001 - Welcome to North Port!

joertexas
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: 001 - Welcome to North Port!

#61 Post by Spearmint »

Amistad

"The merchant in question did not want to hire from this port here but insists on recruiting folk at another port.

I answered her advert in good faith but found little respect reciprocated. In fact she looked to cause trouble accusing me of undermining her caravan navigators.

She speaks of good reputation but I see few men flocking to her door and those that do are treated with disdain.

You spoke of other merchants going to the Arrow Lake. Tell me more of them."

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by joertexas »

Spearmint wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:34 pm Amistad

"The merchant in question did not want to hire from this port here but insists on recruiting folk at another port.

I answered her advert in good faith but found little respect reciprocated. In fact she looked to cause trouble accusing me of undermining her caravan navigators.

She speaks of good reputation but I see few men flocking to her door and those that do are treated with disdain.

The waiter looks surprised. "She has the highest reputation, and she hires guards from here, since she carries cargoes to South Port, and then inland from there. The boats are sometimes attacked, too, so she would need the help. No one goes inland on the road unless they're in the caravans. It's too dangerous."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#63 Post by terrymixon »

joertexas wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:42 pm
Spearmint wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:34 pm Amistad

The waiter looks surprised. "She has the highest reputation, and she hires guards from here, since she carries cargoes to South Port, and then inland from there. The boats are sometimes attacked, too, so she would need the help. No one goes inland on the road unless they're in the caravans. It's too dangerous."
Mirek will slowly drink so as not to get impacted, looked and listen, and then head to the docks when the time comes. He’ll walk with the others if they’re going.
The Spinward Main: Jack "Flighty" O'Brien, 989BB7, Merchant (3rd Officer), 4 terms, 34
Carousing-1, Computers-1, Engineering-1, Investigation-1, Jack of all Trades-3, Medicine-1, Melee Cbt-0, Navigation-1, Pilot-3, Pistol-1, Repair-1, Science-1, Steward-1, Streetwise-1, Cargo-0, Zero G-0
Benefit: 1,000 Cr, Auto Pistol, Explorer's Society (or TAS) membership.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#64 Post by Eris »

joertexas wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:28 pm The waiter comes by. "I thought you were going with the Caravan Master."
Aden has returned to the saloon and is seated at the table with Amistad and Mirek.

"I am, um I guess we," Aden glances at Mirek, then back to the waiter, "...are meeting her at the Darkford Docks, Slip Five, at the fourth bell." Aden says holding up another silver piece, "Would you give me directions to this location and tell me how much time is there before the fourth bell?"
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by joertexas »

Eris wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:30 am
joertexas wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:28 pm The waiter comes by. "I thought you were going with the Caravan Master."
Aden has returned to the saloon and is seated at the table with Amistad and Mirek.

"I am, um I guess we," Aden glances at Mirek, then back to the waiter, "...are meeting her at the Darkford Docks, Slip Five, at the fourth bell." Aden says holding up another silver piece, "Would you give me directions to this location and tell me how much time is there before the fourth bell?"
The waiter takes the coin with a smile. "You go back toward the market, and take the next street, that's Hammer Street, to the right. Follow it across the bridge, and then just keep going down the alley until you reach the docks. You have about two hours before the fourth bell. Would you like a meal for this coin?"
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#66 Post by Eris »

joertexas wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:40 am

The waiter takes the coin with a smile. "You go back toward the market, and take the next street, that's Hammer Street, to the right. Follow it across the bridge, and then just keep going down the alley until you reach the docks. You have about two hours before the fourth bell. Would you like a meal for this coin?"
"Two hours? That gives me time for a meal, so yes, I would like a meal for this silver!" Aden grins, "Have you got a stew with vegetables and meat...and a slab of bread to sop up the juices?"

"After I eat, I intend to stroll over to the docks, taking my time and looking around the town on the way." Aden says to the others.

He adds, "I'd be happy of the company if one or both of you walk along with me."
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#67 Post by terrymixon »

Eris wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:49 am
joertexas wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:40 am

"Two hours? That gives me time for a meal, so yes, I would like a meal for this silver!" Aden grins, "Have you got a stew with vegetables and meat...and a slab of bread to sop up the juices?"

"After I eat, I intend to stroll over to the docks, taking my time and looking around the town on the way." Aden says to the others.

He adds, "I'd be happy of the company if one or both of you walk along with me."
“Sounds good. I’ll take the same. Thanks.” Mirek will join him for the meal and the walk.
The Spinward Main: Jack "Flighty" O'Brien, 989BB7, Merchant (3rd Officer), 4 terms, 34
Carousing-1, Computers-1, Engineering-1, Investigation-1, Jack of all Trades-3, Medicine-1, Melee Cbt-0, Navigation-1, Pilot-3, Pistol-1, Repair-1, Science-1, Steward-1, Streetwise-1, Cargo-0, Zero G-0

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by Spearmint »

Amistad

Feels he never gets a straight answer to a straight question. Fresh air and open skies may be good. "Fish. From the docks."

He decides to accompany the pair, at least for exploring the port and a chance to buy some freshly caught seafood.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by joertexas »

As the fourth bell peals from the keep's bell tower, you all arrive at the correct slip. Elaith is standing at the bow gangway as the stevedores lump the last of the cargo aboard. The ship is actually a barge with a single mast and poling platforms, and is about fifty feet long by fifteen feet wide. There are four crewmen visible, but the Caravan Master is not in sight.

"You came, after all," Elaith greets them with a smile.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#70 Post by Eris »

joertexas wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:58 pm As the fourth bell peals from the keep's bell tower, you all arrive at the correct slip. Elaith is standing at the bow gangway as the stevedores lump the last of the cargo aboard. The ship is actually a barge with a single mast and poling platforms, and is about fifty feet long by fifteen feet wide. There are four crewmen visible, but the Caravan Master is not in sight.

"I had given my word that I would be here." Aden says with a shrug as he walks up the bow gangway, "Where do I drop my gear and then, what can I do to help?"
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#71 Post by terrymixon »

Eris wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:54 pm
joertexas wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:58 pm As the fourth bell peals from the keep's bell tower, you all arrive at the correct slip. Elaith is standing at the bow gangway as the stevedores lump the last of the cargo aboard. The ship is actually a barge with a single mast and poling platforms, and is about fifty feet long by fifteen feet wide. There are four crewmen visible, but the Caravan Master is not in sight.

"I had given my word that I would be here." Aden says with a shrug as he walks up the bow gangway, "Where do I drop my gear and then, what can I do to help?"
“As did I,” Mirek said, following his new friend’s lead.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by Spearmint »

Amistad
since she carries cargoes to South Port, and then inland from there. The boats are sometimes attacked, too, so she would need the help.
"You suggested I checked your reputation and they said you carried cargoes that are often attacked even on the water. So you need extra guards now, not when you reach North Port."

He holds a hand out, palm open. "Two gold."

terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#73 Post by terrymixon »

Spearmint wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:32 pm Amistad
since she carries cargoes to South Port, and then inland from there. The boats are sometimes attacked, too, so she would need the help.
"You suggested I checked your reputation and they said you carried cargoes that are often attacked even on the water. So you need extra guards now, not when you reach North Port."

“I love seeing a master negotiator at work,” Mirek said out of the side of his mouth toward Aden. He somehow kept a straight face.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by joertexas »

terrymixon wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:39 pm

“I love seeing a master negotiator at work,” Mirek said out of the side of his mouth toward Aden. He somehow kept a straight face.
Elaith grins at Mirek as she picks up the comment. "Well, he is right in this case." She takes a small pouch from her belt, and extracts six gold coins, which she hands to Aden. She repeats the process with Mirek, and then gives six more to Amistad. "That is for today, tomorrow, and the day after. By then, we should be in South Port." She replaces her pouch. "You will find a small bunk area up forward, just ahead of the cargo hatch. Place your gear there, and then you may wish to examine the ship. We have had barges be boarded, especially at night. So, you will need to know your way around the deck."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#75 Post by terrymixon »

joertexas wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:13 am

Elaith grins at Mirek as she picks up the comment. "Well, he is right in this case." She takes a small pouch from her belt, and extracts six gold coins, which she hands to Aden. She repeats the process with Mirek, and then gives six more to Amistad. "That is for today, tomorrow, and the day after. By then, we should be in South Port." She replaces her pouch. "You will find a small bunk area up forward, just ahead of the cargo hatch. Place your gear there, and then you may wish to examine the ship. We have had barges be boarded, especially at night. So, you will need to know your way around the deck."
“One to Amistad. We’ll done, sir.”

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by Spearmint »

Amistad

Pockets the coins, "Thank you Sister Eliath."

He goes to drop his pack and find a place to hang his skin shield.

"We should explore the ship, below deck as well. List the armoury. Interview any crew and find out their martial skills. Familiar ourselves with those on watch duties. Who are the skilled sailors who can haul in the sheets, who is the helmsman or rudder man."

terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#77 Post by terrymixon »

Spearmint wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:50 am Amistad

Pockets the coins, "Thank you Sister Eliath."

He goes to drop his pack and find a place to hang his skin shield.

"We should explore the ship, below deck as well. List the armoury. Interview any crew and find out their martial skills. Familiar ourselves with those on watch duties. Who are the skilled sailors who can haul in the sheets, who is the helmsman or rudder man."
To nod at his new friend’s victory, Mirek didn’t argue and followed.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by joertexas »

The barge is not large; it has a cargo hold in the middle, covered by battens, and small "houses" at the bow and stern.

Barge.jpg
Barge.jpg (124.58 KiB) Viewed 721 times
The tiller is atop the after house on the right side, and there are four poling platforms at each corner. The vessel is schooner rigged, with two sails and two jibs. The picture is basic, since I put it together quickly.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#79 Post by Eris »

Aden smiles at Mirek then looks to Elaith still smiling as she hands him gold coins saying "Thanks!" then he puts the coins in his pouch.

Nodding to Elaith, he makes his way to the bunk area and tosses his back pack into a corner along with his bow and quiver. He still has the hand crossbow hooked to his belt and the short sword in a cross scabbard on his hip. He waits for Mirek and Amistad to deposit their gear and leaves the cabin with them.

Aden walks around the barge noting where everything is located. How many crew are aboard and how do they strike him? He goes down into the cargo hold and looks around seeing what is down there...sacks, boxes, crates...and how they are arranged. He might have to negotiate both areas in the dark later.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by joertexas »

Eris wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:47 pm

Aden smiles at Mirek then looks to Elaith still smiling as she hands him gold coins saying "Thanks!" then he puts the coins in his pouch.

Nodding to Elaith, he makes his way to the bunk area and tosses his back pack into a corner along with his bow and quiver. He still has the hand crossbow hooked to his belt and the short sword in a cross scabbard on his hip. He waits for Mirek and Amistad to deposit their gear and leaves the cabin with them.

Aden walks around the barge noting where everything is located. How many crew are aboard and how do they strike him? He goes down into the cargo hold and looks around seeing what is down there...sacks, boxes, crates...and how they are arranged. He might have to negotiate both areas in the dark later.
The forward bunks are rope nets tied to iron rings, stacked three high in the cramped space. Three rows of shelves provide a place to set your gear, but there is little room to do anything else but try to sleep in the tiny cabin. There are four crewmen aboard, plus Elaith and, presumably, the Caravan Master, who apparently isn't aboard. The grand tour doesn't take long, as the crew accommodations aft are scarcely larger, although it boasts a storage locker set into the forward wall. The crew lets them look inside, but not enter their quarters. The barge is clearly a veteran of many trips and not a few fights (from the dark stains on the deck and the occasional gouge in the fixtures), but the rigging and other items aboard are stowed properly and seem to be well maintained.

The steering tiller is mounted atop the after cabin, and there are anchors lashed at each corner of the barge deck. The cargo hold is covered with battens as wide as a man's foot running athwartships, and are pegged to the deck to keep them in place. The cargo consists of bagged grains, barrels - some of which contain beer and wine, a stack of iron ingots, wrapped bundles of cloth, and crates of who-knows-what, since they aren't marked. All but the after four feet of cargo deck is completely packed with cargo, up to a height of four feet. The cargo hold is a bit over seven feet tall.

The crewmen are young men, and they carry cutlasses and daggers. It's clear that they are primarily sailors, though they claim to have been in some fights when questioned. They handle the rigging and the poles as required, while Elaith is the usual helmsman. The crew agrees that the two women are much better fighters, and they seem to be well-liked.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Return to “Exploring the North Lands (5e)”