Spider Silk

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Spider Silk

#1 Post by Spearmint »

April 29th 1066

Helix Village, Duchy of Aerik

8.00am: Sunshine but cloudy, light breeze.

Deciding on the opportunity to harvest silk as a way to earn money and serve the village, the group of entrepreneurial adventurers set off for the Blackened Forest spider webs.

On the way, the team collect half a dozen empty reels for winding the threads and a large entangling net and a strange lance type pole with a pair of oversized pincer clamps. Tooled up they trek off having been informed that lots of webs are spun over some marble ruins about 10 miles into the forest if they dared go that far.

As for what other dangers may exist, that remains a mystery as no one asked questions or researched any answers. The whole trip will be a learning experience, hopefully a profitable one.

okay team. Post any actions and comments you make.

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Spider Silk

#2 Post by Nordbo »

Cosmo

more as a reflex than a genuine precaution, detects magic on the "strange lance type pole". Is it weird and wondrous or just....weird.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Spearmint »

Cosmo.
vice grippers and drum spoolers
You can save the spell. If Mai repeats her conversation you will understand the net and pole with grippers on are used in snaring and holding still, the spider while you draw the line of silk from its rear abdomen gland.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by gurusql »

Cadeweed
I had read the "sales pitch" on this project that Mai received. I am waiting to hear it told to the group for Cadeweed to comment.

If Mai does not come within about 10-15 min of the appointed time then Cadeweed will say, "It appears that Mai has not chosen this adventure this morning. Let's head over an talk to our employer, Valeron."

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey

The Knight arrives bright and early as promised. He nods at the others assembled and introductions are made.

"Do we have a guide? Or supplies? I'm afraid all I can contribute is my shield and weapon arm."

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by Bluetongue »

Golgarth

"From what I heard this morning over breakfast, your mace and shield may be all we need." he says to the paladin.

Just how big are these spiders? I am going to unfold and stretch out the bet to get an idea of the size. Man-sized, dwarf sized, halfling sized? God forbid ogre sized!

I don't mind carrying the vice gripper tool. I think nets should go to folk who have good throwing and dexterity skills.

Sigrid and Mai are ladies. I think that gives them privelage to be late.

If we want to hire a scout to take is to the most/least spider infested, silky threaded area, I am fine with that.

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#7 Post by Darithe »

After a long nice night of undisturbed sleep, Sigrid dresses and is surprised to find the others already assembled. "Good morn all!," she greets each of the early birds. "What a fine day. I'm sure Mai will be down shortly."

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#8 Post by Nordbo »

Cosmo

while fully understanding that the spiders involved will most likely not be of the domesticated kind, still takes time to wonder:

"Ahem, just curious about all this weapon talk. Aren't we just going to help with a harvest - when did armed confrontation enter the probability scenario ?"

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Spearmint »

April 29th 1066

8.05am: Sunshine but cloudy, light breeze.

Mai arrives via the market, having purchased a small kid (animal not little human) which she leads along.

As a group you have visited Valeron's place to collect the tools. He explains that the spiders don't have a specific territory per se, more that they are territorial once a hunting ground has been established. It would seem they have an intelligence to migrate the forest on the trail of the herds that live among the trees. They can be found in any caves or subterranean passages and reputedly mass near some desolate marble temple ruin that lies deep in the heart of the forest, leagues away.

(Here is a nice link to actual amateur spider silk collection.)

https://www.instructables.com/How-to-ma ... lk-Thread/

From the net and conversations, you can estimate you are facing large dangerous predators ranging from large dog to above man sized. Rumours exist of even more gargantuan creatures (Shelob sized) although Valeron has never seen one. Maybe those who have never lived to tell the tale.

Silk may be obtained directly from loosing the threads of spun webs though the threads are of a lesser standard and produce lesser quality garb. Hence drawing the silk from the creature. You have several spools so could limit you risk and reward by collecting a mixture of both.

The forest is a few miles north and curving west. The first spring harvest has been obtained from the nearest section of forest last week but the expectation is that new webs will have been produced.

looking at the map in the settings, you have three hexes, west, north and east of the village. Chose which one you will explore.

next actions, comments, questions please.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#10 Post by Bluetongue »

Golgarth

I have no particular questions. This is all new but he test grabs a couple of the party in jest with the vice gripper to see how it works.

Spiders have super strength. Not sure he can wrangle a spider enough to subdue it. Do the nets do more than entangle? Are they weighted with spiked to secure it in place?

I have prayed for some cure spells in my devotion time though his effective they are against poison I don't know.

If we are happy to go exploring without a guide (I am assuming from the narration that the forest is alive with these critters anywhere), then let's go straight up. (The centre hex).

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey

He chuckles at Gorgoth. "News travels fast, eh? Yeah, there was a bit of a situation with a dead man who didn't stay dead. Those moors sound dangerous. I'll have to prepare properly before venturing out there."

"Hopefully the harvest doesn't need armed confrontation. From what I've heard, the townsfolk can do it but have a guard with them in case the journey is met with danger." He tries to reassure Cosmo about the dangers of traveling.

"I would go hire a guide, but alas, I am currently broke. I could negotiate for someone, however. Do we have enough food for the journey?"

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#12 Post by Darithe »

"I have a few gold should you think we need a guide," Sigrid says. She isn't apprehensive about the trip but would prefer not to wander around aimlessly lest they encounter something more dangerous than spiders. She tightly clasps her goatskin bound book of magicks, not that she needed to study it, but just having it close made her more at ease.

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#13 Post by Nordbo »

Cosmo

"The centre hex it is then...ouch! Hey, stop pinching my centre with that contraption."

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by gurusql »

Cadeweed

"The center hex sounds great unless the guide says something different. My remaining questions are once you have the spider how long do you have to hold it get the thread? And how do you get it to start putting out the thread once you have it captured?"

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Urson »

Mai
Mai has been oddly silent until now.
Yes, to the center. There should be more of the creatures there, and more opportunity to fill our spools.
We should have some idea of our duties- who will grapple with the spider, who will collect the silk, and who will protect us from other creatures while the job is done. I know almost nothing of the task, but I would suggest our strongest to wrestle the beast, and our most nimble to gather the silk.
I have watched spiders capturing insects in their web. If the same applies to these monsters, the web will be released as soon as the spider attempts to capture prey. Then, we cut the web from our bait and begin reeling.
She scratches the kid's ears, as if she weren't casually discussing feeding it to a giant spider.
FA FO

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Spearmint »

April 29th 1066

8.15am: Sunshine but cloudy, light breeze.

The group finally set off, reinforced by a hireling from the Guild. Solly is a torchbearer guide, young and mostly inexperienced but had been with villagers on prior silk collections. Seconded to the group via Sir Dewey, he leads the group directly north from Helix. someone note the -11gp, -10sp costs in their post.

He chats to whoever listens on the way, informing you that the woods are very dangerous, the spider poison can kill and he is saving up to buy some small holding. The old chalk quarry. It was mined because the mineral provided nutrients to balance the acidity of the peat bogs soil and to act as a fertilizer. Brings up nice day marrows and pumpkins. I won the village 'Jack O'Lantern' carving this year." he sounds pleased with himself and informs you about a location in the northern forest.

You trek, billy goat bleating and nibbling dandelions along way. About two and a half miles, an hour of walking, you come to the fringe of the village surrounds, the last small farms and frontier cabins built in cleared patchworks of deforested land or cultivated arable plots. Beyond this the environment is less 'civilized', the forest a deep unchanging wilderness with tall coniferous trees reaching high and spreading bracken shrubs fighting to monopolise the faint rays of sunlight which filter down. The ground is flat but increasingly boggy. Not quite swamp like but certainly soft enough to sink your footsteps ankle deep in places. With the rise and fall of the water levels, the soil erosion exposes lots of tree roots, giving the impression the trunks cling to the ground by grasping clawed hands.

There is a very thin trail over the most solid ground which Solly guides you over.

comments and actions from the group please.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by gurusql »

Cadeweed

Cadeweed walks toward the front of the group with Solly, asking the hard questions like "What shapes and expressions did you use for the winning Jack O'Lantern? Do you have holding in mind you want to buy? How close is it to the chalk quarry?" before moving to the spider questions like "If someone does get a spider bite are there any local remediates or is the person more often just a goner? How did the villagers get the "captured' spider to start producing web? How long does it take to fill a spool?"

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey

The Knight will travel right behind or alongside Solly, keeping an eye out for things that go bump.

"The Chalk quarry, huh? Is it still used, or has it been mined out?"

"Good idea, Mai. I will gladly do whatever job we think best. I can grab the spider, or fend off others and stand guard."

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#19 Post by Bluetongue »

Golgarth

The cleric of Cromm Cruach listens intently. He watches the surrounding forest and makes note of the farms and cabins. Perhaps those outside the village centre have more needs, socially or spiritually. He carries the lance vice gripper. Checking the hinges are secure, screwing tighter and loose nuts. Better not to have equipment fail us.

"How big is the quarry? Is it still mined? Are their tunnels or just an open face?" he tries to ask some practical questions.

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#20 Post by Darithe »

Sigrid walks along quietly having paid the guide out of her coins. It was the least she could do after Golgarth paid for their lodgings. She listened to them all talking, content to just listen. That was how you learned things about the southlanders...not by yapping but by listening. After awhile she thought about home and hummed a tune. And finally added to the conversation, "I could cause them to doze off, but I doubt they would spin their silk while asleep."

-11 gold 10 silver

Return to “Completed Expeditions”