Blackgate and Beyond

hedgeknight
alchemy
Tracker
Tracker

Re: Blackgate and Beyond

#41 Post by alchemy »

Um, uh, are the three of you together, part of Ms Gena's entourage? Or are you just here for the boar? I hear it is very good.

When the three seemed disinclined to talk, she asks each What's your name?

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by hedgeknight »

In response to Callie's questions, the hooded man pushes back his seat, stands up and leaves the tavern.
The fellow with a smirk and sly eyes, opens his hands to show Callie the boar ribs on his plate. He takes a gulp of beer and returns to his meal, saying nothing.
But the scruffy fellow with amazingly white teeth, smiles and says, "My companions are doers, not talkers. Me, on the other hand, well, I can never find enough time to say everything I want to say. I am Scout, and I will be back in the morning should you wish to visit with - " he indicates Gena with a hand.
"And I guess the boar is good. I wouldn't know. I don't eat red meat. I prefer the fish...and the wine." Scout smiles again and raises his glass. "Are you going to join us? We have an empty seat."
Winter is coming...

alchemy
Tracker
Tracker

#43 Post by alchemy »

Yes, only I'm going to have the boar. I hope it does not offend. I much prefer red meat to fish. It's in my nature.

Her smile is dainty as she waves to Alston and, catching his attention, states I'd like the boar, please. And a large beer. As she awaits the order she asks So what's your story? And why did your friends bolt out of here so quickly?

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by hedgeknight »

While Alston fetches beer and boar, Gena gets up to leave. "Tomorrow then," she says casually and walks out.
Scout watches her go, then says, "Pay no mind to my friends. They have their own errands tonight. Me and Sir Willis have other things to do before we tuck in."
Willis wipes the grease off his chin and sips his beer, his eyes watching the patrons of the tavern.
"As for my story," Scout begins, kicking back in his chair, "well, that's a boring one I'm afraid. Grew up on the streets right here in the Gate, never really knew my parents, managed to run afoul of the Fist a few times, and then Gena found me. Now, I work for her."
He sips his wine, smiles again, and asks, "What about you? You have the look of an outsider. You're definitely not a city girl."
Winter is coming...

alchemy
Tracker
Tracker

#45 Post by alchemy »

No, no indeed, I am not from around here. You can say that I am from the north, a wanderling with no home, at least for time being. I find my hopes to be fading, yet I will endeavor to push on. Suddenly a crow alights on one of the chandeliers.

Come down from there, old man. I'll not share if you don't behave yourself in front of these fine folks. So saying, she offers some seed to the crow who takes it from her hand.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by hedgeknight »

The patrons pause for a moment to watch the crow, and then promptly return to their meals.
"Well now!" Scout exclaims. "Seems you've made a friend. I've heard crows are really smart. Is he a pet? What's his name?"
Winter is coming...

alchemy
Tracker
Tracker

#47 Post by alchemy »

Callie laughed, and it felt good.
Come down from there old man...or should I call you old crow instead. Probably better to call you what you want, in the end. Does that make sense? The Crow bobbed its head in agreement.

Well, good then. We have an accord. I shall call you Old Crow.

He's been with me since... She trails off.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by hedgeknight »

"Well, lookee what we have here!" Alston says, appearing at the table with fresh drinks.
"He looks tame enough, lass. Anything else for you lads?" he asks the men at the table.

Scout lifts his glass. "Another fill, would you?"
The other man says nothing. He doesn't even look up, intent on his food.
Winter is coming...

alchemy
Tracker
Tracker

#49 Post by alchemy »

Alston, I'll have another beer, but that will be the last this night. Thank you for your hospitality - I hope to see you tomorrow evening. I have some matters to attend and I'm not sure how late I will be.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by hedgeknight »

"Probably not too late," Scout says with a white-toothed grin.

"Well, the door is open whenever you should arrive, lass!" Alston says, patting Callie on the shoulder. "I'll go fetch your drink."

"He favors you," Scout says, watching Alston go.
"The old keg favors everyone," says the other man, Sir Willis, as he was called.
Scout shrugs and nods. "True that. The brothers seem to have a soft spot for wayward souls," he sighs, giving Callie a wink.
Winter is coming...

alchemy
Tracker
Tracker

#51 Post by alchemy »

That seems to be going around in here. Must be something in the water, eh? Then she laughed, a singular and happy sound that caused many of the patrons to look around. Clueless, she just kept smiling. After the beer is finished, she said to the two gentlemen, "In the morning then. Have a good rest."

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by hedgeknight »

Scout and Sir Willis bid Callie a good night and she retires to her room...for now :twisted:
Winter is coming...

alchemy
Tracker
Tracker

#53 Post by alchemy »

Just curious, am I still in the game? :lorcl:

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by hedgeknight »

alchemy wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:46 pm Just curious, am I still in the game? :lorcl:
I'm yer huckleberry... :mrgreen:
Winter is coming...

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by hedgeknight »

Sleeping indoors, in a soft feather bed, with no night sounds out under the stars...well, it isn't easy for Callie. Her mind wanders and it is filled with splashes of color...of fire...and blood. She remembers the smell of pine and the sound of trickling streams near her home. And she remembers the sound of his laughter...the man who took everything from her.
She opens her eyes...but somehow she knows she is dreaming. Something is chasing her, chasing her through an alley, between hovels and tents. No...not an alley, but somewhere beyond the wall, somewhere beyond Baldur's Gate...somewhere in the outer city. Her dream shifts and she is now watching the chase, watching this shadowy thing pursue its prey. And the prey looks very familiar.
The prey is Ricky.
He is sweating and pale with fear, darting and dashing, ducking and diving for cover, staying one step ahead of his pursuer, one step longer in being alive. Callie gets a good look at the person...the thing...pursuing him.

ghostly assassin.jpg
ghostly assassin.jpg (32.69 KiB) Viewed 743 times

Ricky stumbles and nearly falls, but the assassin keeps coming, unwavering, unyielding. Ricky screams for help, pleads for rescue but no one intervenes, no one emerges from their hovels; too afraid to confront this killer who has been rampant in the community of Blackgate for some time now. Ricky runs wild past stables of horses and pack animals, throwing loose items at the apparition but nothing slows it down. Then, Ricky stumbles and goes down hard and his pursuer overtakes him, raising a sword with glows with eldritch energy. The sword plunges and Ricky screams...

Callie jerks awake, looking frantically around the room. Her face is sweaty and she is crying. Hot and stifling is her room, so she opens a window, allowing the cool foggy breeze in. She closes her eyes and just breathes for a few moments...but she is jolted by another scream...somewhere beyond the wall.
Last edited by hedgeknight on Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winter is coming...

alchemy
Tracker
Tracker

#56 Post by alchemy »

Callie sits for a minute after the second scream, wonders what she should do. Finally, she pushes herself upward, affixes her baldric, making sure the scimitar is secure. Carefully, quietly, she makes her way downstairs toward the entrance of the inn. She moves with a hidden grace, though there is about her a heavy strength that seems to wait upon here.

Well old crow? Will you be my eyes tonight? Or will my eyes suffice? I think between the two of us, we can manage to see what we may. Stay above me and give warning of danger.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by hedgeknight »

alchemy wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:42 pm Well old crow? Will you be my eyes tonight? Or will my eyes suffice? I think between the two of us, we can manage to see what we may. Stay above me and give warning of danger.
The crow looks at her and then looks outside where the sun has set and the fog floats lazily through the air. At the corners of many buildings and establishments there is a greenish glow from the lamps burning and offering some break from the darkness. Looking out into the streets, Callie sees nothing, no movement, no noise...nothing.

What does she do?
Which direction does she go?
Winter is coming...

alchemy
Tracker
Tracker

#58 Post by alchemy »

Come master crow. It is what we are about after all.

As stealthy as cat, Callie exits the inn and throws the Old Crow into the air.

You know what to do wise one. If I fail, flee this place.

Quickly, her heart pattering in fear, she makes her way toward where she thinks the screams came from. Locating an alcove she thinks is close to her guess, she rushes forward and hides...and waits...and watches.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by hedgeknight »

Callie moves out, slinking from building to building, keeping to the shadows as Old Crow flies silently overhead.
She soon finds herself near Black Dragon Gate, but the gate itself is closed with two guards standing on this side of it.
They don't see her, chatting nonchalantly between themselves, passing a jug of wine back and forth.

My little eye spies a cloaked shadow...its sword red with blood...
This comes unbidden to her mind; Old Crow reaching out and telling her what is going on among the tents and shanties outside the gate...
Winter is coming...

alchemy
Tracker
Tracker

#60 Post by alchemy »

Ware the blooded blade, lads. A shadow slinks forth looking for more blood. Before the guards can even respond, an avian flies upward into the night, joining the Old Crow. Finding a place to alight, the younger one watches the guards carefully as the older watches her back.

Return to “Adventures in Baldur's Gate (5e)”