Sven and Orgoth: 10'ft pole squires:

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Sven and Orgoth: 10'ft pole squires:

#61 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Very cool!

Sven tries to calm the situation down once he sees the things arms are chained. "Easy friends! This is no monster, but a kindred humanoid who's abode we have likely stumbled upon and abused inadvertently."

"We are not here to hurt you! We only stopped here to rest out the night! We can help you out of those chains if you remain calm and if your friends stop shooting their sleeping darts at us. Do we have an accord, sir?"

The mage tries hard not to insult the creature further by labeling it or making any sudden moves, knowing that if there are others behind them, they wont stay asleep for much longer.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by Rex »

Orgoth

Hearing Sven, Orgoth remains alert but tries to have a less aggressive stance.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by Spearmint »

A dark night on the Barrowmoor.

Hours before dawn:
Weather: very misty, visibility reduced to 30ft, cool breeze.
Light sources: embers of campfire, Starlight.

The humanoid creature watches you warily, particularly the strapping warrior half-orc.

"Chainz. Pleaz" it speaks in a gobbledegook common, almost growling in a husky voice. It doesn't approach closer using the standing stone as a limited physical boundary between you. He gestures with a nod of its head towards the sleeping figures of Eddy and Franc and chatters incoherently a bit more.

Leomane calls out, "There are two young'uns in the thicket." he comes back with a bamboo type hollow reed. A blowpipe for the darts. He gestures with his palms together by his ear, cocking his head to indicate sleeping.

"What shall we do with him?" The squires debate options from killing the creature where he stands, taking him prisoner or setting him free. Though Sven and Orgoth started the trip as retainers to them, the call is yours.

Gilles at least has a thieves tools set.

actions Sven and Orgoth please. If you decide to 'open locks' roll me % dice vs 29%, or bend bars. Any other actions.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#64 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I'll try the pick first and let Orgoth decide if he wants to try the brute force method. :D

Sven nods in appreciation.

"Nicely done, Leomane! Perhaps the two of you can carefully drag them both back here into the light where we can keep our eyes on them till they awaken? Carefully now," the young mage urges.

"Master Gilles, how about you attempt to put those new picks of yours to good use, eh? Careful now, we must remain aware of the possibility of treachery out here." Random Percentile Roll [1d100]=40 :oops:

"We wont be killing anyone! These folks have as much......nay.....more of a right to be out here than we do. Keep in mind that we are in their territory now! For all we know, these are the guides we have been looking for all along!"

He looks directly into the eyes of the lone mongrel. "Friends? Trade? Share food? Eat with us? No fight, okay?" He points to Eddy on the ground. "How long will they be out?"
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by Rex »

Orgoth

"Hold you hands out and get on your knees and I will try and break them."

If he does as instructed.
BBLG (20%) [1d100]=90
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#66 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Well, if this is all some sort of ruse, I guess the dice were in our favor? :lol:
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by Spearmint »

Hours before dawn:
Weather: very misty, visibility reduced to 40ft, cool breeze.

The group lay the sleepy heads in comfort on the bracken mattresses. The two 'young'uns' wake within a few minutes, the spell wearing off. At first they panic, seeing 'pa'? held prisoner. He speaks to them in some 'Barrowmoor patois', a vocabulary made up of a mishmash of syllables of
foreign tongues interspersed with animalistic grunts and chirps. He might do well in one of those holy-roller, happy clappy churches with congregants breaking out in angelic tongues but there is no interpreter to his mongrel glossolalia.

The children, pre-teen but hard to say, display the same malformed hybrid bodies of various human-plus types. A webbed hand or foot, mottled green skin of goblin, an Orcish tooth, dog's ear. A veritable rainbow of inclusivity.

They pick at the remnants of the roasted skewers of raptor, obviously hungry. They are not chained by cuffs.

The taller figure still is, the locksmith tools too rusty or not the right skeleton key type to unfree his shackles. Brute strength also does not break the chain apart. However some wedging spikes hammered between links may suffice to weaken them. You try and converse, you think he mentions 'sun up' in regards to the poisoned duo.

"The mule in the bog had a crate of spades type handle sticking out. Maybe if one is a sledgehammer that would do the trick?"

next actions for Sven and Orgoth.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#68 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sven listens intently to their strange form of communication, amazed by it, and wondering if his magic would come in handy to help understand these beings a bit better.

"Great idea about the tools! If we can get them to understand us a little more, they might be able to lead us around this nasty bog of theirs. It sure would beat getting lost and ending up like that mule we saw back there."

Sven invites the full grown creature to join the younger ones as they finish off the roasted meat, allowing them to warm themselves by their dying fire.

"I suggest we wait out the night here together, and when it starts to get light out again, and these two chaps awaken, we go back have another look at those abandoned supplies."

Making a motion with his palms held out to the trio, "Stay. Here. For now. We can try to break those chains at sun-up." He tries to use the same vernacular the big one used when he explained when the poison would wear off.

Sven breaks out one package of his rations and distributes them amongst the creatures, eating some of it with them and watching their reactions. He then gives the pair of youngsters one of the raptor claw necklaces he made the night before as a gift.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by Rex »

Orgoth

Orgoth stays up and makes sure nothing happens with their guests.

"The tools are a good idea, I will try them once everyone is awake."
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by Spearmint »

Sven listens intently to their strange form of communication, amazed by it, and wondering if his magic would come in handy to help understand these beings a bit better.
one can but try
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#71 Post by OGRE MAGE »

If he can get the creatures to start talking amongst themselves again, Sven discretely touches one of them and casts his comprehension magic to see if they can be understood. He doesnt let them know that fact right away, just in case they are not what they seem.

Casts: Comprehend Languages

1st Level Spell Retention (INT 15) [4d6+1]=11+1=12
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by Spearmint »

Hours before dawn:
Weather: very misty, visibility reduced to 40ft, cool breeze.

Sven casts his comprehension. It enables him to understand the deep speech but not reply in the vocabulary used. But with a breadth of linguistics learned at studies you can at least communicate back in ways the man understands. A bit of common here, a bit of dwarven, some glutural Orcish 'oinks', goblin 'yes' and 'no'.

The man, whose name sounds like a howling wolf, introduces the young'uns as 'the sound of a screech owl' and 'a ribbetting noisy toad'. They are very hungry, look half starved and talk more as they are fed from rations.

Eddy and Franc recover. The squire leader not happy but as the situation is not threatening and as he learns more, he becomes a bit more empathetic.

Wolf, "Chained. I refused to bend the knee. Better to die free than live in servitude." He appears to have fled from some subterranean chambers with Owl and Toad a few days ago, hiding in the mist, fearful of strangers and dangers. They thought of putting you to sleep and stealing your food as they have no money.

He reminds you of his shackles. Perhaps breaking them will loosen his tongue a bit more.

actions, spells, skills and questions.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#73 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sven

"I have another idea, but it will require me to study my spellbook a little longer before we leave again."

"I probably should have thought of this sooner, but hey, I'm still pretty new at this adventuring thing,"
he jokes.

If that is agreed upon by the others, Sven positions Wolf so his wrists are close together before casting another of his spells onto the shackles, hoping they simply fall off the creature.

Casts: Enlarge

1st Level Spell Retention (INT 15) [4d6+1]=16+1=17
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by Spearmint »

Ok I get what you are trying to do. Make the cuffs slightly bigger so he has some wriggle room to escape. The Enlarge spell at 1st level gives only a 10% growth in length, weight and mass. But would that amount of extra cuff size be enough? A 10% bigger ring might slide easier on and off fingers but a hand is bigger than a wrist. I will give Wolf a difficult dexterity check to dislocate his thumb and wriggle free. Right and left hands:

Howl of a Wolf escape cuffs [4d6]=13 vs 12
Howl of a Wolf escape cuffs [4d6]=15 vs 12

Despite his best efforts, he remains shackled by a now temporary heavier chain cuffed to both wrists.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by Rex »

Orgoth

Orgoth will try and bust the shackles again.

BBLG (20%) [1d100]=8
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#76 Post by OGRE MAGE »

As mentioned earlier, I am willing to retrieve the tools from the crate once it gets light out again.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by Spearmint »

A misty morning on the Barrowmoor.

April 29th 1066.

Barrowmoor south of Helix. Duchy of Aerik.

Dawn:
Weather: misty, visibility reduced to 60ft, cool breeze.
Light sources: torch.

Okay I will advance this a little. The dawn light is not too long await. With the chain enlarged proportionally, Orgoth tests his 'grip and twist' and tries again to snap the links, this time proving his mettle against the metal. Wolf now has two cuffs and lengths of chain attached to each wrist. At least he can stretch his arms.

The opportunity to search the partly submerged mule for any equipment is not dismissed entirely. The 10'ft pole coming in useful to prod the unsafe ground to navigate the safest route. You can use the rope found at the camp and tent tarpaulins to create a matt to crawl across any possible quicksand like boggy ground. Using one of the young'uns to traverse crawling on their belly to lighten the weight risk.

A sledgehammer and door spikes are fetched back along with a lantern and some unused flasks of oil. There are no edible rations or viable water skins. Unless you want to arm yourself with mundane equipment like picks and spades, most of the gear is agricultural but functional especially if you wanted to excavate a tomb. A heavy crossbow can be found too. The split crate contains several bearskins but they are infested with leeches. Not to turn a meal down, Owl shows how to skewer one and roast it in the flames of the torch, turning it as it sizzles like a barbeque sausage. The satisfying gulp tells you it was heartily received. anybody want to eat likewise may.

The bearskins were rolled around two earthern ware amphora jars. They are cracked but not broken and sealed with a waxed cork stopper. They are tan in colour, as heavy as a full wineskin, with beetle or snake decor on the handles and neck.

Sven the comprehend language is finished.

I will halt here for next actions.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by Rex »

Orgoth

"Can I have the lantern and oil?"
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#79 Post by OGRE MAGE »

To save time, while the others crawl through the muck to retrieve supplies, Sven studies his spell book to regain the 2 spells he lost memory of the day before.

Once everything is safely assembled, inventory of the items is taken. "I don't see why you couldn't take the lamp and oil, Orgoth, as long as the squires don't object."

He encourages the newcomers to join in with the project as much as he can, offering them thanks and praise whenever earned. Eying up the harness on the ale keg, Sven wonders if it would fit Wolf instead. He tries to pantomime having the larger creature carrying the keg from here on. Maybe after one more breakfast round for everyone?

"Lets try to break these shackles with the hammer so Wolf can be free of his chains. We should clean off these tarps and ropes so we can bring them along with us. We should take the hammer and spikes as well, and one pick and spade, just in case." He looks to the squires again. "Can any of you handle the heavy crossbow? Oh, and......I was thinking that these escaped slaves could tag along with us for a while as well. 6 more hands to help carry things and fight and all that. Does anyone have any objections to that idea?"

Sven is perplexed by the sealed jars. "It seems someone took special care of these for a reason. Anyone have any ideas what they might contain?" He shakes them both lightly to see if it helps determine the contents. "Do these beetles or snakes mean anything to any of you? Poison maybe?" Depending on the others knowledge, Sven may use his spell to detect if they are at all magical.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by Rex »

Orgoth

"Sounds like a good idea to me." Orgoth will try and get the manacles off with some tools.

Return to “Completed Expeditions”