The Low Lantern

hedgeknight
Belkregos
Ranger
Ranger

Re: The Low Lantern

#81 Post by Belkregos »

tommy looks at the 2 fellows wondering their motives
we'll, the more we know the better....they could have their own plan, i'll go and talk to them and try to fish some information 
then turns to Moordock again
ok here's how we're going to go about this, first of all don't let anyone see you or recognize you before were ready to make a move, i'll be passing information to you from wherever ever i am, i can speak in your mind....
he demonstrates his telepathic abilities so Morlock is aware of what to expect, uses telepathic speech (sorcerer ability), awakened mind (warlock ability) and message (the cantrip)
i can reach out to you in these different ways to let you know what to expect and when to go, understand? 
he waits for an assertion from Morlockok,
ok, here it goes
1-  i'll go over to those 2 and try to figure out if we can use the in any way or how to get them out of our way
2- then i'll walk in to the low lantern to scout it out, i'll pretend i want to play cards, get a loan from Amrik or something, i'll let you know how many guards he has, last i saw he had at least one guarding the door and a weird spiny guy with him but i dont know if he's even there now
3- i'll relay all the info i get to you and let you know when to come in, 
an important part is that Amrik doesnt know we're together so we get the jump on him and his goons when we need it
if an hour passes after i walk in the low lantern and i haven't communicated something is not exactly right and you should come in  and we will figure it out
ok?

again waits for Morlok to give signs of understanding the plan
ok, here we go then
he starts to walk over the 2 diamond urchins associates 
Stitches:- 1st lvl Halfling-Rogue: basics HP:9, AC:14, init.:+3, Sw/Bow: +5 to hit/1d6+3 dam +Sneak attack!

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by hedgeknight »

Having put a plan in place, Tommy approaches the two men on the docks who are leaning against a brace of barrels, trying to look like they are not casing the Lantern. When it becomes apparent that Tommy is approaching them directly and not walking on by, they stiffen and hands go to weapons at their belts.
Seeing this, Tommy holds his hands up, palms out and walks on up. One of the thugs, sneers at the tabaxi and says, "Whatcha want, kitty cat? Some milk?"

Urchin Rogue.png
Urchin Rogue.png (91.22 KiB) Viewed 704 times

The other man laughs and then grimaces from the obvious wound in his side. Roughly wrapped bandages can be seen under his leather vest, and Tommy can smell fresh blood leaking from both men.
Winter is coming...

Belkregos
Ranger
Ranger

#83 Post by Belkregos »

hedgeknight wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:31 pm
Seeing this, Tommy holds his hands up, palms out and walks on up. One of the thugs, sneers at the tabaxi and says, "Whatcha want, kitty cat? Some milk?"
tommy  smiles and replies
yea, wouldn't mind some if you didn't hold on to that bearded dwarfs tit so greedily 
(he chuckles to himself) but tries to soften the interaction
ok, ok, apologies, didn't mean no disrespect 

so what's ole jeweled beard up to on this side of town? maybe i can help, that silverspoon (he nods to the low lantern) sgot something coming
Stitches:- 1st lvl Halfling-Rogue: basics HP:9, AC:14, init.:+3, Sw/Bow: +5 to hit/1d6+3 dam +Sneak attack!

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by hedgeknight »

The two thugs bristle at Tommy's reply about Dwarf tits and such, but do nothing else; one of them can barely move.
When asked about her business with the Low Lantern, the two men glance at each other and the same one replies, "Who wants to know? You employed by the Fist? The Guild?"
Winter is coming...

Belkregos
Ranger
Ranger

#85 Post by Belkregos »

hedgeknight wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:54 pm The two thugs bristle at Tommy's reply about Dwarf tits and such, but do nothing else; one of them can barely move.
When asked about her business with the Low Lantern, the two men glance at each other and the same one replies, "Who wants to know? You employed by the Fist? The Guild?"
come on, do i look like the man or a monger, no, no, i'm not affiliated, Im TommyD'Cat and am just looking for work opportunities and want to make sure when fur starts flying is not mine...
Look, i can walk in and let you know how many guards are in there ...... if you put in a good word with the milk provider and a small fee of course, you've got nothing to lose and the intel you get will be way better 
listen if you dont have coin now just make sure to let her know im in there and helped and i'll figure out the fee situation with her just let me know when i can see her or set something up, but the word you put in for me with her better be worth me risking walking in there

he gives them a knowing look and then looks around in a conspiratorial way
so, are you waiting on more people? i mean, you look capable and all but might need a bit more
what was all the fuss about last night any way?, i heard an explosion

OOC:
OOC:tommy is trying to convice them and get information from them, mainly if they are planning a move and when
[url=https://www.unseenservant.com/index.php ... acid=16623]Persuasion:[1d20+6]=20+6=26 ; Insight: [1d20+4]=17+4=21 ;

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by hedgeknight »

Belkregos wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:12 pm [url=https://www.unseenservant.com/index.php ... acid=16623]Persuasion:[1d20+6]=20+6=26 ; Insight: [1d20+4]=17+4=21
The two men look back and forth at each other for a few seconds. One shrugs and the other nods, and the one who has done all the talking so far, looks around to make sure no one else is close by, and says, "Last night, Ol' Straightstick and his Faithless invaded our territory and tried to kill us all. Word on the street is he made a deal with the Rivington Rats for back up, but then screwed them over too. They was supposed to run interference with the Fist, while the Faithless took care of us.
"Well, the old bugger didn't count on having a mole in his ranks, and we knew what was going down and were ready for them. We kicked the shit out of them and Diamond Urchin damn near killed Straightstick, but he got away and we believe him to be hiding out with his buddy Amrik, at the Low Lantern yonder.
"Our kingpin went to pay a visit to the Rats this morning to get their help to finally put an end to Straightstick and the Faithless. We're pretty beat up, as you can prolly tell, so we need some extra muscle before we storm the Lantern."

The man looks Tommy up and down and continues, "You smell like a shit house. What do you want with the Lantern?"
Winter is coming...

Belkregos
Ranger
Ranger

#87 Post by Belkregos »

hedgeknight wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:56 pm The two men look back and forth at each other for a few seconds. One shrugs and the other nods, and the one who has done all the talking so far, looks around to make sure no one else is close by, and says, "Last night, Ol' Straightstick and his Faithless invaded our territory and tried to kill us all. Word on the street is he made a deal with the Rivington Rats for back up, but then screwed them over too. They was supposed to run interference with the Fist, while the Faithless took care of us.
"Well, the old bugger didn't count on having a mole in his ranks, and we knew what was going down and were ready for them. We kicked the shit out of them and Diamond Urchin damn near killed Straightstick, but he got away and we believe him to be hiding out with his buddy Amrik, at the Low Lantern yonder.
"Our kingpin went to pay a visit to the Rats this morning to get their help to finally put an end to Straightstick and the Faithless. We're pretty beat up, as you can prolly tell, so we need some extra muscle before we storm the Lantern."
"
yea, i can help, sounds like a lot of things happened last night... scrambles are opportunities and if we play it right we might just land on our feet on this straightstiks might be in there huh... that might complicate things but he has it coming alright... any ways last time i was in there Amrik just had about 3 guards; 2 up top and one with him down stairs in the tap room, ah and a fucking spined looking devil right next to him..... but if straightstiks is holing up in there he might have whatever's left of his thugs with him too

hedgeknight wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:56 pm
The man looks Tommy up and down and continues, "You smell like a shit house. What do you want with the Lantern?"

What smell? 
tommy sniffs his armpits
its a masculine smell, 
gives the man a smirk
don't worry about it, i'll make it work, i have a few tricks up my sleeve and a score to settle with Amirk
he uses the cantrip Prestidigitation to hide the smell and create a smell of manly cologne :) 
listen, i will let you know what i find out, don't be alarmed if you hear my voice when not expected, like i said, i have a few tricks up my sleeve, just make sure to let your crew know im with you ok,
when do you think they'll get here though? in case i get in trouble i know how long i need to hold out?  

and remember first things first though, make sure to tell your crew and the rats not to shoot at me or try to kill me, i'm on your side
sounds good?
ah also, there'll be another guy helping me, a nasty looking big fellow, just stay clear of the hulking scar faced brute, he's just trying to help  

if we agree tommy nods and moves away to walk in to the low lantern he goes on a roundabout way so he doesn't go straight to the boat, looks for a place where he can hide for a minute or 2 to prepare, he'll cast disguise self to make his clothes look fine and expensive, just better materials and some accents, tries not to make the illusion to obvious but just better and expensive materials 
he uses telepathic speech to inform Morlock that there might be some other people joining on the fun and that when he sees people start to gather he should start to make his way in that way he's in position before things go crazy
once ready and looking sharp he starts to move towards the low lantern and walks in

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by hedgeknight »

Belkregos wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:50 am yea, i can help, sounds like a lot of things happened last night... scrambles are opportunities and if we play it right we might just land on our feet on this straightstiks might be in there huh... that might complicate things but he has it coming alright... any ways last time i was in there Amrik just had about 3 guards; 2 up top and one with him down stairs in the tap room, ah and a fucking spined looking devil right next to him..... but if straightstiks is holing up in there he might have whatever's left of his thugs with him too
The two men flinch visibly at the mention of the word 'devil.'
One of them makes the sign to ward off evil and the other just gapes at Tommy with his mouth open.

listen, i will let you know what i find out, don't be alarmed if you hear my voice when not expected, like i said, i have a few tricks up my sleeve, just make sure to let your crew know im with you ok,
when do you think they'll get here though? in case i get in trouble i know how long i need to hold out?  
and remember first things first though, make sure to tell your crew and the rats not to shoot at me or try to kill me, i'm on your side
sounds good? ah also, there'll be another guy helping me, a nasty looking big fellow, just stay clear of the hulking scar faced brute, he's just trying to help  

The most talkative of the pair says, "They should be around in a couple of hours. Hopefully a few Rats will show up with them. Today is the day we send Ol' Straightstick straight to hell!"

Tommy walks off and makes himself ready, and then approaches the Low Lantern for the second time since he has been in the city. There is a noticeable presence of more thug types hanging around doors and on deck. Several of them look beat up and bloodied, but all try to hide it. They are all dressed in dark grays and blacks, with dark hooded cloaks. They pay little attention to the "dandy" walking past them, and Tommy is able to make it inside without being stopped.
Once inside, he hears Amrik's voice cut through the den of others sitting around the bar and at the tables. He must be downstairs conducting business in his usual place. There is no sign of the two Drow at the back table, nor are there any games of chance going on. Inside, the clientele is about the same as on the outside; roughed up ruffians, kicking back a few drinks and seeming to be waiting for something. They appear antsy and nervous for the most part, and the bartender seems to echo their moods. There is no sign of Laraelra and the door to her private chamber is shut.
Until...she speaks to him from behind the bar where she is crouched, getting another barrel of beer to tap! "So, my favorite pussy cat has returned. Want some more milk?"
She is smiling, but her eyes are hard and anxious.
Winter is coming...

Belkregos
Ranger
Ranger

#89 Post by Belkregos »

hedgeknight wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:44 pm
Tommy walks off and makes himself ready, and then approaches the Low Lantern for the second time since he has been in the city. There is a noticeable presence of more thug types hanging around doors and on deck. Several of them look beat up and bloodied, but all try to hide it. They are all dressed in dark grays and blacks, with dark hooded cloaks. They pay little attention to the "dandy" walking past them, and Tommy is able to make it inside without being stopped.
Once inside, he hears Amrik's voice cut through the den of others sitting around the bar and at the tables. He must be downstairs conducting business in his usual place. There is no sign of the two Drow at the back table, nor are there any games of chance going on. Inside, the clientele is about the same as on the outside; roughed up ruffians, kicking back a few drinks and seeming to be waiting for something. They appear antsy and nervous for the most part, and the bartender seems to echo their moods.
​Tommy walks confidently like he knows where hes going while he keeps count of the people on the deck and the bar room to relay the information when ready, tries to see if they seem position for defense expecting an attack or if they feel safe for the moment, looking for what kind of weapons they have and the positions

Perception: [1d20+4]=16+4=20 ; Insight: [1d20+4]=5+4=9
hedgeknight wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:44 pm "So, my favorite pussy cat has returned. Want some more milk?"
She is smiling, but her eyes are hard and anxious.
when he sees Larealra his heart skips but tries not to show it, his mind was set on revenge and tactics but seeing her curves his mind wanders off to more pleasurable memories, her voice and and anxious eyes bring him back and tries to refocus
oh babe, you're a sight (he smiles) i'll definitely want a sip when the place settles a bit (he looks around the bar implying the place is busier than usual) 
but for now (he looks at the bottles behind the bar and looks for a bottle that seems like it's been handled recently, something a bit above regular quality booze, he doesn't necessarily trust the alcohol will be unaltered so he takes a chance on a bottle that has seen some use)i'll take a shot of that there (he names the bottle, he tastes it and if it seems ok continues) just leave it here i need it, (pays for the bottle, will keep an eye on his glass and bottle and only drink from them from now)
Perception: [1d20+4]=12+4=16 ; Insight: [1d20+4]=4+4=8

takes another sip
to be honest i came at this hour with hopes it would be quieter and among other things maybe you had some time and we might continue where we left... but it looks like the lantern has become a very popular spot all of a sudden...
i don't blame them, the sight of you here is the only thing that would keep me in this city and well, i know its fast but you know this last job went really well for me, it left me with some proceeds and maybe i thought i could invest it with you, i can see you can run the business but i don't know, maybe you want to expand or something i know its fast, but would you have it any other way?

the guy downstairs, Amirk, is he your partner?  I was thinking of talking with him also....

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by hedgeknight »

the guy downstairs, Amirk, is he your partner? I was thinking of talking with him also....

Laraelra huffs and pours herself a glass from Tommy's bottle. She knocks it back, sucks her teeth, and says, "Partner? Hardly. Amrik Vanthampur has no partners. He's all about himself. What are you talking to him about, if you don't mind me asking? He's been a little preoccupied since last night. Ol' Straightstick and some of the Faithless are holed up in here," she glances around the room. Then leans in close and gives Tommy an affectionate hug.
"The Faithless tried to take over Brampton last night, but Diamond Urchin and her crew damned near killed them all. Word is the Rivington Rats were involved too."
Tommy can barely make out the words as she whispers them in his furry ear.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Alright man, going to pause the play here.
I will need to know what your plans are > do you plan to stay on this level or go below to confront Amrik? Or are you going to wait for back up?
See you in a few weeks.
~ Hedge
Winter is coming...

Belkregos
Ranger
Ranger

#91 Post by Belkregos »

OOC:
the plan is for tommy to position himself close to Amirk before the fight starts,
1- he'll use his "mind link:" to warn Laraela that something is up and have a shield t the ready
2- he'll use message to send the information of head count to both the diamond urchins men and Morlok so he can make his way inside also
3- he'll walk down to the lower deck to talk to Amirk with the pretense of getting a loan or a business proposition, will stall until the fight starts

i'll try to get the conversation in play but that the gist of what hes trying to do

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by hedgeknight »

Tommy D'Cat listens to the advice of Laraelra before he begins walking through the tavern deck of the Low Lantern. There are several strange personalities in the crowded room, which holds a good dozen or so folks dressed in dark gray clothing, hoods up. Some are beat up and bloodied, while some look worn but are okay; all look quite tired.
Two Drow elves sit a table near the back wall, they glance up every now, but say nothing as they try to ignore the cloaked figures in the room.
At another table, two men and a dwarf play Baldur's Bones...Tommy recognizes all three. One is Skadric, an ex-Flaming Fist officer who was let go for some infraction of duty. The other man is Hitoshi Jade, the sailor who killed Otis in a fight a couple of days ago. The third is the greasy-looking dwarf who smells like a privy. Tommy overhears Skadric call the dwarf, Grimboot.
As Tommy makes his way to the steps leading to the lower deck, two of the cloaked figures step in front of him. Both men are fairly big and look down on the Tabaxi with grim faces.
"Going somewhere?" one of the men asks?
Attachments
Low Lantern Tavern & Lounge.jpg
Low Lantern Tavern & Lounge.jpg (1.69 MiB) Viewed 615 times
Winter is coming...

Belkregos
Ranger
Ranger

#93 Post by Belkregos »

​Tommy finishes the conversation with ​Laraelra knowing full well things might turn violent soon and hopes they can come out the other side to finish what they started, grabs his bottle and with a grim look he nods to Laraelra wishing for the best

walking towards the stairs to the lower deck he scans the room seeing the usual suspects plus the added people assumes from straightstiks, before reaching the stairs he stops to sit in a darkened lone table where he feints to be writing ( while whispering the writings to himself) in a diary but in truth he sends the details of the place to Morlock and the diamond Urchins associates through the message spell (see below) continuing the rouse he takes a piece of paper as if reading for one last time and folds it to get up and walk confidently to the lower deck
Transmutation Cantrip
CAST At Will
Customize
Casting Time:1 action
Range/Area:120ft.
Components:V, S, M(a short piece of copper wire)
Duration:1 round
Source:PHB, pg. 259

You point your finger toward a creature within range and whisper a message. The target (and only the target) hears the message and can reply in a whisper that only you can hear.

You can cast this spell through solid objects if you are familiar with the target and know it is beyond the barrier. Magical silence, 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood blocks the spell. The spell doesn't have to follow a straight line and can travel freely around corners or through openings.
hedgeknight wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:01 pm As Tommy makes his way to the steps leading to the lower deck, two of the cloaked figures step in front of him. Both men are fairly big and look down on the Tabaxi with grim faces.
"Going somewhere?" one of the men asks?
INDEED!!
i am going somewhere!
he crushes the paper in a fist while intently staring down the guard then takes a breath in an attempt to calm himself and continues in an even but firm tone Amirk told me to come see him and as you can tell time is of the essence so if you don't want to be the one to explain the lord Vanthampur why his wishes were delayed i suggest you step aside

Persuasion:[1d20+6]=9+6=15 ;

Intimidation [1d20+4]=11+4=15

as soon as the guard hesitates he continues on his way inside

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by hedgeknight »

Amirk told me to come see him and as you can tell time is of the essence so if you don't want to be the one to explain the lord Vanthampur why his wishes were delayed i suggest you step aside.

The men look at each other and during the pause, Tommy steps between them and descends to the lower level of the Lantern. Things haven't changed much since the last time Tommy was here a couple of days ago...except there are more men sitting around the tables. Most are bloodied and bandaged.
The bartender gives Tommy a hard look as he stops to look at the back of the ship. On the first couch lies a man who has definitely passed on from this world. Across from him are two more who look close to following the same path. Nearby is a set of stairs going down...presumably to the hold. Beyond the stairs and the mast, is a couch where sits Amrik Vanthampur, sipping a glass of red wine and talking to a man across from him. This man is flanked by three others; all four have been wounded.
The guards say something and all eyes turn toward the Tabaxi. And he feels like he's being watched from someone...or some thing he cannot see. Call it a feline feeling.

Amrik Vanthampur.jpg
Amrik Vanthampur.jpg (7.66 KiB) Viewed 603 times

"Well now, you're back sooner than I expected,"
Amrik says with a smirk. "No business today, however. As you can see, I have company. So get the fuck out."

The man across from him chuckles, along with the guards. This man is much older, lean of frame, and holds a broken oar in one gnarled hand. This has to be ol' Straightstick, the man the crew from Brampton told him about.

Straightstick.jpg
Straightstick.jpg (28.55 KiB) Viewed 603 times

"Oh, I don't know, my friend. Perhaps this young feline can be of assistance," says the man. "Why are you really here, young cat? Someone send you? Are you an assassin from the Urchin, paid to finish what she could not?"
Winter is coming...

Belkregos
Ranger
Ranger

#95 Post by Belkregos »

hedgeknight wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:52 pm The guards say something and all eyes turn toward the Tabaxi. And he feels like he's being watched from someone...or some thing he cannot see. Call it a feline feeling.
feeling the predator's eyes upon him, he searches for the spined devil as he remembers it guarding Amirk and expects it to show up sooner or later

hedgeknight wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:52 pm
The man across from him chuckles, along with the guards. This man is much older, lean of frame, and holds a broken oar in one gnarled hand. This has to be ol' Straightstick, the man the crew from Brampton told him about.

"Oh, I don't know, my friend. Perhaps this young feline can be of assistance," says the man. "Why are you really here, young cat? Someone send you? Are you an assassin from the Urchin, paid to finish what she could not?"
Assassin? hardly so, 
he looks around the room and takes his sheathed short sword from his belt and puts it on the bar as he continues approaching at a slower pace
a mere accessory 
he sits down with the capos 

Urchin? i've heard the name but must confess, haven't had the pleasure, please forgive me, im new in the area and haven't had much of an opportunity to make acquaintances or alliances in town,
I came here before looking for a business partner but it's understandable that my friend Amirk needed references and assurances, which i didn't have, being new to the city and all, its natural, as you might expect, initiative and imagination tend to fade when you are established and have capital,

he pauses and looks to Amirk for a reaction but before any escalation begins again in a apologetic tone

sorry i misspoke, didn't mean any disrespect, i meant to say my friend Amirk didnt see much of a profit on taking a risk on a newcomer such as myself,
he continues addressing his conversation to streightstics
but there's something to say about staying hungry dont you think?

looks for a glass and starts to pour his own drink from the bottle he brought

Mr. Straightstick i presume, Im Tommy D'Cat, a humble entrepreneur looking for opportunities

i hope to have better luck this time,
he takes a sip
these last few days i thought to myself: surely a fine and prosperous gentlemen as Mr Vanthanpur would have an eye for talent (he raises his glass to Amirk)
and decided to give him another opportunity

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#96 Post by hedgeknight »

Straightstick and Amrik listen to Tommy as he explains what he doesn't know and why he is back at the Low Lantern looking for a business proposition. The Kingpin of Tumbledown sips from a mug and winces occasionally, but never takes his piercing gaze off of the Tabaxi.
Amrik half-listens as he spins a coin on the table, rolling over his fingers, looking bored. But once Tommy finishes talking, the pompous patron sits forward, leaning his elbows on his knees.
"I think you're full of shit...but I'll listen to your proposal. I have plenty of coin, so there's no need to worry about that. And...from what I hear tell, you also have plenty of coin, having just raided the sewer levels 'neath the bathhouse. Funny thing that...my brother Mortlock is supposed to keep that place under his thumb. Did you happen to see my dear ol' brother?"

On the map, Amrik is the star, Straightstick is the lollypop, and Tommy is the cat, of course. ;)
Attachments
Low Lantern Battle Map 1.jpg
Low Lantern Battle Map 1.jpg (1.75 MiB) Viewed 592 times
Winter is coming...

Belkregos
Ranger
Ranger

#97 Post by Belkregos »

hedgeknight wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:40 pm "I think you're full of shit...but I'll listen to your proposal. I have plenty of coin, so there's no need to worry about that. And...from what I hear tell, you also have plenty of coin, having just raided the sewer levels 'neath the bathhouse. Funny thing that...my brother Mortlock is supposed to keep that place under his thumb. Did you happen to see my dear ol' brother?"

is that so? he's your brother, i didn't catch the family resemblance there (he makes a frame with his hands while looking at Amirk) he's a good lad, your brother and i must say, you are well informed my good sir, but there's not much to say about that, i tend to land on my feet that's all,  he takes a sip of his drink
where i shine is when there is a problem to solve, i fix things, move obstacles and such, i like to help people you know, he pauses then puts his glass on the table and leans in in a "ready to go to work" attitude but enough about me, i dont want to bore you with my stories, tell me about your self, what troubles you? where can i help? just let me know i'll figure out a way, what keeps you up at night? i'm sure we can figure out a way to make it all better just leave it in good'ol tommy's hands  you'll see...

OOC: he's trying to get information while stalling; he's looking for any weaknesses, if there's any money or valuables stored around, escape routes anything, extra weapons, and specially the spined devil
Persuasion:[1d20+6]=15+6=21 ; Insight: [1d20+4]=1+4=5 ; Perception: [1d20+4]=16+4=20
Investigation: [1d20+3]=20+3=23

hedgeknight wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:40 pm On the map, Amrik is the star, Straightstick is the lollypop, and Tommy is the cat, of course. ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#98 Post by hedgeknight »

Belkregos wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:34 am OOC: he's trying to get information while stalling; he's looking for any weaknesses, if there's any money or valuables stored around, escape routes anything, extra weapons, and specially the spined devil
Persuasion:[1d20+6]=15+6=21 ; Insight: [1d20+4]=1+4=5 ; Perception: [1d20+4]=16+4=20
Investigation: [1d20+3]=20+3=23
While Tommy rattles on, he notices that almost all of the men have blood on them, either their own or someone else's. A few are in bad shape and not too far from the grave. Most carry shortswords, knives, and clubs > "close work" weapons. One big fella standing nearest to Straightstick has twin katars (heavy-bladed punching daggers) in sheathes on the outside of both his thighs for easy access. He's scraping blood out from under his fingernails with a toothpick.
Straightstick is covered in a sheen of sweat and every time he coughs he puts a blood-stained rag to his mouth; he's not doing too well. Amrik looks to be the only one intact. He carries three daggers and occasionally glances across from where he is sitting to a five-foot tall bookshelf. When Tommy follows his gaze, he sees nothing but books.

After Tommy gives his reasons for a business venture, Amrik chuckles and leans forward. He pours himself some more wine and says, "I like the way you talk, Mister Cat. I think maybe we can work...something..."
The rich patron stops talking as fog horn sounds just outside close to the docks. Too close for a ship.
At the sound of the fog horn Straightstick goes even paler (if that is possible) and lurches to his feet. "She's coming!" he rasps. "She's coming to finish me off!"
His men begin moving, grabbing weapons and Amrik stands up and says something in a devilish tone:
Kudd vorhaly sma tapyw lyir py!
Tommy:
Do you speak/understand infernal?

The patron draws a dagger and points it at Tommy. "You're right on time for your first assignment, Cat. Diamond Urchin is coming with all her goons and they aim to kill my friend over there. I need you to bring me her braid and kill anyone that gets in your way. Do that, and I've bigger plans in mind for you!"

Tommy: the map is pretty much the same. You don't see the spined devil, but you know you are being watched, so it is close by. Roll initiative and actions!
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The deep notes of the fog horn still echo off the buildings and the harbor when Diamond Urchin and her men take the plank toward the upper deck of the Low Lantern. Yarl and his Rats are right behind her and as soon as they reach the upper deck, shapes appear out of the fog: the Faithless dressed in gray cloaks wielding bloodied clubs and swords. Some of the Urchin's men and a handful of the Rats take them on while Diamond pushes through a door and down a flight of steps, taking them two at a time! Yarl is close behind her and they burst into a tavern room that is fairly crowded with people. At least five Faithless members are sitting at two round tables near a set of stairs leading down. Two more are drinking at the bar. At the closest table, three men are playing Baldur's Bones, while at a table in the far back, two Drow elves are drinking wine and speaking quietly.
A woman is also standing at the edge of the bar, dressed in leathers with a rapier at her hip. She looks madder than a wet hen. (Although Yarl would say she is quite attractive, even if 'fire' is spitting from her eyes.) "What in the hell are you doing her Diamond? This is MY place and I won't just stand by and -- OOF!"
Diamond shoves the woman hard enough to knock her back behind the bar and into the bartender upturning a pitcher of beer! "Oh, lover boy! I got sumpin' for ya!" she yells and takes off at a dash toward the steps, her men fanning out behind her as the Faithless draw steel and attack!

Yarl: There are seven Faithless in the room and you figure there are more below. No sign of Straightstick. Five of your Rats are with you, including Trueshot and Fingers. See the map above for a reasonable layout. I'll try to update it with the next post. Roll initiative and state your actions!
Winter is coming...

Belkregos
Ranger
Ranger

#99 Post by Belkregos »

hedgeknight wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:03 pm His men begin moving, grabbing weapons and Amrik stands up and says something in a devilish tone:
Kudd vorhaly sma tapyw lyir py!
Tommy:
Do you speak/understand infernal?
OOC: Yes :)

Belkregos
Ranger
Ranger

#100 Post by Belkregos »

hedgeknight wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:03 pm The patron draws a dagger and points it at Tommy. "You're right on time for your first assignment, Cat. Diamond Urchin is coming with all her goons and they aim to kill my friend over there. I need you to bring me her braid and kill anyone that gets in your way. Do that, and I've bigger plans in mind for you!"
opportunity knocks Tommy says with a smile and a wink to Amirk
just like the braid you require my good sir, our paths are intertwined, your efforts will be rewarded, i'll make sure of it
he nods in assertion and moves to retrieve his short sword from the bar and moves to a defensive position in the stairwell to the lower deck, takes cover apparently from the coming assault but actually to have an advantageous position over Amirk and a clear line of sight (will follow him if he tries to go somewhere, he moved to the stairwell as he thinks he might try ro escape down to the lower level) , still weary of the hidden devil and the bookshelf,

Initiative: [1d20+3]=8+3=11
OOC: just a reminder on tommy's current stats
-spell slots available: 4 1st level
-current AC: 15; spending a slot to cast shield gives him +5 to AC, let me know how you want to handle this
current HP: 28
initiative modifier: +3
full sheet: https://ddb.ac/characters/26489026/fl0Lz9

Return to “Adventures in Baldur's Gate (5e)”