Return to the Barrow Mounds:

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Return to the Barrow Mounds:

#661 Post by Rex »

Orgoth

"I should have been clearer, we should light the fire when we leave so if it draws anyone in it will be away from us."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#662 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Aaahhh.

Spearmint, do we know of enough wood around that we can hand wave this part, or will we risk meeting more wandering undead looking around for firewood?

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#663 Post by Spearmint »

aah I rolled a 50/50 for you to find wood. But you don't really want to wait four hours!

So I am fine with taking the bodies into the moor for a burial in a trench and taking the remains of the excavation scrap to use as fuel. It adds a couple of hours to the morning tasks but there are no wandering encounters at least.

If okay with that I will update journey back to Helix.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#664 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Deal!

I am happy to trade a couple hours of our morning for no wandering monsters.

Sven is ready to depart if that is agreeable to the others.

“Okay, Smokie. This is where you will really shine. We are headed back to where we live. A place called Helix. No, it’s not a terrible band. It’s a town. Anyway….”

“We are working on finding the perfect path through the moors and since we can’t see very far through the mist, we will rely on your superior sniffing powers to keep us going in the right direction. Between Orgoth and I, this will be our fourth trip through this area, so we are starting to find our way along fairly well, but if you can help with your super sniffer, that might keep us even safer as we travel.”

“Whatta ya say boy? You ready for a good long walk?”

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#665 Post by Rex »

Orgoth

Orgoth is good with that.

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#666 Post by sastaz »

Gerdal

"Let's go."

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#667 Post by Spearmint »

May 4th 1066.

Barrow Moor, south of Helix. Duchy of Aerik.

Very Misty, visibility reduced to 60'ft, light breeze.
Conditions: Gerdal 1/3hp Orgoth 9/12hp, Amos 8/10hp, Isvand 8/11hp, Sven 4/4hp.

Sven nods at his larger friend before he takes one of the carved soldier figurines and writes STEBAN across the base with his charcoal pencil before displaying it prominently in one of the tombs alcoves. "I know it is hardly the monument you deserve, but this is where we are," he says quietly.
take 50xp for the Tribute.

The group plan the morning, complicated by the encumbering items and the worry of the deceased rising again as ghouls to attack them. Sven looks quizzically at his familiar in regard to being feasted in by ghouls, deciding Smokie was just encouraging him that he wouldn't let any undeath happen. He tells him off the big wide world outside the Barrow Moor. The wolf grabs a skeleton bone in the way out to gnaw upon and gambols in the grassland like a newborn lamb.

The bodies are taken to the Moor, a trench done and memorial service held. Fabian buried with his hammer and shield, Steban with sword. (probably best no one took it, it seemed a bit cursed not hitting in anything in a dozen swings) . Orgoth pragmatically takes their heads off, hoping such halts the necrotic transformation into a living undeath.

The northward trek becomes more familiar though the misty atmosphere drenches the ground underfoot and paths switchback from boggy ground to firm and back again. Encumbered with awkward rather than heavy loads, the journey takes half as long. Past midday, three hours in and possibly halfway home, you see an approaching group through the mist. Two torch bearers light the way and you are hailed from a short distance.

The group appear friendly, clearly heading towards their own expeditionary endeavours. Of the dozen strong group, half appear as porters and baggage carriers, the other armed. Sylvester appears to lead the group, a many pocketed robed man with a goatee. Brulé his right hand man, looking indistinct from many of the commoners or adventurers you may have noticed in the village or tavern though he bares enough scars to show he has lived through a few battles.

"Hello. Moving house? Taking the carpet and the kitchen ware?" Sylvester says to break the ice between the groups.

actions and comments, questions please.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#668 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sven gives his group the *I don’t trust them* look before addressing Sylvester, if that really is his name.

“Good heavens! We didn’t expect to encounter another group of explorers out here. Pleasure to make you’re acquaintance, Sylvester and friends!”

“No, not moving exactly. Let’s call it…..redecorating. We found an old wagon half buried in the muck when we were looking around out here yesterday. The only goods still sticking out of the mud were this big moldy rug and some old glass jars. Thought they might be worth something though. By the looks of the blood and guts around that wagon, whoever it belonged to won’t be using it.”

“Are you a fellow treasure hunter, master Sylvester?”

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#669 Post by Rex »

Orgoth

Stands and uses the break to rest, watching silently, leaning on his spear as Sven talks to Sylvester.

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#670 Post by sastaz »

Gerdal smiles warmly, giving the other group a "that friend's nice mother baking those delicious pies" look, putting her crate down and having a look at small wooden spoon from her backpack.

Of course, she's just pretending, in reality she's ready if the shit hits the fan, so to speak. If the manure hits the whirlwind spell? :lol:

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#671 Post by redwarrior »

Isvand eyes the new group carefully, looking for any possibility of an attack. He lets Sven handle the talking and moves a little off. So that he has a decent line of sight should melee ensue.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#672 Post by Spearmint »

May 4th 1066.

"Smoke?" the warrior of the group reaches into his waist band, not withdrawing a dagger but a pouch of tobacco. He offers some to the group. The porters relax their burdens a little though a couple of the guard maintain a wary ill-at -ease watch into the mist.

"Wagon eh? Unfortunate. Oh you have a tame wolf. Maybe you have some ranger skills and can guide us more safely." You can't tell if Sylvester believes the unlikely story. He pulls out a little scroll map. It is hand drawn and show few details.

"Are you familiar with the Barrow Mounds? I have noted this Obelisk, a stone marked in a black feral tongue. Have you discovered it in your travels?" he looks trying to see if the monument strikes a chord of recognition. It doesn't of course.

"Well, a few hundred yards to the east is a supposed legendary moated knoll. We hope to excavate the hillsides and see what lies beneath.

What have you seen during your trek? Apart from wagons. Quite busy here today, you are the second group we have stumbled upon."

Your hands can relax off sword hilts as this group isn't visibly set up to intimidate.

any questions, actions, trades, attacks.
Last edited by Spearmint on Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#673 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sven visibly relaxes, but politely declines the offer of smoke, initially wondering how the man could possibly know his wolfs real name.

He smiles politely but suddenly becomes very interested in Sylvester’s drawing. He looks it over carefully before answering the man honestly. “We have….seen the mounds, and I can tell you that you are headed pretty much straight for them. Though I can honestly say that we have never seen or even heard of this obelisk you seek.”

“We only explored a small portion of the overall area though. We are not well versed. What you seek isn’t located anywhere in the southern portion, that much I can tell you.”

“Since information is worth more than gold out here, I will share what we do know, in hopes that you will do the same……..The mounds are a horribly dangerous place! Filled with undead monsters and mottled with ruin! I won’t tell you to turn back, because I know you won’t, but take my advice and be careful!”

He raises his voice a bit, making sure all those gathered can hear. “We lost two good friends just last night. Ripped apart by some horrible abominations with a paralyzing touch and an insatiable lust for flesh. These men were our friends, and today we had to bury them. This place is at least as dangerous as you’ve heard, and probably worse! Please. I beg you all. Be careful!”

Now…….tell me more about this other group you saw? Heading back to town as well?”

Sven introduces the crew, encouraging them to ask any other questions they might think of.

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#674 Post by sastaz »

Gerdal adds

"Also, it seems like the lizardmen are preparing for war. We encountered a troop on our way here. Again, please be careful."

"Pray tell, what is the moated knoll?"

Does Gerdal recognize these men from before?
Last edited by sastaz on Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#675 Post by Rex »

Orgoth

"This place is dangerous for sure, the bog claimed the wagon we found and the foul creatures we encountered claimed 2 of our group. You will need to be ever weary."

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#676 Post by redwarrior »

Seeing that the leaders of the group seem to be friendly, Isvand will relax, share some of his tobacco, and engage in small talk, and mention Don't forget the pit trap! There are traps down there!

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#677 Post by Spearmint »

May 4th 1066.

"Pray tell, what is the moated knoll?"

Does Gerdal recognize these men from before?
The baggage handlers and porters are typical poorer villagers or mercenaries hiring themselves out as cheap labour. The other half dozen look to be a related team much in the same way you are. They are not especially recognisable, Brulé and Sylvester the most notable of the group. The former an obvious fighter type and the robed man a mage.

"The Moated Knoll. I understand the Barrow Mounds were all distinct, each internee having a unique mausoleum or burial place. This one is surrounded by a wide algae filled ditch, a mini moat as it were. No doubt the water drains internally so I expect the tomb to be flooded. Hence we will try to dig through from the top down or find an entrance seal we can breakthrough."

Sven gives a little report and asks regarding the other Moor explorers.

"A ragtag, dispirited group of adventurers from the Moon Peaks I think. At least they said they may return there but they were heading back towards Helix. Strange, the warriors had sliced off their 'topknot' chomages."

At the mention of your troubles the other party chat and reason together. "Information is worth gold as you say. I presume if I may you are venturing back to the village too. Ten foot poles to test for traps we have but we have limited capabilities in some areas. Perchance you have an excess of holy water and the like we could trade. The church of St Ygg's and the Herne conclave were as dry as a dwarfs throat. We can pay if you have some extra."

out in the Moors, you can inflate trade prices on a supply/demand/necessity basis. If you have any stuff you can trade Sylvester will pay above the odds.

next actions please

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#678 Post by sastaz »

Gerdal does not have anything useful to trade at this time, but she can put the kettle on and make some tea for both groups if anybody is interested.

She will also tell the tale of the flesh eaters cold dead hands that can make a giant warrior immobile within a minute. Ranged weapons is to be preferred.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#679 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sven takes a good, long look at each of the other groups faces as they talk, even having Smokie sniff them up for good measure. He wants to try to remember them again if he ever sees them around town.

“Tell you what Sylvester. You seem like a pretty cool cat to me. I propose we make an arrangement. We planned on doing exactly what you are proposing, coming back out here with the proper tools and digging our way into one of those mounds. As you can see, we just weren’t equipped for large scale excavation on this trip.”

“What if our two groups form up as a loose cooperative of sorts? Help each other out when we can, and keep each other informed about what goes on out here when the other group is away. We might be able to help out in other ways too. Think it over. Like I said, information is gold and there is some manner of safety in larger numbers.”

“I am sure we would have remembered seeing a mound with its own moat, so it must be located somewhere towards the middle of the mass. Strange, the few mounds we did see looked quite similar, almost identical in some cases. Most carried no markings at all.”

When the man asks about holy water, Sven snickers and nods. “See? There you go. We are helping each other out already.” He pulls out 3 of his 5 vials of the precious zombie melting liquid and shows the man the quality of the lead lined flasks. “I may have bought the last ones they had. At least that’s what the priest told me. They were a fortune, as I’m sure you know, but I won’t insult you with some ridiculous ‘take-it-or-leave-it’ price. Why don’t you make me an offer. What would they be worth to you once a barrow whight is drooling down your back?”

“Oh ya, that other group you saw. Were they dwarves?”

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#680 Post by Rex »

Orgoth

Orgoth just watches and listens.

Return to “Completed Expeditions”