Character Generation

Gomezthebarbarian
tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Character Generation

#21 Post by tarlyn »

Should get the sheet done either tonight or tomorrow during the day at the latest.

Maybe a Bard? ...............
"I drained the soul of a monk once....... It tasted like Chocolate."

Gomezthebarbarian
Tracker
Tracker

#22 Post by Gomezthebarbarian »

Nope, no bards. Sorry.

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#23 Post by tarlyn »

Duly Noted

Id of loved to play a Monk but you need ability scores of gold to play one.

I'll play a thief therefore
"I drained the soul of a monk once....... It tasted like Chocolate."

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by gurusql »

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Rex »

Wow, amazing rolls OM!

Trantor_Trollbane
Strider
Strider

#26 Post by Trantor_Trollbane »

Gold roll: [2d6]=4
That equals 40 gold if I am interpreting correctly.
"Tell me many tales, but let them be of things that are past the lore of legend and of which there are no myths in our world or any world adjoining."

Trantor_Trollbane
Strider
Strider

#27 Post by Trantor_Trollbane »

Where in the book does it cover saving throws? I see as a halfling I get +3 to wands, staves, rods, spells, and poison, but I can't figure out what the base save scores are.
"Tell me many tales, but let them be of things that are past the lore of legend and of which there are no myths in our world or any world adjoining."

Trantor_Trollbane
Strider
Strider

#28 Post by Trantor_Trollbane »

Also, I don't see the club under the equipment costs table? Does anyone know it's cost off-hand?

Trantor_Trollbane
Strider
Strider

#29 Post by Trantor_Trollbane »

Following up on my previous posts, there are a few things I'm not sure about. Would someone be willing to chat via discord to help me through some character generation stuff? Figure it might be quicker then using the forum.

Discord ID:
Trantor_Trollbane#2360

Thanks in advance!

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by gurusql »

Trantor_Trollbane wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:55 pm Where in the book does it cover saving throws? I see as a halfling I get +3 to wands, staves, rods, spells, and poison, but I can't figure out what the base save scores are.
Saving Throws are in the DMG pg 79

The order is Paralyzation, Poison and Death Magic / Petrification and Poly / Rod, Staff, Wand / Breath Weapon / Spell

The numbers for 1st level characters are

Cleric 10 / 13 / 14 / 16 / 15
Fighter 14 / 15 / 16 / 17 / 17
Magic User 14 / 13 / 11 / 15 / 12
Thief 13 / 12 /14 / 16 / 15

Clubs are free

And yes, 40 gold is right

Trantor_Trollbane
Strider
Strider

#31 Post by Trantor_Trollbane »

Thank you. I'm only looking at the PHB, at least I'm not just blind...

Under the weapons tab of the character sheet, what does the Art/Rnd column reference?

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by gurusql »

Trantor_Trollbane wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:30 pm Thank you. I'm only looking at the PHB, at least I'm not just blind...

Under the weapons tab of the character sheet, what does the Art/Rnd column reference?
It is Attacks per Round, for most things obviously 1/1, but depends on the weapon of course.

Gomezthebarbarian
Tracker
Tracker

#33 Post by Gomezthebarbarian »

Trantor_Trollbane wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:16 pm Gold roll: [2d6]=4
That equals 40 gold if I am interpreting correctly.
Yes, that is correct.

Gomezthebarbarian
Tracker
Tracker

#34 Post by Gomezthebarbarian »

gurusql wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:31 pm Clubs are free
As are staffs. FYI staffs do better damage than clubs vs Large opponents.

Trantor_Trollbane
Strider
Strider

#35 Post by Trantor_Trollbane »

Gomezthebarbarian wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:53 am
That's a good point. It looks like thieves can't use staves, but maybe a sword would be better. Are we using encumberence? I see I can use short, broad, or long. Short seems to fit the flavor of a halfling thief better, but there doesn't really seem to be a reason not to pick either of the bigger swords outside of weight.

Regarding the weapon types table on page 38, what does the "c" before some items mean?

Gomezthebarbarian
Tracker
Tracker

#36 Post by Gomezthebarbarian »

Trantor_Trollbane wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:03 pm
That's a good point. It looks like thieves can't use staves, but maybe a sword would be better. Are we using encumberence? I see I can use short, broad, or long. Short seems to fit the flavor of a halfling thief better, but there doesn't really seem to be a reason not to pick either of the bigger swords outside of weight.

Regarding the weapon types table on page 38, what does the "c" before some items mean?
LOL I thought you were going for magic-user. The c is Latin for circa which means “around.” As for the shorter demihumans I was sure they are restricted to largish weapons. I need to research this.

Trantor_Trollbane
Strider
Strider

#37 Post by Trantor_Trollbane »

Gomezthebarbarian wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:56 pm

LOL I thought you were going for magic-user. The c is Latin for circa which means “around.” As for the shorter demihumans I was sure they are restricted to largish weapons. I need to research this.
That was one of my first thought, but I changed my mind. Sorry for the confusion and all the questions. I'm pretty much all set and will be posting my character shortly.

Gomezthebarbarian
Tracker
Tracker

#38 Post by Gomezthebarbarian »

Trantor_Trollbane wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:35 pm
Gomezthebarbarian wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:56 pm

That was one of my first thought, but I changed my mind. Sorry for the confusion and all the questions. I'm pretty much all set and will be posting my character shortly.
Don’t be sorry. I’d rather you ask questions than not.

Trantor_Trollbane
Strider
Strider

#39 Post by Trantor_Trollbane »

Alright. AD&D1e character creation was a learning experience, but I think I'm all set. Let me know if i missed or messed up anything.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#40 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Congrats TT.

Now you know why we all love 1E so much. :lol:

Return to “The Halls of Arden Vul (1e)”