Quest #37 "Black Metal Examination"

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Quest #37 "Black Metal Examination"

#301 Post by Karaunios »

That's how I pictured it too. That they would trample the underbrush.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#302 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sure, I understand.

However, these are not elephants. An elephant can push a tree over if it wants to. These are giant lizards. They can travel in less thick areas of the forest, but they cant just push their way through the full grown trees in this area.

Like I said, this is not really all that relevant, since there are plenty of nearby trails already blazed. I just don't want to allow it here only to disallow it the next time someone suggests it.

I have already rolled for any encounters, so all I need to know right now is if anyone still wants to do anything near the mine before leaving the area.

Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#303 Post by Darklin2 »

Nope Push on to Beachtown.
All things are possible through Magic.
Darklin Sylvanas- Fighter/Magic-User - Big Shiny Island (1E)
Sai Eranthor - Cleric / Fighter/Mage - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures (2E)

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#304 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Chauncey gives the rampage at the mining camp one glance and decides not to revisit discussion of approaching the rock men. In fact, you'd think he'd never mentioned it.

"Ahem... on to Beachtown, then," he says quietly.

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#305 Post by Karaunios »

Yes.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#306 Post by OGRE MAGE »

A Rocky Retreat
Sunday, 28th of Goodmonth
Early Evening, Hot, Humid, Very Buggy

The party, the 2 giant lizards, and their freed captives make their way to the trail heading south through the jungle away from the mine and towards the beach. It takes the rest of the morning and into the afternoon before they reach the area where the lizard pens were found. Elnaerel reminds the group what they found here the day before, where the dwarves weren't treating the lizards very kindly at all. Worried about a few dwarves with crossbows, the group skirts that area as if their life depended on it, moving through the jungle at a much slower pace where they think any danger might be found.

Eventually they meet back up with the trail leading east towards the beach, which they take to ease the travel burden. Hours later, they have reached the western edge of the sandy beach, where the remains of Beachtown lies only a few miles away.

Despite any encouragement otherwise, the lizards head straight into the sea to cool themselves while taking a long drink of the salty water. The 8 freed townies look a bit confused by the sight. One of the elder members finally speaks up. "Never been here before. I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but just where on this gods forsaken island are ya taking us, anyway?"

Actions?

positions:
Chauncey (MU4) AC:8 12/26 CL, RM, DM 1st:0/3 2nd:0/2
Waesfaren Rhey (DR5) AC:7 33/43 1st:4/6 2nd:2/5 3rd:2/3
Greedy Grimm (F2/T3) AC:5 15/15 (Invisible)
Darklin Sylvanas (F2/MU2) AC:4 15/15 CL, RM, DM 1st:1/2
Elnaerel (CL2) AC:3 10/18 1st:0/4

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#307 Post by Karaunios »

Grimm

The dwarf doesn't say much. He remains attentive of their surroundings and looks on the distance. If he can be noticed, it's thanks to his footprints on the beach sand.

Elnaerel

"I imagine you've been taken prisoner by those dwarves before you came to this island, right?" Says Elnaerel. "This was the only town there was, but we decided to move it elsewhere precisely because of the Stoneguts." She points east. "That's where we're headed."

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#308 Post by Jernau35 »

Wes

Now they are out in full daylight, Wes takes a good look at the ex-slaves, peering at their grimy faces to see if he recognizes any of them. "We're headed for Clifftown, down by the Dutty river. It's being built by folks who used to live in Beachtown, but moved out when the Stoneguts took over."

"But we have two likely problems before we get there. One is Beachtown. It's either going to be full of Stoneguts or those rock creatures got there and smashed the place up...and might still be there."

"The second problem is something that I heard about this end of the beach. Somewhere along here is a patch of jungle where people have sworn they've heard someone playing a pipe. And that the music is like a charm, it makes them want to follow the music into the jungle. In fact, I think some young 'uns said they saw who was playing the music: a little grey man."

"Now that doesn't sound right at all does it? I think we need to be on our guard. And figure out a way to protect ourselves from falling under the spell of that music if we come across it".
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#309 Post by Darklin2 »

Darklin

I needed to go to Beach town anyway. My tent and a large amount of belonging are there. I have weapons that I can outfit you all with and there may be several things in Max's tent too. He was killed on out last outing so won't be needing it any more. If we go there I have room for us all and food and room to rest. Hopefully the Stoneguts haven't destroyed it all yet. I can scout ahead if you all like.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#310 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Hopefully Chauncey is content with what the rest of you decide to do.

Consequences

Elnaerel again tells the others what she has been through and what happened to her group when they tried to free the still penned lizards back in their clearing.

Wes looks over their freed prisoners, finding all of them to be tattered, hungry, badly dehydrated, and basically dying a slow, miserable death right in front of him.

The druid warns the group what they might find up ahead, slipping into the foliage to grab a few treats from a nearby fruit tree. As he struggles to make his way through the thick jungle, he wonders why he simply cant pass through the vegetation like he could earlier. When he tries to commune with his god, he is distraught to find that his powers seem to have vanished over the last few hours. :? :shock:

Actions?

positions:

Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#311 Post by Darklin2 »

Darklin

Grimm, don't you know how to operate that horn? Feed these people with it. They need to eat. Try to conjure up something.

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#312 Post by Karaunios »

Grimm

"Wha-what? Here?? In the middle of nothing? What if someone sees it and wants to rob it?" He hesitates, but decides to conjure up some food for everyone. He takes the precaution of putting some distance between him and the others and saying the command word low enough so that no one else hears it. Despite being invisible, he half hides the horn while using it. He doesn't give much thought to where the food is gonna land though.

We haven't talked about the particulars of how it works or/if Grimm knows how to operate it, so maybe I'm assuming too much.

Elnaerel

The cleric of Ehlona feels tired after the whole ordeal she's been through, despite having been cured by the druid. She decides to take a break and sits on the floor while the groups decides their course of action.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#313 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Chauncey is quite interested in the operation of the horn, but doesn't impose himself on Grimm or try to follow as his footprints move off down the beach a ways. Hecannot resist, however, and does eventually pull out his stone of See Invisible to pinpoint the dwarf. He's disappointed to learn that his lipreading skills are not very good at all.

"Is he saying Soup Smush or Rapscallions? I feel certain it is one of the two..." he mutters to himself.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#314 Post by Jernau35 »

Wes

Wes looks back into the jungle, puzzled at first. Obad Hai! Shalm! Great Guide! Where have you gone? Where have you gone?" Finally, he screams "WHERE ARE YOU? WHERE? ARE? YOU?" before collapsing onto the sand, weeping.

Eventually he sits up, tears running down his face. "Of course. The lizards I left behind. I cared too much about the ones I saved and left the others in the pens to be tortured by the dwarves.

Wes looks at the others. "I have to go back. I have to go back and rescue the other lizards."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#315 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Consequences

It doesn't take Wes long to realize the error in his ways, though it does make him rather emotional all of the sudden.

While Chauncey is trying to peep Grim finessing his horn, the invisible dwarf whispers the name "Tulkar" out loud and watches as food of all sorts start to pour forth from his gem encrusted ox horn cornucopia. With nowhere to put the food, it spills out into the sand for the most part. Darklin points to the food piling up on the beach, urging the dehydrated freed slaves to eat their fill.

Wes suddenly suggests that he needs to return to the lizard clearing to end the suffering of the caged animals they bypassed on the way here.

Actions?

positions:

Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#316 Post by Darklin2 »

Darklin

Moves offer and grabs a nice large Whole Smoked Racks of Ribs and a couple of Pineapples with some kind of round sun shade thingy in it. Goes over and sits down to enjoy getting back safe to the sea side.

Eat up and we will get you back to the town. I think Wes is having a melt down.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#317 Post by Jernau35 »

Wes

"I have to return to release the lizards. Obad Hai has cut me off from his aid until I do," Wes explains.

"I'd like to ask all of you for your help to do it. It's early evening now. If we camp here tonight, we could backtrack on our trail tomorrow morning, free the lizards and be back here tomorrow afternoon."

"If we return to Clifftown before coming back here, we'll have to risk the whole length of the beach, including passing through Beachtown twice. And then still have to walk back to the lizard pens from here. And during that time, I may not have any of Obad Hai's magic to protect us."

"My friends, I'm truly sorry to have to ask for your help with this. But I hope you will give it to me".

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#318 Post by Karaunios »

Grimm

The dwarf also sits on the sand and starts eating like there's no tomorrow, blowing and swiping with his hand the sand off the food as best he can, and even spitting chunks of it when there's too much soil in it.

He invisibly starts at Wes' words. "What? Going bad? Again? When we're finally here? Don't you understand that we have to get this invaluable treasure to safety? Now you want us to linger more in the jungle and get back to the dwarf-crushing monsters?!

I don't know. Does everyone want to go back? Because if that's the case, I'm going alone back to town. That's for sure! My invisibility will help me go faster."

Elnaerel

"I was thinking about going back for the lizards once we had the chance to recover in town. I don't they're gonna go much far in just a day. I... was thinking that I've had enough action for today... But it's true. Those lizards need help and I'm ignoring my duty to Ehlenestra...

I'm going back with you, Wes."

Damit. Elnaerel should be experience wise at level 4 once we come back, although she will level up to level 3 (too many xp). I worry that she gets killed before she can be better prepared against other dangers, but her ideals are her ideals :oops:

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#319 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Chauncey does a little math in his head.

"I have no spells. You have no spells. Hmmmm... Yet, I do have this," he says, holding up his wand. "It served me admirably in the Dwarf camp. Nevertheless, we should hide ourselves from sight if we wish to rest for the night, being so low on resources, as it were."

He approaches a bit nearer to Wes. "Er... are you quite sure it's the lizard issue causing this, Wesley? If so, I shall, of course, accompany you. You have always aided me in my need. In short, I find all of this only mildly irritating and just a bit of an imposition. All will be well." He pats the druid awkwardly on the shoulder. There is a shriek from the treetops above that may or may not be sympathy expressed by his business associate, Mr. Wrenly.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#320 Post by Jernau35 »

Wes

"I'm sure of it. Obad Hai's gifts were present for me throughout the day. It was only after I'd firmly turned my back on the animals in need that I lost them."

"Thank you Elnaerel, and Chauncey. That means a lot to me. Grimm, I understand. I can't ask you to turn back from your own mission."

"I suggest that when we've eaten our fill, we should camp a little further down the beach, away from the leftovers."

I know. If Wes makes it back he's due to hit 6th level. Stoopid Obad Hai and his stoopid rules! :lol:

Return to “Completed Missions”