Meetings in the Meanwhile

thirdkingdom
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Meetings in the Meanwhile

#21 Post by Rex »

Shmara

Shmara arrives in Draea, she looks for the first place with a stable for her horses. "You there, where can I find a Stable and Inn?"

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by thirdkingdom »

Shmara finds Draea to be an orderly, industrious community. Where Kimrid, her home, was depopulated by the depredations of the last Nadir -- almost half the houses stand empty, and the halls of the Temple of Mnencir are strangely quiet -- Draea is alive with activity; the streets are crowded, and she can hear the everpresent sound of steel on steel in the forges, pounding out the heartbeat of the town. Many of the folk she sees are strange, it is true -- with skin of gunmetal grey, or rust red, and hair like steel springs -- but here and there she sees humans, walking amongst the ironskins, dressed plainly and simply.

"Ah, another softskin!" exclaims a voice behind her, and Shmara turns to see a stout ironskin male dressed in a loose tunic, with three deep furrows dug cross-wise into his chest. "I am Mimon, the Captain of the Guards, and I was told to watch out for Lady Zellar's replacement. You will find the rest of your companions at the Lodge. Come," he says, "let me show you."

Mimon leads Shmara through Draea, eventually coming to a long, low building of wood on the outskirts of town. "When the road was opened up and the Baron realized we would be seeing more and more of your kind he ordered us to make ready a building that could be used for travelers to stay, sleep, and eat, should they desire, as we do no have any of these "inns" that others have spoken of." Mimon leads Shmara around the back, to a fenced off practice ground where two warriors spar, in a circle, surrounded by a large group of mercenaries. "I believe those are the two you seek -- Feargus and Gardo," he says.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by shaidar »

Leitz wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:29 pm Ardath and Newton

Ardath nodded, and then set down enough coin for another round for Newton and his men. "I will secure a mount tonight, or get up early and find another before breakfast. In the morning, then."
Newton nods "Aye, the morning then." he looks at his companions "We have an early start so I think I will go to my bed. I would suggest you three do the same, we have a long day tomorrow. I won't be forcing you, you're grown men to be making your own decisions, but we won't be making compensation in our travel for those with a hangover I can promise that"

The three young men glance at each other and then the younger two look at Ribar expectantly. Ribar looks at Newton and nods solemly "Maybe just a little longer, sir. We promise we will be in a suitable state for tomorrow's travel"

Newton smiles back "I'm sure you will" he stands and leads Ardath away, winking and dropping his voice low "They've earned the right to be treated as men, they fought well in their first battle. Still, youth need to learn their mistakes the hard way. When I was their age I would have been up all night. This is a test and a right of passage for them"

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Leitz »

Ardath and Newton
shaidar wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:32 am Newton smiles back "I'm sure you will" he stands and leads Ardath away, winking and dropping his voice low "They've earned the right to be treated as men, they fought well in their first battle. Still, youth need to learn their mistakes the hard way. When I was their age I would have been up all night. This is a test and a right of passage for them"
Ardath grinned. "We all learn things the hard way, some times. I certainly did. And, like them, I need to prepare. While I am doubtless older, whether or not I am wiser remains to be seen."

This will change the last bit of our PM thread, because they don't have a few days to get ready. I'll save Ardath's monster comment for another time.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Rex »

Shmara

"Thank you, your kindness is noted. Is there a place for my 3 horses by chance? I can pay for stabling and care." She gives the place a good look over as she looks for Feargus and Gardo. "What do these Feargus and Gardo look like?"

I have my equipment list done on paper, just need to get it typed in, I am a very slow typer and have some errands I have to run so it will be later.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by thirdkingdom »

Rex wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:42 pm Shmara

"Thank you, your kindness is noted. Is there a place for my 3 horses by chance? I can pay for stabling and care." She gives the place a good look over as she looks for Feargus and Gardo. "What do these Feargus and Gardo look like?"

I have my equipment list done on paper, just need to get it typed in, I am a very slow typer and have some errands I have to run so it will be later.
Mimon

"Those two soft-skins over there, the ones fencing with each other."

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by shaidar »

Ardath and Newton

In the morning Ardath arrives at breakfast to find Newton and retinue already there and tucking in, well Newton is tucking in but the other three look a little tired and not particularly hungry.

"Good morning. I tend to be an early riser, I like to greet nature at sunrise"

The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#28 Post by The_Wanderer »

thirdkingdom wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:08 pm Mimon

"Those two soft-skins over there, the ones fencing with each other."
Feargus

Feargus lets his shield take Gardo’s blow from the practice sword and dances backward. ”I’m still not used to them calling us softskins!”

He is turning to meet the newcomer when Gardo’s follow up blow thrashes him soundly on the cheek. He takes the blow with aplomb and dashes out of the sparring ring chuckling. “I’m Feargus and the big one is Gardo. Don’t drop your guard if your sparring with him.

Goshawk! Come take a look at this! Is it going to leave a welt? The iron skin ladies tend to scoff at those!”

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Rex »

Shmara

"Well met Feargus. I am Shmara, I have come to offer my aid." She bows in greeting.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Leitz »

Ardath and Newton
shaidar wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:47 pm "Good morning. I tend to be an early riser, I like to greet nature at sunrise"
"As am I. Usually," Ardath said, and then yawned. "I find the early morning quiet to be good for contemplation and prayer. Good news; the horse has been secured and my gear is ready to be strapped on. Depending on what else you suggest is needed, I should be ready to go after breaking my fast and kissing my wife goodbye one last time."

VonAlric
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#31 Post by VonAlric »

Gardo

Gardo's smile had disappeared some time back. "When did Feargus get this good? Maybe I'm slipping.... Maybe predictable..... Nah. He's gotten better. I better start training more...." He calls out to the men as he feints and circles. "You never know... how your opponent will.. fight you. So, it... is best for... you to control the... flow and force them... to a place favora....ble to you." As he hears Mimon talking to someone about soft-skins, Gardo's eyes widen.

He quickly strikes Feargus's shield then spins as Feargus responds with some quip. He follows up and tags Feargus's cheek soundly. As his opponent runs off to the side, Gardo turns his attention to the men. "See that? You never know what can give you an opening. But, always make sure that you can take the opening without putting yourself in more harm. Some opponents you may face do have certain tendencies though," he tosses a nod towards his sparing partner. "It is amazing how women can turn the tide in a fight. Something about the sh.... What?"

Having heard Mariusz clear his throat, Gardo looks to his man. "What? I was not saying anything wrong. Or bad. We had that talk more than once." Mariusz continues to stare at him, silent. "I was only pointing out how men can get distracted by... Why are you looking at me like that now? It is a valid point! You remember that time when my brother sent that pros... Wait... Are you trying to refer to that last talk we had? About now continuing on and on with a conversation when it would be best to not say... anything... else... Right. Got it." He points a thumb towards Feargus. "I'm going to go over there now. Okay? You men should do some sparring on your own, alright? Go ahead."

Approaching Feargus and the newcomer, Gardo stops to take a look at the cheek he struck. "Yeah, that's gonna leave a mark. Sorry about that." Placing his attention on the newcomer, he sizes her up. "I am Gardo of the Scarlet Warriors, slayer of the Nightstalker, bane of trolls and hydras, scourge of or..." He stops upon hearing the loud cough right behind him. "Or... you can just call me Gardo. You strike me as someone from Kimrid. Am I wrong?"
Last edited by VonAlric on Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's hard to explain puns to kleptomaniacs because they always take things literally.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Rex »

Shmara

"You are correct, I am from Kimrind. I have come to offer my aid in driving back the darkness."
She looks the pair over casually. "Perhaps I can spar with one of you after I have rested. Would one of you mind showing me to where I might lay my bedroll?"

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by shaidar »

Ardath and Newton

After breakfast Newton leaves Ribar and the others preparing the horses for the journey while he introduces Ardath to their factor, Tolniel Fer, and also helps with any last minute shopping needs.

VonAlric
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#34 Post by VonAlric »

Gardo

"Spar? Sure, that would be fine. Let's go ahead and show you where Baron lets us sleep while we are here in Draea." He walks ahead with a little smile on his fact and hums a bit. He glances over at Mariusz who has a quizzical expression for a few moments, then snaps his head up to look at Gardo, his face blanching. It takes several steps before things appear in Gardo's head. First, an image of the sparring match. Next, an image of Notai, causing his smile to drop. Finally, an image of Wulfka, causing his eyes to widen a bit in concern or panic. He looks to Mariusz who nods his head.

Composing himself, Gardo calls back to Feargus, "Good man, I think it would be a good thing for you to spar with our new friend here. It would let me get a better look at your fighting to help find any flaws so we can keep getting you better. Might be safer for me as well."
It's hard to explain puns to kleptomaniacs because they always take things literally.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Rex »

Shmara

"Whoever is up for it I guess." She follows along checking things around her as she goes.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Rex »

Shmara

Once settled in she goes looking for Gardo, Ardath, and Newton. "So what are your plans and how can I help out. I don't have many supplies, just my 3 horses and basic gear with some back up."

VonAlric
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#37 Post by VonAlric »

Gardo

"I think you should meet with the rest of the group as well. We are going to decide what the next steps are but I feel that we are heading north to look for some treasure. We need money, experience, and maybe a bit of magic to help us deal with some of the threats that we know about up here. Dragons aren't going to roll over for us just because we ask them to. Come hear what has to be said."

The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#38 Post by The_Wanderer »

VonAlric wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:39 pm Gardo

"I think you should meet with the rest of the group as well. We are going to decide what the next steps are but I feel that we are heading north to look for some treasure. We need money, experience, and maybe a bit of magic to help us deal with some of the threats that we know about up here. Dragons aren't going to roll over for us just because we ask them to. Come hear what has to be said."
Feargus
"Dragons or long dead...or only mostly dead sorcerors, am I right? I mean what are the chances that we stumble across one of those as we wander the wilderness! In all seriousness, your aid is greatly appreciated. I imagine we will be departing to go into the wild any day now. Mardan Cy already tells me he's been idle too long. The ironskins here don't dance to his music like he expects."

VonAlric
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#39 Post by VonAlric »

Gardo

He looks at Feargus. "Hey, we don't dance as Mardan expects either. He's got some wild thoughts there."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by Rex »

Shmara

"Yes I would like to come along."

Return to “A Brave New World (OSE)”