Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: 001 - Welcome to North Port!

#21 Post by Eris »

terrymixon wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:18 am
Eris wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:05 am
terrymixon wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:11 am

"I am now," Mirek said as he sauntered over and sat. "Originally it was just for the ale. Any idea where the caravan is heading? Or even what lies around here?"
Aden waits for his mug of ale before following and tells whoever is behind the bar to bring Amistad a glass of milk, goat preferably, and pays for both. Then he sits at the table with Mirek and Amistad.

"This is the broadsheet. Not big on details.", Aden says taking a folded parchment from under his armor and handing it to Mirek, "I saw this posted at the last port I was in. The ship was coming here, so I thought I'd look into it. I was getting a bit waterlogged and fancied dry land for a while."
"Dry land is good. A way to pick up some coin while we learn the lay of the land is good, too."
Aden waves over one of the waitstaff and asks, "I'm hungry and need a bed to sleep upon this eve. Does this place offer either or both food and lodging?"

If the answer is yes, Aden will order something to eat and arrange lodging. He will offer to share lodging with either or both of his new companions if they would like to split the cost.

After all that is arranged, if it can be, Aden shows the waitperson, the broadsheet and asks, "Do you know what this is all about? Who we speak to? Where such a caravan would be traveling?"
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Spearmint »

Amistad

Finishes grinding his seeds and maize and adds the milk to the bowl, giving it a quick stir and supping from it, holding the bowl with both hands.

"Excuse me Sir. I see you have some fine bows. What hunting to do you sport around this region? What creatures range in the forests along the trade routes?" he speaks in fluent Elvish to one of the pointy eared warriors sitting at the table opposite. He uses an honourific title, the 'Sir' being some mark of respect to an elder.

"Tell me about these caravans routes. How far do they travel and what bandits lie in wait."

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by joertexas »

The waiter, a young human, and the elven hunter stand next to the table where the trio is sitting.

"The caravan master is in the back room," the waiter says. "I will take you to her when you are ready. I know little of the caravans, save that they go west from South Port, along the Waggoner's Road to the Lake of Arrows. We do have rooms here for a gold coin per night, but if you hire on with the caravan master, she plans to leave by the afternoon bells."

The warrior, a slim young elf with blond hair and green eyes, speaks next. "I have not been further south than this city. I am from far up the River, in what you humans call the Wild Lands. We hunt for food and defense, and not for sport, as you say. There are all manner of folk and creatures in these lands, and most of them not friendly to outsiders."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Spearmint »

Amistad

Nods as the waiter and elf reply. At least one gave him pertinent information.

He gathers his shield from the wall and pouches his bowl after a quick wipe clean with a rag. Without further ado, he heads towards the back room where the merchant is holding office.

Ignoring formalities, he knocks and walks in.

"Ma'am. Sirs. My comrades in the saloon and I wish to hire on as guards. We are experienced men who can handle animals, beasts and bandits. We are ready to leave at your convenience."

He is just direct and hands the recruiting pamphlet over.

terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#25 Post by terrymixon »

Spearmint wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:04 pm Amistad

Nods as the waiter and elf reply. At least one gave him pertinent information.

He gathers his shield from the wall and pouches his bowl after a quick wipe clean with a rag. Without further ado, he heads towards the back room where the merchant is holding office.

Ignoring formalities, he knocks and walks in.

"Ma'am. Sirs. My comrades in the saloon and I wish to hire on as guards. We are experienced men who can handle animals, beasts and bandits. We are ready to leave at your convenience."

He is just direct and hands the recruiting pamphlet over.
Mirek quirked an eyebrow in amusement, finished his ale, and followed the direct barbarian into the back.
The Spinward Main: Jack "Flighty" O'Brien, 989BB7, Merchant (3rd Officer), 4 terms, 34
Carousing-1, Computers-1, Engineering-1, Investigation-1, Jack of all Trades-3, Medicine-1, Melee Cbt-0, Navigation-1, Pilot-3, Pistol-1, Repair-1, Science-1, Steward-1, Streetwise-1, Cargo-0, Zero G-0
Benefit: 1,000 Cr, Auto Pistol, Explorer's Society (or TAS) membership.

Into the Marches: Emily Green, 566997, 34, LCDR Imperial Navy, 4 terms.
Foil-1, Engineering-2, Gunnery-1, JOAT-1, Mechanical-1, SMG-1, Ships Boat-1, Vacc Suit-1
16,000 cr, Travellers' Aid Society, MCG medal (good for free beers in many bars), Letter of Introduction

Silverband: Des Karst, 3rd Level Fighter, Two-Handed Axe, 6' 6", long red hair in a warrior's braid.

Akus Moby: Lily Stone, 897CB3, 42, Marine Gunnery Sergeant, 6 terms.
Skills: Gambling-6, Streetwise-4, Brawling-3, Combat Rifleman-3, Pistol-3, Battledress-1, Dagger-1, Grav Vehicle-1 (Air/Raft group), Survival-1
14,000 cr, 1 High Passage

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#26 Post by Eris »

joertexas wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:40 pm The waiter, a young human, and the elven hunter stand next to the table where the trio is sitting.

"The caravan master is in the back room," the waiter says. "I will take you to her when you are ready. I know little of the caravans, save that they go west from South Port, along the Waggoner's Road to the Lake of Arrows. We do have rooms here for a gold coin per night, but if you hire on with the caravan master, she plans to leave by the afternoon bells."
"Ah, I see! Thank you for the information." Aden says with a nod, "Well, forget about the room then, but I still want something to eat. Hold that thought until I return from the back room, though. If the Caravan Master is that anxious to roll, I might have to have a bite on the go."

Aden, like Mirek, finishes his ale, then rises...leaving a silver coin on the table for the waiter...and follows him into the backroom where Amistad has already breeched the walls...so to speak. Aden is hiding a small smile at the brashness of the tall barbarian thinking to himself, "That can take a man far, or get him killed fast."

Scoping out the backroom as he steps over the threshold, what does Aden see?
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#27 Post by terrymixon »

Eris wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:11 pm
joertexas wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:40 pm The waiter, a young human, and the elven hunter stand next to the table where the trio is sitting.

"Ah, I see! Thank you for the information." Aden says with a nod, "Well, forget about the room then, but I still want something to eat. Hold that thought until I return from the back room, though. If the Caravan Master is that anxious to roll, I might have to have a bite on the go."

Aden, like Mirek, finishes his ale, then rises...leaving a silver coin on the table for the waiter...and follows him into the backroom where Amistad has already breeched the walls...so to speak. Aden is hiding a small smile at the brashness of the tall barbarian thinking to himself, "That can take a man far, or get him killed fast."

Scoping out the backroom as he steps over the threshold, what does Aden see?
Mirek is impressed with a tip that’s more than twice the value of the drink itself, but is grateful for the reminder. He leaves a copper tip for the four copper ale. (At least that’s what the book said when I was making my character last night. ;) )
The Spinward Main: Jack "Flighty" O'Brien, 989BB7, Merchant (3rd Officer), 4 terms, 34
Carousing-1, Computers-1, Engineering-1, Investigation-1, Jack of all Trades-3, Medicine-1, Melee Cbt-0, Navigation-1, Pilot-3, Pistol-1, Repair-1, Science-1, Steward-1, Streetwise-1, Cargo-0, Zero G-0

Foil-1, Engineering-2, Gunnery-1, JOAT-1, Mechanical-1, SMG-1, Ships Boat-1, Vacc Suit-1
16,000 cr, Travellers' Aid Society, MCG medal (good for free beers in many bars), Letter of Introduction

Silverband: Des Karst, 3rd Level Fighter, Two-Handed Axe, 6' 6", long red hair in a warrior's braid.

Skills: Gambling-6, Streetwise-4, Brawling-3, Combat Rifleman-3, Pistol-3, Battledress-1, Dagger-1, Grav Vehicle-1 (Air/Raft group), Survival-1

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by joertexas »

The group sees a tall, heavyset woman sitting at the only table in the small taproom.
The Caravan Master.jpg
The Caravan Master.jpg (124.16 KiB) Viewed 487 times

She stands as the three enter, and she is nearly as tall as the barbarian. "Who might you three be?" Her accent is unfamiliar to any of you.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#29 Post by Eris »

joertexas wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:14 am The group sees a tall, heavyset woman sitting at the only table in the small taproom.

The Caravan Master.jpg

She stands as the three enter, and she is nearly as tall as the barbarian. "Who might you three be?" Her accent is unfamiliar to any of you.
"My name's Aden." says the man in a brown cloak with studded leather armor under it, "Amistad and Mirek." he gestures to the tall and then shorter man in front of him.

"I'm here to ask about the Caravan guard job as are these other two." Adan smiles slightly, "I think my barbarian friend here said something about that before I entered the room."

"I've lately been a guard aboard ships plying the Islands, a caravan guard before that, and other similar things before that." Aden continues, "I'm very skilled with long bows, when range is called for and the hand crossbow for up close. I can use a short sword and dagger when needed. I'll give you a day's work for a day's pay if you hire me."

"The others can speak for themselves."
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#30 Post by terrymixon »

Eris wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:24 pm
joertexas wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:14 am The group sees a tall, heavyset woman sitting at the only table in the small taproom.

The Caravan Master.jpg

"My name's Aden." says the man in a brown cloak with studded leather armor under it, "Amistad and Mirek." he gestures to the tall and then shorter man in front of him.

"I'm here to ask about the Caravan guard job as are these other two." Adan smiles slightly, "I think my barbarian friend here said something about that before I entered the room."

"I've lately been a guard aboard ships plying the Islands, a caravan guard before that, and other similar things before that." Aden continues, "I'm very skilled with long bows, when range is called for and the hand crossbow for up close. I can use a short sword and dagger when needed. I'll give you a day's work for a day's pay if you hire me."

"The others can speak for themselves."
“I’m Mirek. I’m handy in general, and can use a sword, bow, and dagger as needed.”

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Spearmint »

Amistad

"Tell me about your caravans. How many merchants are in the train. Many wagons or settlers? How many other guards are employed?"

He has lots of practical questions but doesn't want to overload the woman.

Is the table empty or does she have a terrain map marked out.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by joertexas »

The Caravan Master smiles and gestures to the empty chairs in front of her. "Well met, Amistad, Adan, and Mirek. Please, let us sit and talk for a few moments." She sits down once more and picks up her mug to take a drink. The table is clear save for her mug and a clay pitcher of water.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Spearmint »

Amistad

"How far is this Lake of Arrows? A strange name, do the fish fight back?" he jests but says it with a plain face.

"It is a poor city when the Lordlings cannot ensure peaceful trade, leaving it to merchants to secure the roads. These must be desperate times. Desperate times calls for desperate men but we three ... or at least I, am not foolhardy to commit to an enterprise without equal reward to risks.

I would like four thaylers a day. And a horse. I will protect your merchandise from theft without and theft within. Creatures and feral humanoids I have no qualms to slay if necessary. But I will take an extra thayler for every human life shed and you must bear accountability, for their blood shall be upon your shoulders. I want no Chief or Militia seeking me for retribution or bounty."

He stands rather than takes a seat, uncomfortable in the bare room. He makes what he thinks is a better proposition and does so trying to pass an air of 'non-negotiables'.

Amistad uses his lack of Charisma [1d20+1]=13+1=14

terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#34 Post by terrymixon »

Spearmint wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:09 am Amistad

"How far is this Lake of Arrows? A strange name, do the fish fight back?" he jests but says it with a plain face.

"It is a poor city when the Lordlings cannot ensure peaceful trade, leaving it to merchants to secure the roads. These must be desperate times. Desperate times calls for desperate men but we three ... or at least I, am not foolhardy to commit to an enterprise without equal reward to risks.

I would like four thaylers a day. And a horse. I will protect your merchandise from theft without and theft within. Creatures and feral humanoids I have no qualms to slay if necessary. But I will take an extra thayler for every human life shed and you must bear accountability, for their blood shall be upon your shoulders. I want no Chief or Militia seeking me for retribution or bounty."

He stands rather than takes a seat, uncomfortable in the bare room. He makes what he thinks is a better proposition and does so trying to pass an air of 'non-negotiables'.

Interested in seeing how this negotiation tactic works for him, Mirek takes the offered seat and listens. He's not usually so quiet, but this is all too fascinating to interrupt.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by joertexas »

terrymixon wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:24 am

Interested in seeing how this negotiation tactic works for him, Mirek takes the offered seat and listens. He's not usually so quiet, but this is all too fascinating to interrupt.
The Caravan Master sits back and studies the three of you for a moment. "I prefer to not discuss details until we are ready to leave. I have a proposal, since you three seem to be a cut above the usual new arrivals. Come with me to South Port. It's a days' sail south of here along the coast. The trip is safe, since the waterway is protected from the ocean by an island. Then, we will negotiate once you see the caravan."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#36 Post by terrymixon »

joertexas wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:57 am
terrymixon wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:24 am

The Caravan Master sits back and studies the three of you for a moment. "I prefer to not discuss details until we are ready to leave. I have a proposal, since you three seem to be a cut above the usual new arrivals. Come with me to South Port. It's a days' sail south of here along the coast. The trip is safe, since the waterway is protected from the ocean by an island. Then, we will negotiate once you see the caravan."
“I have no objection to that.”

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Spearmint »

Amistad

Is confused, when he gets confused his emotions have to be kept in check.

"Ma'am. I don't wish to be disrespectful. But this advert clearly says, 'North Port. Green Griffon, North Port.

Now you are saying, no you actually need to travel further to South Port and only when you get there can you discuss details of this caravan. And if we don't sign on then we are stranded in another port miles away."

I feel like I am just being trafficked, lured to the promise land with this tale of wealth and fame but actually deceived into servitude for a pittance because my ignorance is being taken advantage of.

"It is very strange you come to North Port to recruit. Do you not have a reputation in South Port? Are there not swords-for-hire and mercenaries in that place? Your caravan and merchandise is there but you are here. Explain these enigmas."

He has a suspicion that 'we' are the merchandise.

terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#38 Post by terrymixon »

Spearmint wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:22 am Amistad

Is confused, when he gets confused his emotions have to be kept in check.

"Ma'am. I don't wish to be disrespectful. But this advert clearly says, 'North Port. Green Griffon, North Port.

Now you are saying, no you actually need to travel further to South Port and only when you get there can you discuss details of this caravan. And if we don't sign on then we are stranded in another port miles away."

I feel like I am just being trafficked, lured to the promise land with this tale of wealth and fame but actually deceived into servitude for a pittance because my ignorance is being taken advantage of.

"It is very strange you come to North Port to recruit. Do you not have a reputation in South Port? Are there not swords-for-hire and mercenaries in that place? Your caravan and merchandise is there but you are here. Explain these enigmas."

He has a suspicion that 'we' are the merchandise.
Mirek watched the conversation with interest.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by joertexas »

terrymixon wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:30 amMirek watched the conversation with interest.
The Caravan Master glances in Mirek's direction for a moment as Amistad speaks his piece, and then returns her attention to him. "My reputation is well known here in North Port. Perhaps some inquiries will ease your mind."

She looks at Adan. "What say you, Adan?"
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#40 Post by Eris »

joertexas wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:19 am The Caravan Master smiles and gestures to the empty chairs in front of her. "Well met, Amistad, Adan, and Mirek. Please, let us sit and talk for a few moments." She sits down once more and picks up her mug to take a drink. The table is clear save for her mug and a clay pitcher of water.
Aden takes one of the offered chairs and waits.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Return to “Exploring the North Lands (5e)”