The Low Lantern

hedgeknight
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

The Low Lantern

#1 Post by hedgeknight »

Vier'zt is comfortable in the shadows of the streets of Baldur's Gate. Since he "rose to the surface" he has not yet adjusted to the brightness of the sun...maybe never, but he knows he isn't going back to the Underdark any time soon...if ever; a story for another time. The fog helps him too, plus, it seems Baldurians are not surprised to see a dark elf on the surface...especially since he is on his way to meet two of his fellow Drow at the Low Lantern.
He met up with Aerith and Beldan just by chance, as he had just arrived in the city on the barge from upriver. Like today, the fog was so thick, it was easy to blend in and hide his skin color and silvery hair. He ducked into the first place he could, looking for something to eat...seeing as it had been three days since his last meal. At a table in a corner, he observed the twins huddled over their mugs...and took a chance...his life has been full of chances...and walked to their table.
At first, the twins almost drew steel, thinking he was an assassin to seek them out for leaving Lolth's embrace in the Underdark. Once he convinced them he was a refugee too, they took him under their wing, and he has been "running errands" for them since. Today, Vier'zt feels an extra bit of energy in the air as if something big is about to happen; that this may not be an ordinary meeting.
On the way toward the Lantern, he passes a Tabaxi and a Half-Orc standing off the side of the road; odd to see one of the cat-folk in tandem with an Uthgardt barbarian, and a Half-Orc at that! But...it's Baldur's Gate and just about anything goes in this city. He passes on by on his way to the tavern entrance...

Low_lantern.jpg
Low_lantern.jpg (219.71 KiB) Viewed 1432 times

Alright smithy211 > you're up!
Winter is coming...

smithy211
Runner
Runner

Re: The Low Lantern

#2 Post by smithy211 »

As he passed the half orc and cat person, he gave them a polite nod and made a mental note to add the pairing to the list of strange things he'd seen on his journey and since he'd been on the surface. Thankful for the fog, he was able to pull his hood a littler farther back than normal, this sun, the surface dwellers spoke of, was uncomfortable, but welcome. It reminded Vier'zt of what he'd left, and what he was thankful for, even if it burned his eyes at times.

Once he reached the Low Lantern, Vier'zt entered quietly, as always. looking first to verify that Aerith and Beldan were in their normal spot, he nodded as he approached and sat when offered a chair.
What's new today then, something happening today it seems, city seems more energetic than normal.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by hedgeknight »

Vier'zt is still amazed at how the fog, something new to him, obscures the Low Lantern until you get within a hundred feet of it. He climbs the wooden staircase from the wharf's edge to the main deck, walks straight past a padlocked wooden hatch fitted with windows, to a set of stairs leading down to what's called the Tavern Deck.
Entering the taproom and gambling hall is unlike anything Vier'zt has experienced on the surface world in his short time above ground. It is sparsely populated so early in the day, but the smell of sweat and cheap ale is ever-present. The owner, Laraelra, glances at him as he enters but when she recognizes him, she returns her attention to the small glass of wine sitting at her elbow.
He walks around the center mast and past a table where a three men play Baldur's Bones. He recognizes one of them, Skadric, a soldier of the Flaming Fist who is allegedly suspended for something he did (or didn't do) while on duty.
He spies his companions in their usual place at the farthest table in the bow. He takes a seat and sits down. Per usual, Beldan speaks first.

"Were you followed, cousin? The streets are getting more crowded by the day."

"And you're getting more paranoid by the day, brother!" Aerith chimes in, giving Vier'zt a smile. She takes out an ornate flask, unscrews the lid and takes a sip, before offering it to Vier'zt.

Though they are twins, Beldan's eyes are a rich purple color, piercing almost cold, while Aerith's are softer, warm and gray. It's not the first time Vier'zt has noticed the difference.
Beldan leans forward. "I ask, dear sister, because I believe we are being followed. The past few times we have been here, so has a duergar. Why would one such as he be here except for us?"
Aerith arches an eyebrow. "You're right, Beldan. He's likely an assassin! Come to slit our throats for abandoning our homeland! Look out, there he is!"
Beldan flinches, jerking around, a curved dagger somehow in his grip. When he sees no skulking assassin, and hears the chuckling from his sister, he rounds on her with fire in his eyes. "It...is...no laughing matter, dear sister. We have been here just long enough to get comfortable, to let down our guard. And when we least expect it..."
He sighs and looks down at the table, replacing the dagger in its sheath, tucked away somewhere inside his cloak. His purple eyes roll up and fix on Vier'zt. "This city...it is full of evil beings. I fear we have rushed headlong into danger. Who knows where..."

Beldan stops talking because he is looking at the two figures who just walked into the taproom.
"Well now, there's something you don't see every day." Aerith purrs.

Tommy & Ostis...
Fog obscures the Low Lantern until you get within a hundred feet of it, whereupon its tall masts and creaking bulk come into view. The converted ship has rigging but no sails, and is anchored to the wharf by thick chains. A wooden staircase climbs from the wharf's edge to the main deck. A lantern at the bow casts an eerie green light to signify that the tavern is open for business.
The main deck of the old ship features wooden steps that climb to the forecastle and aftcastle, with another set of stairs descending into the ship. A padlocked wooden hatch fitted with windows acts as a skylight for the deck below - the tavern proper, visible through the hatch's glass panes. Four dead seagulls lie on the deck and two ravens squawk at you from the crow's nest, a forty-foot climb up the ship's rigging.
(Let me know if you want to look around or investigate anything up here...)

Down the stairs, Tommy and Ostis enter the taproom which reeks of sweat, cheap ale, rotting timbers and old vomit. Tommy's eyes water from the odors, but Ostis doesn't seem to mind. Three bouncers stand around watching the few patrons that are here. Sitting at the short end of the bar, is a woman with a live crab clinging to her shoulder.

"Well met! My name is Laraelra Thundreth, but folks around here call me the Captain. If you're thirsting for a beverage or looking to gamble, you've come to the right place, but watch your step. Things can get pretty messy around here."

The tavern is lit by hanging oil lanterns and whatever natural light slips through the glass hatch and the ship's grimy portholes. "What's your poison gents?" asks a man behind the bar.
Winter is coming...

Belkregos
Ranger
Ranger

#4 Post by Belkregos »

hedgeknight wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:02 pm "Well met! My name is Laraelra Thundreth, but folks around here call me the Captain. If you're thirsting for a beverage or looking to gamble, you've come to the right place, but watch your step. Things can get pretty messy around here."

The tavern is lit by hanging oil lanterns and whatever natural light slips through the glass hatch and the ship's grimy portholes. "What's your poison gents?" asks a man behind the bar.
Tommy scans the room looking for anyone resembling the mentioned scarred man (anything else in particular that was mentioned in the description?) and answers the bartenders question
i'll start with some schnapps my good sir 
then turns back to Laraelra 
well captain, my captain he nods in a respectful greeting
you can call me Tommy or whatever you like he winks with a flirty smile
thank you for the fair warning, we'll try to tread lightly, anything or anyone in particular we should be gingerly with?, my friends customs and manners can be misinterpreted sometimes and we would prefer to avoid false impressions if possible
Last edited by Belkregos on Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stitches:- 1st lvl Halfling-Rogue: basics HP:9, AC:14, init.:+3, Sw/Bow: +5 to hit/1d6+3 dam +Sneak attack!

smithy211
Runner
Runner

#5 Post by smithy211 »

Vier'zt gives Lareira a polite nod and smile as he entersHow's the wine captain?", seeing his friends he takes his seat at their table. He grins at Aerith's jest before replying No, friends, I was not followed. If I was, they are very good at going unnoticed. And that doesn't sound like any duergar to me. Beldan, what has you so on edge?"

He pauses as Tommy and his companion enter, taking note he slinks into his chair even more becoming slightly more difficult to distinguish. He turns his attention back to the twins, Tell me then, what evil concerns you so... You've been here longer than I, perhaps it's something that has evaded my notice?"

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by hedgeknight »

Drinks & Drow, Part 1

Laraelra chuckles at Tommy's order and then again at his flirtatiousness before giving the puzzled bartender a nod and a wink. The bartender shrugs and begins rattling bottles around looking for something.
Ostis orders a beer and the bartender stops and says, "That I can do!" and pours the barbarian a full mug almost quicker than a cat can wink it's eye.
When Tommy asks about the patrons, looking around the room, he spies the Drow who passed them on the street; the cowled figure is sitting at a table in the far bow...with two other Drow elves!
"Don't worry about them," Laraelra says, handing Tommy his drink, which doesn't smell or taste anything like schnapps. "They seem to be no worse..or better than anyone else who comes here. But...if you want to avoid someone, here comes your man."
Tommy hears the footfalls of someone in a hurry coming down the steps, and as he turns toward the hall from whence they entered, he is nearly bowled over by a tall man with dark hair.
Amrik Vanthampur.jpg
Amrik Vanthampur.jpg (7.66 KiB) Viewed 1409 times
The man has a slight smirk on his face as he stomps past the bar, ignoring Laraelra completely, slapping the inebriated Flaming Fist guard on the shoulder, and then descending the steps in the middle of the room to the next level below. (see map below for Tavern deck; might get a better one later)
Once the man disappears below deck, the Flaming Fist guard, "Hate that sonuvabitch. One of these days..."
"Yeah, yeah, one of these days. I wish ye'd go ahead and roll the bones one of these days! How about right now!" chirps one of the other two players, a drunken sailor from the look of him; the third man just sits quietly, looking as if he wishes he could disappear.

Aerith giggles at Vier'zt's remark about the duergar, but Beldan only scowls deeper. They watch the human stomp his way to the stairs leading to the deck below; this is the first time Vier'zt has ever seen the human and Beldan takes the opportunity to embellish on his earlier words. "That is exactly what I'm talking about!" he hisses, jabbing a finger at the stairs where the human disappeared. "That man is Amrik Vanthampur, the son of Duke Vanthampur. And unless I am wrong, he is involved in some shady business below. Bodies are piling up all over the city, and this man always looks like the cat who ate the canary every time he waltzes in here. He's bad, I'm telling you. Real bad."
Attachments
Low Lantern Tavern Deck.jpg
Low Lantern Tavern Deck.jpg (284.28 KiB) Viewed 1409 times
Winter is coming...

smithy211
Runner
Runner

#7 Post by smithy211 »

Seeing that Beldan is serious, for a moment at least, Vier'zt is too. "What would you have me do then, friend? Follow him? I can certainly do that, if that's what we need to do. Being the son of Duke will certainly give you some wiggle room with most folks, even the watch I would imagine. What can we do to ease your mind, at least somewhat my friend?"

Belkregos
Ranger
Ranger

#8 Post by Belkregos »

Tommy nods as he sips his drink hiding his gaze as he sizes the patrons, taking note of any weapons or magic components,
hedgeknight wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:58 pm Drinks & Drow, Part 1
"They seem to be no worse..or better than anyone else who comes here. But...if you want to avoid someone, here comes your man."
Tommy hears the footfalls of someone in a hurry coming down the steps, and as he turns toward the hall from whence they entered, he is nearly bowled over by a tall man with dark hair.

The man has a slight smirk on his face as he stomps past the bar, ignoring Laraelra completely, slapping the inebriated Flaming Fist guard on the shoulder, and then descending the steps in the middle of the room to the next level below.
Surely a man of action says tommy as the man walks by i wouldn't dare waste the attention and opportunity to admire my good captain Tommy stands gently sliding his hand to Laraelras hips and holding her gaze for just a second before continuing could I be so bold as to assume my captain would gift some of her precious time to provide this lowly servant a walking tour of the rest of her ship?
He stands with drink in hand and the other still holding Laraelra hips as he gestures for her to lead the way
Stitches:- 1st lvl Halfling-Rogue: basics HP:9, AC:14, init.:+3, Sw/Bow: +5 to hit/1d6+3 dam +Sneak attack!

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by hedgeknight »

smithy211 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:01 pm Seeing that Beldan is serious, for a moment at least, Vier'zt is too. "What would you have me do then, friend? Follow him? I can certainly do that, if that's what we need to do. Being the son of Duke will certainly give you some wiggle room with most folks, even the watch I would imagine. What can we do to ease your mind, at least somewhat my friend?"
Aerith frowns and leans forward. "I wouldn't go it alone. He is likely guarded below in his private quarters. Might want to take another, or two, with you." She looks toward the bar. "What about those two? From the looks of the Tabaxi, it appears they are new arrivals to the city...and if he doesn't lose a hand for touching Laraelra, then his boldness may serve you when investigating Amrik."
Winter is coming...

smithy211
Runner
Runner

#10 Post by smithy211 »

Vier'zt nodded, barely, I wouldn't presume to try to get into his private quarters at this very moment. That is brazen, even for me. But perhaps those two new comers could provide a useful distraction. If you both feel that is a good play, I'll make it happen. Otherwise I can follow him when he leaves. ANd I do hope the fellow doesn't lose his hand. It's too early for that type of mess. he adds with a grin

alchemy
Tracker
Tracker

#11 Post by alchemy »

Ostis sits and slurps on a beer, waiting for something interesting to happen...like maybe a brawl. There is a lot of pent up aggression in the young half orc, and if he doesn't find an outlet soon he'll take it out on the first arsehole he comes across.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by hedgeknight »

Belkregos wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:12 am Tommy nods as he sips his drink hiding his gaze as he sizes the patrons, taking note of any weapons or magic components...
Surely a man of action says tommy as the man walks by i wouldn't dare waste the attention and opportunity to admire my good captain Tommy stands gently sliding his hand to Laraelras hips and holding her gaze for just a second before continuing could I be so bold as to assume my captain would gift some of her precious time to provide this lowly servant a walking tour of the rest of her ship?
He stands with drink in hand and the other still holding Laraelra hips as he gestures for her to lead the way.
Laraelra looks down at Tommy's hand on her hips and then glances back up, meeting the Tabaxi's eyes. A smile tugs at the corner of her mouth as she not so gently smacks Tommy's hand away, replacing it with her own hand.
"Now listen, Sir Purr, we don't need any freshness up here around the bar. If you want a private tour, that can be arranged...for a price."
She leans forward and whispers into Tommy's ear while her eyes scan the tavern deck...stopping on the three dark elves in the bow.
Tommy:
10 gold and I'll take you to my room and let your hands roam wherever they wish.

At the table in the bow...
Beldan just shakes his head in disgust, but Aerith licks her lips. "Now, we're getting somewhere! This should be interesting. Regardless what happens, I'm guessing the barbarian isn't invited...and he looks like someone you want on your side. Might be worth buying him a beer."
Winter is coming...

Belkregos
Ranger
Ranger

#13 Post by Belkregos »

hedgeknight wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:32 pm Laraelra looks down at Tommy's hand on her hips and then glances back up, meeting the Tabaxi's eyes. A smile tugs at the corner of her mouth as she not so gently smacks Tommy's hand away, replacing it with her own hand.
"Now listen, Sir Purr, we don't need any freshness up here around the bar. If you want a private tour, that can be arranged...for a price."
i would gladly trade my 6th and 7th life for a stroll my captain, oh
liking his paw continues and dont think a bit of spanking would disuade me winks and starts to walk with her
when in private and when the ocasion presents, tommy will inquire about Aurayaun, the "scarred man" the shield and the urchins Belle and Charlie

just i case some rolls are needed
Investigation: [1d20+3]=20+3=23

Performance:[1d20+4]=18+4=22 ; Sleight of Hand: [1d20+5]=3+5=8

Persuasion:[1d20+6]=6+6=12 ; Insight: [1d20+4]=7+4=11 ; Perception: [1d20+4]=18+4=22
as he passes Ostis his eyes imploring and he hears in his mind
awakened mind please, please Ostis, just give me a bit if time here i'll find out what i can
Last edited by Belkregos on Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

alchemy
Tracker
Tracker

#14 Post by alchemy »

Ostis shows Tommy is eyeteeth and offers a low growl, but looks away as he sips at his mug. For a feisty orc barbarian, he seems to be fairly placid, at least for the nonce.

smithy211
Runner
Runner

#15 Post by smithy211 »

Vier'zt nodded, "Perhaps so, shall we see. If nothing else, a welcome distraction while I work."

Vier'zt approaches the bar, giving Ostis and Tommy a nod and smile, "Buy you gentlemen a drink? Join me, have a seat and chat for a few moments."

alchemy
Tracker
Tracker

#16 Post by alchemy »

Drink, good. I'll take one, but I think my friend over there is trying to get laid.

smithy211
Runner
Runner

#17 Post by smithy211 »

Vier'zt smiles and nods, "He is brave, I'll give him that." he turned to the bartender, Three ale please, two here and one for his friend there, he may need it more than we do." Vier'zt motioned to an empty table.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by hedgeknight »

With a smirk, Laraelra gives the bartender a nod, and then turns and walks back toward the stairs. Assuming Tommy will follow her, she takes a key from a pocket and unlocks a door opposite the stairwell. Inside is her private chamber. She ushers Tommy inside, closes the door, and bolts the latch. After a few minutes of pawing and clawing and hanky spanky, she pushes Tommy away from her and walks to a small table and pours she and the Tabaxi a drink. "All the way from Mirabar. The Dwarves call it 'Mountain Dew.'"

when in private...tommy will inquire about Aurayaun, the "scarred man" the shield and the urchins Belle and Charlie

"Ah, so you're the latest saps to try and help poor wittle Lupeen find her lost lover, eh? That wench must have some type of witchery powers. She should be able to figure it out by herself > Aurayaun got tired of her and went off looking for fresh flowers to sniff. At least, that's what I think. I don't know anything about some scarred man or a couple of street rats. Plenty of those to go 'round in this city."
Laraelra pours herself another drink and leaves the bottle open for Tommy to help himself. She looks out one of the porthole windows, her back to the Tabaxi. She remains topless, her shame long forgotten. Her hair is pulled to one side, exposing long-healed scars criss-crossed on the middle of her back and shoulders. "The truth is I really don't give a shit about anyone else in this hellhole. I gave up caring the day I put a dagger through the eye of the man who used to think he owned me. Now, I'm my own boss and I do what I want to do without asking for permission."

She drains the glass and turns around to face Tommy again, tucking her thumbs inside her belt. She gives him a long look and allows him the same; her smile doesn't touch her eyes. "How ya feeling, kitty cat? You look a little wobbly."

Tommy needs to roll a CON check. ;)
Winter is coming...

Belkregos
Ranger
Ranger

#19 Post by Belkregos »

awesome!
Gary can you roll for Tommy and continue the story along, I’m out of town and following up
On my phone (can’t stay away :) ) tommy will try to go for a second round with laraelra and say something about how repeat customers are better for business ;) unless he got poisoned or something worse :)

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by hedgeknight »

"I said, you look a little wobbly."
Tommy nods and sets the glass down, grabbing for the table and missing. He staggers but Laraelra catches him and helps him to the bed.
"There we are. Take a little 'cat' nap and I'll come back and check on you later."
Tommy reaches for his magic, for a weapon, but the weight on the back of his eyelids is too strong and the last thing he sees before slipping into unconsciousness is her smile.
He failed by 1. ;)

Back at the bar...
"Three ale please, two here and one for his friend there, he may need it more than we do."
The bartender pours the three ales and gives Vier'zt and Ostis an odd look. "Ever heard the saying about walking into the den of a dragon?" The bartender chuckles, glances toward the door Tommy and Laraelra went into, and then returns to cleaning the mugs.
The Drow and the Half-Orc clink mugs and just as they take the first gulp, a ruckus breaks out at a table nearby...the one where the three men are playing Baldur's Bones.
"Yer a dirty cheat!" says the drunken sailor, his fist wrapped around an empty mug. "And I ain't gonna stand fer it!" Which seems comical since he can barely stand in the first place.
"You calling ME a cheat?" says Skadric, the Flaming Fist on suspension, standing up, swaying slightly; he's about six foot tall. "You're just pissed cause I'm winning for once, you drunken reprobate!"
The third man has scooted his chair back far enough to where his back is near the side of the ship. Sweat is rolling down his face.
And the three bouncers in the taproom? They are not even paying attention.

With a huff, the sailor hurls his mostly empty mug at Skadric's head...missing by a mile. But the mug finds a target > it slams Ostis in the side of the head!
The mug shatters against the hard head of the Half-Orc and chips one of his teeth!
"Damn it to hell, Hitoshi! That was one of my good mugs!" the bartender roars. "Yer gonna pay double for that!"

Actions?
Winter is coming...

Return to “Adventures in Baldur's Gate (5e)”