OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Quest #39 "Lizards And Lovebirds"

#1 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Lovers Leaping Lizards
Starday, 27th of Goodmonth
Early Morning, Overcast, Warm, Buggy

Sir Narramore (correct me if he isn't the party's leader) wants to lead a group all the way down the beach to where a herd of huge lizards are rumored to graze. Hoping to domesticate a few of them for farming or other practical jobs, the holy warrior also has dreams of defeating the Stoneguts with a cavalry of lizard mounted warriors.

Keyon offers up the use of his flying carpet, asking the much stronger Feanol, who no longer needs to lean on the elf's arm every time she moves around, if she would like to accompany them. The recently lovestruck Elnaerel wont leave the side of her new flame, so she eagerly agrees to accompany Sir Narramore and company as well. They all mount up on the former pirates magical flying wonder and are soon underway.

Any final Actions before we start out?

How about a marching order?
Sir Narramore AC:3 12/12 LoH
Keyon AC:4 12/12
Feanol (MU2) AC:10 8/8 RM, CL, DM 2/2
Elnaerel (CL2) AC:3 18/18 # of spells not listed on sheet
Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Quest #39 "Lizards And Lovebirds"

#2 Post by Karaunios »

Elnaerel

"Where are we going exactly? Do you know of a place where they keep the lizards or did you think on assaulting their patrols on the road?"

About that marching order I'd suggest:

Narramore
Elnaerel (it's 4 level 1 spells; already noted on sheet)
Feanol
Keyon

Wouldn't mind if Elnaerel is on the first row either and Narramore second.
Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#3 Post by Paladin »

Sir William Narramore and Keyon

Narramore guides them down the beach toward the location where their quarry is rumored to graze. "I've heard tell of them this way," he says. "Finding them should be easy. As for cutting a few and driving them home...that will be the hard part."

Keyon nods and says nothing. He's just pleased to be moving, flying them (he hopes) above the reach of insects and ground attacks, eyes alert for signs of airborne predators.

Keyon will be driving, so he'll be crouched in front on the left side. How about Narramore on the back right side. Elnaerel in the front right and Feanol on the back left?
Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Karaunios »

Fine.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#5 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Lovers Leaping Lizards

The foursome begin their early morning flight to the opposite end of the long, sandy beach, making incredible time on the thief's new flying device. Keyon keeps the carpet just below the tree tops as he flies, hoping he doesn't attract any unwanted attention from dangerous flying monsters. With the strong breezes blowing through their long hair, the trip is actually somewhat enjoyable, as long as they keep their mouths closed to prevent eating too many bugs.

Despite the lack of a good bug shield, the exhilarating flight goes by rather quickly and the party of four is soon on the western end of the line of sand at the waters edge. From this point on, the rug will need to be flown either down the narrow path, or above the canopy in order to reach the lizard clearing another 5 miles to the west.

Actions?

Sorry, but Elnaerel prefers to sit next to Narramore. :lol:
Elnaerel (CL2) AC:3 18/18 1st:4/4
Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Karaunios »

Elnaerel

Despite all logic the cleric wants to sit at the back of the carpet. She won't do anything "improper" though. Her morals haven't changed, but she wants to be close to the paladin.

She looks at the cloudy sky hoping it won't rain.

But can they hold hands? :P
Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#7 Post by Paladin »

Keyon and Narramore

The elf commands the carpet to pause. "We have flying beasts, tree people, Stoneguts, and natives to contend with. The carpet can't outrun flying beasts. It might outrun people on foot, if we get a head start and see them before they see us. What say you? Shall we take the path or fly high?"

"I vote for the path," Narramore replies. "At least I have a chance against Stoneguts and tree people. I can't do much against flying beasts."

Whatever the consensus is, Keyon will fly promptly where the group decides. He has no desire to waste time and allow enemies to stumble upon them. If no clear consensus is reached, he'll take the path.
Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Karaunios »

Elnaerel

"The path is fine with me too. I have my sling, but I rather fight hand to hand when it comes to that. Besides, I want to test my new weapon." She looks for a second at her morningstar.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#9 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Seeking Lizards

Keyon convinces the girls that they can ride on the carpet along the trail instead of risking flying above the trees with the rest of the aerial creatures. Narramore agrees, still looking a bit uncomfortable, urging the thief up the narrow trail.

After a while of flying through overgrown leaves and branches, getting smacked across the head and shoulders repeatedly, the new pilot wonders if it might be more comfortable to give the rug a short break and simply walk the rest of the way. A few goat sized beetles are seen along the trail, so Keyon tries to stay above them as they pass.
shutterstock_693396226.jpg
shutterstock_693396226.jpg (46.56 KiB) Viewed 722 times

Narramore, the tallest of the riders, wonders if sitting backwards and facing the rear of the thin craft might be more comfortable. Then he spots a clearing to the north that his group saw the last time he was here.

Actions?

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Karaunios »

Elnaerel

"Thank the gods we avoided those." says the cleric pointing at the beetles. "Better to be fresh for our mission."
Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#11 Post by Paladin »

Which clearing was this? I've started conflating things that Cealwyn and Narramore know and confusing myself until I have to read whole threads again. :oops:
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#12 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Now you know how I feel. :lol:

This is a small clearing on the north side before the path that leads to the maze. It was little more than an abandoned campsite the last time it was found, and still appears that way now.
Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#13 Post by Paladin »

Keyon and Narramore

If it's doable, Keyon will lower them enough to get beneath the worst of the branches and fly at a slower pace to avoid other obstructions. If it's too tangled and not feasible, he'll make sure they're beyond reach of the beetles and coast to the ground, then dismount and begin his trek.

Narramore points to the clearing ahead. "We came through here before," he says. "It looked as if someone camped here, then left."

Both men keep their eyes open and Keyon searches diligently for traps or tripwire in the earth before them and foliage around them. Or any obvious tracks visible to an untrained eye. Narramore scans the treetops and their backtrail as they near the campsite.

If they make it to the clearing without incident, they'll take a quick look to verify that nothing is altered from Narramore's last visit. If nothing of interest is discovered, Keyon gestures down the trail. "Shall we continue?"

Thanks OM. :lol: The struggle is real.
Ahlmzhad
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#14 Post by Ahlmzhad »

Feanol

Sorry, been on a trip and just no time to be on. I'm back now.

Feanol will have yielded the back spot to Elnaerel, and given her hearty wink of encouragement.
Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Karaunios »

Glad you're back!
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#16 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Seeking Lizards

Hopping off the carpet to stretch their legs and take a look around, the group finds nothing has changed in this clearing since they last saw it.

Once their search comes to a close, everyone starts to hear a strange soft clicking noise coming from the jungle to the north.

Actions?

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Karaunios »

Elnaerel

The cleric looks at her companions once she's finally standing on solid floor. She gets her morningstar ready. "What's that? Do you recognize that sound?" She tries to identify what kind of beast could be doing the clicking sound.
Ahlmzhad
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#18 Post by Ahlmzhad »

Feanol

Replying to Elnaerel in a lowed tone "I don't know, but this forest is so different than the one I grew up in".

Reaching out to grab Keyon's nearest upper arm, and leaning close. "What beast makes that sound?"
Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#19 Post by Paladin »

Keyon

"If it's hostile, perhaps we can levitate in this clearing out of reach and defeat it from above," he muses. The elf cocks his head and listens. Does it sound similar to the beetles they passed on the trail before? If so, he'll tell the others and recommend they get in the air. Otherwise:

"I'll check it out." With that, he creeps as cautiously as possible up the trail, staying low and moving carefully to avoid traps and potential ambushers, until he can get a look at what's clicking.

Sir William Narramore

The big man grips his sword and looks warily around, seeking threats to dispatch.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#20 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Seeking Lizards

Having heard it before, Sir Narramore definitely recognizes this sound, urging the others to get back on the carpet before they are all sprayed with a reeking acid.

Just as Keyon gets back aboard and starts levitating, telling the girls to get aboard quickly, three huge insects, the same ones they have been seeing along the trail, march into the clearing. 2 of them charge at the armored paladin as he, Feanol, and Elnaerel attempt to get back aboard the magic rug. The third one spins around and points its ass end towards the fleeing group.
shutterstock_693396226.jpg
shutterstock_693396226.jpg (46.38 KiB) Viewed 652 times

Actions?

Please give me a [3d6] Dex check to see who makes it aboard the carpet in time. Keyon can give me a [3d6] Int check.

Return to “Completed Missions”