Quest #37 "Black Metal Examination"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Quest #37 "Black Metal Examination"

#1 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Settling In
Late Afternoon

Chauncey, Wes, and Grimm do what they can to find a good place to rest out the night so they can start their long journey in the morning. Grimm enjoys his invisibility, maybe a little more than he should, but is warned by the mage that sight isn't the only sense animals and other creatures use to locate their prey. Spying on his fellow future townies, the dwarf is slightly annoyed when most of the downtrodden commoners are still talking about Wes and how great it is to have such a powerful druid around to protect all of them.

Wes uses his magic to heal any injuries, bringing his dwarven party leader up to full strength again. He continues helping where he can and aiding the projects with his magic. Before long, there are a few shelters built that should shield them form the bugs overnight. Chauncey is quick to claim one of them for he and his friends, stating how important their mission will be and that they need to be fully rested by sunup.

If they aren't able to find any more people to fill out their group, it looks like the three of them will be able to set out first thing in the morning.

Last actions before morning?

Wes (-1 1st -1 3rd)
Chauncey (-2 1st -2 2nd)
Grimm
Liam?

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Quest #37 "Black Metal Examination"

#2 Post by Jernau35 »

I don't know about Chauncey, but shouldn't Wes' spells all be prepared now? He cast those two last night, then prayed to get them back.
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#3 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sure, you guys will start out the new day with all of your spells.

I was just waiting to see if there was anything you still wanted to do in this new town before heading out.

Once I get word that you are all ready, and you give me a direction, we can get you guys started in this one.

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Karaunios »

Grimm

Grimm won't do much other than recoil at Chauncey's severe words and heed them, relatively. He will then rest until their departure.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Chauncey is about to retire when he suddenly stops, looks around and says, "Now where has Mr. Wrenly gotten off to? I haven't seen him since before we arrived."

At that moment, as if sensing his business partner's anxiety, Mr. Wrenly appears. Surprisingly, he is wearing a tiny pair of crudely fashioned jorts, similar to Chauncey's, apparently fashioned by some of the children of the settlement as a joke. But the joke's on them; he looks good.

"Twinsies," says the wizard, rather pleased.
Is there anyone besides Liam (who seemed distinctly uninterested in the Stoneguts mission) in the settlement now? Trying to figure for timeline differences and it's making my head hurt. The cliff people may all die and never return for all we know. :?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#6 Post by OGRE MAGE »

ChubbyPixie wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:09 pm Is there anyone besides Liam (who seemed distinctly uninterested in the Stoneguts mission) in the settlement now? Trying to figure for timeline differences and it's making my head hurt. The cliff people may all die and never return for all we know. :?
Though I didn't want to do it, there is suddenly an abundance of folks in town to choose from. :lol:

Luther
The Princess (-1 first)
Wake (-1 first)
Sir Narramore

Keg Woodwright AC1 12/13
Keyon AC4 6/6
Elnaerel AC3 8/10 0/3
The Knife AC4* 2/5
Darklin Sylvanas AC4 6/8 1/1 CL, DM, RM
Feanol AC10 4/4 1/1 CL, DM, RM
Amun AC:4 9/13

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Jernau35 »

I've just been looking at the obilisk map. Figuring out (and stopping) whatever is afflicting the Stoneguts is going to have an important bearing on traveling to the obilisks.

At the minimum we would get to use Beachtown as a base again. That would save half a day of travel. And we'd probably be able to use the Logger's Trail again. (Assuming the dwarves are actually grateful for being cured/rescued/whatever :? )

Also, their mine is a jumping off point for every obilisk on that side of the circle. A group that saves them could ask to use it as a base for future expeditions.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Monsieur Rose »

The Princess

She tracks down the duo, having been unsuccessful in finding Grimm. "I hear you're spying on the Dwarves in the morning. Be careful. Those lizards have a great sense of smell, we were almost found out twice because of it. You might want to familiarize yourself with them, actually. We have two in camp." The Princess shares her story about meeting the dwarves on the trail.

"The lizards like a certain fern, Wes. Perhaps they could be distracted, if necessary." She shows the fern to Wes.

"My suspicion is that they may actually be evil. I don't fully understand the theory of ooze possession, but the ones I've met weren't possessed, just dicks. The Leader, Peanut I guess they call him, who knows? They acted honorably on the outside, but are quick to take advantage when an opportunity presents. It reminds me of a gang of hoodlums. Smug, arrogant, quick to violence, but motivated entirely by greed. I thought I could appeal to that greed, but I was wrong and things went poorly. I think the only reason they didn't storm the town was that we killed any that we fought with."

"Return safely."

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Jernau35 »

Wes

"You may well be right, Princess," Wes replies. "but perhaps the ooze is like alcohol. It brings out hidden traits and emotions that were there all along."

"You know, from what Grimm has told us, their behavior on the ship they arrived here on was exactly how you described. Which would make the possession theory unlikely. At least by the ooze".

Wes thanks her when she mentions the lizards and their fondness for the ferns. "And yes, I've seen how the Stoneguts treat those lizards. That's something else that concerns me. Very much so". His voice takes on an edge as he says this.

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Karaunios »

Grimm

"Ach, dammit! I forgot about the lizards. They'll be able to smell us, yes..." He takes an invisible hand to his invisible face. "Thanks for remembering us that, Princess. And, no, I don't think they're possessed or that they need any saving. Everyone else needs to be saved from them. They were a bunch of bastards before we came to the island and they're a bunch of bastards now. They have slaves and we have to save them, same with those animals."

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"Giant lizards, you say?" says Chauncey. "Oh, yes, the big green things. I'd love to examine one... Wesley, weren't you intimating before that your, frankly unfathomable, nature magic allowed you to pass unnoticed by animals? I assume this includes scent suppression? Are you able to pass this benefit on to others? How does nature magic work, Wesley?"

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Jernau35 »

Wes

"Yes, it does. Quite a few animals can smell a lot further than they can see. Seems an obvious oversight by whoever created the spell you've learned Chauncey."

"As for how it works...well, look around around you! This is the Realm of Obad-Hai. His essence and power runs through everything. With prayer I ask how I can best serve him, and he bestows his gifts on me."

"I suppose it might be possible to weave the two spells together. But unlikely. Apart from being two completely different types of magic, could you imagine the power a man who could pass unseen by the whole world would have? I can't believe the gods would allow it."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#13 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Great stuff here as usual.

I haven't seen anyone jumping to get on board with this group yet, (despite the obvious massive amounts of xp to be gained) so do any of you have the desire to partake in the current plaque picking party before you leave?

I am thinking it would be open to anyone after the main group has chosen theirs.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Jernau35 »

No, Wes is doing quite well for himself so far. :)

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Karaunios »

I think I have enough stress for now thinking that Elnaerel is about to die so no, thanks :lol:

But, yes, weird that no one wants to join! Do dwarves smell so bad?

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Allissa/Bonnie offered to join. :D

Just make it a quick scouting trip, and she'll help eradicate the dwarves with you next time. :SAN:

Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#17 Post by Darklin2 »

Darklin

Would like to join. Just to see if he can find his companions that the Dwarves took.
All things are possible through Magic.
Darklin Sylvanas- Fighter/Magic-User - Big Shiny Island (1E)
Sai Eranthor - Cleric / Fighter/Mage - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures (2E)

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Karaunios »

:)

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Karaunios »

Monsieur Rose wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:20 pm Allissa/Bonnie offered to join. :D

Just make it a quick scouting trip, and she'll help eradicate the dwarves with you next time. :SAN:
Yeah but she's quite the troublemaker :P

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#20 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Are any of you going to react to Darklin's request to join up with this group?

Return to “Completed Missions”