Barrow Mounds: Under the Vulture's Shadow.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Barrow Mounds: Under the Vulture's Shadow.

#1 Post by Spearmint »

May 10th 1066

Helix Village, Duchy of Aerik.

8.00am. Windy, light rain.
Light: Visibility good. Lantern (Rickford) Lantern (Duval).
Effects: none.

After a team breakfast, a hearty meal of ground porridge oats mixed with honey and fresh hot milk, (eaten standing up of course as is the Highland way) followed by 'sit down' bacon and eggs with bread and an ale. Two-Birds says 'grace' over the meal and prays a benediction over the journey. She has completed her devotions and is gifted with healing spells among her divine abilities.

You should remember druid Clive also gifting each surviving Crooked Yew member a potion of healing each (TB, Doug, Mori).

Arriving from the guild are the two torchbearers, Rickford and Duval. They will attend camp duties, secure any baggage and light your way. Neither is particularly forward with ideas or initiative but both seem able to serve capably and fight to defend the party. (see NPC profiles for image pics).

Having organised the trip, I will assume leadership to Moriartus though he is ably assisted by the charming and charmed, brogue Highland ranger Dougal.

Fydmar is new in town and eager to add his name to any cause. The dwarf has yet to experience the trauma's of the Barrow Moor, only hearing of it around ancestral forge-fire tales.

Cadeweed, halfling entrepreneur, gained a little gold and experience from the spider silk trek now heads into more unfamiliar territory hoping he can pick a lock or two along the way.

New recruit Marcel Gerard, a portly friar from the same mould as the unfortunate Friar John is the last to join the team.
Last edited by Spearmint on Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Barrow Mounds: Under the Vulture's Shadow.

#2 Post by Quonundrum »

Supplies and Logistics

Group Equipment - carried by the torchbearers
3 weeks standard rations
1 first aid kit
1 sledgehammer
1 pick
50' rope
5 wax candles
5 iron spikes
10' pole

Total mercenary/equipment cost
91gp, 19sp, 8cp

I highly advise each member to carry a first aid kit (25gp).
Last edited by Quonundrum on Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Quonundrum »

Moriartus

Moriartus lights a cigar he procures from a belt pouch and takes a long drag from it. In doing so, he appears to notice something in his satchel. The slender neck of a bottle is visible above the leather flap. He pulls the bottle out, apparently a local wine, sees that it's empty and sets it upon the table with a silent sigh and a slight shift of his shoulders.

Next to the bottle is a leather bound journal which he opens to a page containing a rough topographical map of Helix and the surrounding region. Moriartus taps an index finger on the area just south of the village where the barrow mounds meadow is located. He then traces a line directly west and indicates a spot about one mile from the meadow.

"There is a natural spring fed stream here and a grove of trees. An oasis ... if any could be found in the Moor. We will travel west by the forest trail and then due south to the oasis. From there, east to the meadow. Maybe we can find some untouched tumuli on the outskirts of the main cluster. Any questions?"

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by gurusql »

Quonundrum wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:19 pm I highly advise each member to carry a first aid kit (25gp).
"I would love to, but it is a little out of my current budget. The pay in mining giant spider silk was not great enough to afford that." jokes the halfling

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Quonundrum »

"I understand, Mr. Cadeweed. I will add a first aid kit to the group supply inventory. As I am reserving the canopic jars for Mr. Mazzah, I am comfortable with assuming the risk we may return without any treasure."

Edited supply list above.

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Karaunios »

Dougal

"All seems rate tae me, sir. I'm just gled we can be back intae the wilderness. A couple days in a town it's fane, I ken, but ten is tae much for me.

But I've got one question, sir.

I see ye're paying a lot for this equipment and mercenaries. Cannae we help at least a wee bit with the expenses? As far as I knoo we got the same sher af the tresuir from aur last forre."

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Quonundrum »

Moriartus

"Certainly, Mr. Dougal!"

"These costs will be deducted from any treasure that we obtain. However, I welcome any contributions to share the upfront risk. Your contribution will be reimbursed before the distribution of treasure shares."

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Karaunios »

Dougal

"Fane. Mibbe just one af these gems maight help? I ordered them tae be cut by the jeweler." he hands it to the mage.

-1 cut hobgoblin gem, worth 20gp.

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Quonundrum »

Moriartus

"Thank you, Mr. Dougal."

"I understand and appreciate you are rather lean of coin. If we should return empty handed, you shall have this back."

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#10 Post by scottjen »

Fydmar
Ah, there are my new companions. I was distracted by some comely lasses and didn't realize you were ready to go. This aid kit you talking about sounds fine except for its price. Maybe once we are the wealthier eh?

Sorry guys, didn't realize this was the one I had volunteered for

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Spearmint »

Helix Village, Duchy of Aerik.

8.00am. Windy, light rain.

The group head south-west following the trail through the scattered farmhouses that exist at the edge of the civilized area. These frontier homes are the limit of any militia patrols, the 'this far but no further' boundary signposted by the thick veil of swirling mist that ebbs and flows from the wilderness of peat bogs that stretch out southwards covering a huge 600 square miles of treacherous Moor.

The Barrow Mounds are about six hours trek across the Moor. The time doubled due to the soft boggy ecological conditions of the landscape and the eerie mist which limits good visibility to around 60'ft in all directions. Beyond that strange shadows leer, feigning movement, the twisted trunks of withered trees looking like spindly giants reaching out through the gloom. The grassy clumps of vines and blooming flora could easily hide any kind of predator behind. Indeed as you take the first intrepid steps into the strange environment, the croaking calls of large toads announce your arrival.

This trail going south west from Helix is well used by Barrow explorers. You trek along the meandering path. Each season the trail changing as the peat furrows and icy meltwater create new boggy dangers. Dougal leads the way with Rickford at his shoulder. Behind them the group walk in single file, whispering conversations and noisily swatting mosquitoes that buzz or taking blood sucking leeches of their closed before the critters can latch on to any exposed flesh.

You haven't travelled more than an hour when the scouts signal you to halt, spying movement ahead in the mist. Advancing slowly up the trail towards you, unseen shadowy figures which move under a yellowish lantern light.

actions everyone please

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Quonundrum »

Moriartus

As the group enters the misty boundary of the moor, Moriartus produces four wax candles from his satchel. Proceeding to break each into two equal halves, he gives one piece of half candle to each member of the group. "Our company's first expedition, including Miss Two-Bird's and Mr. Dougal here, encountered a moor harpy with a group of giant vultures. The wax in these candles are simply a precaution. If you should see any vultures, do not hesitate, raise an alarm and stuff your ears with this wax."

Shortly after the candle distribution, the scouts signaled the approach of shadowy, indistinct strangers. "Ready arms, but hold your fire and positions. Mr. Cadeweed. Mr. Dougal. What do you make of it? Another group returning from the barrow mounds?"

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#13 Post by Paladin »

Apologies. I've been trying and failing to get a post up. Here we go.

Marcel Gerard Desrosiers

The plainly-garbed friar puffs a bit harder than perhaps he should from the relatively mild exertion, putting on a burst of 'speed' to maintain his place in the line.

"Goodness, me. I have to stop eating so much and exercise," he whispers to himself. Gerard's eyes narrow with distaste at at the idea. "Another day."

He heeds the wise council of those who've gone before, absorbing details and instructions as best he may, then halts as the group is approached by the bobbing yellow gleam and accompanying figures.

Gerard mops his brow as they wait.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by gurusql »

Cadeweed

Cadeweed marches with the group with his sling out. Cadeweed will keep his position behind the ranger and lantern-bearer, and try to see more details about the yellowish figures and they come closer and will take note of any potential cover just off the path.

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Karaunios »

Dougal

As Moriartus gives them all wax as a precautionary measure against the harpies' charming capabilities, Dougal experiences a shudder running down his spine. "Aye. Ye better dae as he ses. We had a very bad experience with thaus monsters." He looks at the mage sideways, and the latter can still see regret in the rangers' face.

Once they continue on their way and come across the figures ahead, the ranger narrows his eyes and tries to see how the members of the other party walk. Does it look like regular bipedal marching pace? Is it frantic, too slow or irregular? Does the light flicker like a fire from a torch or a lamp does? Do they hear voices of their conversations or are they making strange sounds of any at all?

"I cuddna se, Master Moriartus. They look human tae me, but are still tae far tae se it with certainty."

Just in case, the ranger nocks an arrow on his bow, but doesn't point it at the group yet.

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#16 Post by scottjen »

Fydmar
He makes his 2 wax earplugs ready. Then readies his blades and looks for a shadow where he can wait (hopefully) unseen.......just in case.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Spearmint »

Barrow Moor, southwest of Helix, Duchy of Aerik.

9.45am. Windy, light rain.

Prepared to defend themselves, the group pair up and shelter in cover on the trail. The light in the mist heading towards them, waving from side to side comes closer. It is a lantern dangling from the collar of a mule that slowly trudges through the mud. It has a pack of tools and crates on its back. A rope over its haunches is held by two blindfolded dwarves. They have head wounds and bloody bandages. Behind them another mule is pulled along by short reins, dragging a travois on two long poles. The stretcher contains a body under a blanket. The reins are pulled by a greybeard dwarf, solemnly walking, not noticing or not caring you are ahead.

actions please

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Quonundrum »

Moriartus

Moriartus steps towards the front of the column and calls out in dwarven, "Hail, strangers, and well met! We offer friendship, are you in need of assistance?" He whispers in a low voice to the party, "Stay on your guard, things are not always as they appear in this accursed mist."

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by gurusql »

Cadeweed

Cadeweed attempts to step quietly into one of those shadows he hopefully found.

Move Silently (30) [1d100]=41
Hide in Shadows (30) [1d100]=90

(Perhaps it was a bright spot)

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Karaunios »

Dougal

The ranger simply nods at Moriartus' words and watches with his bow ready but still pointing down in order not to look too menacing.

Return to “Completed Expeditions”