WW2 Supers d6: SST 11 OOC

max_vale
max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

WW2 Supers d6: SST 11 OOC

#1 Post by max_vale »

Okay, this will serve as the OOC (Out of Character) Thread for the players of characters in the SST 11 threads.....i.e. ateno, Rex, Zhym, ybn1197, Urson and kipper.

I'm HOPING to have the first game post up later this week/next weekend.....though I'll need some help from you guys to get there...namely, characters fleshed out (some of you have already done this, thanks!)......

Okay, so the basic premise is this: This game will follow the members of Special Services Team (SST) Eleven; all of whom are either American or Canadian (with 1 possible exception) Army soldiers with super powers (i.e. 'Talents') in WW2 as they are attached to the First Special Service Force (or FSSF); though the first 'Mission Zero'; has them not knowing each other or even of the existence of the FSSF as they are taking part in the Raid on Dieppe; a port in France; in August of 1942.

During this first Mission, their powers will manifest and after the battle, they will all eventually be sent thru training and grouped together to join the FSSF.

As of right now, we have the following characters/ideas:

ATENO: plans on playing a First Nations (Canadian Native American) Soldier who gains 3 Special Powers that allow him to be more perceptive than humanly possible; be able to survive/thrive/have knowledge of natural conditions all around him than is normally possible; and to 'summon' forth a weapon that his more powerful than its human equivalent would be

REX: plans on playing a U.S. Army Ranger

URSON: plans on playing John Porcupine; a U.S. Army Ranger who is Native American (Cree) and who will have 'Earth Bender' powers that allow him to manipulate dirt/stone around him to utilize as a Shield or to 'open up a pit' or pick up stones and use as weapons, etc.

YBN1197: plans on playing a Country Boy U.S. Army Ranger

KIPPER: plans on playing a Canadian Army solider, possibly with Speedster powers....possible able to run fast across water.

ZHYM: To be determined. (Possibly being neither American or Canadian)

I THINK I have all that correct, please correct me if I do not!

Okay, so if you get the chance this week, please 'flesh out' (I don't necessarily need game stats, I can work with everyone on those after we get the concept down) these characters if you haven't done so......basically, I'm looking for a name, a few details on background and what you want your powers to be and please keep in mind, that for background/future game reasons, please have your characters have an outdoor survival and climbing/rugged living background (they were hikers/climbers and/or hunters and/or grew up in the mountains, etc., etc.).

Exampe: CPL (Corporal) Joe Schmuckatelli grew up in the mountains of Colorado and during the Depression, his family, like many others all over the world were hard hit. Losing his Father at an early age, Joe dropped out of high school and took up work as a lumberjack cutting down pines in the high passes of the Rockies for companies building roads. When the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor, 21 year old Joe enlisted in the Army the next day. After basic, he was quickly promoted because he was tough from his hard life and due to him being a little older and having been forced to be more mature than most kids/young men his age. He was soon serving in the 1st Armored Division and his unit was one of the first sent to England in early '42. While there he saw an 'Ad' calling for men to try and join a new Special Unit called the Rangers and he eagerly joined up. After making it thru the brutal training, he would be among the first of 'Darby's Rangers' (the 1st Ranger Battalion). He would be among the 50 something U.S. Rangers selected to accompany the British Commandoes and Canadian soldiers on the Raid on Dieppe in August......there his Energy Blast and Hyper Strength powers would manifest themselves....

Something like that!

kipper
Ranger
Ranger

Re: WW2 Supers d6: SST 11 OOC

#2 Post by kipper »

Philippe "Phil" Heuron

Growing up in far northern Quebec near Hudson's Bay, he is well versed in snowshoeing, skiing, snowmobiling, cold weather survival, etc. Upon joining the army, he was streamlined towards the Special Services due to his outdoor skills and being a native French speaker.

Moderate Power: Super Fast Runner
Minor Power: Walk on Water

Not sure how useful cold weather skills will be in North Africa and Italy, but there it is!
Last edited by kipper on Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by max_vale »

Excellent, thanks kipper!

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by max_vale »

Does anyone want/not mind playing an NCO (i.e. SGT) or Officer? One of you WILL be one or the other.....while the other can be an NPC.

kipper
Ranger
Ranger

#5 Post by kipper »

I don't really mind... If Phil was an officer, then he'd be older and the "cold weather" background would be just background and not really important to his current skillset, so it might actually make more sense? Just thinking out loud.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by max_vale »

Either way works......by "Officer", I'm thinking mostly a 2nd or 1st LT, so somebody in their early to mid 20s most likely.....any kind of NCO or enlisted man could basically be the same age......the war started in '39 for Canada and '41 for the US; the 'Mission Zero' adventure will happen in August of '42....so if people just joined up when the war started, they'd only have been in for a few months to a couple of years....if that makes sense.

kipper
Ranger
Ranger

#7 Post by kipper »

I know nothing about the army (in case that's not already apparent), so from that perspective my character is better off as a new recruit! But I really don't mind one way or the other.

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#8 Post by ateno »

Well I know I won’t be a officer, maybe a corporal. But that would be it.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Zhym »

I know nothing about the military either, so maybe I’m the perfect LT player? ;)

kipper
Ranger
Ranger

#10 Post by kipper »

@ Max: I'd like to change/tweak my character's powers a bit, so it will require some more adjusting. Here is what I've got:

1) Instead of simply running fast, I would like my character to be able to "Freeze Time" around himself within a limited area, so that everything inside moves at only half-speed (except Phil), thus causing him to move fast but only relative to everything else inside the area. The side effects of this power are (i) Harmless frost builds up on everything, the more frost the longer the power is used, so it's not subtle or stealthy, people will know something strange is happening; and (ii) Phil will get colder and colder the longer the power is used, eventually causing frostbite and even hypothermia to himself (others in the area are unaffected, except by the harmless frost noted above). How large exactly is the "limited area" and what the time limit is on the use I will leave it up to Max to decide. If this is too powerful, perhaps instead he can Freeze Time within a fixed (not mobile) limited area? Or perhaps the area is fixed (but at some distance away, not surrounding Phil) and everything inside moves at half speed (including Phil if he chooses to enter the area)?

2) Instead of simply walking on water, he actually freezes the surface of the water under his feet so that he can walk on top. How long the freezing lasts (or whether the water immediately thaws behind him so that none can follow), how much area is affected by the freezing, and how much weight he could carry, I will leave up to Max to decide. The rate of freezing would limit him to walking speed (or even slower for game balance?)

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by max_vale »

Okay, so a couple of things.....let me know if this 'tracks' with everyone....

Kipper's Canadian Character might be the NCO or Officer

Zhym's as well.....

Kipper: As for the proposed change....it would be easier from my perspective if Phil was just 'Fast' as opposed to having to worry about Time-stops....but in game term effects, it certainly be described that way....i.e. like the Flash or Quicksilver in recent movies.....and if it's a Moderate or Major Power, the 'quirk' is that it leaves frost.....easiest way I can think to rule it would be something like this:

-Moderate Power: Super Speed: When this power is active, Phil runs at speeds up to 100mph (6D if a roll is needed vs. a vehicle) which adds +15 to the Difficulty of anything trying to hit him specifically (but also can make certain tasks that much more difficult...i.e. shooting somebody or grabbing something while moving this fast) and Phil can move up to 100 yards in a Round..he can ram into people/objects and inflict up to 6D damage (2D Vehicle...if the Vehicle is something light like a motorcycle)....but doing so can also harm Phil....he can Scale his attacks (i.e. is he just 'pushing' or is he full body-checking)....he can hit something and do 4D+2 with no ill effect to himself; or he can hit for 5D while taking 3D+2 damage; 5D+1 taking 4D damage; 5D+2 taking 4D+1 damage or a maximum of 6D taking 4D+2 damage himself. He can hit 1 or 2 targets a turn while using this attack. He can utilize Melee Weapons while using Super Speed, but NOT Guns or Missile Weapons. He CAN drop/place/pickup an object, but cannot do anything else that same round. While Phil is using this ability, he leaves a trail of light frost on anything he touches/picks up/on the ground near him.

-Minor Power: Run on Water: When Phil activates this power, he may run on the surface of water as if it were solid ground. He can do this at normal speed or if his Super Speed is active; at super speed.

How's that sound? Sorry....I don't want to have to worry about Time being stopped, etc. I hope that's cool!

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Rex »

Can we start a list of powers everyone has? I have no clue what I am going with at this point.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by max_vale »

Okay, so far we have:

ateno's character: 'Earth Bender'....his Power will allow him to manipulate earth/rock as a Shield or to attack up to 3 targets or create a pit that can affect up to 3 people or 1 vehicle....

kipper's character: Super Speed, Running on Water

Urson's character: In essence, Hyper Perception, Ability to function normally in any Weather/Terrain conditions and an Axe attack much like Gurung's Energy Khukuri

Zhym's character: Not decided yet, but perhaps a 'Druid type' with abilities to calm/befriend animals; control plants and control the weather

Rex and ybn1197: ?

I hope that helps?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Zhym »

It's probably better if don't play the officer. I'm often lagging other posters and can tend to fall back on my character looking for orders because it's easier for me to play that way with limited time. If people were looking for me to tell them what to do, the game would probably get held up.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by max_vale »

Okay....I THINK I have an idea for an NPC Officer.....so kipper or Rex can play the NCO...if that works?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Rex »

I can be the NCO. Not sure on powers yet, still thinking.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by max_vale »

No worries and thanks!

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Rex »

What would the benefit be to a heightened Dex? So when active it would boost all Dex Skills by +?. Or would it need to be by the individual Skill?

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#19 Post by ateno »

Ok, first, switch the powers for ateno and Urson above. :)

Koda, as he is known to his compatriots is 5' 6" tall of light to medium build. Deep black hair with a flat face and lessened features.
Being a member of the 'People of the Ice'. the Sikumlut he was on the edge of the colonization effort by the whites.
He was able to take part in the trading and learned a bit of english and french. One day his father a Shaman in the tribe told him of the
whites 'bathing in blood' that was happening and that I should witness it and that it would make me a stronger person
to come back and lead the peoples as the Shaman. With the Canadian government being forced to recognized the indigenous
as federal citizens in 1939 which allowed Koda to join the military and after a bit of bureaucracy he was assigned to the 2nd Canadian division,
4th Canadian Infantry Brigade, Royal Regiment of Canada. After a bit more of language training and basic his unit was assigned as garrison to Iceland.
From there Churchill had them moved to England for further operations.
Because of his background he calls himself a spirit warrior.
Last edited by ateno on Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Urson »

I know nothing about the military either, so maybe I’m the perfect LT player?
You and every other 90-day wonder to come out of ROTC.... :lol:
FA FO

Return to “WW2 Supers d6”