Spider Silk

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Spider Silk

#241 Post by Bluetongue »

Golgarth

The cleric is relieved to make it to the relative safety of the chalk tunnel.

I guess my feeling (as the player) is that it was a shame the ogre saved vs Sigrid's charm spell. Having the ogre accompanying us might have been a great aid to exploring the interior tunnels. And possibly, make the tunnels and the cave/ waterfall area into an ogre lair but keep him as some ally and use the place as a wilderness base? The honey is a source of food if the cabin isn't wrecked, berry bushes, forest for hunting in. I could see a longer benefit to having a charmed ogre.

Could Sigrid try again? Take some time to memorize the spell and if the ogre is still outside, that could be an option for later.

Golgarth (the character) would never agree or at least he would struggle with the idea (from his faith point of view), but I think it merits consideration.

As far as the next moves. Golgarth thinks "Let's get the rest of the spider silk on the spools and then get out of here."

I am also reminded that Sir Dewey has not used the bandages to heal up and is the most injured among us, so I will use a Cure Light Wounds to partly restore some measure of his health.

Golgarth casts Cure light wounds [1d8]=2

Shucks! Probably needs to pray and fast more.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#242 Post by gurusql »

Cadeweed

Just quoting the Player Handbook here, but Charm Person does not work on an Ogre. With the exception of a Gnoll all of the creatures are size M.

We have spent the half the time (it is now 10 AM) we planned on spider hunting today looking for a hole and interacting with the ogre. I would recommend that we cut our losses and head back to town.

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#243 Post by Nordbo »

I would recommend that we cut our losses and head back to town.
Cosmo

pops up from his fern and bracken cover, shakes some fiddleheads out of his hair and agrees: "Hear, hear. That does sound like a wise suggestion"

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#244 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey

The party regroups in the safe-ish tunnels. Sir Dewey stands at the entrance making sure everyone gets in. "Thanks for the healing, Gorgarth. You're right, I was keeping the bandage for an emergency." He nods at the cleric. "I've had worse. This is just a flesh wound."

As they all gather, he proposes the next step. "As much as I hate to say this, but now may be the best time to leave. The Ogre is busy, we could go past without another encounter. But I yield to Mai and Golgarth who arranged this expedition. If they want to press on for glory and riches, I gladly do so."

"A group decision is required. I don't think anyone wants to make that trek back short-handed. We all stay or we all go. I will follow Golgarth and Mai."

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#245 Post by Bluetongue »

Golgarth

Sure I can accept returning to Helix with less spools full, but I think the extra is only about 35gp worth which may not be that great a risk for.

At least you know spiders lurk in the cliff and in the tunnels and if folk want to return, there are a few other exploration opportunities.

Personally I would like to know more about the presence of gnolls and the woman turned into tree form. Future research.

If we can sneak by the ogre or take another path, I am fine with going back.

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#246 Post by Darithe »

Sigrid agrees, best to make our way back to town and regroup.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#247 Post by Urson »

Mai
I do not wish to become the monkey, trapped by his own greed. Let us return to the village to collect our payment.
FA FO

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#248 Post by Spearmint »

April 30th 1066.

Quarrel in the quarry:

1.00pm
Weather: Cloudy, light rain.
Light: Torch carried by Solly. Lantern by Mai.

Conditions: Golgarth -2hp, Sir Dewey -5hp

The group discuss options. In the mouth of the chalk tunnel, debating the pros and cons of leaving now or exploring further. A watch is kept out for the ogre in case he gets hungry for more than honey. You are not harassed further by the giant humanoid who has disappeared back into the eastern forest and can munch your own food supplies in peace before braving the trek back.

The climb up the rugged steps in the chalk cliff is fairly easy. Solly locates the trail that brought you here and navigates the way past the strange flora and around the ant-ridden creek. Lots of broken and nibbled giant ant remains are scattered about. Hundreds of blotches of squished red bodies staining the earth. It is not the flock of birds feasting on them but some furry menace. Long and sleek brown fur with a creamy underbelly, ever hungry, ever inquisitive. Several weasels, crouching maybe three feet high at the shoulder but twice that from snout to rump, the creatures feast upon the ant swarm.

There are a quartet of adult sized weasels and several kitts in the immediate vicinity.

actions please

Attachments
Giant weasels
Giant weasels
we16.jpg (143.95 KiB) Viewed 456 times

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#249 Post by Bluetongue »

Golgarth

Big critters that I am sure would nibble use as much as foot long juicy ants. But if we can avoid melee against their teeth and claws I am all for it. Though I am aware their is a farrier in the village and the pelts of such a splendid creature might fetch a pretty penny.

Though I am also for splendid creatures stating that way in their habitat.

"Grrr ... scat," he shouts at the large mammals, threatening but not hitting the nearest creature.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#250 Post by Urson »

Mai
Mai attempts to give these creatures a wide berth. She won't attack, and will try to drive them away if they get too curious.
FA FO

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#251 Post by gurusql »

Cadeweed

Cadeweed also gives the mammals a wide birth, keeping to the shadows.

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#252 Post by Nordbo »

Cosmo

takes as evasive actions as possible without straying from the group.

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#253 Post by Darithe »

Weasels! Sigrid pauses being sure to keep Sir Dewey, Mai and Golgarth between her and them. Mustela, is what Higva had called them when they had discovered several in the woods during her lessons. She had said amulets made from their bones were especially potent. But Sigrid isn't inclined to find out, at least not this day, she was wet from the rain and they still had a long hike ahead them in damp clothes. She moves ahead hoping Golgarth's shout has proven properly frightening.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#254 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey

"This forest must be incredibly rich, every creature is bigger than life. I'm starting to feel small." The Knight compliments Golgarth's lead and bangs his shield a few times to alert the weasels and try to ward them off.

He doesn't advance but won't make the same mistake of showing weakness again.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#255 Post by Spearmint »

April 30th 1066.

Quarrel in the quarry:

1.00pm
Weather: Cloudy, light rain.
Light: Torch carried by Solly. Lantern by Mai.

Conditions: Golgarth -2hp, Sir Dewey -5hp

The dark forest, dense and overgrown does have an abundance of life. Though the ground is damp, the waters brackish, the trees are in bloom and the shrubbery verdant in colours. Life above ground, in the canopy of the trees is also flourishing. The birdsong tweeting and croaking of frogs, those 'minor' inhabitants of the wilderness claiming a mini portion of the territory. Trekking back along the meandering deer paths, you slow down a little more wary of going through the baboons section. A bark, high in the boughs alerts you to primates around but none beat chests and a path to challenge your intrusion.

The blossoming meadow to your right though Solly takes no diversion. Respects have been paid to the Lady of the Forest. Streaks of two tone black and white fur watch you from a den below fallen trunks. While not voraciously aggressive, the musk scent of the skunks make them one of the most unwelcome foes. As with the weasels, they are avoided. The pelts of both creatures probably worth ten times the value of the silk spools. The creatures live to be hunted another day.

By early evening, the outskirts of the village are reached. Another mile and you can return to the luxury of the tavern.

so I am rounding up the expedition here as you arrive back in civilization.

Post any actions and discuss the expedition and how you might divide any treasure, trove found.

I will update some xp rewards.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#256 Post by Bluetongue »

Golgarth

I am fine with returning to the village and tavern. We have the silk spools to drop off and whoever hired Solly, as he was brought back in one piece should get some fee returned as well. Not sure we had too much treasure.

There was the military pick that radiated an aura of magic. I am fine with giving it to a character to use rather than cash in its value.

For my character it was a learning experience.

He has taken his lump of chalk rock back as well to shape into a memorial stone. How do the Tributes work? We can gain extra XP by getting the bard to sing about us but that means deciding to swap 100gp in payment for extra XP each or someone with a high charisma, (paladin?) script a sing or poem and perform it in the tavern. Any ways we can boost xp will be great.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#257 Post by gurusql »

Cadeweed

"I think that Sigrid should be paid back for the guide off the top. Along with the pick there was the goin coins and then the spider web payment. I would agree that whomever could use a magical pick would be best to take that and perhaps not take a share of the small amount of coin we get.", says the small halfing

I never did understand if this a Military pick or mining pick. If it is a military pick, I would find it unusual if someone could use it (that is a rare weapon) if it is something for mining then there could be more general use.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#258 Post by Spearmint »

Gnomes receive proficiency in Military picks.
this is from my Houses Rules section on weapons and proficiency.

This was the description:
You take with you the pack of coins and Golgarth checks the pick. It looks small in his hands, perhaps designed and weighted for a shorter person. It looks like a hybrid 'bisacuta' with tailored spikes on either side of the haft. One a short tapered crowbill, the other having an upper serrated edge. Certainly in the right hands it could punch through a rock wall or plate armour with equal aplomb. Sigrid might be able to test if it radiates any specific dweomer.
Sigrid cast detect magic on it and it pinged as radiating an enhancement that might increase a wielders power and accuracy in use.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#259 Post by gurusql »

I did not put together all the details then it looks like it is set-up for Cosmo

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#260 Post by Nordbo »

Cosmo

(meta-)overhears the discussion about gnomes being able to use military picks and is chuffed to be considered, but is quick to point out that: "Ahem, as much as there may lie some truth in my humble kin's skills with such tools, I really haven't done much to deserve the honour ? Some feeble web-pulling, and conjuring up a fake steak does not a hero make. However, if the group would consider lending me this valuable tool, to solely use for the group's benefit, I would be happy to accept the responsibility; and will readily hand it back the minute anyone of you needs it better. This I swear upon my token." and shows everyone his Hand of Hoodoo

Return to “Completed Expeditions”