Town Crier: (DM's announcements)

Spearmint
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Town Crier: (DM's announcements)

#41 Post by Spearmint »

Hello all.

I am on a long drive today, from Leicestershire to the Isle of Wight, (no undead there except drunken tourists), but will be away from keyboard for much of today and Saturday.

Schools out for Summer! So a few days weeks off. I don't teach but the missus does.

I will be back with updates soon.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by Spearmint »

Helix, Market Square.

July 1st 1066.

In a dramatic turn of events, the mid-morning hustle and bustle of the market is broken by the pipes and drums of the Militia guards, marching two prisoners to a grisly and very public fate.

"Nergalites: Guilty of heinous crimes, treason and necromantic heresy." the Town Crier tolls his bell, announcing the forthcoming execution of the two captives brought to the Manse for interrogation. Decimus, Captain of the Duchy guards and Vicar Othar lead the solemn procession which halts at the wooden stage that had previously been erected for the punishment of the Sauron Soothsayer.

Now it has two metal gibbet cages hanging either side of a flat table. It takes little imagination to realise how the table is to be used once a hooded executioner unfurls a leathered pouch of sharp and wicked tools.

The crowd are 'entertained' to one's internals and string of sausages being disembowelled before the Nergalite is dragged off the table by a noose and strung up inside the gibbet. Hanging high for public shame and display.

The second is tied to the table but before summary justice can begin, the man jerks and dies.

Mazzah walks by the back of the crowd, whistling nonchalantly, rubbing his fingers, hot from some arcane casting. He at least favours a quick death whatever the nature of the accused's crimes.

The summer day of resplendant sunshine and soft breeze becomes suddenly darkly overcast. Heavy drops of rain fall, man and beasts run for cover except for a flock of carrion crows that come to perch upon each gibbet, "Caw, caw" they squawk incessantly until chased off by crossbow totting guards.

The bodies are left up all day, the unseasonal rain continuing heavier and saturating the ground in deep puddles. Once the bodies are cut down, the rain stops. The church deal with the bodies, cremating them and scattering their ashes beyond the village bounds.

Attachments
Nergalites in the Gibbets
Nergalites in the Gibbets
IMG_20230726_125059.jpg (125.74 KiB) Viewed 1535 times

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by Spearmint »

As a review, (I am triaging various background, setting and House Rules). Mages and Illusionists who make a successful spell retention check, usually [4d6+1/spell level] vs Intelligence will find that each subsequent casting of a retained spell adds a further +1 to the Retention check.

This is no encourage more Arcane study and considerations as to if casting a particular spell sooner rather than later is more appropriate.

Remember too, that due to the eerie Barrowmaze atmosphere, a further +1 penalty is incurred on any spell check.

Example: Sven in Bogtown cast Magic Missile. He then does a spell check, [4d6+1] vs Intelligence. Succeeding he may cast it again but the this time his Retention check is [4d6+2]

In the Barrowmaze rather than Bogtown, the above would be [4d6+2] and [4d6+3].

To balance this difficulty creep, characters may modify checks to their advantage via class skills, arcane foci, enchanted items giving a bonus to the skill check.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by Spearmint »

Housekeeping

As folk adventure, it is natural to get treasure, coins, gems, gear, supplies, trinkets, etc.

Could everyone please remember to triage their character sheet Inventory of used items, especially when it relates to 1st Aid Kits and Potions as these are single use items.

Can folk adjust for any used items and even items given to charity, sold or used as tribute.

I don't really track encumbrances but do want folk to be aware of some dynamics so characters aren't overloaded; bearing shields, weapons, sacks of goodies, lanterns, nocked bows. You have two hands (!), so can carry two items or wield one two-handed weapon (bow, crossbow, Quarterstaff).

on a base level I allow Belt Pouches for spell books and components, potions and holy water, thieves tools. A weapon sheathed at each hip, something over a shoulder (bow & quiver, coiled rope & grapnel, shield) and two carried items. Everything else is back-packed.

Attachments
encumbrance-four.jpg
encumbrance-four.jpg (12.75 KiB) Viewed 1494 times

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by Spearmint »

The Town Crier tolls his bell, announcing notices for Helix and beyond in his dulcet tones.

I will be away for much of this weekend, 18-21st Aug and over the following weekend's Bank Holiday 25th - 28th, so I will update each thread before the weekend and each in-between.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Spearmint »

On train to get back home now. Will update threads later.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by Spearmint »

Sept 1st and my wife's birthday. I won't give the good lady's age away. Suffice to say I am a toyboy with two and a half years between us and she reminds me that she will hit retirement and a life of leisure before I do!

Retirement! I think death by nagging or over excitement may get me first now that I am well into a year of remission from my lymphoma.

So in celebration, having given out Barrowmaze anniversary trinkets last time, I will simply cut a Birthday Cake of sponge with jam and cream layered with XP. Cannot light the cake with candles, too many is a fire hazard, so she gets to turn off a string of festive light bulbs instead!

I have added +100xp to each player and updated the public record.

Next bonus will be Christmas unless I get a winning hurdler before then.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by Spearmint »

Hello players:

This is a general message I am posting in each person's private thread, just to check everything is okay and that I have not passed over any actions or questions that involve your character or any associated npc.

Let me know if things are overlooked that I need to attend to.

Can players also make sure their character sheets reflect the updated Experience Points as shown in my public thread and adjust any class, race, bonus skills or handicaps, adjust inventory items and update any personal notes that you need.

Note any skill checks and research and character investment progress if players are working towards an upgrade or new feature.

Cheers, hope everyone is still engaged and having fun. Next xp bonuses will come at Christmas for those who survive that long ...

Actions any comments or questions? Post in your personal threads.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by Spearmint »

Players

Just to let you know my mother was taken ill today and while resting at home, she is still unwell so for a couple of days I may be over there (a neighbouring city) and offline or infrequent posting until the weekend.

Cheers. I will catch up on all the threads and open the new ones by then.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by Spearmint »

House Rules

As I scripted, often my House Rules are adapted as issues arise or circumstances challenge the rule or provide a need for further clarification. It is with this in mind I have updated my consideration regarding Poisons (lethal) in particular and you can read the edited resolution here:

https://www.unseenservant.us/forum/view ... 17#p565017

It basically retains the danger of lethal toxins and venoms but removes the 'instant death' which hopefully provides a narrow window of opportunity for victims of poisons to be aided if possible.

Ask further if it seems an unclear explanation.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Spearmint »

Happy New Year Barrowmazers!

Just to let you know I have a couple of days haulage and driving jobs which will probably keep me offline until Tuesday evening at least, so I will probably not attend to all the threads until then with maybe only an intermittent post inbetween.

Cheers.

Return to “Barrowmaze (1e)”