Infiltrating Bresnan's Ranch

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Infiltrating Bresnan's Ranch

#101 Post by tarlyn »

maceo_the_escher wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:06 am Knatchbull to Fapp:

"Got any tricks up your sleeves for bugs? We could wave at 'em with the torch but I'm not sure if that's gonna be good enough."
Fapp to Knatchbull

"I have oil in two flasks. Think it is worth a try?"
"I drained the soul of a monk once....... It tasted like Chocolate."

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#102 Post by Spearmint »

the flask of oil would generally cover a 3'ft diameter pool but you could splash it about and pour it to drip down the walls and cover a 5'ft section of the tunnel which each one.

maceo_the_escher
Tracker
Tracker

#103 Post by maceo_the_escher »

Knatchbull

"I don't know. Sounds kinda dangerous and if it's still burning and we need to get back through it or something...Maybe it's just better if I charge through and you wave the torch at the little bastards if they get close? Are you sure you want to even keep going? This doesn't seem like a bandit route or path they're really using."

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#104 Post by tarlyn »

maceo_the_escher wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:03 am Knatchbull

"I don't know. Sounds kinda dangerous and if it's still burning and we need to get back through it or something...Maybe it's just better if I charge through and you wave the torch at the little bastards if they get close? Are you sure you want to even keep going? This doesn't seem like a bandit route or path they're really using."
Fapp

"Yeah I dont think we shoud go on, it is kind of pintless to keep going,, Shall we get out of here?"

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#105 Post by Spearmint »

the tunnel provides the duo a dilemma. It looks under used. Is that a good thing or bad? The positive is it tracks in the direction of the stockade and manse. The negative are so many unknowns. The centipede swarm waves a thousand little legs at you, daring you to pass by.

You could leave now and sneak by the hobgoblin, hopefully still tied up and return to the stockade or press on to the tunnel conclusion.

As far as the oil goes, as per the DMG, a flask of oil spread as a pool or used as a weapon would burn up in a couple of rounds. So it won't be a raging bonfire unless combustible materials are nearby.

maceo_the_escher
Tracker
Tracker

#106 Post by maceo_the_escher »

Knatchbull

"I hear ya, but we're here now and already wet. I don't have any intention of sticking around the camp if we do go back. Let's get through these bugs and see what's next-then decide, OK? If it gets worse or its just more of the same we'll turn around. Just get ready with the torch!"

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#107 Post by Spearmint »

okay I will advance this as the predicted action.

The explorers coat the sides of the tunnel walls with dripping oil, splashing streaks over the mass of centipedes like a vicar sanctifying the faithful with holy water. A touch from the torch sends a baptism of fire among the critters who mostly get crisped, shrivelling up in their carapaces and occasionally going 'pop' as fatty juices bubble their insides.

The burning oil is effective, clearing a path through the wriggling mass though a few remain to drop on to your shoulders and wriggle about collars and exposed flesh as you run by.

The multi-legged insects tickle with feelers, legs and antennae sending shivers down your spines. A nip here and another there. Both of you have to brush centipedes off and both suffer the consequences of the nerve desensitizing drool they inject.

Fapp and Knatchbull each make a saving throw vs Poison with a +4 bonus or suffer the effects.I will note the effects if you fail

You pass the swarm and after shaking the critters off and stamping on them, 'splatt, splatt,' may continue. The tunnel descends at an incline, most likely at this point going underneath the moat. You will not be too far from either stockade or Manse though buried underground you cannot hear any shenanigans from the evening soirée. A look behind and you are comforted by no pursuing lights.

The tunnel ends abruptly. The narrow passage seems to open to a chamber beyond. The still air, damp smell, lichen covered walls give an unfavourable impression. You enter a small cellar about 15'ft square. Old crates, barrels, shelves of wooden boxes are scattered in the room. An archway leads off in the opposite corner and running against the west wall a set of stone steps ascend. Your tunnel is concealed under the steps.

All is 'as quiet as the grave'. actions and poison save rolls please.

I will edit this to post a room illustration if I can.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#108 Post by Spearmint »

so you will have to forgive my mobile created room. But it should give a visual of stairs going up, a hallway corridor and random crates, barrels, tools and cast offs in a cellar

Attachments
Tunnel and cellar
Tunnel and cellar
Screenshot_20211009-025129~2.png (174.75 KiB) Viewed 555 times

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#109 Post by tarlyn »

Fapp

As a Halfling Fapp gets a +1 bonus for saves vs poison hence the +5

The halfling will take a good look around, still trying to remove any bugs even if there aren't any on him.

maceo_the_escher
Tracker
Tracker

#110 Post by maceo_the_escher »

Knatchbull

"Well, that wasn't TOO bad. Good job swinging the torch! Now what? Let's quickly check the stuff in here and see if we find anything then maybe go up the stairs?"

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#111 Post by tarlyn »

maceo_the_escher wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:18 pm Knatchbull

"Well, that wasn't TOO bad. Good job swinging the torch! Now what? Let's quickly check the stuff in here and see if we find anything then maybe go up the stairs?"

Fapp

"Yeah, and the stairs sound good to me. THat box with a piece of wood holding it up must be a trap or looks like one

at any rate."

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#112 Post by Spearmint »

Exploring under the Manse

yes, there is a rather cheesy mousetrap.

Cautiously you creep out of the tunnel. The exit is narrow and shadowed under the stone staircase and further hidden from view by the numerous barrels and bric-a-brac which litter the store cellar.

You notice the trap and large piece of moldy cheese. It speaks of a rodent problem and in only a few steps, some critters scuttle away, keeping to the wall sides and flee down the corridor opposite.

Despite no bugs, your skin still crawls, mostly with the chill atmosphere and a sense of unease and dread.

You take a few minutes to search. It is quite random. An old bottle of wine looks the most promising item. Rusty tools line the shelves, an old table and chairs stack against a wall. The barrels a thick viscous oil. Not lantern oil which has a parafin thin quality. This other is more than brown grimy honey though is certainly not sugar-sweet.

The corridor leads off, 5'ft wide and about 30'ft long. Four small wooden doors are set into the brickwork passage on the left hand side. The last door is slightly ajar and rodents nip in and out.

At the top of the stairs is a sodden wooden door that opens towards you though the swollen nature means it is stuck in the frame.

You can listen at the door but no voices are heard beyond.

actions please.

do remember too that both of you arrived in Helix prior to Mayday so you can participate in the village festivities to gain bonus XP and item rewards.

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#113 Post by tarlyn »

Spearmint wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:26 am Exploring under the Manse

yes, there is a rather cheesy mousetrap.

Cautiously you creep out of the tunnel. The exit is narrow and shadowed under the stone staircase and further hidden from view by the numerous barrels and bric-a-brac which litter the store cellar.

You notice the trap and large piece of moldy cheese. It speaks of a rodent problem and in only a few steps, some critters scuttle away, keeping to the wall sides and flee down the corridor opposite.

Despite no bugs, your skin still crawls, mostly with the chill atmosphere and a sense of unease and dread.

You take a few minutes to search. It is quite random. An old bottle of wine looks the most promising item. Rusty tools line the shelves, an old table and chairs stack against a wall. The barrels a thick viscous oil. Not lantern oil which has a parafin thin quality. This other is more than brown grimy honey though is certainly not sugar-sweet.

The corridor leads off, 5'ft wide and about 30'ft long. Four small wooden doors are set into the brickwork passage on the left hand side. The last door is slightly ajar and rodents nip in and out.

At the top of the stairs is a sodden wooden door that opens towards you though the swollen nature means it is stuck in the frame.

You can listen at the door but no voices are heard beyond.

actions please.

do remember too that both of you arrived in Helix prior to Mayday so you can participate in the village festivities to gain bonus XP and item rewards.
I agree we can participate with activities but our threads kind of lead us to here, tbh.

I believe we do plan to go back to Helix then we can attempt to get xp , items etc in game.

Again we have to make it back.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#114 Post by Spearmint »

okay. Maybe you misunderstood.

You arrived in Helix on April 30th.

The festival is Mayday, May 1st.
It is running as an out-of-expedition event as a way of players gaining xp, some gp or items rewards or just kudos. It helps with the 'world building' and immersion of players into the community they are adventuring among. Nothing happens in the town or to the characters that injures or hinders them. It is just a fun downtime investment.

Fapp and Knatchbull left Helix to visit the Ranch on May 2nd, so your participation if you wish to enter is all retrospective actions.

So you can join any competition, the festival has about six events of varied skills. The Scarecrow event is running now and I will open the mud wrestling event next.

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#115 Post by tarlyn »

Spearmint wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:25 pm okay. Maybe you misunderstood.

You arrived in Helix on April 30th.

The festival is Mayday, May 1st.
It is running as an out-of-expedition event as a way of players gaining xp, some gp or items rewards or just kudos. It helps with the 'world building' and immersion of players into the community they are adventuring among. Nothing happens in the town or to the characters that injures or hinders them. It is just a fun downtime investment.

Fapp and Knatchbull left Helix to visit the Ranch on May 2nd, so your participation if you wish to enter is all retrospective actions.

So you can join any competition, the festival has about six events of varied skills. The Scarecrow event is running now and I will open the mud wrestling event next.
I am all for that! Just which thread do we need to post in? :)

maceo_the_escher
Tracker
Tracker

#116 Post by maceo_the_escher »

Knatchbull whispers to Fapp:

"Let's go back down and check out what's behind those doors in the corridor. Maybe we can learn a little more about this place before we start heading up higher. We might not even have to go upstairs at all. What do you think?"

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#117 Post by tarlyn »

maceo_the_escher wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:58 pm Knatchbull whispers to Fapp:

"Let's go back down and check out what's behind those doors in the corridor. Maybe we can learn a little more about this place before we start heading up higher. We might not even have to go upstairs at all. What do you think?"
Fapp

"All right, let's do it. We have nothing to lose and everything to gain by doing it."

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#118 Post by Spearmint »

The Festival's thread in the Announcement section.

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#119 Post by tarlyn »

Spearmint wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:06 am
The Festival's thread in the Announcement section.
viewtopic.php?f=1111&t=11245

this one?

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#120 Post by Spearmint »

Exploring under the Manse

The pair use the firebrand to light their way, choosing to explore the side corridor. The three doors are small, narrow, giving the impression of a cell beyond. Indeed after opening the first which creaks loudly in rusty hinges, you find a small cell. Old straw matted bunk and an iron ring to restraint the non-compliant in chains. A few scratches in the brick chart as days kept in isolation though how long ago those were indelibly etched is hard to say.

The second cell is of similar proportions but this time it is occupied. Bizarrely, a straw stuffed mannequin with burlap head and stitched button eyes. The torn clothing and floppy hat complete the scarecrow outfit. But your first impression as you see the dummy is one of fear and revulsion. An evil aura permeates the cell and both of you must save vs spells as your minds react to some insidious effect.

actions and saving throws please, include wisdom modifier if applicable.

yes, that is the festival thread

Return to “Completed Expeditions”