Barrow Mounds: Hallowed Ground expedition

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Barrow Mounds: Hallowed Ground expedition

#161 Post by Spearmint »

fate does in fact intervene ...

Just checking if you have a 1st Aid kit that might be used to heal you I remember writing this from the expedition intro:
Studded black leather gloves complete the vogue outfit.
so you do not in fact absorb the poison but perhaps from sniffing the paint you pass out temporarily.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#162 Post by Stirling »

Vann Hector

Glad he only succumbs to the poison temporarily as it gets absorped by sniffing the powder. He will keep the toad pouched and not take it out again. A surprise for anyone thinking of pilfering from his pocket.

Okay, so what decision are we making. Shall we stay or shall we go?

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#163 Post by Spearmint »

Barrow Moor, south of Helix, Duchy of Aerik.

4.10pm. Windy conditions, light rain.
Light: Exterior visibility limited to 60'ft through thick mist.
Interior: Flaming torches in wall (x4)
Vann Hector -4hp, Savant -3hp, Tamson -2hp, Reuben -2hp. Eldon -2hp, Dalin -3hp.
Effects: none.

The group begin a detailed search of the alcoves, checking and rechecking for any further secret doors or hidden niches. Even the stone coffin gets pushed and shoved aside to see if it hides any vault. But nothing is found that might open with the key you have.

Reuben attends to Vann Hector after his near poisoning. He establishes that the venom was probably quite old from laying dormant on the pottery toad but suspects the item may be crafted that way rather than just coated in the poison. "There are such amphibians on the Moor who leech such drool onto their skins to protect from predators." he says with some authority. Unknown to the priest is that after recovery, the elf ditches a sack containing the alleged cursed gargoyle skull into the mist.

Tamson stands guard over the outside where you have a number of jars. Nothing approaches in the mist though 'scuttling' in the grass and 'perhaps a torch far away' are his up to date reports.

Eldon, Savant & Dalin complete their surveys. You can take a sack of odd trinkets and items, mostly bric-a-brac that you could hawk cheaply on a market bazaar from the alcoves. There are no more rat purses or gems, jewelry or distinct items of value.

By late afternoon, you can decide you next course of action. As Vann Hector suggested. Do you go or do you stay?

actions please

LordKane77
Guide
Guide

#164 Post by LordKane77 »

Savant seems uneasy, but says...

"Don't know this area, unless someone tells me it's bad to stay, digging in seems safer. We can bring those urns back in as well."

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#165 Post by Stirling »

Vann Hector

"I think we can do this. Make the chamber secure. Reuben if you need to sanctify a place to regain your vocation, why not this one?"

He agrees to stay and makes some fortification by the entrance.

"There is that body by the excavated area with the spike through his chest. Do we unspike him and at least stick the body in this stone coffin to give him some respect? I am thinking the dead body will attract vermin and other things outside and we want less notice not more. We keep the lid on the coffin and Sarge sleeps on it just so if any unlikely knocking is heard we are prepared. What do you guys think?"

LordKane77
Guide
Guide

#166 Post by LordKane77 »

"I'm for leaving spiked corpses spiked. Use the coffin lid and the broken stone door to reseal the front. I have spikes to try to secure it. No torches in the main room. We sleep in the secret room in torchlight, two people on watch on opposite sides of the room. Bring the urns in and search them in the process."

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#167 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Dalin merely shrugs "I'm rather indifferent in the matter. I'm good either way stay or go as long as I'm alive I'm happy for the most part. Now as to the spiked body I didn't know the person so cannot say if they were good or bad, but unspike and lay to rest even if that means merely burial by pyre is better than leaving them as is."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

torkill
Tracker
Tracker

#168 Post by torkill »

Eldon tapped his hand on his thigh and the big dopey dog plodded to his side. "A sleepover with the dead could be interesting. At least if we secure the door they will be trapped in here with us. Maybe we can play a game of bones with them?"

I am good with fortifying the tomb and spending the night.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#169 Post by Spearmint »

Barrow Mounds, south of Helix, Duchy of Aerik.

May 9th 1066.
3.00am. light breeze, dry conditions.
Interior of Mound: Lanterns.
Vann Hector -4hp, Savant -3hp, Tamson -2hp, Reuben -2hp. Eldon -2hp, Dalin -3hp.

The group set out to plan for the evening. The jars retrieved from outside and revalued, compared to others hanging on the walls. With lots of shapes and sizes facing you but no expertise in the matter, it is a case of 'deal or no deal' if anyone wishes to chance an upgrade on their jar of choice. if you do give me another random d20 roll.

The entrance stone is roughly pieced back together. By consensus the dead body is unspiked and carried to be placed inside the stone coffin.

Rations shared and camp set, bedrolls and blankets arranged around the walls or in the secret chamber. A guard rota decided by short straw or volunteers, stationed in the entrance alcove giving the best view of any intruders.

Reuben begins his ritual cleansing of the mound, mumbling in repetitive prayers and chalking Yggish sigils on the walls. He lights some votive candles, the incense filling the chamber but without the sweet smelling but choking effect of the purple moss spores.

All goes well for several hours but ...
During the hours when Dalin the dwarf and Eldon the halfling keep their two hour guard stretch, you hear the stone grating and crumbling out side the seal. Is that footsteps on the gravel and pottery shards spread out the entrance? Your infravision from the alcove gives a faint hint of body heat, of bodies heated by the seal. There is some whispered noise, carried down the passage that the rogues strain to hear. A hoarse chirping and some odd quickly spoken mishmash of common vocabulary and stunted halfwords.

what would you pair like to do?

if you imagine the original stone seal as a rectangle door shape fractured by Reuben with a crack down the middle and then one half broken into quarters. So who ever is outside has taken a couple of those loose broken bits off to be able to peer inside.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#170 Post by Stirling »

Vann Hector

Sleeping with his boots on ready, blanketed in his cloak and crossbows loaded at hand. Waiting for a kick to awake him.

GreyWolfVT

#171 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Dalin moves over to where Vann is resting and wakes him alerting him quietly to what he and Eldon heard.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

torkill
Tracker
Tracker

#172 Post by torkill »

Eldon makes his way to Savant's side and wakes him. He puts a finger to his lips signaling to stay quiet then points toward the entrance. Then he draws his sword and dagger and finds a corner to hide in.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#173 Post by Spearmint »

May 9th 1066.
3.10am. light breeze, dry conditions.

Determining not to issue any challenge to the figures slowly dismantling the entrance, Eldon and Dalin choose to rouse the others. They dowse lanterns and take positions to ambush any sneakers. Tamson readies his bow and shelters behind the coffin. Reuben draws a flail and stands by the wall.

tell me where your character goes and if you challenge the intruders.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#174 Post by Stirling »

Vann Hector

Grabs his black tricorn and fixes his bandana across his face, turning his coat collar up. I will try and blend into the background, using the amphora jars in the wall to squeeze into and try to hide in the shadows and darkness.

When anyone appears from the passage end he will trigger both his crossbows which he is holding out in front of him, waiting for the figures to appear.

Vann Hector: Hides in Shadows vs 20% [1d100]=69Vann Hector: triggers hand-held crossbows (dual-wield penalty) [1d20-1]=9-1=8 [2d4]=7 [1d20-3]=6-3=3 [2d4]=6

I don't think either are very successful.

GreyWolfVT

#175 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Dalin looks for a spot to hide himself and loads his crossbow with a normal bolt. The dwarf fires at any foe that he can see if they enter.

Light Crossbow [1d20]=20 to hit, [2d4]=6 dmg
Last edited by GreyWolfVT on Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LordKane77
Guide
Guide

#176 Post by LordKane77 »

Savant stands just a bit down the stairs in the secret room, bow in hand, sword and shield as ready as they can be. The idea is that his full body isn't exposed to anyone shooting back, but he should still draw attention that would allow others to backstab as he gets charged. He looses the second anyone steps to the end of the hallway where it meets the alcove.

If shots happen......

Short Bow [1d20]=7 ---> [1d6]=6 Dmg
Short Bow [1d20]=18 ---> [1d6]=1 Dmg

If a second set of shots is available....

Longsword [1d20]=19 ---> [1d8]=2 dmg
Short Bow [1d20]=4 ---> [1d6]=5 Dmg

If shots can't happen, or happen and he draws enemies close - drop bow, sword shield....

Longsword [1d20]=1 ---> [1d8]=3 dmg

Sorry I don't actually know how to use my longsword, guys. I promise to practice if I don't die stabbing myself.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#177 Post by Spearmint »

Then he draws his sword and dagger and finds a corner to hide in.
I will carry on with this action from Eldon.

May 9th 1066.
3.20am. light breeze, dry conditions.

The party hide for a few minutes of tension. Certainly something has slowly and with little noise taken a few bits of the smashed stone door down to creep in the short passage. Humanoid figures that move slow and deliberately. One waves a hand over the floor as if checking the passage of booted feet. Another investigates the burned alcove of moss, tasting and sniffing the remnants. When one figure reaches the chamber and peers from the darkness it suddenly emits an alarm call. Too late, several shafts ping around the walls as a flurry of arrows and bolts target the creature. Savant, Tamson & Vann attack.

The combined fury is fatal. Dalin can kiss his crossbow after a bullseye takes the leading figure in the sternum. Another arrow and the creature drops without another word. As his companion reaches to grab his shoulder and drag him away, another critical from the young ranger drops him also. Reuben bashes his brains in. Two more figures behind them flee, kicking the stone door on their way out.

Reuben [1d20+2]=19+2=21 Mace [1d6]=2 Tam longbow [1d20+3]=20+3=23 [1d6]=3 [1d20+3]=13+3=16 [1d6]=1

By the time you run down the passage to the entrance, those pair have disappeared in the mist.

You can check out the intruders. The are a strange hybrid of humanoid features. A half goblin face melds into a scaly serpentine temple and cranium yet the body is hairy like a dog on one side and has human arms and legs on the other. The second figure is similarly mongrelised, with thin spindly legs like a frog but bulky from the torso up like a barrel chested dwarf.

They carry little leather satchels that contain food items, preserves, bulbs of swamp bullrushes and berries and some fresh 'bushmeat'. Each has a short sword and two sharpened bamboo like javelins. They carry no other treasures or coins.

actions please

GreyWolfVT

#178 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Dalin wonders a moment "Some sort of native creature kind of like the lizardmen we faced, Vann do you think maybe?"

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#179 Post by Stirling »

Vann Hector

"Never seen the like of these before. I have heard of zombies and animal zombies. Even creatures stitched together from separate parts and animated but these look well ... bred that way. They bleed red same as you and I. Not undead. They are warm bloodied. Communicated to each other so intelligent to a degree. Barrow hybrids? What else does this mist hide?"

He thinks we should leave the bodies in the passage and leave at or just before first light. Even now could be an option. Better than waiting if the hybrids return reinforced.

"We could always track them. Follow their trail but that just might lead to unwanted trouble."

Priest. You done herein? Enough holy words said? Now you have some sacrificial blood as well."
he says addressing Reuben and his vocational call to bless a mound. He doesn't actually believe any sanctification has taken place, not being a great believer in any religion himself. But if he has done his devotions, then I would like him to lay hands on the injured before we leave.

LordKane77
Guide
Guide

#180 Post by LordKane77 »

Savant picks up the short swords. He puts one through his belt. "I am trained in such weapons. Anyone else?"

If no one else wants one, he puts the other in his pack.

"We have to stay here. Corpses outside. This is defensible. Let's reset the door."

Return to “Completed Expeditions”