The more lightly armoured male stands between her and her visitors, on the other side.

When Tiv produces his blade, both males become highly alert, and poised to respond, but wait to determine his intent. They relax when he speaks, but not completely.

Her Words stands at Tiv’s salute and walks to greet him, followed by the armoured male.

You, and your wares, are most welcome, Commander Thingvallir. As are your generous gifts. Savitri will show your servants where to set them.

The human woman steps forward to direct Eno’s party.

Her Words switches attention to Kar: Captain Tollerson, you show proficiency in handling livestock, I am sure I will learn much from your display.

While Her Words talks, the more lightly armoured male growls at Claws-Sky: Your scanner. You were distracted before. Use it now.

Chastened, but resentful, Claws-Sky produces his “wand” and passes it over the visitors, reporting the weapons as he detects them, with several repetitions of the phrase “as you can see”.

Her Words leads Tiv and Kar into the pavilion, indicates seats (at low wooden backless chairs), and offers them either tea or wine (It is from a human world, and I am assured it is of an excellent quality).

The other groups cycle through the lock, and are “wanded” by Claws Sky as Orlakei Ftyuhlou (“Siezes Fortune”) inspects them.

The slaves are directed forward, into the empty space in front of the ship, along with their guards. Important Oghmen and their personal retinue are allowed to enter the pavilion.
Last edited by The Bindoner on Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#751 Post by Thumper »

As they walk into the pavilion, Tiv says:

Her Words Calm Prey, it is a pleasure to discuss business again. But business should wait for our Raid Leader, Raven Sorrow. Raid Leaders are our mission commanders, and therefore, all the warriors of Cunning Serpent are hers. Kar and Raven jointly own the take. This is the way.

Raid Leader Sorrow would normally have been at the head of the parade alongside myself and Kar. But for the need to secure the stock through multiple passages, she has assumed the trailing position. I should ask you to meet her upon her arrival and after securing of the last of the Sinner stock.

Other slaves I have borrowed from the two other arrived Aesgirr ships for demonstration purposes. My intent was to bring a sampling of our catch, but also focus on what I thought you might find interesting. Consolidate your inspection…

After her offer:
Tea please. and he takes the proffered seat.

Was Tiv able to see if the Repair Robot (Max) and the Security Disk (Rover) are in their expected positions?
Last edited by Thumper on Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#752 Post by The Bindoner »

Was Tiv able to see if the Repair Robot (Max) and the Security Disk (Rover) are in their expected positions?

Yes, they are.

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#753 Post by Tiglath »

Raven's voice penetrates the pavilion "Are they in here then? Þórs gnýreið - I'll brook no delay!"

Battle Hag's tip pierces one panel of the pavilion's circumference and then the razor sharp blade carves it into a door. As she moves through it Raven's voice announces "Raven Sorrow, chosen by Jarl Halsteinn Aesgirr, Raid Leader of his flagship The Cunning Serpent..." as she steps fully into the pavilion with her swagger set to the max she adds "...and favoured by the gods".

She raises her blade in salute to Her Words and then sheathes it with businesslike efficiency while approaching the "nobs" company while deliberately ignoring the Aslan soldiery "Her Words Calm Prey, greetings from a warrior welcomed to your hold with an air lock slammed shut in my face. Forgive my damage to your tent but when Oghman Raid Leaders are baulked they tend to make their way directly to where they must be. It seems your security people are overly nervous around human slaves? Not good. I am embarrassed that they delayed my meeting and salute to you".

As she advances to join the company she throws off her cloak, kicks a stool lengthwise and straddles it. Glancing at the help she states "Wine, pint". Turning back to Her Words she states "Well, here we are to talk business! Ask Tiv about hiring some Aesgirr warriors to handle your stock - they'll be less skittery with them".

She then leans back and casting about comments "We brought food - it should be... arranged... by now" and then absently "You're not going to see much of the display from in here!"

(OOC: Hoping to further leverage putting the Aslan on the societal backfoot(paw?) and also phase two of a shaping operation by Raven to neutralize both alpha male threats. And, yes, there's some "needle" going into their warriors because you have to prime the pan... ;)

Going for the (albeit comedic) style and majesty of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ea2-kt8ox4 with just a possible touch of Flashheart! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKfbSHW9uGA ;) )
Last edited by Tiglath on Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Player: Jonathan/Tiglath
Sigrun Volsung, 9B7886, Lt Commander, 3 terms, age 31
Gun Cbt 3 (Rifle 2, Pistol 1), Melee Cbt 1 (Axe), Pilot 1,
Gunnery 1, Vacc Suit 1, Zero G 1, Streetwise 1, Recon 1,
Electronics 0, Grav Vehicle 0
Enemy: Imperial Navy (Lunion) Ine Givar(?)

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#754 Post by Thumper »

Tiv looks from Raven to Her Words and, through a crooked grin, says softly but with his deep voice:

And here she is. Meet Raven.
Last edited by Thumper on Sat Oct 07, 2023 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gorethirster
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#755 Post by Gorethirster »

Remington, still astride the Thundercat, follows the brains of the operation into the pavilion. He makes no indication that it would be eminently logical of him to get off the robot cat before entering the pavilion, and as his standard gets caught in the frilly edging he does his best to channel Raven:

"Whatever Gods-forsaken cat decided they needed a tent inside a hangar should be forced to drag the thing around the ship behind them. Dignitaries or no, what sort of slaver owns a tent? It's a meat display, not a garden party."

While this isn't exactly directed at anyone in particular, it isn't voiced in such a tone that it wouldn't be heard by everyone. After he disentangles the staff, mangling the embroidery along the edge of the tent as he does so, he finally dismounts.

"Where I am, so are the Gods. You hasten overmuch to the meat and drink, and forget to supplicate those who provide it. We must not do business when the Gods are irate, lest ill fortune befall us all."

Without giving anyone a chance to interject, Remington launches into a rambling "prayer," supplicating the Gods to let the Aslan see reason, make good trades, and do nothing which would offend the honor of Oghma.

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#756 Post by Thumper »

Tiv bows his head and listens to Shaman Remington’s prayer…partially due to his devotion and partly to hide his face as he giggles to himself over the antics of both Shaman Many Names and the offspring of Erol Flynn and Rosanne Bar.

Edited!!
Last edited by Thumper on Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:13 am, edited 6 times in total.

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#757 Post by Tiglath »

Raven also dutifully bows her head in supplication. Unable to rotate her glare anywhere near close enough to Remington she instead joins this act of faith by muttering the repeated and heartfelt catechism "Neither the red chain nor the black chain in the tent".
Player: Jonathan/Tiglath
Sigrun Volsung, 9B7886, Lt Commander, 3 terms, age 31
Gun Cbt 3 (Rifle 2, Pistol 1), Melee Cbt 1 (Axe), Pilot 1,
Gunnery 1, Vacc Suit 1, Zero G 1, Streetwise 1, Recon 1,
Electronics 0, Grav Vehicle 0
Enemy: Imperial Navy (Lunion) Ine Givar(?)

hardrocks
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#758 Post by hardrocks »

Kar, whilst greeting and making what he assumes are all the right noises to Her Words, not for the first time in a very long and interesting day, nor, he suspects will be the last time, mentally facepalms.

Legion Lee
Tracker
Tracker

#759 Post by Legion Lee »

Leon follows Raven into the pavilion, he will not join her Kar or Tiv but with arms folded will stand near Remington and watch the proceedings, he will decline any offer of refreshment for the time being

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#760 Post by The Bindoner »

When Raven’s blade appears in the wall panel the two warrior males become instantly intensely focused on it. The heavily armoured warrior quickly moves in front of Her Words, holding his polearm in a guard position. The officer (Orlakei), being nearer, steps back, away from the humans, taking his polearm in a two-handed grip. He and Claws-Sky position themselves to protect Small Birds Singing.

When it becomes clear it is not an attack the weapons are lowered, the males remain very alert.

Orlakei is stalking over to confront Raven, with Small Birds at his side whispering rapidly, when Remington tears his way in and begins his performance. By the time it is over, Small Birds has calmed Orlakei. Her voice is pitched too quietly to overhear, but Orlakei occasionally responds with outbursts of “but the insult is plain”, “intolerable disrespect”, “then we should teach them manners” and, finally, “yes, yes, the mission.”

Her Words appears surprised, and annoyed, by the cutting open of her pavilion, but quickly hides it and regains her calm facade. She orders In your place, Htahroiyeea. For now. Adding, in a softer tone, Well done. He moves to stand by her left shoulder.

Her Words watches Remington with interest, before addressing Raven:

Our warriors, too, favour a direct approach. Training, and the guile of the hunter, however, have given them the ability to look for subtler paths. Such as an open door.

She gestures, and the woman Savitri produces a control unit, which she uses. The side of the pavilion that has been damaged, and the one facing the slaves gathered in the hangar, retract into the corner support pillars. The damaged section fails to smoothly retract, sticking an inch out, with the trailing material jammed at the bottom. Her words sighs, and Small Birds looks pained.

Her Words waves lazily at the open walls: Now you can see both your way and your wares.

Addressing the Oghmen in general: I was told you were unused to the way business is conducted outside your small world, but perhaps that is entirely true, for you have taken the trouble to produce a fine repast. Designed to appeal to our tastes. I recognise the respect shown. We should enjoy it, while it is fresh. Looking at Raven: Then, I will indulge your drive to prove the worth of what you bring here.

Savitri, helped by Eno and her servers, passes out the food and drink.

the editing has begun

Return to “Out of Oghma (MgT1)”