Barrowmaze III: Grave Returns.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Barrowmaze III: Grave Returns.

#741 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Rex wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:01 pm Orgoth

"True. Maybe we should make a trip to Iron Motte?"
Sven nods at the idea. "I have thought of that myself, but that takes us away from the dungeon as well. Lets see if we can find a local buyer. If not......Road Trip!"

redwarrior wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:43 pm I'm good with growing the party's reserve/bank. Isvand would like the 10 silver tipped arrows, and is happy to reduce his share 10 gp (PHB price is 1 gp per). I think the cloak should definitely be identified before being apportioned.
I would think Isvand could take those without worry of compensation. They were silver tipped, but not magical, I believe.

Sven is in the process of Identifying the cloak, so we will need to see how that works out.

Gerdal can do the same with the goblet. I am pretty curious about that item as well. :mrgreen:

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#742 Post by sastaz »

Are you casting Identify yourself or paying for it? Gerdal doesn't have that spell...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#743 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Oh, sorry, I thought she did.

I was casting it myself, the day after we return. But Sven only has one 100gp pearl, so he could help with the goblet too, but only if we can find another pearl.

You may have noticed that the second spellbook wasn't actually a spellbook per se, so lets discuss some spell sharing at some point. Especially the Unseen Servant you suggested earlier. :D

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#744 Post by sastaz »

Aha! Is it possible to "purchase" an Identify in Helix, or not? Do you know?

While composing my main post, let's have a small spell thread as you suggest.

Gerdal already owns
- 1st lvl Scroll - Unseen Servant
- 3rd lvl Scroll Feign Death & Tongues

Knievel's spellbook contains (apart from essays about Nergal)
- Research fragment 3rd lv spell: Polymorph into Bat form
- Research fragment 3rd lv spell: Charm Undead
- New 1st lv spell: Vampiric touch
- New 1st lv spell: Witchsight

So... basically we've found two lv 1 spells and two fragments of lv 3 spells, let say they count as half a spell scroll each. So 1,5 spell scroll to Gerdal and 1,5 to Sven, if they split. If Gerdal can have Knievel's spell book (Sven "gives" her 1,5 spells) Sven can have Unseen Servant and Tounges from Gerdal? (Yes I know it might not be possible to "split" a scroll, but let's assume we switch ownership of one of them.) You can have Feign death instead of Tounges of course, but Feign death seems more warlock:y to me wheras Tounges is more academic/arcane.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#745 Post by Spearmint »

The two spells Polymorph into Bat-form and Charm Undead both are incomplete and need research and study to finalise and most likely test prove.

Identify is a mage spell. I think Mazzah presented his Identify terms to Sven in an earlier conversation. Other mages (characters) do pass by the tavern and you could approach them when in town.

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#746 Post by sastaz »

Gerdal

"I'd be happy to fund a hog roast, I think we're worth it after all that we've been through. You know, bathing in rot grubs, shoving our hands into jellies. Let me try to come up with some inspiration for the Bard Bublé, I think I'm up to it! I will try to fetch one of those pearls. And if I do Sven, maybe you will identify this goblet for me?"

She clears her throat and addresses the other three in the core group.

"I....I picked up one or two things as we were in the barrows. The things the priests do to divert the pain and even heal wounds. I....how to explain this...I don't think that there needs to be a deity per se involved. The powers used, the gestures....I should be able to perform the same thing using one or two of my salves. Also, and don't get spooked now Sven, I experienced some sort of sensation when communing with the ... ehrm ... goddess in one of the mausoleums. I'm telling you, it's possible for me to achieve the same results. It's like venom but in reverse. Anyway, I thought you should know, but maybe I keep a low profile not to scare of the holy crusaders in the team?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#747 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Since we can’t use the higher level spells yet, Sven is happy to attempt to transpose the Unseen Servant scroll into his book so it can be used as a spell. I will need to read up on the details of how to do that again first though. Gerdal can have all the spells from Knievels book, since she is practically evil herself now anyway. :lol:

Sven nods his orange head.

“The pig party sounds good, but let’s remember to keep as low a profile as possible about our group, please. We don’t need the taxman to come calling, or anyone worse either.”

“I would be happy to help with the goblet if we can acquire the necessary components. Mazzah could do it too, but his price is firm at 200 gold coins.”

Sven tries not to overreact when Gerdal finally spills her beans, but his eyes clearly widen at this new revelation.

“Okay, sure. I’m sure this will all be fine. We have two members who sold their souls in a card game, and now they have enough power to summon lightning somehow. One of them has turned into a kleptomaniac and steals from the party when we aren’t looking. Seems perfectly normal. And now one of us reveals that she communes with an evil deity who has promised her the power of…….wait for it…….non religious healing?”

“Why not? We are all either going to go completely insane, or become bloodthirsty cult leaders someday anyway……. But ah…..yes! Please keep that little experiment from our clerics for the time being. And probably everyone else.”
:lol:

I can’t wait to see how this turns out! :mrgreen:

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#748 Post by Spearmint »

Just an aside to learning new spells. Here is the house rule.
1. Transcribe from Another Spellbook

Spells written in another spellcaster's book are completely useless to you, until they have been transcribed into the magic-user's own magical idiom. To transcribe spells in this way, translating the necessary symbols and formulae into a new spellbook, requires the Read Magic spell, one empty page (standard spellbooks have 25 pages and can be purchased to have up to 50), two days, and +50gp in materials per spell level. These days must be spent with uninterrupted access to the source text, and the end result is automatic success in transcribing the spell.
So, I am not asking you to roll vs the intelligence know spell %.

So to learn the two spells in Knievel's book would take four days and 200gp. I have yet to think of a reason you both could not transcribe the same spells, even Mazzah. So does that affect how you divide plunder?

In that sense, what is the book worth? At least 400gp in spell materials value, including the two half researched 3rd level ones.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#749 Post by Spearmint »

I can’t wait to see how this turns out!
you can see how it turns out. Just look on the tavern verandah.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#750 Post by OGRE MAGE »

:? :SAN:

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#751 Post by sastaz »

A little tapping into cosmic powers beyond mortal comprehension never hurt anyone!

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#752 Post by sastaz »

Spearmint wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:26 pm So to learn the two spells in Knievel's book would take four days and 200gp. I have yet to think of a reason you both could not transcribe the same spells, even Mazzah. So does that affect how you divide plunder?

In that sense, what is the book worth? At least 400gp in spell materials value, including the two half researched 3rd level ones.
Right, a spell book is not consumed but can be transcribed several times... So then I think Knievel's spell book should be taken out of the plunder division entirely and anyone willing can copy spells at their leisure. Even Mazzah, as maybe part of some trade deal with him? Maybe we can let him transcribe the spells within and then ask to store the book in his tower? Gerdal would still like to research the two level 3 spells when she gets to a level where she can cast those. If we are not transformed to green slime before that.

I have not decided what Gerdal will do with her week downtime yet, depending on how things turn out, she might spend some time transcribing those spells to her own spellbook.

But Spearmint, how does that work now? If someone transcribes a scroll to a spell book, the scroll is consumed. But after that, everyone can transcribe the same spell from that caster's spellbook? If the caster permits it of course. Is that the intention of the rules?

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#753 Post by Spearmint »

Well, in general, player's often swap spells by nature of adding to their arsenal. The only limit on spells is from intelligence which gives a max number of spells known (or can be memorized) though you could own in spellbooks numerous more.

NPC's do not have the same share and share alike attitude, most are decidedly selfish with their knowledge and copying from their spell books very rare.

However through roleplay, reciprocal exchange can take place, such as using Mazzah's laboratory or returning him a favour in exchange for spell casting.

Casting a spell is also subject to material compounds. I am going to be strict with interpretation of that within reason. For example to cast Identify uses a pearl with a minimum 100gp value. And such pearls are not 'off the shelf' items but become available on an ad-hoc basis while the clam fishers search for them.

In that way, securing the clam fisheries from Moorwash creature danger might ensure a steadier and more personal supply.

Learners also need to invest time and finances in any spell transcription which might also limit what you can do at any one time.

But you as a player have control over your own spell book, so you get lend it out freely as a character choice.

Just don't lose your spellbook. A wise man might consider duplicating his spell book as an insurance against fire, theft or damage.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#754 Post by OGRE MAGE »

A couple of days later, Sven shows up looking quite tired and totally drained.

“All I learned from my lengthy magical scrying is that the cloak provides minor protection. (+1) I assume it might do more, but like normal, my luck and my spell ran out.” (sorry, 2 more failed die rolls) :roll:

Ok, folks. Our last item up for auction appears to be a Cloak of Protection +1 (and possibly more?) I assume this can be worn by anyone? (I’m not sure if Sven can use this in conjunction with his current leather coat.)

Gerdal is an obvious choice, especially since she tried it on first. But depending on what the goblet does, that would make 2 magic items going to the same character.

Isvand maybe? I think Orgoth has something pretty special with the ingot and Isvand only got the scroll. (which is pretty much party treasure anyway)

This might not be a popular suggestion, but a nice gesture for our NPC crew might be to offer it to Amos? He has earned something nice and it would look good to the others, I think.

Thoughts?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#755 Post by Rex »

My vote is to offer it to Isvand first, if he doesn't want it I am fine with giving it to Amos.

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#756 Post by redwarrior »

sastaz wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:30 am A little tapping into cosmic powers beyond mortal comprehension never hurt anyone!
Never goes wrong!

Isvand would love the cloak, if Gerdal doesn't want it, or the goblet is really awesome!

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#757 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Why don’t we have Isvand take the cloak, and give his scroll of protection to Amos, since he’s just carrying it anyway. Win/win.

Does that sound feasible to everyone?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#758 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sven is glad to see everyone willing to compromise on the split again.

“I did some research on the rotgrub elfs tome and it’s not a spell book at all. There is still value there, just not as I first anticipated. I have decided to put some time into studying it in detail, but that will take up a great deal of continuous time for me. So, I am hesitant to do it before the moors freeze over again, since we have been on a pretty good roll with our liberation endeavors lately.”

“I want to transpose a couple of spells into my book before we leave again. That will take me a few days of time, but not more than a week. Does a one week timeframe for our next departure sound good to everyone else?”
I think that puts us somewhere in the vicinity of the 20th?

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#759 Post by redwarrior »

That works for me. I'll delete the scroll and add the cloak.

Isvand speaks up I did some... research, and this mace is magical, but it's a bit on the large side for me, and I don't really know how to use a mace... might it be better used by Orgoth? Isvand is skilled with a morningstar, but this is a footman's mace +1, leaving me at -1 due to non-proficiency. I could keep it as a "needs magic to hit" weapon, but if anyone else can use - Orgoth or Amos, that would make sense, as I have magical ranged weapons. To be clear, Isvand is more than happy to keep it, just want to make sure we're being smart with the party as a whole.
Last edited by redwarrior on Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#760 Post by Spearmint »

A blunt headed mace on a long thick wood shaft with a rigid head that has many iron flanges.
This was the sort of thing I tried to describe and I am fine to go with it being a one handed weapon.

Attachments
Shadow blunt headed Mace
Shadow blunt headed Mace
images.jpeg (3.01 KiB) Viewed 436 times

Return to “Completed Expeditions”