Helix: The Brazen Strumpet

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Helix: The Brazen Strumpet

#1 Post by Spearmint »

This thread is intended for adventurers to share tales of their exploits and arrange expeditions into the wild.

Players may ONLY post in this thread while the character they are speaking as is actually present in town. (obviously).

Occasionally, NPCs may share information in this thread as well if they happen to be privy to something of interest and think it worth sharing

A stout establishment of dark-stained timber and white plaster, the Brazen Strumpet is one of the most-frequented buildings on the street. It offers both food and lodging, catering to the moderate stream of adventurers and merchants who brave the Moors or cross from Ironguard.

Furniture of sturdy pine, fashioned from the woodland to the north, provides seating and tables and frames the ornate staircase and gallery. The tavern has a large main hall and some side rooms, each with a roaring log fire hearth. A raised stage is in one corner for the use of musicians, poets and bards.

The proprietor, who is introduced to you as [bBollo[/b], is distinguished by his broad smile and even broader shoulders. A large shield is hung above a long wall mirror and the shelves are full of various kegs of craft ales and in tap local mead. The patrons usually arrive before mid-morning open doors and rarely does the place close before midnight. Three young ladies serve in corsets, their costumes highlighting how comely the wenches are, though they skip among the tables and wandering hands with aplomb.

Several plaques and carved momentos fill nooks and crannies, testament to previous Barrowmaze explorations.

players should introduce their characters in this tavern thread as you arrive in Helix.

The following is a typical menu and pricing structure. Just put in your dialog what you order and record -xsp amount and account on your sheet.

Ales & Beers:

1 sp - a pint tankard of locally brewed craft ale.
2sp - cider, brewed from local orchard.
3sp - honey mead, brewed locally from the hives.
5sp - local elderberry or fruit flavoured wines from druid sources.
1 gp - bottle of assorted Imported Wine from the eastern Duchy vineyards.
1gp - bottle of 100% dwarven hooch potato vodka.

Food

1sp - breakfast of oat porridge
1sp - bread and cheese ploughman's luncheon
3sp - soup of the day
5sp - stew of the day
2sp - stew of yesterday'
1gp - mixed grill of assorted meats
50gp - banquet meat feasts, spare ribs and hog roast (all in party celebrations)

Lodging:. This is the per person not per room cost except for Deluxe

Common Upkeep: per person cost
3sp - per night for common bunk room sleeping in quarters above stables and inclusive of breakfast. Outside latrine and cold water showers. Personal locker.

Deluxe upkeep: per person cost
8 sp - per night for basic private room in annexe accommodations (6 rooms available x 4 people in twin bunks). Inclusive of breakfast & evening stew. Common bathrooms and toilets in corridor.

12sp - twin room of two single divan beds. (Six rooms on first floor). Inclusive of breakfast and evening stew and accompanying ale. Common bathroom and toilet in corridor.

Premier upkeep: cost per room.
1gp 10sp - per night for en-suite accommodations (only 4 in the inn). Wooden four poster double bed. Inclusive of breakfast & evening stew and complimentary local wine. Free stabling for horses. Hot tub bubble bath and laundry.

VIP guests (premier plus) upkeep: cost per room.
5gp - Penthouse suite. Leather furnished sofa, scatter cushions and study desk in reception room. Four poster wooden bed with silk mosquito curtains and Juliet balcony. Room service for meals if required, hot tub jacuzzi and en suite washroom. Inclusive of breakfast and evening stew, imported foreign wine. Pull bell chamberlain room service. Laundry and complimentary stabling. Grooming service for horse.

3sp - per night for stabling horses. Inclusive of hay, grooming and tack maintenance.
2sp - courtyard kennels for dogs and other animal companions. Inclusive of doggy bone to chew on.

remember just include in your narration what you require and deduct amount from your coinage.

April 28th. Mid afternoon.

The spring thaw has begun and though ice still lies in deep frozen patches upon the moor, the blossoming of new plants, the birthing of flocks and the promise of longer days cause the normally heavy atmosphere to lighten in Helix and the surrounds.

The town is a hive of activity and action, as merchants pitch wares and the trickle of adventurers, seeking fame and fortune or the vagabond ragtags who live in society's fringe, begin to be drawn to the place in hopes of a better life. The tavern overflows with a steady turn of patrons, friends meeting, card games risked, toasts and salutes raised. The hearth fires are warm and inviting though some of the patrons less so, though the landlord and staff keep the place welcoming to all.

One group of shifty looking characters, complete with a ten foot pole and several unlit torches sit on some benches by the wall.

Another group of rowdy horn-helmed northmen drink from overflowing tankards in the opposite corner. They seem to be holding a drinking contest and two burly muscled bound barbarians arm wrestle as other bet on the winner.

By the fire two men sit. One is fingering a rosary and mutters under his breath in a strange language, a wild look in his eyes. The second stares into the bottom of an empty glass.

Some dungaree wearing locals, farmers by their garb, chat over the gaming table. You can overhear conversation about the weather and strange things wandering the woods. Some rangers were supposed to have set traps in the wood last month but no one has caught sight or sound of them since.

At another table three dwarves spit and polish some shields while a fourth is writing out several parchments with a stern gaze as he scribes.

you may post here as you arrive and introduce your character.

Attachments
The tavern
The tavern
f55b95ab8c4537c8db70b31a9da8e3e7.jpg (137.07 KiB) Viewed 7171 times
Last edited by Spearmint on Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Helix: The Brazen Strumpet

#2 Post by Stirling »

"This must be the place." he says to himself.

Vann Hector steps off the back of a wagon, having traversed the trail from Ironguard in the east. He has kept moving west and this is about as far as he can go. Besides the rumours and stories, blagged in taverns and street corners throughout the Duchy prick his pointed ears with the lure of discovered relics, trinkets and buried gold.

Thirsty after the morning travel he enters the tavern, walking to the bar. I prop my backpack on a chair and survey the hall before ordering.

"Hello barkeeper. I'll have a tankard of your ale please. Perhaps some bread and stew if you have. I dodged the rat chefs outside. Local delicacy?"

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Spearmint »

Bollo, the burly man wipes a few glasses with a towel which he tosses across his shoulder. There are a choice of ales, some full of hops and barley, cloudy with sediments that float in the ruby coloured liquid. Another is pale but pumped from the draught cask with a creamy head. He pours that and pushed the glass down the bar.

"Stew we have. Ours doesn't go squeak though. More like 'woof'." he says trying to keep a stern face. It seems he teases the newcomer.

"Plenty of bread too. Those are the Miller's gang over there and they grind the flour just so fine. Be a nice warm bowl to fill you after the travel. Thaw has come early this year and more folk seem keen to take advantage."

He takes a coin to cover expenses. I will add a menu and price to the tavern intro.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#4 Post by Bluetongue »

Golgarth enters the tavern, the chink of loose fitting chain heard with each step as he gets to the bar. There is nothing remarkable about him. He looks distinctly 'run of the mill', which is also his trade.

Around his neck he wears a symbol of one of the old gods. Cromm of the Anganach. He believes his historical brotherhood helped establish this region and drive of the abominations and aberrations which dwelt here. The frontier civilized under Cromm's might hand and occasionally his hammer. Drawn to the town following persistent rumours that abominations stalk the land and the faith is wanting. He hopes to re-establish some presence of his god and help drive off whatever lurks invisible in the moorish fog.

He smells the stew as the waitress passes a bowl under his nose.

"Please Sir, would you mind. That looks greater than temptation to an empty stomach.' he orders some if available with some ale.

"The ruby one. What is it called?"

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#5 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Dalin the dwarf walks into the tavern and takes down his hood takes a look around at the patrons to get a gauge on who is about and what kind of folk they are. After taking it all in he walks up to the bar and asks "My good barkeep do you have any stuffed bread, you know the kind stuffed with meat and cheese baked to perfection? Oh and maybe some strong dwarf ale or spirits?" then turning and looking at the folks sitting at the bar he nods his head in greeting "Good day to you sirs."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Rex »

Orgoth

Orgoth walks in, his helm in one hand, his messy black hair hanging to his shoulders. He looks about accessing the patrons. He wanders to the Dwarf, "My name is Orgoth, do you mind if I sit here?"

GreyWolfVT

#7 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Dalin eyes Orgoth for a second it looks like a fight might break out then he smiles and steps out of the way "The seat is all yours Orgoth. I was just standing and asking about some food and drink." he waves a hand at the seat indicating it is all Orgoths.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Rex »

Orgoth

"Thanks, have you been here long? I am looking to do some exploring and heard this was a good place to find like minded individuals."

GreyWolfVT

#9 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Dalin "No I haven't been here long, how about you?" he pauses long enough for an answer "Hmm something to do well I did see something about bees on the board in town."

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Spearmint »

Bollo serves more ales

-1sp each and shouts to the kitchen for "more stew. Stick in some extra 'taters and neeps', bring out the 'extra crusty', stick the seasonal fungi and eggs on the pot..."
My good barkeep do you have any stuffed bread ...
"We do Sir dwarf. Mighty fine too. 'Roasties are a favoured herb flavoured delicacy here. Garlic mushrooms, creek shrimp, crayfish and frog's legs." He nods to a chalkboard listing the 'soup of the day', 'stew of the day', 'lefover stew of yesterday'.

It offers everything from mixed grill meat feasts to ploughman's luncheon of bread and cheese, priced accordingly.

Golgarth, Dalin, Orgoth, Vann Hector you are all served and can stay at the long bar or take a bench and table.

The patrons drink in noisy groups apart from the pair who stare at empty glasses in some distress. You note another guy who stumbled in from outside. He has a mad look about him. Drooling from the mouth and gesturing in front of his face as if flapping at buzzing flies. He is disheveled and carries a tin mug which rattles with the few copper pieces that he has been able to grift. Alastar is a beggar and looks around before grabbing an emptied plate and licking the gravy, runs back out to sit on the verandah.

"Poor man ... here comes the lunatic ... he was a famed knight once .... He's a knightmare now ... filthy bastard, smells as bad as a rat's arse" you here several comments regarding his appearance. Most just ignore him He seems to be a permanent fixture in the market area.

GreyWolfVT

#11 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Dalin pays for the ale and asks for "Two Roasties then please. Oh and something for that fellow to drink." he indicates the beggar Alastar. Then pays for it all.

deducted sp on sheet
Last edited by GreyWolfVT on Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Stirling »

Vann Hector

The elf takes his ale and food, poking s finger at the neat pieces and sniffing them. "Woof?". He gets the jest, hopefully though dog meat would not be the worst he had eaten.

He will eat then try to familiarise himself with the miller crew. "Excuse me sirs. I overheard you speak of missing rangers? Were they patrolling some area or just out hunting? I have heard rumours of 'stranger things'. What is the truth of these matters?"

I want to garner a few rumours that might interest me. My experience is that rangers are highly skilled me, so there disappearance would be something to enquire about.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Rex »

Orgoth

"Missing rangers, did I hear that right. I wonder if a search party is forming?" He takes an ale.

SP deducted.

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#14 Post by Nordbo »

Cosmo Snag

saunters in, heads for the bar, stands on his toes and orders a pint of the thickest mead possible.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#15 Post by Bluetongue »

Golgarth

Is troubled by the sight of the obviously trouble man and overheard the comments regarding his imbecility.

Though he doesn't know the dwarf who may have travelled in the wagon train, he respects his compassion for considering the beggar's misfortune.

"Please, let me help also. Maybe a full stomach will help liberate the man's mind. An adventurer? Perhaps we can find the root of his condition or learn from his experience."

He will go with the dwarf Dalin and feed the beggar Alastar on the verandah of the tavern.

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#16 Post by Nordbo »

Cosmo

Picks up Golgarth's words and quickly updates his order: "Uh, my best landlord, pray make that two pints", pays & tips (how much?), grabs both jugs and follows Golgarth and Dalin out on the verandah.
"Could not help hear your charitable intentions, good fellows. This poor wretch must be thirsty, too"
, indicating that one jug is for the beggar. "Name's Cosmo, by the way".

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Urson »

Mai Ronin
An Elvish woman enters, pausing at the door to let her eyes adjust to the lighting. She is very pale, with a long black braid. Her leather armor is highly decorated (like most high- end Elvish armor) in an unfamiliar style.
She drops her pack beside her chair, and orders a mug of hard cider. Her voice is musical, and her accent is light and sing song.
She watches the activity in the common room, clearly trying to get a sense of the place.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Spearmint »

Brazen Strumpet Tavern
"Excuse me sirs. I overheard you speak of missing rangers? Were they patrolling some area or just out hunting? I have heard rumours of 'stranger things'. What is the truth of these matters?"
Vann Hector budges in on the millers as they eat and discuss. "Aye. Well nothing is known for sure. Old Basil and his crew, bunch of poachers but that is by the by. They have the sense, you know, to perceive tracks and traces. Caught many a stag or doe. Wore a bearskin so I assume he caught that too. Trekked out south with the first rains hoping to snag 'a big one'. Just hoping and praying he and his men were not the ones snagged."

The millers express a concern. Basil had said he would have returned weeks ago, so they fear the worst. "He went to the Moorwash headwaters, where the marsh drains and salmon prance. Vina, the millers wife was a niece so she worries about him. Any news would be welcomed I'm sure."

Vann Hector and Orgoth take it in. You can ask more questions.
Last edited by Spearmint on Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Spearmint »

The Brazen Strumpet Tavern

Outside, sitting crossed legged on the verandah is the beggar Alastar. He is dressed in fetid rags, wrapping what looks like some hounds stolen dog blanket around him for warmth. His sandals worn, around his neck several strands of lucky charms and holy symbols mixed in with buds of garlic and sprigs of pungent herbs.

He picks the plate clean then licks some more before gnawing in his own arm. You can see many teeth marks and scars. A faded shoulder tattoo peeking out from under his torn jerkin.

Golgarth, Dalin and Cosmo approach him with tankards and plates. He is very wary of your approach but the steady downpour over the square and the smell of food cause him not to flee. He stuffs mouthfuls of roasted potatoes in his mouth, more than he can swallow in one go. He gestures his approval even as he drools and mocks this trio of people aiding him by pointing out your relative height difference.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Spearmint »

The Brazen Strumpet Tavern

Mai enters. The eyes of the patrons look at her briefly then turn back to their own affairs. Foreigners are tolerated you think by most locals and welcomed by others whose patronage you give. One of the wenches passes you, complimenting your attire. " New here? A drink? Cider we have, locally grown and pressed." she brings the drink -2sp and whispers, "I would mind him love. All groping hands and lechery. Thinks he is bigger than his boots." she nods in the direction of the 10'ft-pole adventuring group and a tall man who watches the elf with interest.

Return to “Settlement: Helix”