Infiltrating Bresnan's Ranch

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Infiltrating Bresnan's Ranch

#141 Post by tarlyn »

maceo_the_escher wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:17 am Knatchbull to Xavier:

"We can get you out of here but you have to do what we say and be quiet. Do you think you can walk on your own?"
Fapp

The little halfling nods approvingly at Knatchbull and smiles at the captive. "Yes, please be very quiet, we will get you out of here, pronto. I am Fapp and this is

Knatchbull. Follow our orders, you will be safe and survive."
"I drained the soul of a monk once....... It tasted like Chocolate."

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#142 Post by Spearmint »

Exploring under the Manse

You untie the prisoner, give him some water and tell him to hush. He can walk, probably better using one if you as a crutch.

But he doesn't want to leave.

"Guys, I don't know who you are but thank Ygg you are here. But I cannot leave. Not now. Not without her.

They roughed me up good for sure but I cannot leave without Nadine. She is just a pawn in her father's game. She must be rescued too so we can flee together."

The man looks very weak, probably busted in a rib or two. He says he was dragged before Gordo and a group of thugs. Beat soundly. Interrogated about 'what he knows' though he confesses he had no clue what they meant.

He says the up the stairs leads to another room, a crypt of some kind and past there are a strange workshop and other rooms. He doesn't know he was beaten in the manse and dragged down the stairs.

actions please

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#143 Post by tarlyn »

Fapp

The Halfling sighs. Looking at his pal, he shrugs and then grins. "I don't know about you, but I wouldn't feel right if we didn't help this chap out."

He winks at the man reassuringly, awaiting Knatchbull's response.

maceo_the_escher
Tracker
Tracker

#144 Post by maceo_the_escher »

Knatchbull

Knatchbull shakes his head, "I did NOT want to go upstairs but it sounds like we don't have much of a choice. If we see too many guards though I think we need to have another talk. Let's get going!"

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#145 Post by Spearmint »

You strike another torch as you cast the last one among the scuttling rodents which traverse the passage. A shiver going down the spine of Fapp who really begins to dislike the presence of the flea ridden rats.

The limping Xavier joins you in the hope he can rescued 'his beloved' from the clutches of her father's evil plans. (Though there is no suggestion yet that any such feelings are reciprocated by the young lady).

Forced into delving further, you quietly open the door and peer into a curved hallway which leads off in the dark to the north. It is about 15'ft wide and leads at least 60'ft. To the south the hallway continues in a curve but ends. In that area a few opened stone coffins are dumped as debris among other wooden caskets. In an alcove in the wall at the end is a stone figure, hunched over, motionless.

More stone coffins, but with slab lids on ring the hallway every few feet, you can count a dozen such until the hallway curves out of view.

For now, the hallway is unlit except for your torch and seemingly unpatrolled.

actions please

Attachments
End of hallway
End of hallway
03f925cdbffc3e4883d4f286513fc50b--old-churches-abandoned-places.jpg (64.21 KiB) Viewed 459 times

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#146 Post by tarlyn »

Fapp

Looking around, Fapp wonders what this room is for? He will concentrate and take a real good look around now, listening as well for any out of place noises.

Fapp will want to search the room carefully for secret doors or anything out of place. The hunched over stone figure intrigues him as well as

the coffins just tossed here like garbage. These bear closer inspection as well.

"Big guy, like what the hell is this place? Xavier, do you have any idea what this place is? Why did they do this to you? Because of his daughter?"

maceo_the_escher
Tracker
Tracker

#147 Post by maceo_the_escher »

Knatchbull to Fapp:

"No idea what this place is or what kinda person would want coffins in their house. Take a quick look around if you want-I'll keep my attention on anything wandering our way."

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#148 Post by Spearmint »

Fapp search through the area of stone and wooden coffins. You can tell the disparity in centuries old age between the two. The carved stone ones are big, rectangular and heavy. Certainly larger than the bunk Knatchbull sleeps in. Most have motifs etched along the sides of demonic leering faces. One still has a burial shroud, dusty and mildewed with age. It has been torn apart, rent from the neck to waist which might suggest whoever was wrapped inside tore himself out. But that person must have been at least 9'ft judging by the measure of the cloth, foot to crown.

The wooden caskets are more recent and some are grimy with dried clay on the sides which might suggest they were buried then dug up. One stands upright leaning in a corner, ominously with a closed lid just just tempts the curious to open.

The alcove statue is of a gargoyle figure. Hunched on his haunches, covered in green mossy lichen. One horn on its head is missing and the two wings have been clipped, pieces lie upon the floor.

As you search, Xavier whispers, "Bresnan and his co-horts. They plot and plan. Insidious things, terrible. He mourns his wife and it plagues him. He seeks to resurrect her, this much I know.

The hobgoblins are a front. Nadine is a pawn in his machinations and is being betrothed to cement their alliance. Against her will I am sure.

I have never been down here before. I was beaten upstairs and dragged here for more interrogations. All I want is to leave, with her if she will come."

Knatchbull goes a bit further up the curved hallway. The other stone coffins that line the wall are based in raised plinths but otherwise similar in design to the empty derelict ones, though each of these still have the lid secured over them. They are dusty and covered in cobwebs so haven't been disturbed in a long while. Halfway around the curve you note a closed wooden door in the east wall. The passage continues on further.

As yet, no other figures are in the hallway crypt.

actions please.

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#149 Post by tarlyn »

Fapp

The halfling looks at Knatchbull. Shrugging he looks up the hallway.

"All right Xavier, good to know this information. Bringing back the dead? You can do that? Creepy, this Bresnan but I suppose losing your wife might make

you do evil things. Not natural is all I'm saying. I'll check what's in the barrels then let's get out of here. I don't want to run into whatever was in that nine foot

coffin."

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#150 Post by Spearmint »

I'll check what's in the barrels
which barrels? The ones in the cellar down the stairs? Or do you mean check out the coffins?

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#151 Post by tarlyn »

I meant caskets but any of the wooden caskets which are recent.

maceo_the_escher
Tracker
Tracker

#152 Post by maceo_the_escher »

Knatchbull

Knatchbull backs up to where Fapp is examining the caskets and tries to get his attention:

"Hey...don't you remember what that scarecrow thing did to us? We're in way over our heads if we bump into anything like that thing again or worse. And then there's the regular stuff like a patrol of guards that could cause big problems for us. I want to help Xavier but I really don't see us getting out of here alive if we go much further. I think we should grab a few things off this coffins to show what's going on here and then get out and don't look back. If Xavier wants to keep looking for his damsel he can. Are you prepared to die to help him?"

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#153 Post by Spearmint »

The nerves are beginning to shred for the duo, having a feeling they are getting deeper in than they can manage.

Fapp searches a bit more, looking through shroud cloths that line coffins, kicking aside the broken pieces of the gargoyle and finally working his way to the upright casket. It is much the same as the others, dried mud cakes the sides though shiny brass handles still poke through the grimy layer. The hinges on the lid are in place but rusty and creak a little as the halfling opens it.

Inside a grisly cadaver, a skeletal figure grinning rotten teeth contrasting to the bleach white bones. You notice straight away the figure has been tampered with. The figure's left leg bone, the fibula has been detached. The patella knee cap broken and sawn or axed through. The ankle and foot bones still in the shroud cloths.

Xavier and Knatchbull debate merits of pressing in. The injured ranch hand limps up the hallway. Knatchbull is about to call him to wait as you make decisions when it seems that at least one patrolling creature leaps upon a stone coffin and hisses at you.

A cat. A mangy critter with bloody streaks on its face from chomping on a mouse which dangles from its jaw. It has a baleful look with glassy eyes, its fur unkempt. It leaps across a couple of the stone coffins to "meow" a screeching sound, arching its back.

next actions please Image
Attachments
Pussy in the crypt
Pussy in the crypt
049c5d279b7b4be9ce83d692b9943b1c.jpg (23.95 KiB) Viewed 424 times

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#154 Post by tarlyn »

Fapp

"HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!" exclaims the Halfling back pedaling and rejoining Knatchbull and Xavier.

Appearing nervous now he looks at Knatchbull "Okay you are right big guy. Let's get out of here. The sooner the better. Sorry Xavier, we'll take you back to

town but I didn't plan on dying here when I came to the Ranch ."

maceo_the_escher
Tracker
Tracker

#155 Post by maceo_the_escher »

Knatchbull

Knatchbull nods at Fapp in agreement. If there's anything he can quickly grab that might tie evil doings to Bresnan he will grab it (maybe a coffin that has a name on it that can be tied to someone back in town, or any emblems that he thinks look "evil".

To Xavier, "I'm sorry fella but this place is no good. You can come with us or stay but we're not going any further. We're leaving NOW!"

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#156 Post by Spearmint »

Knatchbull looks to grab something incriminating that Osen might be able to use in persuading Lord Krothos that Bresnan is up to no good. But pieces of cloth and stone pieces from a broken gargoyle are not great evidence of wrong doing.

You could take the cat. The mangy critter gives another baleful screech before it is whacked aside by Xavier.

"Mangy cur." he says. "I cannot leave. Not now. Thank you for untying me. But I need to rescue Nadine. While they feast I might be able to creep into her chambers." He takes a torch to light his way, looking back at you before pressing on around the curve of the hallway and stopping at a door. After a brief moment to listen beyond he opens it and steps through.

As he goes you see by the light of the torch he carries that more large stone sarcophagi line the hallway, going past the door and further around.

The cat, glimmering reflective eyes watch you from a perch before turning away and the furry shadow scuttles off after more mice.

Fapp and Knatchbull need to make a choice. To carry on investigating below the Manse or turn back now. You could close your expedition with a return to the mercenary guild or try to investigate stuff another way and return to the stockade.

discussions and actions please.

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#157 Post by tarlyn »

I'd prefer to close the expedition and move on to something else tbh :)

maceo_the_escher
Tracker
Tracker

#158 Post by maceo_the_escher »

Knatchbull

"I wish Xavier luck but it's time for us to GO!"

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#159 Post by Spearmint »

What's more scary than a scary cat? A couple of scaredy cats as Knatchbull and Fapp take a pragmatic view that they have pushed their luck in exploring and at the limits of their comfort zone decide to retreat down the tunnel and back to the Far Barn.

You return down the stairs, pushing the door closed behind you and sneak around the crate wall and barrels to trek along the narrow tunnel. With a flaming firebrand you can crisp the swarming centipedes and finally make your way back to the exit trapdoor.

anything you want to do in the cellar area or tunnel before you exit into the barn?

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#160 Post by tarlyn »

grab some proof on the way back where knatch said leave them alone

Return to “Completed Expeditions”