OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Quest #37 "Black Metal Examination"

#321 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Consequences
Sunday, 28th of Goodmonth
Early Evening, Hot, Humid, Very Buggy

Listening to the discussion as they stuff their faces with food, one of the Beachtown commoners looks up at Wes incredulously. "You mean for us to camp here? Out in the open? We might as well stab ourselves in the heart now, before the bugs eat us alive."

Another speaks up as well. "No way I'm staying out here in the open overnight. Not when we're only a couple hour walk from home!"

A few others start measuring up the remaining distance, apparently ready to return to Beachtown as well.

Actions?

positions:
Chauncey (MU4) AC:8 12/26 CL, RM, DM 1st:0/3 2nd:0/2
Waesfaren Rhey (DR5) AC:7 33/43 1st:4/6 2nd:2/5 3rd:2/3
Greedy Grimm (F2/T3) AC:5 15/15 (Invisible)
Darklin Sylvanas (F2/MU2) AC:4 15/15 CL, RM, DM 1st:1/2
Elnaerel (CL2) AC:3 10/18 1st:0/4

Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#322 Post by Darklin2 »

Darklin

I will go as well. if I may ask a Boon in return. Does your Obadi-High allow these animals to be used for pack animals? I have a large tent and several things that I need to move from Beachtown to Clifftown. If I help could I use one of them to move my things and then release it? Either way I will help.

Chauncey, Would the island's greatest wizard care to do a little spell swapping while we have some down time here. I have a few good ones.

I feel your pain Elnaerel. I should be a 3rd level fighter but couldn't go up 2 levels from the last exploration.
All things are possible through Magic.
Darklin Sylvanas- Fighter/Magic-User - Big Shiny Island (1E)
Sai Eranthor - Cleric / Fighter/Mage - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures (2E)

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#323 Post by Jernau35 »

Wes

"Thank you Darklin. Obad Hai would have no objection with using these lizards as beasts of burden. He is god of the hunt. A wise hunter only kills what he needs and lets the rest of the herd live freely. A few lizards to work in the village will not upset the balance."

"The Stoneguts broke the balance. They captured too many of them and treated them cruelly. And now they've paid for it. Even their own gods seem to have abandoned them."

"Well, we can't keep you here," Wes says to those wanting to push on to Beachtown. "And yes, it's dangerous out here, the bugs are terrible and it's only a few miles to Beachtown."

"But it's getting dark and lots of things like to hunt in the dark. Even if you make it to Beachtown, it might not be as safe as you think: it's either going to be full of dwarves, who'll take you prisoner again, or destroyed by those rock creatures who followed the trail".

"There's a reason adventurers carry lots of weapons and stick together out here. But as I said, we can't keep you here. Seems a shame to survive the mines and then die because you can't stand some bug bites though".

When Wes gets the chance to speak to Elnaerel quietly, he asks "Those Stoneguts who captured you: weren't they waiting for you on the trail between the grasslands and the beach? We should hide our camp well tonight in case there are any still around".
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#324 Post by Karaunios »

Grimm

"I'll camp with your here, but first thing in the morning I'm going back to Clifftown! I don't think I'll be able to protect by myself these poor fellows. Your wouldn't want to take them with you in your rescue mission, would you? Damn those Stoneguts!"

Elnaerel

She remains serious through the whole trip and conversation, but focused on the task at hand. "The dwarves who captured us were hiding in the jungle that surrounds the lizards' pen. The east side was open, while the west side was surrounded by the jungle trees. It was ten or twelve of them, all armed with crossbows... And came out in the open.

If you ask me, I'm not sure if there were more of them or if they had the time to go back to the lizards. The rock monsters attacked not much later than when we arrived at the mining camp.

After what has happened, I doubt any Stoneguts aren't aware of it. If anything, some scattered groups might remain and probably their only thought now is survival. Maybe we won't find any of them, but if we do I bet they're more aggressive than before and not so willing to take prisoners.

Except if they want to join us. But I'm not that forgiving..."

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#325 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Chauncey replies to Darklin.

"I would be delighted to do a little exchange of knowledge, sir. Though it is, perhaps a task better accomplished back in the settlement – I find it so difficult to keep the midges out of my ink on the trail," he says.
I forget how long it takes to transcribe a Lvl 1 spell... is it even possible out here?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#326 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The Grueling
Moonday, 1st of Harvester
Early Morning, Warm, Humid, Very Buggy

With almost all of their magic spent, and no way to rest comfortably in order to regain spells, the group has no choice but to pull an all-nighter, heading back the way they came. Grimm stays behind to guard the townies while the others return to the lizard pens.

After several hours pass, they arrive unscathed at the clearing and set any penned lizards free. The dwarves appear to have abandoned the animals as well, since none of them are seen anywhere near the clearing on your return. Nearly half the herd safely accompany you back to the beach again, all of them floundering into the sea as soon as they arrive. The sight of it all in the buggy moonlight is something wondrous to behold.

By the time the great rescue is completed, and everyone is reunited at the end of the beach again, it is a few hours from sunrise and everyone is completely exhausted. That’s when Chauncey starts acting stranger, again. (CP, please see private thread)

Actions?

positions:
Chauncey (MU4) AC:8 12/26 CL, RM, DM 1st:0/3 2nd:0/2
Waesfaren Rhey (DR5) AC:7 33/43 1st:4/6 2nd:2/5 3rd:2/3
Darklin Sylvanas (F2/MU2) AC:4 15/15 CL, RM, DM 1st:1/2
Elnaerel (CL2) AC:3 10/18 1st:0/4

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#327 Post by Jernau35 »

Stranger? There's a way to turn the dial up to 11? :lol:

Wes

Wes looks at all the lizards drinking at the water's edge."What a wondrous sight! The thanks and blessings of Obad Hai upon all of you. And my own thanks for all your hard work and patience".

"Now, since we're all exhausted, perhaps we should rest here for a few hours then continue on to Beachtown. Then take another rest before we enter town. The place could be packed with Stoneguts if it hasn't been destroyed. It's the logical place for them to retreat to. If that's the case...."
Wes looks over at Chauncey, puzzled.

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#328 Post by Karaunios »

Grimm

The dwarf lies on a made up bed made out of bushes, resting comfortably while waiting to his friends. Despite his invisibility, his always wary and a bit paranoid, touching his horn nervously in order to make sure it's there. "Oh... Good good. It didn't take you as long as I thought. Good. Let's take a rest and go back to town as fast as possible, please." That "please" sounding more like an imperative than a request. "Wo! How many lizards. Poor animals. But with them, we can get to Clifftown way faster!"

He then looks at Chauncey, puzzled.

Elnaerel

The cleric is glad that they got to rescue many of the lizards, and without incident, no less. She wonders what might have happened to the dwarves watching over them, although with all probability, they didn't have the chance to go back to the pen before the rock monsters' attacked. She can't help thinking of Narramore again, and wonders what might have happened to Feanol and Keyon.

She then looks over at Chauncey, puzzled.

Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#329 Post by Darklin2 »

Darklin

Helps with the release of the Lizards paying close attention to one in particular to win its trust. Hopeing it will help to move his tent and belongingss to Clifftown and leave the remains of Beachtown behind. Once returning to the sea shore he releases the Lizard to swim in the ocean. Keeping watch and swatting bugs.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#330 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Chauncey loses focus and goes slack for a moment, as if listening to a voice none of them can hear.

"Er... oh," he says, noticing everyone looking at him oddly. "Just listening to... a voice none of you can hear. That is Mr. Wrenly's voice. Because I hear him in my head. He is my associate. We are friends. It's his voice," he says.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#331 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Missed this one. Sorry!

Late Morning, Hot, Humid, Very Buggy

Everyone except Darklin looks at Chauncey, puzzled. The mage seems extra distant, unconvincingly claiming that his monkey is speaking to his mind.

With the small herd of lizards nearby as lookouts, the exhausted group rests and eats so they can resupply their spells and prayers, taking most of the morning to do so. A few of the more docile giant lizards are pulled aside so they may be groomed as service animals, the druids ability to calm and communicate with them helps a great deal.

Eventually the gang is on their way towards Beachtown again, each of them riding atop their own mounts now. It is nearly midday when they arrive at the outskirts of town. They see and hear nothing that would make them expect the stone monsters are nearby. In fact, from a distance, the place seems almost deserted.

Actions?

positions:
Chauncey (MU4) AC:8 13/26 CL, RM, DM 1st:3/3 2nd:2/2
Waesfaren Rhey (DR5) AC:7 34/43 1st:6/6 2nd:5/5 3rd:3/3
Darklin Sylvanas (F2/MU2) AC:4 15/15 CL, RM, DM 1st:2/2
Elnaerel (CL2) AC:3 11/18 1st:4/4

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#332 Post by Jernau35 »

Wes

"I don't like it", Wes says softly. "Where've they all gone?" He looks out to sea, to see if the Stonegut's vessel is still out there.

"I've walked into too many traps on this island already. Obad Hai is truly testing my worthiness."

"We need to scout before we try and cross that open ground. I'll send Regan to fly over the whole town and see if there's any folk to be seen. Or dead bodies. Grimm, would you be able to scout the common houses over there for anyone hiding inside? Chauncey, can you ask Mr. Wrenly to travel along the treeline? I'm sure he'll be quick to report back anything suspicious".

"We definitely need to check out the Stonegut guardhouse at the end of the trail as well."

Thought I'd throw this in to help us visualize.
viewtopic.php?p=294684#p294684

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#333 Post by Karaunios »

Grimm

"You're right. I'm gonna take a peek. But we should leave as soon as possible and get to the damned town at the cliff!" He hops from his lizard and starts looking into the cabins taking advantage of both his invisibility and sneaking abilities.

Elnaerel

The elven cleric uses this moment of respite to heal Chauncey:

Cure Light Wounds: [1d8]=2

And herself:

Cure Light Wounds: [1d8]=6

After that she remains alert, silently praying to Ehlenestra that they all get back safe to town.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#334 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Jernau35 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:17 am Wes

Chauncey, can you ask Mr. Wrenly to travel along the treeline? I'm sure he'll be quick to report back anything suspicious".
"Wise," says Chauncey.

"Mr. Wrenly, please do as Wesley indicates, but take care to stay out of sight and out of reach. Pay particular attention to the state of my domicile. I must gather my chicken-foot brazier before we move on..." he says.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#335 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Ghostown
Moonday, 1st of Harvester
Late Morning, Hot, Humid, Very Buggy

Chauncey looks out over the horizon for the blocky dwarf ship that was anchored just off shore and sees nothing but empty shoreline. However, when Elnaerel looks out to sea, she can barely make out the vessel sailing away from the island.

The group takes precautionary measures to search the town quickly and finds almost nothing left of it. A few buildings still stand, including the shack that Wes and Chauncey shared, and Darklin's tent, but for the most part, it appears that every usable piece of lumber or rough wood has been stripped bare. Even the Treehouse has been dismantled, only scraps of what was once there remain. Wes finds his Obad Hai shrine tree, angered to see it defaced and badly damaged, partially chopped through with an ax by the looks of it. The black rock dwarf building has been rent asunder, its remains scattered all along the jungle floor.

A total of 4 people are found rummaging through some recent wreckage, though several pulpy dwarf sized puddles are scattered about the area as well. If the commoners are approached, a look of terror is still planted solidly on their faces. "What.......what...were those things?" They point at the smashed corpses of dwarves and shudder visibly.

Nothing of value remains in sight, and the group thinks that the only reason their stuff was left unmolested is that the commoners were simply afraid to anger spellcasters. Grimm finds all of the common houses dismantled, an obvious trail in the sandy ground tells the dwarf that everything that was stripped from this place must have been carried off towards the river.

Actions?

positions:
Chauncey (MU4) AC:8 15/26 CL, RM, DM 1st:3/3 2nd:2/2
Waesfaren Rhey (DR5) AC:7 34/43 1st:6/6 2nd:5/5 3rd:3/3
Darklin Sylvanas (F2/MU2) AC:4 15/15 CL, RM, DM 1st:2/2
Elnaerel (CL2) AC:3 17/18 1st:2/4

Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#336 Post by Darklin2 »

Darklin

Moves to his tent and begins digging up the buried footlocker and gathering up his tarps and hammock. Making fast work of putting all the loose items in the footlocker and once all is outside starts to take down the tent. Gathering everything in one pile he decides to walk to Max's tent to see if anything of value is still there and if the girls are still around that he was told about. Checking on his large chest that Max brought with him.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#337 Post by Jernau35 »

Wes

Wes collects a few chips of bark and some sap from the tree and cleans it up as best he can in a short time. "Obad Hai, I had little patience for the Stoneguts before. I'll be sure to make them pay for this too."

Then he heads to the shack and grabs the few items that he'd left there, along with the hammock. He also checks the farming plots for any plants that may have gone unharvested.

"Some kind of monster the Stoneguts angered down in their mine", he tells the townsfolk. "Best we leave them alone and head for Clifftown now. Grab whatever you have left and come along".

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#338 Post by Karaunios »

Grimm

While the dwarf goes across the rests of the town he keeps saying: "Nothing here." He finally decides to go back to his lizard and the group and get ready to make the way back to Clifftown. He makes sure no one's watching, even if being invisible makes that part irrelevant, when he checks to see if his horn is there.

Elnaerel

She sees Wes ruminating while looking at what's left of Obad Hai's tree: "You still will be able to rebuild it, don't worry. Regarding the Stoneguts... Probably their remnants parted on their ship. I could see it i in the distance." She pauses for a moment and looks again at the horizon. "I still believe that some little bands might have survived and are scattered through the jungle or something. But I also think our way back to town will be an easy one she we should get moving as soon as possible."

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#339 Post by Jernau35 »

Wes

"You're right. I doubt they all made it onto their ship. Well, they showed no respect for Obad Hai's Domain before. Now they'll learn to respect the jungle the hard way."

Wes also takes the time to cast healing spells on himself and Chauncey. Forget to say who got what scores :roll:

Chauncey:
Cure Light Wounds [1d8]=3

Cure Light Wounds [1d8]=4

Wes:
Cure Light Wounds [1d8]=1

Cure Light Wounds [1d8]=5

Cure Light Wounds [1d8]=1
:roll: :roll: :roll: Sorry but I have to vent about this ridiculous bloody dice roller. Roll 5d8 and come up with a total 14 out of a range of 5-40. Nine points above the minimum possible! The bloody median is 22.5. And just one roll of 5 or more. I could accept a crappy result if one of them was a 7 or an 8. At least it would show it was bloody random. It always seems to happen to Wes. He's always talking about being out of Obad Hai's favor because his healing roles are almost always sh*t. :x

I'm just going to delete the bloody macro and write another one. :roll:

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#340 Post by Karaunios »

That's the equivalent to digging a grave for the bad dice right? :lol:

I'm also pretty angry at the dice roller. Many low rolls, few average, much less high ones.

Anyway, let's move our behinds and get to town already :lol:

Return to “Completed Missions”