The Secret Base of Iuz

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: The Secret Base of Iuz

#261 Post by hedgeknight »

ChubbyPixie wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:01 pm Kranston, upon hearing about the descending rope, will go to examine the hole it leads into. Does it seem recently dug? Does it get a lot of traffic going up and down? Or does it seem like a means of raising and lowering ore or other materials?
Lots of tracks in the mud, mostly boot prints of Orcish nature along with some human tracks (Montego's) and perhaps a wandering wolf. Appears to be a means of lowering oneself into the perhaps the lower caverns...
While you are looking, Montego and Adelphocleas (and maybe Cassius and Muldgarr) wander over to test the rope. The ranger looks ready to lower himself down.

Is this the plan? Going down?
Anybody else going along?
Winter is coming...

Hotgoblin
President of Unseen Servant

#262 Post by Hotgoblin »

Muldgarr grabs the rope from Montego...I will head down first, you have all risked so much for me. It is the least I can do. He nods to his friends and slides down the rope.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#263 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Montego is surprised by the sudden actions of their normally quiet thief, but doesnt stop the elf from going down first.

"If there is anything unpleasant down there, you will need a strong sword arm with you. I will be on the rope right behind you."

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#264 Post by hedgeknight »

Descent into the Caverns

First Muldgarr and then Montego drop down into the chimney's air duct. The passage widens and narrows during the 200-foot descent, but always remains passable enough. The rope finally ends in a three-foot drop in the middle of a corridor hewn out of hard, solid rock. It is pitch dark at the end of the rope.
(Light source? Anyone else dropping down?)

Before Montego descends, Adelphocleas tells him, "I will take some of the others and try to make our way into the lower caverns and meet up with you. I don't know how far I will be able to go, but hopefully a bit farther than our last try."

Adelphocleas gives Kranston a nod and gallops back to the mess hall. He tells Sai, Dorin, and the others > "Montego and Muldarr have descended into the caves. I shall circle back around the hill and enter as we did upon our first foray into the mines. Who's with me?"

Young Farkus and Dorin volunteer almost immediately. Clint looks at Rusty, who can hardly stand, and says, "I'll be staying here I reckon."
The centaur turns his gaze upon Sai. "Well? You coming?"
Winter is coming...

Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#265 Post by Darklin2 »

Sai

I am. Lets get some more pay back for all those lives lost.
No, prisoners and we take what we can carry and they collaps the rest. Cave it in so more scum can not hide here to fester and grow. Lets go. Keep the door locked. Emerall is the password. Dont let anyone in without it.
All things are possible through Magic.
Darklin Sylvanas- Fighter/Magic-User - Big Shiny Island (1E)
Sai Eranthor - Cleric / Fighter/Mage - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures (2E)

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#266 Post by hedgeknight »

Return to the Back Door

Sai agrees to go with Adelphocleas, and after giving Clint and Rusty the password, he leaves with Dorin and young Farkus. Following Adelphocleas, the group descends the hill, circles to the west, and approaches the back cave entrance to the Cragson Mines.

vulture.jpg
vulture.jpg (29.37 KiB) Viewed 551 times
There is a foul stench in the air and among the trees. The approach of the group disturbs the turkey vultures which are feeding on the dead Goblinoids and wolf carcasses. The vultures don't fly far, perching in nearby trees, waiting to return to their breakfast.
The stench is not coming off the dead, but rather from the mouth of the cave where a slow plume of smoke rises occasionally into the air. Adelphocleas snorts nervously as he passes between the trees, stepping over the dead and approaching the cave. Without turning back toward the others, he asks, "How shall we proceed?"
Winter is coming...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#267 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Montego listens intently for a few moments in the darkness before he pulls out his lantern as quietly as possible, striking flint to get the oil lit.

"If there is anything left to find down here, I will need some light to see by," he whispers to the elf at his side.

"Can you make out any sounds in the darkness Muldy?"

Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#268 Post by Darklin2 »

Sai

Looks threw the dead for any more arrows. Gathering all he can find and filling quivers and a cloak that is clean to cut for face masks.

Everyone tie a wet cloth around your face that will keep some of the stink down and filter the air. I have no healing spells so if your hurt bad get out. I can still bandage but that wont get you back consciece if your out.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#269 Post by hedgeknight »

OGRE MAGE wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:39 pm Montego listens intently for a few moments in the darkness before he pulls out his lantern as quietly as possible, striking flint to get the oil lit.

"If there is anything left to find down here, I will need some light to see by," he whispers to the elf at his side.

"Can you make out any sounds in the darkness Muldy?"
Below the Chimney.png
Below the Chimney.png (216.92 KiB) Viewed 545 times
Montego looks around, the light from his lantern revealing multiple pathways...
Winter is coming...

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#270 Post by hedgeknight »

Back into the Mines...

Quivers full of arrows and with wet cloths over their faces, the Heroes of the Border Watch enter the Cragson Mines one more time.
Adelphocleas leads the way...even though it is easy to tell the centaur is very uncomfortable about it. Dorin pats the noble being on the shoulder and moves on ahead after they reach the wolf area and approach closer to the burned out section. The dead goblinoids, orcs and ogres and wolves are lying everywhere. Their charred bodies are still smoldering, creating the fumes exiting the cave mouth. The stench is horrible.
(I need a CON check...)

Young Fargus turns and spews the wall with his breakfast, but Dorin forages ahead. Adelphocleas gags and tries hard not to vomit, while reciting a prayer to the Elven gods for strength. Moving deeper in, the heroes step over the dead and reach a section of the chamber (#16) where a fire still burns in a pit, and a tunnel leads into darkness...

Actions?
Chubby, where is Kranston?
Attachments
Burned Out .png
Burned Out .png (412.89 KiB) Viewed 542 times
Winter is coming...

Hotgoblin

#271 Post by Hotgoblin »

Muldgarr focuses on using his senses while his eyes adjust to the light. If the camp lines up with cliff we should go to the right.

Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#272 Post by Darklin2 »

Sai

Will check the dead in the big cavern inside the mine where we initially engaged them, for gold, valuables, potions and any weapons that look like they did not burn. Keeping his bow in hand as the others move on.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#273 Post by ChubbyPixie »

As Montego and Muldgar take in their surroundings they are joined by Kranston, who comes sliding down the rope in fits and starts. As he lands on the stone ground he dusts himself off. Looking up he explains, “Sorry I’m late. Stubby legs.”

He turns around, examining the various passages. He’ll get his bearings, then either confirm or dispute Montego’s sense of direction.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#274 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Montego

The ranger searches the floor of the passages hoping to reveal which avenues have been used most recently.

If the findings confirm that Muldgarr is likely correct, he leads the way up the eastern passage.

The large human smiles at the dwarfs arrival, glad to have someone along that should know their way around underground quite well.

“Unless you have another idea, master dwarf?”

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#275 Post by hedgeknight »

In the Mines...

Sai begins to check the dead for anything they can use while the others continue on. He finds several broad swords and about 200 gold pieces; these Orcs were paid quite well. Adelphocleas, Dorin and Farkus continue on until they come to a four-way intersection. The centaur stops and listens and then asks Sai, "Which way do you think?"

Kranston arrives with bounce and a jiggle and Montego and Muldgarr are glad to see him. They take the eastern corridor and follow it a few yards until it splits...one passage leads north, the other south.

Actions?
Winter is coming...

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#276 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Cassius

Cassius eventually joins Kranston at the bottom of the rope. "I insisted that Kranston go first. I don't need to give him visuals to compose a song about me sliding down a hole."

As his eyes adjust and he spots the split, he shakes his head. "Let's pick one and stay together, no use splitting up so soon."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#277 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Montego leads the group north, to see if that passage meets up with the tunnel they saw earlier.

If it continues to the east, he will follow. If not, he leads the group down the southern passage to see where it leads.

“Are you sure the orc caves lie East of here?”

“Kranston! You got anything?”

Hotgoblin

#278 Post by Hotgoblin »

Muldgarr longs for the forest, being underground is not his forte. Although he is grateful to be alive. He waits for Kranston to respond, assuming it will be something lyrical.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#279 Post by hedgeknight »

OGRE MAGE wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:29 pm Montego leads the group north, to see if that passage meets up with the tunnel they saw earlier.
Below the Chimney 2.png
Below the Chimney 2.png (178.44 KiB) Viewed 530 times

Going north, you come to a "T" intersection, with a definite chamber to your right (east), and to your left (west), the corridor looks like it may continue another 10-20 feet...but there seems to be some source of light barely noticeable in that direction.
If it continues to the east, he will follow.
Below the Chimney 3.png
Below the Chimney 3.png (130.95 KiB) Viewed 530 times
Going east, the corridor leads to a large chamber. Montego's lantern light reveals a dozen or more bed rolls where the Orcs had converted the chamber to a barracks of sorts.

“Are you sure the orc caves lie East of here?”
“Kranston! You got anything?”
Montego asks, looking around cautiously.
Winter is coming...

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#280 Post by hedgeknight »

Sai begins to check the dead for anything they can use while the others continue on. He finds several broad swords and about 200 gold pieces; these Orcs were paid quite well. Adelphocleas, Dorin and Farkus continue on until they come to a four-way intersection. The centaur stops and listens and then asks Sai, "Which way do you think?"
While he is pocketing the coin and looking around, young Farkus comes hurrying back into the chamber, his eyes as big as saucers.
"We hear voices and there is the glow of a light! Dorin sent me back to fetch you."
Winter is coming...

Return to “Previous Adventures”